NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
RedShell

Mario Kart Tour (mobile)

Somehow that confirms my hunch that the game isn't doing too well anymore. Recently, I've found that getting a good position in the leagues has become easier so I suspect that people are putting the game down now, and I don't think multiplayer will make them come back.

Adding being able to play in portrait may make me play this again. Though I still don’t like the controls if they never changed since it launched 

14 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Adding being able to play in portrait may make me play this again. Though I still don’t like the controls if they never changed since it launched 

They added a dedicated steering button that gives a bit more control at the expense of not being able to hop/power slide, other than that nothing else has changed as far as I know.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

I'm going to play this in "fuck off with MTX mode" :)

I already do that, every Thursday at 8pm. It's got an amazing mode where you can actually play with real people.

Modern technology sure is something, huh?

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Modern technology sure is something, huh?

Maybe. I wouldn't know.

Usually I send my carrier pigeon to the admins. They then just post the note attached to the bird on here. Every hour I get a letter back and then I get to decide whom (who? I hate this) I'll answer.

• Haha 1

My friend is trying to convince me to download this but I'm trying to convince him to get MK8 instead...

What's this like for eating into battery life out of interest? Not tried a Nintendo app in a while but I know they historically have been drainers. 

22 minutes ago, Ashley said:

What's this like for eating into battery life out of interest? Not tried a Nintendo app in a while but I know they historically have been drainers. 

Very bad in general, and absolutely shocking when playing online:

On 23/01/2020 at 2:53 PM, RedShell said:

2nd online beta test is currently running, this time those without the gold pass can also take part.

If you want to see just how quickly a mobile phone can lose its charge, give it a go! :laughing:

A new tour arrived today along with this awesomeness: :o 

Words cannot describe just how much I’m loving that. Disgustingly groovy!! :bouncy::yay: It almost sounds like something Soyo Oka would’ve come up with. :grin:

I know everyone likes to poo-poo Mario Kart Tour for various reasons, but since the horizontal mode update it’s actually become pretty great. :) 

Not only does it play sooooo much better now, the battery consumption has improved, online multiplayer is solid and they keep adding to it all the time.

Seriously, the amount of characters and karts available now is insane and there are also updated retro tracks from previous MK games which haven’t yet appeared in any of the mainline console versions.

The tour which just ended was based on Super Mario Kart and added playable Mario and DK Jr. in their original 16-bit sprite style! :cool: It looks absolutely hilarious. :laughing: You also get to hear the SMK jingles at the start and end of each race. :love:

The only downside to MK Tour continues to be its gacha mechanic for obtaining drivers and parts. I was lucky enough to get SMK Mario without buying any rubies, but not DK Jr. And now the opportunity to even obtain those characters has gone. :hmm:

But yeah, that stuff aside, MK Tour is actually a really fun game. If they removed/reworked the gacha system and brought it to Switch as MK 9 I think it’d do really well. At the very least I hope Nintendo has plans to utilise a lot of the content from Tour in the next console MK, as there’s some truly fantastic stuff in there. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RedShell said:

The only downside to MK Tour continues to be its gacha mechanic for obtaining drivers and parts.

I really want to get back into it but this puts me off. I just wanna unlock as I play like the main games. 

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

Seriously, the amount of characters and karts available now is insane

That's one of the things that put me off the title. I think it played pretty alright before adding horizontal mode (haven't tried that out) but if you wanted a chance of getting 3 stars, you would have to put in an insane amount of time and money to have the chance to get all of the characters and equipment. Also, being able to actually get the three stars even with the right setup would sometimes be up to sheer luck.

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

A new tour arrived today along with this awesomeness: :o 

Words cannot describe just how much I’m loving that. Disgustingly groovy!! :bouncy::yay: It almost sounds like something Soyo Oka would’ve come up with. :grin:

I know everyone likes to poo-poo Mario Kart Tour for various reasons, but since the horizontal mode update it’s actually become pretty great. :) 

Not only does it play sooooo much better now, the battery consumption has improved, online multiplayer is solid and they keep adding to it all the time.

Seriously, the amount of characters and karts available now is insane and there are also updated retro tracks from previous MK games which haven’t yet appeared in any of the mainline console versions.

The tour which just ended was based on Super Mario Kart and added playable Mario and DK Jr. in their original 16-bit sprite style! :cool: It looks absolutely hilarious. :laughing: You also get to hear the SMK jingles at the start and end of each race. :love:

The only downside to MK Tour continues to be its gacha mechanic for obtaining drivers and parts. I was lucky enough to get SMK Mario without buying any rubies, but not DK Jr. And now the opportunity to even obtain those characters has gone. :hmm:

But yeah, that stuff aside, MK Tour is actually a really fun game. If they removed/reworked the gacha system and brought it to Switch as MK 9 I think it’d do really well. At the very least I hope Nintendo has plans to utilise a lot of the content from Tour in the next console MK, as there’s some truly fantastic stuff in there. 

Nice to hear positive comments about MK Tour.

I'll admit I played for ten minutes then never again :blush:

2 hours ago, MindFreak said:

That's one of the things that put me off the title. I think it played pretty alright before adding horizontal mode (haven't tried that out) but if you wanted a chance of getting 3 stars, you would have to put in an insane amount of time and money to have the chance to get all of the characters and equipment. Also, being able to actually get the three stars even with the right setup would sometimes be up to sheer luck.

Yeah, sometimes even with the perfect character/kart combo it’s not easy to get all the stars on certain tracks. There is a huge element of luck in this version of MK due to the frenzy system, more so than any other game in the series.

But I don’t play this to complete everything or try to get all the unlocks though (which is obviously impossible without spending money) for me it’s just an extra bit of MK on my phone every so often, and the sights and sounds alone are enough for me to enjoy it really. :) 

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Nice to hear positive comments about MK Tour.

I'll admit I played for ten minutes then never again :blush:

Give it another try! Especially if your only experience of it is pre-horizontal mode, as that has made a big difference to how the game looks and plays.

• Like 1

Just had a quick go. Liking it now in landscape. That’s gonna be a big plus for me. Steering still seems a bit iffy, I’m using tilt if that makes a difference, and the drift button is just a bit far from the side for my liking (that maybe as I’m playing on a large iPad though) Need to look through settings and get a preferred setup. Did find a gold rush thing to get loads of gold coins for 5 rubies so had a go and got 700+ coins so that helped. Need more rubies though. 
Definitely going to give the game another go now. 

• Like 1

I reinstalled it as well last weekend and have been playing it quite a bit this week. Landscape is indeed a good addition, although it is weird to have to rotate your phone between menus and races. 

I'm impressed by the amount of courses, parts and characters in this! There's so much to collect which is pretty cool. Too bad a lot of it is locked behind the pipes though. The gacha is still pretty bad and seeing that you really need a lot of different characters and parts to get the highest starting setup (pretty much required to get your stars) means you will have to invest if you want to 5-star everything. The prices are insane, €22-€43 for a kart, an upgrade item and a bunch of rubies? That's just disgusting.

But as a mobile phone time waster it is fun yeah. But I do hope they bring a lot of stuff from this over to the next console Mario Kart and give that as much support as they're giving this. The costumed racers are cool, and the amount of karts and parts is astonishing. Bring over these tracks based on real-life cities, and they can even throw in MK Tour's point-based mode next to the normal MK mode. Finally, keep it fresh with online tournaments like they do now (with changing grand prix with a different combination of tracks every time) and with the special races (hit enemies, drive through rings etc) and you would have one hell of a Mario Kart 9.

• Like 1

Hell of an unlucky yet hilarious moment on this earlier on. Got a Super Horn Frenzy and must have set off over 30 Super Horns during that time, then at the exact moment the frenzy ran out I was hit by a Spiny Shell! :laughing: Shame this doesn’t save replays.

Another great music track has been added with the latest tour BTW:

The real world courses are actually pretty bland, but at least they usually have good music. Well, apart from London, I wasn’t really a fan of that one. :blank:

Ok, Vampire Waluigi is the greatest thing since London bus driver Waluigi. :laughing:

This almost makes up for him being snubbed by Smash Bros.
Tell you what though, if he ever makes it into a future version of Smash then they are absolutely set for alt costumes. :heh:

• Like 2
  • Weird 1

He looks even more like a Dick Dastardly knock-off now! Bit on the nose there Nintendo, no?

• Haha 1

Sky Tour arrives tomorrow!: :bouncy:

Always great when Super Circuit courses arrive in Tour, if only to be able to enjoy their music without the GBA fuzz. :laughing:

I wonder if they're going to be wrapping up new content in MK Tour now that the MK8 Booster Course pass has been announced? :hmm:

Battle Mode is coming to Tour next week:

Guess this game is still doing pretty well for Nintendo then?

Sign in to follow this