NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Nintendo subforum opinion on my(Rummy's) ongoing moderatorship (now open, all comments welcomed!)

Some members think Nintendo is the best console manufacturer there is. They might even think it’s a fact. And they might even continu to argue until they prove this. Of course it’s ridiculous to try and prove a company’s the best but on the other hand it’s very logical that these people will most likely be found on a Nintendo forum like this.

There are also members who are more neutral in their preferences. Some things are better on one console and some others things are better somewhere else. It’s also logical for these people to lurk around on a Nintendo forum. And we have a lot of them. 

And then there are members who dislike almost all things Nintendo does but still like a little part of the company, like for example one franchise or game. These people are also welcome.

In reality the members from the first and last group will often find themselves on different sides of a discussion. But sometimes these discussions will feel like an attack on something someone really loves or cares deeply about like voice chat, genwunners online services open world genres or whatever. That’s the moment when things can get out of hand here.

Members from the first group aren’t “blind biased idiots” or “the Nintendo Defense Force”. They’re just people with a deep love for the company and it’s products. Just like you don’t have to tell another guy that his girl- or boyfriend is ugly, you don’t have to insult something else that someone seems to deeply care about. As strange as that may sound to some, that’s how it works with some people and it’s something that you may disagree with but you should still respect it and keep it in minds when you give your opinion. Be civil in your your choice of words and stop arguing when you get trapped in a circle argument.

On the other hand, this also works the other way around. Some people who love only certain aspects of the company and its products also feel emotionally involved when they disagree with certain things Nintendo does (or don’t). And that’s why these members can come of too harsh or negative to members from the first group. Like someone can fall out of love with their girl- or boyfriend. You shouldn’t tell these people they should stay with their ex and that they have no valid reason to fall out of love. Also a case of respecting someone’s opinion and choice, as wrong as you might think they are.

In the end it’s all about respect and being civil. Especialy towards people with opposite opinions.

That way we can all make @Rummy‘s work a lot easier.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Since everyone has made long posts and I just don't have the time this will be bullet pointed

• nobody should step down
  • moderation doesn't have to be liked but should also be fair
  • you don't have to like other members
  • We should unban everyone (yes even the bots, some of their nonsense spawned funny posts) and then we can stop going on about who's been banned
  • also can we try and stop being personal?
  • forum membership should be increased
  • can't we all just get along?
  • Thanks 1

Just as a note, my input was not issuing Rummy or anyone to step down. Its just that its a shame the forums have not evolved from what I believe has been a consistent N-Europe issue. As @Clownferret said "it was allowed to continue because the protagonists were friends with the mod's", is the vibe I have always felt.

Its a shame because this time last year, I was posting a daily countdown to the Switch's launch, nervously excited for the 3rd of March 2017 to come... I am a true Nintendo fan, Im sure not without my community flaws, but in most cases I have been fairly reasonable in my communications... Only to be called a '(Nintendo) zealot' by a member of staff as they came in the defence of a "respected" forum member.

Whilst people should rightly be passionate about Nintendo on a Nintendo forum, there seem to have been (past tense, not sure if its changed) those who were pretty passionate and consistent with negative communication re Nintendo, including mods, which I feel is the reason for much more amped up beefs between members, because mods and the administrator do not seem to realize their clout when they choose to intervene in a discussion and lean towards one side, instead of being impartial. 

Anyway, Happy Switch birthday mofos!

Edited by King_V
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this