Sign in to follow this  
Falcon_Black

Nintendo Switch: One Year Later

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, DazzeL said:

Is 500k good enough to keep EA interested though?

 

I imagine they made a good profit but that’s still a very small share of overall FIFA sales.

It will be interesting to see how much they made on Ultimate Team on the Switch. That's where EA make a killing on FIFA and if it hasn't performed well in that mode then I can't imagine EA being happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, I thought I clicked on the thread where we talk about the Switch so far.

I swear, whenever a podcast gets mentioned, you guys always get distracted with talking about the people hosting it. It's kinda funny.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FIFA seems always to be in the charts when it comes to digital sales, but I don't know how much that means.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L21 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Sorry, I thought I clicked on the thread where we talk about the Switch so far.

I swear, whenever a podcast gets mentioned, you guys always get distracted with talking about the people hosting it. It's kinda funny.

giphy.gif

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Sorry, I thought I clicked on the thread where we talk about the Switch so far.

Let’s get back ot then! 

My first year of Switch was.... weird, I guess?

A lot of mixed sentiments actually. I was heavilly invested in the Wii U even though I of course saw its shortcomings. Nonetheless I bought and enjoyed a lot of the games for it and spent a lot of time with it. Played so many hours of Smash, Kart and Splatoon. And then the Switch was announced.

The hardware seemed amazing to me, right from the start I was wowed. This was Nintendo making a huge step in the right direction.

But then I saw the line up of games and I got really sour; BotW, Splatoon, Mario Kart all felt like ports to me. 1-2 Switch, yeah... It took me a few weeks before I took the plunge and pre ordered it. But a part of the feeling stuck with me.

Am I really buying a piece of hardware even though none of the launch games excite me? I decided to cancel my BotW pre order for Wii U so I at least had a game to play on it that I was excited for. But that actually felt like I was making a joke out of myself in a way. Not a good start at all.

Then came launch day and I was very impressed with the hardware. The premium feel, the weight, the crispness of the screen, the click when attatching the Joy-Cons, it was all perfect. And then that moment when I first booted up BotW: instant magic and awe. I was sold.

But my sour feeling when it comes to the line up isn’t totally gone. It still isn’t. The latest Direct gave us even more ports.

Of course I understand the desicion business wise as a huge group of new players didn’t get the chance before. But I am not one of these gamers. I have had those experiences before, they don’t wow me as much as new first party Nintendo games normaly and frequently do and should do. 

Still I play the console a lot more than I played the Wii U. And that’s due to its portability feature. It’s its greatest unique selling point. And its second selling point is the massive Indie support which is trully great! Enough to be very enthusiastic about the console.

Third party support is promising BUT it still feels fragile. Don’t want to forget it came of the back of the Wii U which almost totally killed any future Third Party support for Nintendo hardware. So any support feels like a step in the good direction. But I also remember the early Wii U days. That console got Assassins Creed, CoD, NfS and Monster Hunter for example. All franchises that yet have to occur on Switch and that we still have heard nothing about. I will remain catious with my expectations for now.

So yeah, the Switch is giving me more gaming time than I’ve ever had before. Its convenience is something that keeps me from gaming on other hardware. And that has sold me on it. Software wise it’s not close yet to making me a perfectly happy gamer. It’s first party offerings rely to much on ports and sequels, it’s third party offerings look promising but fragile. Indie support is overwhelming.

Let’s hope its second year will bring more new stuff for the fans that stayed with them during their less succesful periods.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Weird 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2018 at 8:39 AM, markderoos said:

Let’s get back ot then! 

My first year of Switch was.... weird, I guess?

A lot of mixed sentiments actually. I was heavilly invested in the Wii U even though I of course saw its shortcomings. Nonetheless I bought and enjoyed a lot of the games for it and spent a lot of time with it. Played so many hours of Smash, Kart and Splatoon. And then the Switch was announced.

The hardware seemed amazing to me, right from the start I was wowed. This was Nintendo making a huge step in the right direction.

But then I saw the line up of games and I got really sour; BotW, Splatoon, Mario Kart all felt like ports to me. 1-2 Switch, yeah... It took me a few weeks before I took the plunge and pre ordered it. But a part of the feeling stuck with me.

Am I really buying a piece of hardware even though none of the launch games excite me? I decided to cancel my BotW pre order for Wii U so I at least had a game to play on it that I was excited for. But that actually felt like I was making a joke out of myself in a way. Not a good start at all.

Then came launch day and I was very impressed with the hardware. The premium feel, the weight, the crispness of the screen, the click when attatching the Joy-Cons, it was all perfect. And then that moment when I first booted up BotW: instant magic and awe. I was sold.

But my sour feeling when it comes to the line up isn’t totally gone. It still isn’t. The latest Direct gave us even more ports.

Of course I understand the desicion business wise as a huge group of new players didn’t get the chance before. But I am not one of these gamers. I have had those experiences before, they don’t wow me as much as new first party Nintendo games normaly and frequently do and should do. 

Still I play the console a lot more than I played the Wii U. And that’s due to its portability feature. It’s its greatest unique selling point. And its second selling point is the massive Indie support which is trully great! Enough to be very enthusiastic about the console.

Third party support is promising BUT it still feels fragile. Don’t want to forget it came of the back of the Wii U which almost totally killed any future Third Party support for Nintendo hardware. So any support feels like a step in the good direction. But I also remember the early Wii U days. That console got Assassins Creed, CoD, NfS and Monster Hunter for example. All franchises that yet have to occur on Switch and that we still have heard nothing about. I will remain catious with my expectations for now.

So yeah, the Switch is giving me more gaming time than I’ve ever had before. Its convenience is something that keeps me from gaming on other hardware. And that has sold me on it. Software wise it’s not close yet to making me a perfectly happy gamer. It’s first party offerings rely to much on ports and sequels, it’s third party offerings look promising but fragile. Indie support is overwhelming.

Let’s hope its second year will bring more new stuff for the fans that stayed with them during their less succesful periods.

Good to see the perspective of someone who was deep in with the Wii U.

Im hoping this is the year of the "true" Switch games, I have a feeling Pikmin 4 is coming.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed that first year, Zelda, Xenoblade, Mario, DOOM, Shovel Knight TT & Blaster Master Zero were all great and Snipperclips was great fun too!

I’ve not really played much else on the console as the other games couldn’t really hold my attention as much on the commute... and when playing at home/online, other than the games above, the PS4 has more enjoyable games.

I’m hoping for more 3rd Party games in year 2. Other than Metroid Prime 4, no other announced Nintendo games interest me for year 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2018 at 10:16 AM, Kav said:

I enjoyed that first year, Zelda, Xenoblade, Mario, DOOM, Shovel Knight TT & Blaster Master Zero were all great and Snipperclips was great fun too!

I’ve not really played much else on the console as the other games couldn’t really hold my attention as much on the commute... and when playing at home/online, other than the games above, the PS4 has more enjoyable games.

I’m hoping for more 3rd Party games in year 2. Other than Metroid Prime 4, no other announced Nintendo games interest me for year 2.

What about after that Direct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, King_V said:

What about after that Direct?

Okami HD is the only game I’m hyped for nothing else really got me going, although I might pick up Dark Souls... I’m not too excited about Smash just yet as it’s dependent on how it plays online, as on the WiiU Smash was near enough an unplayable mess!

Edited by Kav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kav said:

Okami HD is the only game I’m hyped for nothing else really got me going, although I might pick up Dark Souls... I’m not too excited about Smash just yet as it’s dependent on how it plays online, as on the WiiU Smash was near enough an unplayable mess!

I see a few people mention this. I mean, I know Brawl was pretty bad, but I had very little problems playing Smash 4 with N-Europe. It was pretty smooth 90% of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I see a few people mention this. I mean, I know Brawl was pretty bad, but I had very little problems playing Smash 4 with N-Europe. It was pretty smooth 90% of the time.

Lucky bugger! Haha

Nintendo need to show me they can do online properly before I buy anymore multiplayer games, their service best have some industry standards!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kav said:

Lucky bugger! Haha

Nintendo need to show me they can do online properly before I buy anymore multiplayer games, their service best have some industry standards!

The actual playing part works great in Splatoon 2 and MK.

 

It’s the rest of the service that needs sorting. Parking voice chat for one moment but not even being able to send text based messages to friends is just so annoying.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Kav said:

Okami HD is the only game I’m hyped for nothing else really got me going, although I might pick up Dark Souls... I’m not too excited about Smash just yet as it’s dependent on how it plays online, as on the WiiU Smash was near enough an unplayable mess!

 

6 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I see a few people mention this. I mean, I know Brawl was pretty bad, but I had very little problems playing Smash 4 with N-Europe. It was pretty smooth 90% of the time.

Yeah, I think this is a common belief due to both Brawl and Smash 4’s online performance being pretty flaky at launch, but as anyone who stuck with the games will know, they improved and stabilised over time. Especially Smash 4, which considering the insane amount of stuff going on in that game runs incredibly well online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RedShell said:

 

Yeah, I think this is a common belief due to both Brawl and Smash 4’s online performance being pretty flaky at launch, but as anyone who stuck with the games will know, they improved and stabilised over time. Especially Smash 4, which considering the insane amount of stuff going on in that game runs incredibly well online.

This could possibly be because people stopped playing the game online and so the servers didn’t struggle as much with less players, no? ::shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kav said:

This could possibly be because people stopped playing the game online and so the servers didn’t struggle as much with less players, no? ::shrug:

Probably. Either way, if you go and play Smash Bros. online on Wii U or 3DS right now, chances of it being an unplayable mess are somewhere between slim and none.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this