NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Falcon_BlizZACK

Nintendo Switch: One Year Later

I think its fate that got me thinking of these forums around the anniversary of the Switch's release...

How do you now feel about the console? How is it compared to Nintendo's last few console first year releases? Did you think this console would reach this level of success ((especially during "mid-gen")?

Im very happy with the system and it has been a source of constant joy since its release. Today last year, I remember the joy of receiving my switch from the local depo (after a nerve wrecking missed delivery even though I was at home...*grumble*). The sheer joy of this curious yet cute system coupled with a new Zelda trumped any other console release for me. I couldn't believe how I was feeling as a 30 year old, having sold my Wii U half way through its life cycle and never wanting to complete Skyward Sword - I never imagined my love for gaming would be reignited quite like this....The next few days was gaming heaven, as I booked days off of work and camped with my beanbag and snacks in front of the living room with BOTW with stretches of gaming which most likely hit 24 hours, and with a few intermittent handheld experiences with Fast RMX. I was going through some relationship trouble around that time too (Im now single lol), so the memories are very poignant and my attachment to the Switch became a very personal one as I asscociated it and BOTW as an escape from the downs of real life.

Today, Im still just as in love with BOTW because of that connection... I am going to start a 3rd playthrough on master mode as I cant seem to get enough of the initial emotive memories of being on Plateau, hearing the first tower theme and seeing the first sunset as I approach my first shrine. The Switch has exceeded my expectations entirely and everything else from this point for me would be a bonus. 

Thank you Nintendo! Happy birthday Switch!

image1_1.jpg

Edited by King_V
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

To me, Switch is... perfect.  Sheer perfection.  It has replaced the 3DS XL as my main handheld, and has made me never want a console connected to the TV again (although it's good that you can do it).  I like the traditional controls, with real consideration towards the owner whether you want Wi-Fi or Bluetooth on or off.  I even like the fact it can't browse the web, because I feel it keeps the machine more secure.  The friend system is good, and I like to keep up to date with what people are playing, including yourself. @King_V.

Every "big" game I've played on the Switch - Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Skyrim, Dragon Quest Builders - has had perfect graphics.  Each of those is hi-res, with the ability to see massively into the distance, enabling you to easily identify specific enemies and items from afar.  We are finally at that point where I simply don't want better visuals, and on a handheld too!

The eShop has been excellent too - near-enough parity with the other consoles, and a plethora of high-quality 2D games.  Best of all, for me, is the growing range of Neo Geo and coin-op classics.  My favourites are Metal Slug and (finally!) the true version of Double Dragon.  There's a real chance of Switch becoming the arcade machine I used to dream about in childhood.

Did I expect Switch to be as successful as it is?  No, although I suspected it would be popular when I saw the first official trailer for the machine and 1-2 Switch.  They seemed to be tapping into the trendiness of the Wii.  The fact they've been able to do that with a machine that's not very much like it is impressive indeed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lot of my initial excitement has disappeared. When I first got it I really liked being able to swap between handheld and tv and figured that I would start buying a lot of my games for it instead of elsewhere as long as there was no obvious downgrades but unfortunately it just didn't work out that way. I enjoyed Mario and Zelda but apart from that its fallen a bit flat and I haven't really touched it in months.

The Switch has already cemented itself as my favourite console of all time. It has been a pure joy owning one for this first year. Zelda, Mario, Splatoon 2 and ARMS are some of the best games I've played in years, not to mention the wonders of the indie titles. Long may the momentum carry Nintendo forward, can't wait to see what the next 4 or so years have in store. What a turnaround from the Wii U.

• Like 1

Glad to have you back @King_V! Like you I was really excited for the launch of the Switch this time last year, my excitement was curbed somewhat by Nintendo failing to deliver it on launch day so I had to wait until the Saturday to get my hands on it and it was certainly worth the wait. In the ensuing 12 months I've played a tonne of games on it, far more than I did in my first year with the Wii U or 3DS. Looking through the monthly summaries on the parental controls app there was only one month where I spent less than an hour a day on average with the console and most of the other months are 2 hours plus each day so my interest in the system has definitely held over the course of the year. 

There are still a tonne of games that I haven't got round to buying or playing yet (will be starting Xenoblade 2 very soon) so even if there aren't any more releases for the Switch this year I'm sure I'd still get plenty of play out of it, really looking forward to seeing what else is in store this year.

• Like 1

Initially I was quite skeptical but I've used the Switch on several occasions last year and I've come to like the concept.
I would want one if it wasn't for the lackluster lineup so far. Nothing aside from Super Mario Odyssey interests me, almost all of the indie games I can play on my PS4 (or even Vita) and Metroid Prime 4 needs to show up.

As it stands right now it would be a waste of money I don't have.

I'm happy that the Switch is doing gangbusters, though. Really great to see Nintendo back on track. Still worried about the online service, though...

I guess I knew they were onto a winner when the initial reveal trailer came out and pretty much everyone in our N-E thread of all places was gushing over it. That said I didn't expect it to sell quite as much as it has, and certainly not to outsell Wii U in what, 10 months?
I adore it and as I type this I've just had a one hour and a half train journey pass quickly thanks to some Odyssey and Darkest Dungeon. 

Zelda made me feel like a kid again. It was a truly special experience playing that game and I haven't felt that way since Ocarina. 

I'm playing so many more games than I ever would have without it. Games I wouldn't have touched on PS4 or Wii U I'm playing and loving on Switch. The hardware is so good it makes people want to play games on it. 

The Pro Controller is easily the most comfortable I've used (though never had an Xbox to compare) and if that battery dies, 40 (!) hours later I'll pop the joy Con off and sit back hands apart and play just as comfortably. 

It's great to see Nintendo back on top again, and so they should be, it's a wonderful piece of kit.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ummed and aahed about getting one, eventually deciding not to, as I still had two or three games to play on PS4.

Then, my wife bought me one for my birthday in January as a total surprise, which was nice.

The hardware itself I am incredibly impressed with. It's completely changed how I game, meaning I can have it in the kitchen, and play for 10 minutes while I'm waiting for something, or play a short while before I go to bed. Because of this, I've managed more gaming in the month since I've got it, than I had for the six months previous, and managed to complete Mario Odyssey.

Since completing Mario, I admit I haven't really touched it in two weeks. That's mainly because I don't have any other games for it though, and there aren't any that interest me right now.

I do wish I'd got LA Noire for the Switch rather than the PS4 though, since it would be a lot easier to play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really enjoyed the Switch so far. The only thing wrong with it really is that the lack of "new" games that it has which aren't ports from other systems although in some cases getting to play Rocket League, Fast RMX and FIFA 18 on it was a welcome addition.

Only 5 "boxed games" owned so far which admittedly is about the same amount of boxed games growth my game collection tends to garner per console. For instance, after owning a 3DS for a year I only had four boxed games and while the Wii U grew to 5 games quickly, that was a console I picked up halfway through it's lifespan.

I'm a bit concerned about the lack of games I'm looking forward to on the console in the immediate future right now, Nintendo played many of their cards year one and the next year might be a bit light for the Switch. The games of interest I'm keeping an eye out for are Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon Switch but otherwise the games I'm looking forward to this year are on PS4 (Kingdom Hearts III, Soul Calibur VI and the new Spider-Man game)

For me, it’s all about the games. I don’t really play handheld so that feature (at the moment) is irrelevant. That said life changes and it’s great how flexible the system is.

As someone who has owned every Nintendo Home console apart from a Wii U, I’ve just loved the games. Zelda and Mario are great but it’s also stuff like Arms and Splatoon where the online multiplayer (my main passion) is basic but incredibly fun and different to the other consoles.

I do do wish the machine was a bit more powerful. It wouldn’t need too much more grunt and we could genuinely have some lower-res ports of next gen games but as it stands only certain ones will work and it’s very limited. I’m also really hoping for a modern online service when it launches but sceptical about it.

Looking to this year I’m already playing my Switch a lot less. I still play some Splatoon but the Xbox is taking my time back again. It’s all about the games - fingers  crossed for some announcements soon and please Smash!!

Initially, after BOTW leaving me disappointed, I immediately went back to gaming mostly on the 3DS. (Mario Kart aside) And even now, the Switch doesn't feel any more special than any other Ninty console, it just hasn't got that game that makes me go "OK, that was worth getting the Switch for."

Xenoblade 2 was good, despite it's flaws and I've spent well over 250 hours on Fire Emblem Warriors, but even that has some downsides. It says a lot that the game I'm most anticipating is probably going to be a WiiU port.

Switch is a slick piece of kit, but every time I see that UI, my inner child dies a little. My Ninty console should be one of the brightest, most garish gadgets I own, but it's outdone by my Android Phone, and all I did was put Kecleon wallpaper on the home screen.

I expect better.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

It says a lot that the game I'm most anticipating is probably going to be a WiiU port.

Devil's Third?

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 2

Just now, drahkon said:

Devil's Third?

That game's too good for the Switch.

• Haha 2

IGN did a one year anniversary special episode of NVC

I’ve given him a few weeks to improve as he settles into his new job, but I don’t like Filip. He constantly agrees with someone and then repeats exactly what that other person said only in a more long winded way. It’s annoying.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, londragon said:

I’ve given him a few weeks to improve as he settles into his new job, but I don’t like Filip. He constantly agrees with someone and then repeats exactly what that other person said only in a more long winded way. It’s annoying.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Agree. He adds absolutely nothing to the discussion. Gets his words mixed up often and just generally states the obvious. Unlike Peer, Brian and Zach he adds no insight into anything at all. 

Seems a nice guy but a wasted chair tbh. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I haven't watched the NVC special yet but while I'm sure Filip is still settling in, I liked it when it was Peer, Brian and Zach. The last few combinations have been disappointing and I don't think I've bothered to finish either episode..

37 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I haven't watched the NVC special yet but while I'm sure Filip is still settling in, I liked it when it was Peer, Brian and Zach. The last few combinations have been disappointing and I don't think I've bothered to finish either episode..

I have to agree. I’ve actually stopped listening to NVC, mainly because, while I can respect that Filip needs time to settle in, he’s just not clicking yet with me personally. I didn’t mind Jose, though he did seem to come off a bit too defensive of Nintendo for my liking at times, and thought that the trio of Peer, Zach and Brian was brilliant, because they already had an established chemistry and I already knew their opinions on Nintendo. Last time I listened (to the podcast), it seemed like Filip was trying a little too hard to settle in, so his opinions blurred in with everyone else’s, and I don’t know what angle he’s coming at a lot of this stuff with.

On a similar note, I actually stopped listening to Game Scoop! a couple of weeks back, too. Someone wrote in with their predictions for E3 2018 (and cast an almost all-encompassing net), and they talked about these predictions for the majority of the show. It just felt so lazy to pick up someone else’s completely uncertified opinions and run with them as a time fill, and it felt so unprofessional (and was frustrating for me) that many of them clearly have no idea what they’re talking about when it comes to what might turn up at E3. I also don’t mind podcast hosts making mistakes - I love EZA’s corrections segment - but they were just so consistent about making mistakes (whether it be game release dates, developers, publishers, etc.) that I couldn’t tell if I was listening to an industry journalist or a couple of casual gamers down a pub talking over a beer or two. 

The only IGN podcast that I actually still listen to is Beyond, and, for the most part, I really enjoy it. Max, Brian, Marty, Andrew and many of their guests have excellent chemistry, a deep knowledge of PlayStation, and just an overall passion for games, and a reverence for what other consoles are doing great at, which greatly contrasts with NVC - who deviate from talking about anything but Nintendo, to a degree which seems almost unnatural - and Unlocked - who seem hellbent on reviving the console wars. 

Just listened to that NVC special; agree with the comments on Filip, sadly, he may as well not be there.

Interestingly he said that FIFA 18 is the 2nd biggest selling 3rd party game on Switch, shifting over 500,000 copies world wide.  Not sure how well known that figure is, but first time I'd heard it.

1 hour ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Just listened to that NVC special; agree with the comments on Filip, sadly, he may as well not be there.

Interestingly he said that FIFA 18 is the 2nd biggest selling 3rd party game on Switch, shifting over 500,000 copies world wide.  Not sure how well known that figure is, but first time I'd heard it.

That's really good news, people were very negative about it on launch because of how poorly it performed in comparison to the PS4 and Xbox versions, it obviously wasn't going to sell those kinds of numbers but I knew it would be a consistent seller on the Switch, it recently had a price drop too so should shift even more copies. It definitely seems like it won't be the only FIFA that EA release on the platform, hopefully they give Bucharest a bit of a larger budget this time so they can iron out some of the issues, the gameplay is pretty solid but there are lot of weird oversights - the main one being lack of touch screen support when navigating menus. 

Also agree with everyone about Filip, he's far too passive and just seems to regurgitate info from press releases. I didn't ever really like Jose though but his style gelled a bit more with the likes of Brian and Peer.

So 500K is good? Which is the best selling third Party game (and does it include digital sales)?

I hope Doom did well (I still don't have it, will get it next month probably, just to many games to play right now).

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L21 using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, Kounan said:

So 500K is good? Which is the best selling third Party game (and does it include digital sales)?

I hope Doom did well (I still don't have it, will get it next month probably, just to many games to play right now).

Mario + Rabbids sold over 1 million and was number 1, again according to this podcast.

From what I could tell, this is just physical versions as well :)

Mario + Rabbids sold over 1 million and was number 1, again according to this podcast.
From what I could tell, this is just physical versions as well
OK, so they coun't it as third party. I hope we get numbers from other games.

Is 500k good enough to keep EA interested though?

I imagine they made a good profit but that’s still a very small share of overall FIFA sales.

All the IGN podcasts have been rough for a while now. I haven't cared for NVC for a long time, Podcast Unlocked have very little to actually talk about + you have to put up with Alannah Pearce and Beyond is garbage compared to when Colin and Greg hosted it, purely because none of them ( well, maybe Marty ) have any history or knowledge with Playstation. Brian has no business being on there. Dude constantly brings up Nintendo on the thing, much like when those lasses are on NVC and all they talk about is Pokemon or Animal Crossing, even if nobody else has mentioned them. I think there's only Ryan McCaffrey who is still there that is a good host. Some of the work he done on past Xbox podcasts was stellar, with 201 being one of my favourite podcasts across any channel.

Sign in to follow this