NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Happenstance

Venom (October 2018)

I don't like how this has such a complicated relation to the MCU. I mean, get it over with, and decide whether it's fully part of the MCU or not. I think I read Tom Holland may show up, but if he does, I don't know what to think of that. If they do make it part of the MCU, It could be a win-win. It seems he's a bit of an anti-hero in this one, he could a full antagonist for a Spider-man film, one who had a whole film dedicated to him, and therefore has an actual backstory. He could be the best MCU villain to date.

Anyway, I like the character (I think, I miraculously have actually never seen him in action), I love Tom Hardy and Michelle Williams, I'll go see it anyway. I'd like to see Sony dance around the MCU.

Yeah, it did indeed look quite lame... but I’ll watch it too, haha.

I hope we haven’t seen a full body shot yet because they’re wanting to keep the white spider logo hidden. So much of Venom’s character is tied to his hatred of Spider-Man, I don’t want them to lose that.

• Like 2

I think it looked a lot better after the full trailer. I was rolling my eyes at the trash we saw in the teaser but I'm more interested now.

12 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

The pronunciation of "Symbiote" annoyed me as well.

Reminds me of First Contact where Data ruins the resistance is futile line by the way he pronounces futile. It always annoys me when I watch it. :mad:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Reminds me of First Contact where Data ruins the resistance is futile line by the way he pronounces futile. It always annoys me when I watch it. :mad:

Or like when Spike pronounces patronise the American way in Buffy :angry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Erm, yeah. Well. I hope that was just a bad trailer (because it was a bad trailer!) and not a reflection of the entire movie. Although I have my fears.

Anyways, it's always been a Netflix-movie to me - i.e. one that I'll wait for being available on Netflix before watching.

I really don’t know how I feel about it. I love Venom as a character, but I’m not into what I’m being shown at all (though I think this is almost objectively a better trailer than the first teaser trailer we got?). The CGI for Venom looks...rubbery and glossy to me, but more than I think it probably should?

Completely agree with @Sméagol that they need to make it crystal clear whether or not this takes place in the MCU. The fact that they’ve been so quiet about it makes me think that it isn’t, but they know that announcing that’s the case would lead to it being a financial disaster (which it probably still could be). It’s a shame, really, because Tom Hardy’s great. 

I'm concerned that this will be like the shite that was Civil War*, with the first half plus being talking and explanations, with actual action happening right at the end.

*Or Fantastic Four, or the new Power Rangers etc.

I really don’t know how I feel about it. I love Venom as a character, but I’m not into what I’m being shown at all (though I think this is almost objectively a better trailer than the first teaser trailer we got?). The CGI for Venom looks...rubbery and glossy to me, but more than I think it probably should?
Completely agree with [mention=1951]Sméagol[/mention] that they need to make it crystal clear whether or not this takes place in the MCU. The fact that they’ve been so quiet about it makes me think that it isn’t, but they know that announcing that’s the case would lead to it being a financial disaster (which it probably still could be). It’s a shame, really, because Tom Hardy’s great. 
It's abundantly obvious that it has no affiliation with the MCU, otherwise it would be riding heavily on them coattails as best it could.

The fact that they're being so coy about it makes me think they're hoping to trick people into seeing it, despite not being able to secure any sort of crossover at all.

I can't believe I'm saying this as I think he's one of the great actors around at the moment, but Tom Hardy looks miscast in this from that trailer.

I didn't feel like he was or is believable as a timid Eddie Brock, this inconspicuous undercover journalist. Again, he's a bloody brilliant actor, but he didn't fit in this for me, as much as a lesser known, up and coming actor might have.

But then that's not going to sell tickets...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

I can't believe I'm saying this as I think he's one of the great actors around at the moment, but Tom Hardy looks miscast in this from that trailer.

I didn't feel like he was or is believable as a timid Eddie Brock, this inconspicuous undercover journalist. Again, he's a bloody brilliant actor, but he didn't fit in this for me, as much as a lesser known, up and coming actor might have.

But then that's not going to sell tickets...

Yep, I completely agree with this.

I do quite like Tom Hardy... when he's not appearing in adverts... (though hearing him say "Phone" in one of them I found perhaps unintentionally comical) :p  he seems pretty good.

Definitely played the role well in Bronson, liked him in the TV series Taboo, he seems a good fit in other films and TV programmes as well, but this? Nope.

I suppose you can't really blame him for wanting to make as much money now as he can but it is a shame in other ways... just looking at all the stuff he's been in, I suppose it's the law of averages or something but yeah, he'll sell tickets by being in it for certain regardless of whether or not the film is good,

If you'd told me that there would be a Venom film in the Nineties, I probably would have jumped at the chance to see it as I always quite liked the character when I was younger but now in 2018... I question it just as I do every other superhero/anti-hero/villain film which comes out and I don't bother watching that many of them any more so I suppose this just isn't for me, which is fine... and I'll likely just stick to buying the odd super-hero videogame every now and then, that's enough for me. :smile:

At least within the current market of these kinds of films, Venom is sure to stand out but I wonder if it will be for the right reasons or not. ::shrug:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

... and I'll likely just stick to buying the odd super-hero videogame every now and then, that's enough for me. :smile:

Speaking of which, I wonder if this Venom will somehow play into Spider-Man later this year? We already know that an Iron Spider Infinity War costume is going to be in the game, so will we get this Venom turn up in DLC/mentioned in the game’s exposition?

Assuming that they’re still building their own Sinister Six universe, and that they’ve given Marvel the license to use Spidey on the silver screen, I wonder if this is a good way to do that?

• Thanks 1

Hang on, how should it be pronounced?

2 minutes ago, bob said:
On 4/24/2018 at 9:39 AM, Happenstance said:

Hang on, how should it be pronounced?

Bee not bye

• Like 1

Bee not bye
Oh.

I've always said bye, like the bio in biology. Your way sounds bizarre to me.

That's a much better trailer than the last. It looks a lot more decent now and I may even want to watch it now. 

That ‘Turd in the wind’ line :blank:

Also, why is Tom Hardy doing a Christopher Walken impression??

Tom Hardy is terribly miscast. Whatever accent he's trying to do is just awful. Still, the rest of the film looks alright.

Saw this yesterday, had some good humour in it. 

On 25/04/2018 at 9:50 AM, Happenstance said:

Bee not bye

I think they heard the people on this, as they changed it to Sim-Bee-Oat. Which pleased me greatly as that's how I pronounce it too.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this