NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
RedShell

Dara O Briain's Go 8 Bit

lw7uDeH.jpg

Anyone else watch this? Series 3 starts on Monday the 12th of February (at 10pm on Dave) but the first episode is already available to watch online. I checked it out yesterday and the introduction to the final game "Dara's Buttery Spuds" had me in stitches. :laughing:

The show isn't always that entertaining (it often depends on the contestants and also which games they play) but still worth checking out, especially for anyone that's been gaming since the 80's. :D

There's a best of Series 1 & 2 special tomorrow at 8pm, so for those that have never seen the show before be sure to check that out.

:peace:

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

lw7uDeH.jpg

Anyone else watch this? Series 3 starts on Monday the 12th of February (at 10pm on Dave) but the first episode is already available to watch online. I checked it out yesterday and the introduction to the final game "Dara's Buttery Spuds" had me in stitches. :laughing:

The show isn't always that entertaining (it often depends on the contestants and also which games they play) but still worth checking out, especially for anyone that's been gaming since the 80's. :D

There's a best of Series 1 & 2 special tomorrow at 8pm, so for those that have never seen the show before be sure to check that out.

I watched a couple of episodes but didn't really like it, if I'm honest. The obsession with the rotating chairs was a bit much :grin:

I'll maybe check it out again next time I get a chance, though..

1 hour ago, nekunando said:

I watched a couple of episodes but didn't really like it, if I'm honest. The obsession with the rotating chairs was a bit much :grin:

I'll maybe check it out again next time I get a chance, though..

It can definitely be hit-and-miss, sometimes they try a bit too hard to be funny and it doesn't really work, but as far as video game related TV shows go, overall I think it's pretty good. Dara O Briain is a great host who clearly knows quite a bit about (and actually enjoys) gaming which is also a plus point. :hehe:

lw7uDeH.jpg
The show isn't always that entertaining (it often depends on the contestants and also which games they play) but still worth checking out, especially for anyone that's been gaming since the 80's.
I went to a recording of an episode in the first series (the one with Bob Mortimer). It was pretty cool, but haven't really kept up with watching it.
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the first season & think it’s a great idea. Like others have said, it can be a bit hit or miss, but then it’s still early days and they’re trying to work out what works. I enjoy both Dara & Ellie (& enjoyed her writing when she worked at Eurogamer too). Worth a watch for those that haven’t seen it and thanks RedShell for the heads-up on Season 3!

• Like 1

Watch it as background occasionally but I find it a bit grinding. Not sure if it's Dara(who I love otherwise), the overly forced humour on occasion, the OTT setup sometimes, or not being a fan of the way it's kinda competing, but I'd take Taskmaster over this most days :p

Having said that did catch a cracking episode with Greg Wallace and Jodie Kidd t'other eve, Greg Wallace was more nerdy and amusing that I expected him too be! As was she!

Pretty awful episode last night as the choice of games was just terrible. A point and click game and Football Manager?... Seriously? :indeed: Sure, they got to take the piss out of the fact they were playing incredibly dull games to spectate, but it didn’t change the fact they were playing incredibly dull games to spectate. :heh:

The people running this show should really restrict the guest game choices to stuff that’ll make for more entertaining gameplay/viewing.

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

Pretty awful episode last night as the choice of games was just terrible. A point and click game and Football Manager?... Seriously? :indeed: Sure, they got to take the piss out of the fact they were playing incredibly dull games to spectate, but it didn’t change the fact they were playing incredibly dull games to spectate. :heh:

The people running this show should really restrict the guest game choices to stuff that’ll make for more entertaining gameplay/viewing.

Haha.. you're definitely not selling it to me here :grin:Football Manager bores me to play never mind watch!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nekunando said:

Football Manager bores me to play never mind watch!

I've never even "played" it. :D

Just now, RedShell said:

I've never even "played" it. :D

I haven't played Football Manager but I remember trying to start up a 4 player game of Championship Manager with my brother and friends back in the late 90s. By the time we had all picked our teams, bid for a few players and lost a couple of friendlies I was already bored beyond belief :blank:

Just now, nekunando said:

I haven't played Football Manager but I remember trying to start up a 4 player game of Championship Manager with my brother and friends back in the late 90s. By the time we had all picked our teams, bid for a few players and lost a couple of friendlies I was already bored beyond belief :blank:

Yeah, fair play to anyone that enjoys that stuff. But to me it looks like the video game equivalent of watching paint dry. :laughing:

Mind you, I remember enjoying Nintendo Pocket Football Club which is basically Chibi-Football Manager. :heh: But I guess the much simpler nature of that game, combined with the cute presentation made all the difference. ::shrug:

I used to love Championship Manager. Me and my mates used to play the hell out of it on his dad's old PC. It was a big reason why I bought an original Xbox back in the day. Finally being able to play it on the big screen was a dream come true. Sadly, the series  when down the toilet when it changed to Football Manager. The thing became far too bloated and complex to the point where it was far too much effort to play.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I used to love Championship Manager. Me and my mates used to play the hell out of it on his dad's old PC. It was a big reason why I bought an original Xbox back in the day. Finally being able to play it on the big screen was a dream come true. Sadly, the series  when down the toilet when it changed to Football Manager. The thing became far too bloated and complex to the point where it was far too much effort to play.

Yeh.. my brother still plays the XBOX version of one of the old Championship Manager titles as he disliked how complicated subsequent versions became too!

1 minute ago, nekunando said:

Yeh.. my brother still plays the XBOX version of one of the old Championship Manager titles as he disliked how complicated subsequent versions became too!

He's clearly a man of good taste when it comes to games. You must be adopted. :p 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

He's clearly a man of good taste when it comes to games. You must be adopted. :p 

Haha.. if you saw the stuff he buys you would ABSOLUTELY change your mind on that one :heh:

PLUS he's even worse than me about harkening back to the good old days!

Edited by nekunando
  • Haha 1

Sign in to follow this