NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Pestneb

Defining titles

I was reading about the rumour about smash bros on the switch, and thought in many ways the switch library is looking really similar to the Wii U's... and it got me thinking about titles that define a console - the games that come to mind whenever you hear the consoles name. And then I was wondering if there would be consensus on what those titles ought to be...
For example, I had a few obscure titles on my nes, (Galaxy 5000, Asterix) which where both really solid games, and for me define my NES, but I'm fairly sure they wouldn't define THE Nes. On the other hand, super mario bros would probably fit comfortably....
So I was just wondering what titles people would say define Nintendo's "classic" consoles. (That is an arbitrary term, but I'd say GC and older, I won't argue some Wii titles are clear, even Wii U ones, but I just feel giving a bit more time for dust to settle makes things clearer, games you personally liked and really enjoyed vs games that were "defining") To be clear, these aren't necessarily the best of most popular games, although they are most likely to fall into one of those categories, but games that gave the console it's flavour.

I think we can quite easily get a Super Mario and Zelda title out of the way for each of Ninty’s home consoles from that period, for starters :p 

NES: Super Mario Bros. 3; The Legend of Zelda

SNES: Super Mario World; The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

N64: Super Mario 64; The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

GC: Super Mario Sunshine; The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

And, for handhelds, I think Pokémon titles take it for the Game Boy, Game Boy Colour and Game Boy Advance: Red/Blue/Yellow, Gold/Silver/Crystal, Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. 

Edited by Julius Caesar

Outside of Mario/Zelda/Pokemon:

NES: Duckhunt, Kirby, Mega Man, Castlevania, Donkey Kong, Super Mario Kart

GB: Tetris

SNES: F-Zero, DK Country, Star Fox, Killer Instinct

N64: Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Turok, Mario Kart, Smash, Banjo

GC: Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Wave Race, 1080, Rogue Squadron, Luigi’s Mansion, Smash

and that’s only quickly from the top of my head :)

I dunno, @markderoos. I'm gonna have to question Turok. That game's totally overshadowed by better FPS games on the console. In fact, it's even overshadowed by it's sequel.

I'm gonna throw in the original Golden Sun for the GBA. I know this is kinda anecdotal, but for some reason, everyone who had a GBA had this game. Probably because "Dem Graphix!!!"

I remember some jerk in secondary school, telling me to stop playing Pokemon Ruby and play a proper RPG like Golden Sun.

Naturally, the next day, I bought in my long completed copy and totally schooled him in multiplayer. If that was a movie, that would have made me cool. But it didn't. I was the best at the current trendy game to play and yet, that made me less cool. Which only proves that school kids are the worst.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markderoos said:

Outside of Mario/Zelda/Pokemon:

NES: Duckhunt, Kirby, Mega Man, Castlevania, Donkey Kong, Super Mario Kart

SNES: F-Zero, DK Country, Star Fox, Killer Instinct

N64: Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Turok, Mario Kart, Smash, Banjo

GC: Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Wave Race, 1080, Rogue Squadron, Luigi’s Mansion, Smash

and that’s only quickly from the top of my head :)

That's some powerful NES you got there! :D Also, the fact that you didn't put Super Mario Bros. 2 on the list saddens me. Poor Wart. :( 

• Haha 1

If we're limiting it to one title per console I'd say

NES: Super Mario Bros

SNES: Super Mario World

N64: Super Mario 64

GBA: ??

Gamecube: Smash

DS: Brain Training

Wii: Wii Sports

3DS: ??

Wii U: ??

Funnily enough I couldn't think of a system defining game for the GBA, 3DS and Wii U. Maybe Splatoon, NintendoLand or 3D World for Wii U. 

I'm surprised by the lack pf Metroid in this thread :O.

GC for me at least is Metroid Prime, smash and 1080, if you look past the obvious Zelda and Mario titles.

• Thanks 1

The titles that better encapsulate their consoles... that's a fun thing to think about, especially when they turn out to not be my favourites.

NES: Predictably, Super Mario Bros is the definitive title for it. It defined what a home console, single-player game was supposed to look like, and every successful game that came to the NES was inspired by it one way or the other. Some think SMB3 is better, but whether a game is "better" or not is besides the point. Honourable mention: Legend of Zelda did its own thing, and offered a template for the other exploration games that were to come (like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy)

Game Boy: Tetris. The Game Boy was destined to have different games from its bigger brothers, and Tetris encapsulates the crucial simplicity-yet-replayability aspect that every portable game ought to strive for. Honourable mentions: Super Mario Land 2 was the first game on the system that felt just as meaty and complete as a console game; Pokémon Red&Blue gave the system a new wind going into the GB Colour era.

Super Nintendo: As bland as I find it, Super Mario World had the clearest message to send on what the SNES was going for: look better than before, do more than before, and run wild with your ideas. Honourable mentions: Mega Man X was a much better example of a revamped franchise, notable because this series genuinely felt like it hit a glass ceiling; The SNES is also remembered for its RPGs, and no game better represents that genre than Chrono Trigger.

Nintendo 64: Super Mario 64 is another obvious answer, being the game that set the stage for what 3D gaming looked like for that period. Honourable mentions: Mario Kart 64 and Goldeneye 007 were the poster children for multiplayer gaming at the time, fitting for the generation that introduced 4-player gaming.

Game Boy Advance: I agree that this handheld had no obvious defining title, despite its very strong library. If I had to pick one, I'd go with Golden Sun, which is the one I most associate with the GBA. EDIT: After some consideration, Advance Wars is the game that best represents the GBA, as it was an original game made specifically for it, a gameplay style fit for a handheld, felt really fresh and colourful, and effort was put into pushing the console. That's an apt descriptor of the vast majority of notable games on the GBA, and Advance Wars shows these qualities in spades. Honourable mentions: Super Mario Advance was the first of many ports in the GBA library; Golden Sun is notable for being a traditional single-player adventure, pushing the GBA as much as it could (and then some), despite such things being usually meant for home consoles. I think the influence of that title is often understated.

Gamecube: When I think of this generation, I think of excellent games that weren't necessarily following an obvious trend. Thinking on those terms, not only is Super Smash Bros. Melee still unconventional (both as a fighting game and as a party game), it is such a good game that it single-handedly kept the GC controller alive to this day. It's definitely the GC game with the most influence. Honourable mentions: Metroid Prime and Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker were the best examples of classic series being given a fresh new take (Luigi's Mansion did it earlier, but these two games legitimized the idea); Pikmin was an encouragement for new ideas to flourish.

Nintendo DS: I'd say Nintendogs is the title that best represents the change in direction that the industry was seeing at the time, while also relying a lot in the DS itself. Honourable mentions: Another Code best represents the creative ways in which the DS could be used; Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass is the poster boy for how overused these features turned out to be (ironically, I think PH used them well, but it became a scapegoat for a bigger trend); EDIT: The DS also had an abundance of "lite" versions of more traditional experiences, a trend set by New Super Mario Bros

Wii: Wii Sports. Easy answer. Good representation of the console's strengths, and strongly influenced the entire industry at the time. Honourable mentions: Super Mario Galaxy was the poster boy for more traditional games on the Wii.

Nintendo 3DS: Another GBA situation, with a strong library, but no particular standouts. As such, I'm going with Fire Emblem Awakening and Kid Icarus Uprising, both of which I strongly associate with it. EDIT: Fire Emblem Awakening is the defining title here. Not an easy choice, considering the 3DS's varied and impressive library, but it showed the 3DS's technical capabilities early in its lifespan, made good use of Street- and Spotpass, and the way it popularized the series was the biggest sign of how relevant the console became. As a bonus, Awakening's story of unlikely success draws parallels with the rocky start that the 3DS had. Honourable mention: Super Mario 3D Land  was the first game to make really good use of the device's signature 3D.

Wii U: Nintendoland. A good game in theory, whose success was marred by poor marketing decisions, derived from an overestimation of how open the public was to its ideas. The story of Nintendoland is very much the story the Wii U. Honourable mentions: Super Mario Maker made the best use of the Wii U's features; Splatoon's notable in being a fresh game that nevertheless showed how good the Miiverse could be in a "traditional" genre.

EDIT: It might be a tad too soon for it, but I'll write something for the Switch as well.

Switch: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Huge single-player experience, major seller and a critical darling (surpassing the expectations of pretty much everybody). A game that shows the value of playing a big adventure on the go. Oh, and it's also a Wii U port. BotW seems to embody (almost) everything notable about the Switch. Honourable Mentions: Snipperclips was the first notable "small" eShop title in a console that's rapidly becoming famous for being the best platform for such small indie games.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think New Super Mario Bros. on the DS needs mentioning. That thing did amazing numbers and kicked started the series off.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I think New Super Mario Bros. on the DS needs mentioning. That thing did amazing numbers and kicked started the series off.

I did try to think of a platformer on the DS (since that platform was abundant with them), and for some reason that one slipped my mind! Good call.

On 24/02/2018 at 6:36 PM, Jonnas said:

The titles that better encapsulate their consoles... that's a fun thing to think about, especially when they turn out to not be my favourites.

NES: Predictably, Super Mario Bros is the definitive title for it. It defined what a home console, single-player game was supposed to look like, and every successful game that came to the NES was inspired by it one way or the other. Some think SMB3 is better, but whether a game is "better" or not is besides the point. Honourable mention: Legend of Zelda did its own thing, and offered a template for the other exploration games that were to come (like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy)

Game Boy: Tetris. The Game Boy was destined to have different games from its bigger brothers, and Tetris encapsulates the crucial simplicity-yet-replayability aspect that every portable game ought to strive for. Honourable mentions: Super Mario Land 2 was the first game on the system that felt just as meaty and complete as a console game; Pokémon Red&Blue gave the system a new wind going into the GB Colour era.

Super Nintendo: As bland as I find it, Super Mario World had the clearest message to send on what the SNES was going for: look better than before, do more than before, and run wild with your ideas. Honourable mentions: Mega Man X was a much better example of a revamped franchise, notable because this series genuinely felt like it hit a glass ceiling; The SNES is also remembered for its RPGs, and no game better represents that genre than Chrono Trigger.

Nintendo 64: Super Mario 64 is another obvious answer, being the game that set the stage for what 3D gaming looked like for that period. Honourable mentions: Mario Kart 64 and Goldeneye 007 were the poster children for multiplayer gaming at the time, fitting for the generation that introduced 4-player gaming.

Game Boy Advance: I agree that this handheld had no obvious defining title, despite its very strong library. If I had to pick one, I'd go with Golden Sun, which is the one I most associate with the GBA.

Gamecube: When I think of this generation, I think of excellent games that weren't necessarily following an obvious trend. Thinking on those terms, not only is Super Smash Bros. Melee still unconventional (both as a fighting game and as a party game), it is such a good game that it single-handedly kept the GC controller alive to this day. It's definitely the GC game with the most influence. Honourable mentions: Metroid Prime and Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker were the best examples of classic series being given a fresh new take (Luigi's Mansion did it earlier, but these two games legitimized the idea); Pikmin was an encouragement for new ideas to flourish.

Nintendo DS: I'd say Nintendogs is the title that best represents the change in direction that the industry was seeing at the time, while also relying a lot in the DS itself. Honourable mentions: Another Code best represents the creative ways in which the DS could be used; Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass is the poster boy for how overused these features turned out to be (ironically, I think PH used them well, but it became a scapegoat for a bigger trend).

Wii: Wii Sports. Easy answer. Good representation of the console's strengths, and strongly influenced the entire industry at the time. Honourable mentions: Super Mario Galaxy was the poster boy for more traditional games on the Wii.

Nintendo 3DS: Another GBA situation, with a strong library, but no particular standouts. As such, I'm going with Fire Emblem Awakening and Kid Icarus Uprising, both of which I strongly associate with it.

Wii U: Nintendoland. A good game in theory, whose success was marred by poor marketing decisions, derived from an overestimation of how open the public was to its ideas. The story of Nintendoland is very much the story the Wii U. Honourable mentions: Super Mario Maker made the best use of the Wii U's features; Splatoon's notable in being a fresh game that nevertheless showed how good the Miiverse could be in a "traditional" genre.

Pretty damn solid list.  I pretty much find no fault with it at all, outside of the GBA list.  All I'd say is that I'd add Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Wario Land 4 and Super Mario Advance to the GBA section (The first for being genre defining titles, where both series were brought to the west for the first time thanks to the GBA, the third for being the apex of a series that defined the entire line of Game Boy platforms and truly represented an "Advanced" take on action platformers thanks to the GBA's capabilities, and the fourth one for being the game that started the cavalcade of SNES ports that flooded the platform).

I'd also strongly consider adding Super Mario 3D Land and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds onto the 3DS list; being the obvious standout games that made the best use of the S3D feature.

Edited by Dcubed

On 25/02/2018 at 8:10 PM, Dcubed said:

Pretty damn solid list.  I pretty much find no fault with it at all, outside of the GBA list.  All I'd say is that I'd add Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Wario Land 4 and Super Mario Advance to the GBA section (The first for being genre defining titles, where both series were brought to the west for the first time thanks to the GBA, the third for being the apex of a series that defined the entire line of Game Boy platforms and truly represented an "Advanced" take on action platformers thanks to the GBA's capabilities, and the fourth one for being the game that started the cavalcade of SNES ports that flooded the platform).

I did consider Fire Emblem and Wario Land 4, but rejected them. First being that Fire Emblem coming to the west was more relevant to that series than to the GBA itself (also, bringing Japanese properties was not a thing that the GBA was known for). Wario Land 4 is exactly what you say it is, but the GBA library wasn't exactly a cavalcade of revamped GB-related series (the same way the SNES was to the NES), so I don't think it's quite the defining title we're looking for.

Super Mario Advance was an enhanced port, and while there were a few on the GBA, the device was far more well known for the original games it had. I honestly tend to forget LttP exists there, when Minish Cap is a much more noteworthy game (and if there was an original Mario platformer on it, I think it would easily overshadow the Advance series). Still, an honourable mention sounds appropriate.

Advance Wars totally slipped my mind, though, and I think you're right on the money with that one. A game tailor-made for the GBA, a perfect fit for a handheld, felt really fresh, and really showed what the little console could do. That's an apt descriptor of the vast majority of notable games on the GBA, and Advance Wars shows these qualities in spades.

On 25/02/2018 at 8:10 PM, Dcubed said:

I'd also strongly consider adding Super Mario 3D Land and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds onto the 3DS list; being the obvious standout games that made the best use of the S3D feature.

The 3D is a nifty feature, but not many games relied on it the same way Super Mario 3D Land did, right? An honourable mention feels more like it.

(I didn't even know LBW depended on 3D. Every time I hear about that game, it's about what it does for the Zelda series, rather than how it relates to the 3DS)

By comparison, Awakening pushed the 3DS early in its lifespan, made good use of Street- and Spotpass (imo, more relevant features than 3D), was one of its must-have titles, and the way it exploded the series into popularity was legit proof of the surprising clout that machine turned out to have, despite the rocky start. Hell, Awakening was also a surprisingly earned success for a series that initially seemed doomed to fail, right? Honestly, I don't know why I ever mentioned Kid Icarus Uprising :heh:

Fuck it, I'm updating my original post with these musings, and H-o-T's suggestion. And the Switch.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Thanks 1

When I think about console defining I’m not using my lifetime fan point of view because I think that it’s too biased and well informed.

I think it’s more interesting what single game an “outsider” would remember a console or handheld for.

The GBA and GC (and more revently the Wii U and maybe even 3DS) seem to lack that sort of game in that respect. I’m levaing the Virtua Boy out because, well, yeah... ;)

NES: Mario Bros & Duck Hunt: I know it’s two games but they came on one cartridge bundled with the console and everybody knew them.

SNES: Super Mario World: of course there’re a lot more great games for it but this one’s taking the crown.

Game Boy: Tetris, no doubt.

N64: Mario 64: many people’s first 3D gaming experience, groundbreaking.

GBA: I think this one lacks a generation defining game. Of course a lot jewels but more of a device for the fans.

GCN: Same as above.

NDS: Brain Training brought gaming to a demographic that would’ve never seemed reachable. Nintendogs is a close second but Brain Training was more successfull I think.

Wii: Wii Sports and Wii Fit second, no doubt here.

3DS: They missed a chance here to launch with Mario 3D Land. Otherwise it might’ve been more of an evergreen game. I think there’s not really one game that stands out and defines the hardware.

Wii U: Nintendoland could’ve been so much more. Add robust online, add DLC attractions when new games launch and it would’ve been a players choice game and could’ve persuaded a lot more gamers to buy the system.

Switch: I’m keeping an eye out for Labo but at this point I think it’s rhe hardware itself and the diverse library that’s selling the system not so much a single game. Although it helped that it launched with BotW. That game doesn’t make use of all of the unique system features in an innovative way though. Of course due to it being an enhanced Wii u port and cross platform release.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this