NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Nintendo Direct ( 8th March 10pm )

Still, I find it a bit odd that we heard nothing about Fire Emblem.

Probably an E3 showing with an October/November release date? 

Terrible Direct. Very disappointing.

Oh sorry, so used to typing that afterwards. They knocked this one out of the park. 

• Haha 3
  • Weird 2

I'm surprised they announced Smash now, I thought it would come at E3. I guess it means they can just go more in depth with the E3 coverage and just build hype. Also surprised that we didn't see anything on Yoshi, I assume they've moved it to the latter half of the year to space out the release schedule.

Will definitely be getting Okami, Captain Toad, Undertale and South Park, not sure if i'll double dip on Little Nightmares though considering I played it on PS4 and it does look less impressive graphically.

WOHcxbV_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Cant say I’ve ever seen that on the bottom of my phone screen before!

10/10 Direct, would Direct again! :D 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Definitely not a bad Direct by any means, but the fact that I don't care much for Splatoon left me lukewarm at the end. Good to see stuff still coming out for the 3DS, though.

I'm legitimately surprised to not see anything on Fire Emblem 16. All I wanted was to see an army of skeletons, Nintendo. y u do dis?  No, Undertale doesn't count

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

10/10 Direct, would Direct again! :D 

Seriously, I think that's probably the best Nintendo Direct yet.

Flew through the 3DS stuff, threw a couple of Switch titles our way...check the clock and we're only 13 minutes in. A little break for some tennis talk, before returning with a slew of great third party and indie titles, as well as that Dark Souls amiibo. I have to admit, that rather long focus on Splatoon 2 prior to Smash at the end threw me off a little bit, and I though we might be lazily winding it down...but nope.

They smashed that Smash button.

For now, I think there's a lot to enjoy from this Direct, but it does leave me with some questions going forwards: where's Fire Emblem, and does this make it more or less difficult to manage fan expectations going into E3? 

Edited by Julius Caesar

New Smash and Fire Emblem are coming, we all know what that means.

Spoiler

More Fire Emblem characters for Smash.

• Haha 5

Are people legit wondering about fire emblem? 

I mean, I personally found it a breath of fresh air that we didn't actually hear anything about it for a change. 

Still, there's like 89 FE games launching in April alone right? So there's pleeeennntttyyyy more opportunities to be bombarded by it! :D

6 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

Still, there's like 89 FE games launching in April alone right? So there's pleeeennntttyyyy more opportunities to be bombarded by it! :D

Which ones?

• Weird 1

:cry:My Wallet RIP.

Going in with little expectation apart from Mario Tennis stuff, that was an awesome thrill ride of constant megaton bombardment that has left me with a huge grin.  Nothing can bring today down now.

• Thanks 1

The one disappointment is that Luigi's Mansion wasn't also announced for Switch, I would love to replay it but I would rather see it as an HD remaster so hopefully it comes to Switch eventually.

• Like 1

One of their best Directs ever, legit shocked how good it was, especially given E3 is three months away.

Captain Toad, fuck yes. I'll be buying about half the games they showed off.

That Smash tease was beautiful.

9 hours ago, Dyson said:

- Crash Bandicoot Switch

Was this revealed during the direct? If so:

200.gif

Switch is on fire. Still not for me, but hey. The more people are able to play some of the greatest games (Crash, Dark Souls, Okami, South Park, etc) the better :peace:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Was this revealed during the direct? 

Yeah, it was heavily hinted at before the Direct, as were a few of the announcements.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, it was heavily hinted at before the Direct, as were a few of the announcements.

Ah well, in that case @Dyson's prediction wasn't all that impressive. :p

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Helmsly said:

This was in the Japanese version of the direct

Would kill for a Uk version of this!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Esequiel said:

Would kill for a Uk version of this!

As would most of us but sadly...

:( 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

On 07/03/2018 at 9:41 PM, ArtMediocre said:

I'm not holding my breath for any new games or reveales. Anything new will be an added bonus.

In my eyes, this will be more of a promotion for Detective Pikachu and for Aces. Probably some Kirby too.

OH MAN WAS I EVER THIS WRONG??

After the 3DS part of yesterday's direct, I was just sitting there with a huge grin on my face. When they announced Okami and South Park, I was sold. When they announced Undertale and Little Nightmares, I was blown away. When they revealed Smash, I lost all my shit. This must've been the best direct in years!

Well to temper my hype I ignored the direct, I kept playing Star Trek Online (loving the Walker Class more than my Vengence for some reason) got tired and went to bed at 10:30, thinking i'll wake up and whilst everyone else is disappointed, I will be surprised.

God damn I got that wrong!

I don't know where to start! Smash, South Park, Octopath, Okami, Captain Toad the list just went on and on! what the hell are they going to announce at E3 that they had to blow their load for now?

The King is back baby

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Time to see what the Allies thought about the Direct.

Kinda Funny's reaction to Captain Toad and Smash was brilliant, shame an even more annoying than usual Jared was there as well to spoil things.

My thoughts on the Direct as I watched it:

3DS

WarioWare: really wished this was on Switch instead. Happy to see the 3DS die at this point; Switch is doing so well that I don't see why they can't just focus all their efforts there.

Dillon game: looked atrocious, probably the worst thing shown! Thought it was very odd for a game that looks like this to come out in 2018. Can't see this doing very well in the UK.

Mario and Luigi: no interest in this...never had interest in any of these games.

Detective Pikachu: no.

Luigi's Mansion original level: pretty cool for those that want it, but not something I'd be interested in.

Switch

Kirby: looked like another Kirby cash in. Didn't see any real ideas worthy of a new title here, but obviously turns Nintendo a buck.

Okami: Christ, I forget there are still platforms that the game hasn't been released on. Fantastic game, but at this point I'd be shocked if people didn't already have a system it was released on.

Octopath traveller: looks excellent, and one of the better and more interesting things shown. My only fear is that the RPG story will be a little on the generic/traditional side (a la Bravely Default) rather than something like FFIX (which is still traditional but has a good/interesting story).

No More Heroes sequel: looks decent, could be worth a look.

Dark Souls + amiibo: I'm no amiibo fan, but I could see that amiibo being desired by those interested in them. Clever tie in, although it does devalue the brand a little to see it pawned out to a toy. Still, Dark Souls is excellent and the fact it's coming to Switch soon is good news for the uninitiated.

Mario Tennis: one of the worst things shown in my opinion. Watching this was like watching paint dry, except probably less interesting. Them "new features" like being able to pause to aim your shot seemed like absolute garbage - who came up with that? This just really doesn't interest me at all.

Captain Toad: no interest in Captain Toad, and that hasn't changed.

Undertale: awesome. Everyone should check this game out when it hits, if you haven't already.

Crash Bandicoot: cool. Got this already on PS4, although haven't got too far with it.

Little Nightmares: genuinely interesting, and something I might consider getting at some point.

South Park: very good for Nintendo's image, and although I've not heard stellar things it's a good thing to have available.

Hyrule Warriors: I'm quite interested in this, having never got the previous ones. Even though it's the "Warriors" format, I've heard it's a good take and it's the kind of thing I could see myself dipping into. I'll probably get it when the price is right.

Splatoon 2 DLCs and shtuff: no interest in this at all.

Smash reveal: doesn't excite me at all to be honest. Melee was absolute gold, but the games since haven't been nearly as good. It also seems like it's a port/compilation, so I don't see the potential for it to be a new game that takes it back in the right direction.

All in all there is a decent amount of stuff here, and variety. A fair number of ports but still something for everyone. Admittedly, a lot of it doesn't excite me or apply, but there's some things I can see myself getting. I see the Switch as a good secondary console at this point, with the option to pick up games I didn't already get on my other consoles that I can play when travelling.

Edited by Sheikah

I thought it was a pretty good Direct. Yes, there's quite a few ports coming but there's plenty variety within the games shown that'll tickle most people's fancy over the next couple of months.

Happy to see Okami HD come to the platform and with it having touch screen controls, I'm slightly gutted I picked it up on the PS4 last year. Can't justify another purchase of it, no matter how much I love the game, especially with so many good games releasing on all platforms at the moment.

Slightly shocked there wasn't a cheeky Burnout Paradise Remastered announcement. I'd have thought it'd be a no brainer for EA as it's a low cost port, even if EA are a bit cagey on release on Nintendo hardware. Had hoped for a bit more indie news but perhaps we're due a Nindies direct soon to cover that as the likes of Morphies Law and She Has Caterpillars (Think that's what it's called) should be nearing completion and a cheeky Into The Breach announcement would've been awesome for some on the go play.

Don't think they needed to spend so long on Mario Tennis Aces or Splatoon 2 (the trailer for the latter seemed to go on for ages) but other than that it was well done and very straight to the point. The Smash reveal could've been better as the inklings being included was pretty much a given whenever a new Smash came about. Have a feeling it'll be their big game to help push the paid online in the latter half of the year (alongside a few other big hitting online games, such as a possible GTA 5 port which rockstar would be stupid to leave given just how much the game is still selling).

Sign in to follow this