NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Advice needed - best '3ds family' console for a 6 year old?

An old mate of mine just messaged for some Nintendo advice(remembering me to be the awesome Nintendo cool kid that I once was :cool:) - and he's probably just as confused as I suddenly realised I am about it all!

Then I thought; we're all gamers here. Many of us have been for a long while. Many less of us, tho a notable few of us, are also parents too! Who better to ask advice from than not only my informed gamer friends, but informed gamer parent/uncle/aunt/cousin friends!

So...anyone got any advice on the best shout from the 3ds family for a 6 year old's birthday?

New Nintendo 2DS XL Poké Ball Edition + Pokémon Ultra Sun Pack

£178.99

11562837-1744528373153187.jpg

Because kids still like Pokémon... right? :p

• Like 2

New 2DS XL is what I would recommend as well, Clamshell design helps to prevent screen damage. Nice big screen but still pretty cheap. I have one, it's solid.

• Thanks 2

At 6, they're unlikely to be particularly careful with the hardware and 3D wouldn't be advised for that age so I'd probably go with the much cheaper original 2DS option :smile:

• Thanks 1

Yeah I'm torn between suggesting original 2ds or the 'new' 2ds xl cos of its better clamshell design. Think my mate said it's just he played a bit of Mario and Sonic on iPad or so, seems interested and wants his own thing; so why not. Seems mobile is a good gateway for them in places, tho also excited this kid seems to be starting his gaming journey out with some choice and going for Nintendo! Birthday isn't til the 25th so I'm still taking any more advice, even if it's more of the same!

3 minutes ago, Rummy said:

Yeah I'm torn between suggesting original 2ds or the 'new' 2ds xl cos of its better clamshell design. Think my mate said it's just he played a bit of Mario and Sonic on iPad or so, seems interested and wants his own thing; so why not. Seems mobile is a good gateway for them in places, tho also excited this kid seems to be starting his gaming journey out with some choice and going for Nintendo! Birthday isn't til the 25th so I'm still taking any more advice, even if it's more of the same!

Both are solid choices.

I think it depends how well the child will take care of the console and how much price is a factor. If the kid is just going to throw the thing around then the original 2DS is the best option as the thing is built like a brick. You can also pick one up brand new for around £70 with a game or two. If he wants something more fancy then the newer model is the best choice. The issue is that the top screen/hinge can be quite loose and this may cause problems if the kid isn't careful with it.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Both are solid choices.

I think it depends how well the child will take care of the console and how much price is a factor. If the kid is just going to throw the thing around then the original 2DS is the best option as the thing is built like a brick. You can also pick one up brand new for around £70 with a game or two. If he wants something more fancy then the newer model is the best choice. The issue is that the top screen/hinge can be quite loose and this may cause problems if the kid isn't careful with it.

Weirdly even though I don't think I've ever held one of the things I do get the impression it's got classic Gameboy/GameCube style solid feeling build. He's the oldest of a few so I'll probably deffo avoid 3ds just cos the younger kids will inevitably play etc; given that I'll probs also suggest going with an original 2DS model for now given the sturdiness as you say!

I'd vote for New2DS too.  It's pretty cheap, plays everything without issue and the clamshell design helps prevent damage to the screen.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this