NEurope
Pit-Jr

Mario 128

I was sure there was a thread for this game already but to my dismay there isnt. Considering it wont be coming out too much later than Zelda TTP, i dont think its too early to start up a thread.

So yeah, any ideas or expectations you all might have for this game, post here, so when the game finally shows itself we can see just how wrong we are.

Fake images and rumors welcome! though hopefully well get an official screen sometime in the near future.

A few things i hope to see:

-Mario 2 style character selection gave the game alot of replay value

-a mixture of 3D and 2D gameplay

-the return of the 'boing' sound Mario makes when he jumps in the 2D games. Hearing 'Woo Hoo!' and 'Wah Hah!' after every jump is very irritating. Lose the voice.

-the Mario universe should look like a cartoon, hopefully the Rev is capable of some stunning cel-shading and animation

bowser.jpg (maybe not the best example but you get the idea)

..I think I mentioned this somewhere else but a sort of 3D Super Mario World with Iggy Koopa and all the lads and the little yellow question mark blocks.. maybe with some side-scrolling levels (yet still 3D a la Super Smash Bros.)

I would absolutely love it if the whole game was made up of levels like the platforming bits in SMS, where the object of each level is just to get to the end. There could be different routes and exits, like in SMW, and different level themes (fire, ice, grass, castle etc.). There camera would have to be good, though - manoueverable for most parts, and locked in parts where you can only go backwards, forwards or up, like in the 2D games.

I don't know what id like it to be. As long as it perfectly utilises the controller.

Like spence said. Miyamoto will ahve designed something new, hopefully

A First Person Mario will be great.

Yes, that first person view really helps with jumping, in a platformer... [/sarcasm]

Much like Mike said, I want mario to go back to his roots a bit. Not 2D, but lots of small, more linear levels full of bustable blocks, mushrooms, fire flowers, goombas, bullet bills etc. I got a bit bored of wandering round the same level 8 times trying to find different stars.

Little weird secrets should come back too... like finding a warp zone by walking over the exit (I thought i'd broken something the first time i did that :)), the first time you found a beanstalk, or collecting more than 42 coins on level 1-4 on mario 3 in order to make a secret appear... little bizzare touches like that made the NES mario games so memorable for me.

I would absolutely love it if the whole game was made up of levels like the platforming bits in SMS, where the object of each level is just to get to the end. There could be different routes and exits, like in SMW, and different level themes (fire, ice, grass, castle etc.). There camera would have to be good, though - manoueverable for most parts, and locked in parts where you can only go backwards, forwards or up, like in the 2D games.
I think it's quite likely we'll see something like this;

Those levels would really lend themselves to the Rev's controller to control Mario!

I really want a VERY Traditional Mushroom Kingdom Super Mario World/Mario 64 style game.

All the Classic Badguys, Goombas, Koopas etc...

Blocks to Break, '?' Power Boxes, Stars, Mushrooms, Powerups; Fire Flower, Wing Cap etc...

I have to admit, I don't really see Mario working with the controller. With that sai, I want a game with huge scenarios filled with grass and pipes. Give us goombas, koopas, mushrooms and fireflowers! Long live nostalgia!

A Nintendo controller that doesn't work with a platform game?! Thats quite close to suicide!

Of course a platformer can work with the controller. Assuming Nunchuka stylee, the analogue stick controls Mario as usual. A on the Baton is Jump, B Trigger is "action" and your pointer represents Mario's "interest". For example, Mario can shoot his fireballs by pointing the baton at a goomba he's running past and pressing B or if not in Fireball mode, you could track the ? block with the and jump - if your not tracing the block as you run up to it, you knock Mario out!

Just a few ideas.

another game ala mario 64 would do me fine but with some new interesting twists on things. i doubt we'll see mario 128 and super smash bros. revo on the launch day though. mario 128 2rd quarter of 2007 for europe.

A Nintendo controller that doesn't work with a platform game?! Thats quite close to suicide!

Of course a platformer can work with the controller. Assuming Nunchuka stylee, the analogue stick controls Mario as usual. A on the Baton is Jump, B Trigger is "action" and your pointer represents Mario's "interest". For example, Mario can shoot his fireballs by pointing the baton at a goomba he's running past and pressing B or if not in Fireball mode, you could track the ? block with the and jump - if your not tracing the block as you run up to it, you knock Mario out!

Just a few ideas.

Absolutely brilliant idea! You mainly controll the character with the analogue stick attachment, while the 'remote control' is used to interact with the environment as you suggested... it's a bit like the concept behind Yoshi's Touch n Go, don't you think?

..I think I mentioned this somewhere else but a sort of 3D Super Mario World with Iggy Koopa and all the lads and the little yellow question mark blocks.. maybe with some side-scrolling levels (yet still 3D a la Super Smash Bros.)

That´s how I want it too.

I also agree with Pit-Jr about the classic sound when Mario jumps. I´m not against the voice but the "boing" sound should return.

i dont want a mario - crash bandicoot game for sure!

Just a few ideas.

you could have the baton control the levels super monkey ball style - could add something to the game.

4 buttons, a dpad + analogue stick + 3d space + orientation.

there's alot that can be done with the controller.

I'd preffer a sort of game that's like mixed bag...

Some 2D-levels like the old days, some Mario 64-ish, some with gizmos like in Mario Sunshine, and some racinglevels, like Mariokart, and LOTS of minigames.

I think that the levels should pop up in large quantities, where each never takes more than 10 minutes to beat...

i think alot of people are forgetting that there will be a nomal pad to, which the "remote" slots into.

i think alot of people are forgetting that there will be a nomal pad to, which the "remote" slots into.
Remember though that Nintendo said about a year ago that they didn't want to show Mario 128, because it was very unique and they were worried the ideas it incorporated would be stolen;

Well I think that could have been because it was being developed with the Rev in mind, and therefore they couldn't show the game without given away info about the revolution, or without showing the Revolution; and they didn't want to at such an early stage, because the console could have been copied.

Like Nintendo have said for a long time (whether Mario was actually in development at that time or not), Mario 128 has been a gane they haven't been able to show, due to it's unique ideas!

Nintedno would have created the Revolution with Mario 128 in mind. This is the way Nintendo have always made their consoles with the launch title in mind. Mario 64 N64, Luigi Mansion Gamecube etc.

I think the whole point of Mario 128 is to expand the genre again so it is not really something easy to predict. Like say for example trying to predict what mario 64 would be like in 1994. Nintendo want to revolutionise the genre and with the controller they have it is an exciting prospect.

I hope you controll mario by aiming with the revmote, jumping by, holding A button and "drag" the revmote in the direction you want to jump. That would rock, wouldn't it?

Just a few ideas.

easily the best idea i've heard of! sounds brilliant!

I demand it on launch.. I really wont buy the console until Smash bros and Mario 128 are both available.

I have to admit, I don't really see Mario working with the controller. With that sai, I want a game with huge scenarios filled with grass and pipes. Give us goombas, koopas, mushrooms and fireflowers! Long live nostalgia!

If you would of told me one of the greatest 2D platformers this gen was controlled by bongos, I probablly would of laughed in your face.

You can't be synical, but have an open mind when Nintendo finally reviels what it has been working on.