NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Shining Resonance Refrain (Switch)

Sega has announced that Shining Resonance: Refrain is coming to the west this year. The HD remaster of the 2014 Japanese-only PlayStation 3 game was announced for the PlayStation 4 in Japan last November, but sources within the company have confirmed to us that the game is also coming to Switch when it sees western release.

• Thanks 2

Oh wow, this should be my kind of thing.  Shining In The Darkness always fascinated me as a young Mega Drive gamer.  @Hero-of-Time, do you know if this one is an RPG or a strategy RPG?

Are these any good? (Or rather, is this one any good?)
Nice to see some Tony Taka designs in action, ao far I've only been familiar with the merchandise.

Anyway, launchday edition includes a metal slipcase, and the game seems to dupport dual audio.

55 minutes ago, Grazza said:

Oh wow, this should be my kind of thing.  Shining In The Darkness always fascinated me as a young Mega Drive gamer.  @Hero-of-Time, do you know if this one is an RPG or a strategy RPG?

SITD is an absolute classic. Love that game.

This one appears to be a normal JRPG, which has been the standard for the series for a while now. The battle system looks a bit like something from Star Ocean or the Tales games.

Sadly, the series has been very average for a long time now. Still, it's a JRPG so I'll be willing to give it a go.

• Thanks 1

Not an official announcement for Switch yet, but I reckon it’ll probably happen.  SEGA seem to be all-in on Switch now :) 

Coincidentally, I spotted a copy of Shining in the Darkness in CEX, looked pretty good condition as well. Should I have bought it?

Being a fan of Tony Taka and his artwork on the series, it's great to finally be able to play one of these games. I'll see what the reviewers say :). 

And on a side note: Shining, Ys, Xenoblade, Nights of Azure, Fate... The Switch is shaping up to be a nice JRPG/anime console, isn't it? 

13 hours ago, ArtMediocre said:

Being a fan of Tony Taka and his artwork on the series, it's great to finally be able to play one of these games. I'll see what the reviewers say :). 

And on a side note: Shining, Ys, Xenoblade, Nights of Azure, Fate... The Switch is shaping up to be a nice JRPG/anime console, isn't it? 

Yes, and assuming it gets Dragon Quest XI, that should trump everything!  Going by Dragon Quest Builders, Square-Enix are really getting the tone right at the moment.  There's another one by NIS I'm interested in called Labyrinth of Refrain.

14 hours ago, ArtMediocre said:

Could still do with some Final Fantasy on the console, though.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Could still do with some Final Fantasy on the console, though.

Absolutely. 

The only downside I potentially see with bringing FF to Switch - at least to Switch owners and FF fans - is that S-E would be unlikely to bring a brand new entry into the core, roman numeral series, simply because they've shown that they want those games to exist on the most technologically advanced consoles on the market (I know this isn't what you were necessarily suggesting, H-o-T). Personally, I'd be just fine seeing VI and the earlier entries coming over with whatever Nintendo is doing in terms of Virtual Console.

I could totally see something like Final Fantasy Tactics get a new series entry come to the Switch. 

On another note, though, perhaps Project Octopath Traveller is in fact a Final Fantasy spin-off game? I'd much rather it be a new IP (because it's visually very unique, and a style I'd love to see further evolved, or perhaps used in some potential remakes of other excellent S-E JRPGs seen on Nintendo consoles in years past...), but a simple name change to something like Final Fantasy: Octopath Traveller or Final Fantasy: The Paths of Eight would naturally garner much more attention than a brand new IP would. 

6 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

Absolutely. 

The only downside I potentially see with bringing FF to Switch - at least to Switch owners and FF fans - is that S-E would be unlikely to bring a brand new entry into the core, roman numeral series, simply because they've shown that they want those games to exist on the most technologically advanced consoles on the market (I know this isn't what you were necessarily suggesting, H-o-T). Personally, I'd be just fine seeing VI and the earlier entries coming over with whatever Nintendo is doing in terms of Virtual Console.

I could totally see something like Final Fantasy Tactics get a new series entry come to the Switch. 

On another note, though, perhaps Project Octopath Traveller is in fact a Final Fantasy spin-off game? I'd much rather it be a new IP (because it's visually very unique, and a style I'd love to see further evolved, or perhaps used in some potential remakes of other excellent S-E JRPGs seen on Nintendo consoles in years past...), but a simple name change to something like Final Fantasy: Octopath Traveller or Final Fantasy: The Paths of Eight would naturally garner much more attention than a brand new IP would. 

I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen a port of World of Final Fantasy for the Switch. It seems like such an obvious fit.::shrug:

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen a port of World of Final Fantasy for the Switch. It seems like such an obvious fit.::shrug:

Honestly forgot that World of Final Fantasy was a thing...

That's an excellent suggestion, @Hero-of-Time. If I recall correctly, it sold extremely poorly (at least by Final Fantasy-designed-for-a-handheld standards), so that would be a very smart move for S-E to make.

You should shoot them an email :p 

5 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

Honestly forgot that World of Final Fantasy was a thing...

That's an excellent suggestion, @Hero-of-Time. If I recall correctly, it sold extremely poorly (at least by Final Fantasy-designed-for-a-handheld standards), so that would be a very smart move for S-E to make.

You should shoot them an email :p 

It was an excellent game. I honestly thought it was better than FFXV. Considering it ran on the Vita, the Switch should be able to easily run it.

Tony Taka is pretty good, but I prefer the early work of his sister Tiki.

47 minutes ago, bob said:

Tony Taka is pretty good, but I prefer the early work of his sister Tiki.

She even has her own amiibo

• Haha 1

Just to remind everyone that a demo for this game is now out - I've downloaded it but haven't had time to give it a go.  Has anyone here tried it yet?

• Thanks 2

On 14/06/2018 at 10:34 PM, Grazza said:

Just to remind everyone that a demo for this game is now out - I've downloaded it but haven't had time to give it a go.  Has anyone here tried it yet?

I did. It's incredibly short. So short I didn't get a proper impression. I handful of battles, lots of dialogue, which I started to skip eventually, as I don't want to read in a demo. Environments look a bit bland, but the Tony Taka designed characters add more appeal than I would have expected. I love my waifus. Battles seem ok (they're real-time), but again, you only get to try a handful. In-game dialogue / cutscenes are pretty wooden. Hopefully choosing Japanese audio will alleviate that, but that doesn't change the animation and flow. All in all it comes across as somewhat low-budget.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I did. It's incredibly short. So short I didn't get a proper impression. I handful of battles, lots of dialogue, which I started to skip eventually, as I don't want to read in a demo. Environments look a bit bland, but the Tony Taka designed characters add more appeal than I would have expected. I love my waifus. Battles seem ok (they're real-time), but again, you only get to try a handful. In-game dialogue / cutscenes are pretty wooden. Hopefully choosing Japanese audio will alleviate that, but that doesn't change the animation and flow. All in all it comes across as somewhat low-budget.

I totally agree.  There was something I quite liked about it, but I wanted to know how the rest of the game played.  Which one are you really meant to play as, and does the A.I. back you up whichever one you choose?  It seems like quite a nice game, but unfortunately it didn't grab me enough to buy it.

I got my copy yesterday and I've put a fair few hours into it. The game is pretty awful and I can't see myself finishing it. I'll probably trade it in when it gets released on Tuesday to get a chunk of my money back.

Im getting sick of waifu designs being put in JRPGs. Just look at the state of what Fire Emblem has become and you get an idea what characters you'll see in here. The extra suits and DLC the game gives you are swimsuits and maid outfits. Really? 

The battle system is okay but I've been able to just spam the attack button and come out on top without giving the game any thought. 

The cutscenes are terrible. If you look at something like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, that game had some amazing scenes with an awesome soundtrack adding to the epicness, this has nothing like that. This has clearly been made on a tiny budget because most scenes play out like a visual novel. When you expect a big fight to happen you see two characters talking, screen goes black, you see a slash and hear a sword swing and then the characters talk again. Simply awful.

The game is generic as they come. Character with memory loss issues, cheerful girl, white haired edgy antagonist, care free party member who is cocky....the list goes on and on. 

I recommend avoiding this game. It's such a shame what the Shining series has become. Camelot done an amazing job with the early games and this is s mockery of all of that. Sad times. :( 

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Sign in to follow this