NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Spyro Reignited Trilogy

Man, that sucks. Spyro was the only platforming mascot that I interacted with in my formulative years of gaming, with Enter the Dragonfly being quite popular amongst me and my friends in primary school. 

I guess I’m just going to wait this one out. It’ll likely be at half price (if not less) when Christmas sales come around, so I guess I might pick it up that way? ::shrug:

Honestly don't get why people are so worked about this.So what if the rest has to be downloaded, don't  it all has to be installed anyway, nothing is actually run from disc.:hug:

Anyway, I'm still excited about the game, even if I'm the only one.

50 minutes ago, Tales said:

Honestly don't get why people are so worked about this.So what if the rest has to be downloaded, don't  it all has to be installed anyway, nothing is actually run from disc.:hug:

Do we have confirmation that the games' downloads are initiated by the disc or are there download codes inside the box? If it's the latter I'd be majorly pissed. I could live with the first.

Delayed.

This is either...

A. They got a lot of backlash over the games not being in disc.

or

B. 2 and 3 are still in an unfinished state and are needing more development time.

• Thanks 1

A bit gutted to not be playing it sooner, especially with sorting out my pre-orders for September but given that the game has yet to go gold when Spiderman and Shadow of the Tomb Raider have, I suspect that the extra time is going to be needed for more than sticking the second and third games on the disc. Though if they're putting all the games on the disc then that'd be nice for those paying for a physical copy and having to activate a download to access the other games.

Still looking forward to it. With it now coming in November, it'll be better suited for short bursts in and around the chaos of work and such at that time of year.

6 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

Still looking forward to it. With it now coming in November, it'll be better suited for short bursts in and around the chaos of work and such at that time of year.

November gives it a bit of breathing space, at least in terms of my own purchases. September is pretty stacked what with Dragon Quest, Spider-man and Tomb Raider all arriving that month. Not to mention Yakuza release at the very end of August. 

54 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

November gives it a bit of breathing space, at least in terms of my own purchases. September is pretty stacked what with Dragon Quest, Spider-man and Tomb Raider all arriving that month. Not to mention Yakuza release at the very end of August. 

Oh yeah, definitely. It's given me a bit of breathing space for September as well (I keep forgetting that Dragon Quest is coming out, but that seems to be a common theme as I'm sure the EZA guys have said similar on the podcast from time to time) and I do wonder if that has factored into this delay.

With the hype building for Spiderman and Tomb Raider flooding social media with new trailers and such every single day, it was perhaps going to be struggle in its original window. But moving Spyro go November means that those picking it up for the nostalgia hit will still grab it (that is the main market for it after all) but it also positions the game well for Christmas and for parents/grandparents picking up something for kids to get them away from Fortnite for a bit.

I think a few developers and publishers will regret this year for trying to get out in front of Red Dead Redemption 2. It's left November barren but stacked late August through to October (I mean, at the moment with what I want to play, I've pretty much got a game a week and that's with missing loads of stuff out and not accounting indie games which get a release) and so there'll definitely be some casualties (I have a feeling Tomb Raider will be one of them). November is empty beyond the likes of Wreckfest, Darksiders 3, possibly Tetris Effect and possibly Transference (though those last two are hardly big games and I could see them jumping to next year). I'm probably forgetting some things but I think there's definitely room for games to succeed post RDR2 and that'll be something many publishers will rue.

It works well for me anyway. Spyro over Christmas will be like being a kid again :grin: (as I remember getting at least one or two of them around then and not immediately at release).

3 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

I think a few developers and publishers will regret this year for trying to get out in front of Red Dead Redemption 2. It's left November barren but stacked late August through to October (I mean, at the moment with what I want to play, I've pretty much got a game a week and that's with missing loads of stuff out and not accounting indie games which get a release) and so there'll definitely be some casualties (I have a feeling Tomb Raider will be one of them). November is empty beyond the likes of Wreckfest, Darksiders 3, possibly Tetris Effect and possibly Transference (though those last two are hardly big games and I could see them jumping to next year). I'm probably forgetting some things but I think there's definitely room for games to succeed post RDR2 and that'll be something many publishers will rue.

Yeah, I think this is going to be the bomb of September. Even though they are releasing trailers for it and trying to push the game i'm not seeing any kind of hype towards it. It wouldn't surprise if if Tomb Raider sees big discounts in the run up to Christmas and Black Friday sales and for that reason i'm quite happy to wait for it. Saying that, I still haven't even got around to playing the last one.

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This is either...

A. They got a lot of backlash over the games not being in disc.

Really hope they will change it. Let's see how Activision will handle the situation. 

Activision has finally clarified the situation. According to IGN, the publisher has said that some levels from Spyro 2 and 3 will be on the disc, but that you will need to download the rest in a day one update in order to have the full games. So, for those with a physical copy who aren't connected, they'll have full access to Spyro 1, and access to some, but not all, of the second and third titles.

via Pushsquare

Well, fuck you then. Will be a 10€ used-copy-purchase for me further down the line ::shrug:

• Thanks 1

I really don't understand why they are doing this, first they said it was to ensure that they hit a certain date, which they then delayed in order to then do this which is worse. ::shrug:

At this point they might as well delay it again if it's only a matter of weeks, so that it comes out just before Christmas, they wouldn't miss out on sales and the games would be complete.

Really though, it would probably do better as a compilation released in early 2019 at this point, isn't that when Crash was released? That still sold well.

As it stands though, yep... £10 or less second-hand copy for me as well then... even though I like the developer, what the publisher is doing is just Activision all over, yet again.

Maybe I'll hold out for a Switch port with a later physical release with it all on the cartridge... yeah, I guess that won't be happening either. :rolleyes:

It's a real shame as it looks like they really put the work in with this trilogy as well.

This was one of the games I was looking forward to this year, but this whole attempt to swindle gamers and boost digital sales is laughable. Especially for me who has never actually played Spyro 2 and 3 and only played a small portion of Spyro 1, this trilogy was going to be my way of experiencing the entire thing.

With Fallout 76 and Pokemon Let's Go having their own fair share of problems it seems like November is the month of "games which could be great but are being let down by minor things" month. I'm not quite sure if I will pick Spyro up now, especially given that I want to play Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance before KH3 comes out. But I still really enjoy platformers which is why I wanted to get the Spyro trilogy... decisions decisions.

I completely forgot I had this preordered but I just got a notification from Shopto that the game will not be sent out early ( usually you get these Tuesday releases early on a Saturday ) due to Activision clamping down on them. I wonder if Simply Games have had the same warning?

On 11/7/2018 at 2:28 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

I completely forgot I had this preordered but I just got a notification from Shopto that the game will not be sent out early ( usually you get these Tuesday releases early on a Saturday ) due to Activision clamping down on them. I wonder if Simply Games have had the same warning?

Such an Activision thing to do.

On a related note...

Sounds like the general size of all three remastered Spyro games was too much for one PS4 disc to handle. Still, this being Activision of course they would make the game require a download rather than sell a second disc.

I think I am going to get this after all, in spite of the fact that it involves giving Activision money and justifying their anti-consumer practises, but I love 3D platformers and want to at least play a modern version of some old games I missed out on. I skipped the Crash trilogy due to owning the first two Crash games on Playstation and borrowing the third at another moment but with the original Spyro trilogy I only ever played the original game and never to completion. I've also grown to really like Insomniac's work after the Ratchet and Clank games and the Spiderman game that was out this year.

91 GB - that's a lot of Switch cartridges. So it probably won't come out on Switch then.

There seems to be a lot of different numbers going round for what size the whole package will take up. I saw someone over at GameFAQs saying they managed to get an early copy of the PS4 version of the game and it's around 65GB with the initial patch, though they're not sure if there's another patch to come when Tuesday comes around.

As much of a mess as Activision are making of this, I'm still in for day one. I can't wait to play these games again as I haven't played them since they were released all those years ago. I've never gone back to them and while I'm under no illusion that gameplay wise they'll hold up today, I'm still looking forward to jumping back in and reliving what are some of my fondest childhood gaming memories, at least certainly my strongest memories of playing games on PS1 beyond A Bugs Life and Speed Freaks.

Planning on going through them one by one, grabbing the platinum along the way if I can be bothered, before moving on to the next. Though the pull if playing ice hockey agaibst yetis again may have me moving on quicker.

8 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

As much of a mess as Activision are making of this, I'm still in for day one. I can't wait to play these games again as I haven't played them since they were released all those years ago. I've never gone back to them and while I'm under no illusion that gameplay wise they'll hold up today, I'm still looking forward to jumping back in and reliving what are some of my fondest childhood gaming memories, at least certainly my strongest memories of playing games on PS1 beyond A Bugs Life and Speed Freaks.

I played the original game on the Vita a couple of years back it it still holds up tremendously well. It certainly holds up up better than the original Crash Bandicoot game, IMO.

I'm going to be keeping an eye on Simply Games today to see if they are shipping early. I may just cancel my Shopto order if that is the case. If not, then I may cancel the Shopto order anyway and just buy it instore as I have credit to use in GAME or I could use my nectar points in Sainsburys which need doubling up and spent very soon. 

I can't say I enjoyed the original Spyro. Granted, I had played Mario 64 first and it was never gonna compare to that for 8 year old me. But it always felt quite stiff.

Then again, this was before the Playstation controller had analog sticks. So maybe I never gave it a fighting chance. Oh well, don't have a PS4, so eh.
Am I right in remembering that Elijah Wood is a voice actor in this? That always surprised me. It's like the 90's equivalent of that Doctor Who assistant playing Melia in Xenoblade Chronicles.

4 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Am I right in remembering that Elijah Wood is a voice actor in this? That always surprised me. It's like the 90's equivalent of that Doctor Who assistant playing Melia in Xenoblade Chronicles.

I think he voiced one of the Spyro games on the PS2. I don't recall him being a voice actor in the original trilogy.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, Elijah Wood did the voice for Spyro in "The Legend of Spyro" trilogy which was a reboot of Spyro the Dragon in and of itself... one that never really went down well and were the last time Spyro was in a video game until he was shoved into Skylanders.

I have no idea if Wood is still the voice actor here but I know voice contracts for the later Crash Bandicoot games were carried into the N-Sane Trilogy so they might do something similar with Spyro and just re-record all the old lines with the new voice actors.

With regards to the download, I think I can understand how they were able to fit all three Crash games on one disc but not all three Spyro games. Since Crash is a linear platformer there was likely not as much texture upscaling to do as in Spyro which is a Mario 64 style platformer and thus has much wider and larger levels.

Then again it could just be that Vicarious Visions are better at programming to fit space than Toys for Bob are.

• Thanks 1

So it seems my game was shipped on Friday. It's being shipped from Denmark so I don't know if I will get it by Tuesday or if it will be Wednesday. In any case I thought the release was not next but the week after, so this is a nice surprise. Really looking forward to this.

• Like 1

Let's look at the Pros and Cons of the Spyro reignited trilogy.

Pros:

- Graphical overhaul for all three games

- Opportunity to replay Spyro in it's prime

- These games would launch the company who would go on to make Spiderman on PS4.

Cons:

- Enforcing a large digital download on consumers because fitting all three games on one disc turned out to be impossible.

- Buying this game involves giving Activision money.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GenericAperson said:

Cons:

- Enforcing a large digital download on consumers because fitting all three games on one disc turned out to be impossible.

I wouldn't be too sure about that...

jiV4hyJ_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I'm erring on the side of, "they didn't even try"

EDIT: Also, not related, but I'm not keen on that Box Art. I get what they're going for with the background, but I actually despise Spyro's facial expression.

It's that overused "one eyebrow raised" nonsense that 95% of kid's movies use on promotional material. You know, that one where a character looks like they're thinking about dirty things. Sick to death of that.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't be too sure about that...
jiV4hyJ_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
I'm erring on the side of, "they didn't even try"
EDIT: Also, not related, but I'm not keen on that Box Art. I get what they're going for with the background, but I actually despise Spyro's facial expression.
It's that overused "one eyebrow raised" nonsense that 95% of kid's movies use on promotional material. You know, that one where a character looks like they're thinking about dirty things. Sick to death of that.
LuYTe.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Sign in to follow this