NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Spyro Reignited Trilogy

Well, the cutscenes I've seen for this and for the N.Sane Trilogy are very "modern kids animated movie" style. The developers Toys for Bob did actually make the movie tie-in games for the Madagascar films, aka Dreamworks movies, so that film and having to work on the movie tie in probably influenced their animation style and decision making, they've made the Spyro trilogy look like an animated movie in a way.

To be honest, I'm going to say that I think the original Spyro game is REALLY badly written. Understandable since it was Insomniac's second game but the opening cutscene I find it hard to really take seriously, the dragons are just giving a TV interview (for some reason) and that triggers Gnasty Gnorg to turn them all into crystals? I didn't question it when I first played the original Spyro (never owned but did play a friend's) but watching it again it really hasn't aged well.

It's clear Insomniac had a certain style that they were aiming for though and they did go on to make a series which pretty much embraced that kind of dialogue from the get-go in Ratchet & Clank.

Picked up my copy on my lunch break. I ended up using my nectar points at Sainsburys and got the game for free. Given the size of the patch/install I doubt I will get to play it tonight. Gaming in 2018 is great. :hmm: 

• Thanks 1

I'm playing it right away, the patch can wait :p

Anyway, finished the secret level and Stone Hills so far and I love it.

Picked up my copy on my lunch break. I ended up using my nectar points at Sainsburys and got the game for free. Given the size of the patch/install I doubt I will get to play it tonight. Gaming in 2018 is great. :hmm: 
It is when your internet connection is also in 2018.

7 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Well, it's not all bad. It turns out I play the first game while the others are downloading. Phew! 

Really? I tried to play the first game before installing the update and the game crashed :/ I had to wait FOUR hours after getting back home from buying this game to even get the chance to play the first game.

Mind you I did have to clear out several videos saved on the PS4's Hard Drive in order to have a lot of room for the game itself. Lesson learned, if you're going to be saving regular videos on the PS4 always delete them after they've been uploaded to Youtube/Twitter....

Speaking of videos, this dragon sound like one of those text to speech programs to me...

9 hours ago, GenericAperson said:

Really? I tried to play the first game before installing the update and the game crashed :/ I had to wait FOUR hours after getting back home from buying this game to even get the chance to play the first game.

Strange. I managed to finish off the best part of the game (76%) in one sitting without the patch.

The game has been an absolute joy to play. It feels and looks perfect. I'm been trying to 100% each level before moving on the next. Running around looking for the gems in these compact and colourful stages has been so much fun. They just don't games like this anymore. :( I can't wait to get back home and start playing it again.  :bouncy: 

Edited by Hero-of-Time

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I can't get back home and start playing it again.  :bouncy: 

That's a shame. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just finished up the first Spyro, nabbing the platinum along the way. It's the first time I've revisited the original since it was released back in 1998 and I'm so happy that it holds up as well as it does because getting to replay it with a fresh coat of paint was an absolute joy.

The moment I stepped into Stone Hill and the Dark Harbour, the memories came flooding back and hearing that music again was like being a kid all over again. It was like getting to relive some of the best bits of my young gaming life replaying through the game. Even when I couldn't quite remember the stages, quickly turning the music to the original brought memories of those levels back, which is great as it's the one game from the original trilogy that I remember the least from so it's great to be reminded of those and just how well formed the game was back then and even now.

Toys for Bob have done an incredible job bringing the game to modern standards. Visually, it's lost none of the Insomniac charm and even with the fleshing out that's been done with the new character models, there's a distinct look of an Insomniac game about it all. I replayed the 2016 Ratchet and Clank a few weeks back and it's amazing to see the similar character designs despite different studios working on the games. It goes to show a respect of the craft for the original games and for Insomniac so kudos to Toys for Bob.

What's remarkable is how easily playable the game is even now and how well it plays by today's standards. Sure, the adjustments that the subsequent games brought would have been nice here but it still works extremely well and can standard should to shoulder with many of the big modern 3d platformers. I'd even go so far as to say I enjoyed it more than say Super Mario Odyssey. Maybe I'm somewhat blinded by rose tinted goggles there but it really was fantastic. Reminded me of the best of generations past and makes me sad that they didn't give Spyro the games and respect he deserved going forward.

It really is a special game, to me anyway, and I can't wait to play Gateway to Glimmer (I know it's called Ripto's Rage but it'll always be Gateway to Glimmer for me) and Year of the Dragon to see out the rest of the trilogy and relive some more prominent childhood memories. I've promised myself I won't just jump on to the next otherwise I'll be finished the lot by this time next week but the draw to play more is so strong.

• Like 1

Yup, it really stands the test of time. It shows how strong Insomniacs level design was when the game is still VERY playable all these years later.

I got back from work about 10 mins ago and have fired the game straight back up. It' so much fun.

I'm taking a bit more time with the game, just got done with the Night Flight level after several attempts, the flying levels have been the hardest part of the game so far.

I did play the original Spyro on Playstation but it wasn't my copy and I only really played the first world. Naturally the entire first set of levels I went through very quickly as I remembered them all from being a child, but the levels in Peace Keepers aside from the hubworld I didn't remember too well. Dry Canyon took a few goes for one particular glide to complete, Cliff Town was the one where I spent ages trying to find all the missing gems to the point of leaving to do Ice Cavern before coming back.

Something I've noticed about this game compared to other 3D platformers is that the main collectable and equivalent to Stars or Jiggies is that getting to the Dragons isn't usually much of a challenge as they are just out there scattered around each area without needing to do some specific task to earn them. At least, that's how I see it. Some are well hidden and require you to complete a certain section of the level but they've never really felt like long stretches (I am only on World 2 that being said) so this is more about exploring everywhere.

The levels feel kind of small to me actually and they go by very quickly even for 100% completing the game, but I have been spoiled by the size of levels in A Hat in Time and Super Mario Odyssey so it's harsh to criticise a game that was originally on the PS1 for it's level size with games made on far more powerful hardware.

Taking a bit more of a break but I only have Doctor Shemp to go now until I've 100% completed Peace Keepers and then it's on to Magic Crafters.

Nabbed the platinum for the first game. What a cracking adventure. Absolutely loved it.

It's gonna be interesting how I feel about the next two. I have zero nostalgia for them as I never played either of them back in the day.

• Thanks 1

Not really feeling Spyro 2. It seems a lot bigger than the original game and I'm not a fan of not being able to 100% some levels on your first visit. Kinda reminds me a little of Banjo Tooie in that it builds upon the first game but loses a certain simplicity when doing so.

I'm still on Spyro 1 lol. Had a manic day where I ended up doing a variety of things but got done with most of Magic Crafters today. Can definitely see the level design getting more complex with the introduction of super moves. I probably should mention that I did actually play a GBA Spyro game by the name of Season of Flame which did have this same mechanic, so I was surprised to learn that such a mechanic was something that was included in the very first game as, I said before, I never played much beyond World 1. A lot of Superchange based puzzles in the third world although since I'm aiming to 100% each level on first visit, the same way I ended up playing the Crash Bandicoot games, I already had enough Dragon Eggs to leave the Magic Crafters world before even starting Alpine Ridge.

Speaking of Alpine Ridge, those gems on the firecrackers on the mountains cost me so many lives trying to figure out exactly how to glide over there... and then do it again after I did it without really knowing how I did it, something that happened again in Wizard's Peak when I had to Supercharge back from the initial pad in order to jump up to a narrow ledge with a wizard and two gems.

Spyro 2 completed and platinum obtained.

Once I got past the areas being a little larger I started to really enjoy it. Certain mini games within the levels reminded me of the Ratchet & Clank series and you certainly see the DNA of those games in this second game.

It's been great fun playing both of these games. Two down and one to go....

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Certain mini games within the levels reminded me of the Ratchet & Clank series and you certainly see the DNA of those games in this second game.

More than just the mini-games to be honest. Moneybags was the start of a trend for Insomniac I think, until this moment right here.

https://youtu.be/bgKiKGdL4TU?t=153

I love the Ratchet and Clank series by the way, some of my favourite games on PS2. Moneybags in Spyro 2 seems to be a parody on capitalism... which ends up playing a much larger role on R&C.

It's funny really because Moneybags IS basically Activision. I'm glad they don't actually charge you real world money for his services... at least I hope they don't, I'll have to check my bank statement when they next come around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spyro 3 is complete, platinum obtained and with that the trilogy is done and dusted.

I think the third game is the weakest of them all. There seems to be a lot of padding to it, with far too many minigame rooms being included in the game. I think they could have got rid of a few of the minigame levels and the game would have been better for it.

Also, I wasn't a fan of having to play as different characters. I guess with it being the third game in a row Insomniac wanted to shake things up a bit but it's supposed to be about Spyro not his Sonic the Hedgehog style friends.

Despite these issues I still loved playing through the games. I do miss this genre of games. A good old, cartoony, platforming adventure. It's why I took a real shine to Yooka-Laylee when many others disliked it.

I think Activision has done a great thing in green lighting these remakes. Both Crash and Spyro games are masterfully done, with care and attention being put into each of the games. Crazy to think that these remakes are only £30 considering the effort put into them. 

Speaking of Crash, I actually think the Spyro games are much better and have aged better than the Crash Bandicoot trilogy. They were certainly less frustrating to play through.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I do miss this genre of games. A good old, cartoony, platforming adventure. It's why I took a real shine to Yooka-Laylee when many others disliked it.

Hey, at least I liked Yooka-Laylee.

A Hat in Time is better though >.>

Still on Colossus in Spyro 2 as I haven't played in a few days, but I wanted to share something which happened in my playthrough of Spyro 1:

Note to Toys for Bob, WHY DID YOU THINK THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?

Nearing the end of the game, just got Metropolis, the last Speedway and Ripto to go until I've beaten Spyro 2.

Moved on to Spyro 3 now. Ripto took a few goes but eventually got an attempt where everything went well enough:

As far as Spyro 3 goes I have done all I can on the first world including the boss. There's one section of a level which I can't access withouit Sgt. Byrd but aside from that I have collected over 20 Dragon Eggs and all the treasure I could find. Now on Midday Gardens

I'm going to leave this here too...

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this