NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
RedShell

Mario Kart Tour (mobile)

I hope they add Pauline to MK8DX at some point. Her singing would be a hilarious mess in an all Pauline N-E League GP. :D 

I can’t fecking login... it keeps not recognising the Google Authenticator codes when trying to link my account.

...and for some reason I don’t have any backup codes anywhere.

Just now, Kav said:

I can’t fecking login... it keeps not recognising the Google Authenticator codes when trying to link my account.

...and for some reason I don’t have any backup codes anywhere.

I had issues with authenticating my Nintendo account recently too, you can sort it out completely by logging into your My Nintendo profile and disabling two step verification and then re-enabling it. It will give you a new QR code to scan with Google Authenticator as well as a new list of back up codes.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, killthenet said:

I had issues with authenticating my Nintendo account recently too, you can sort it out completely by logging into your My Nintendo profile and disabling two step verification and then re-enabling it. It will give you a new QR code to scan with Google Authenticator as well as a new list of back up codes.

This sorted it, thank you!

2 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Apparently a monthly subscription fee is needed to unlock 200cc and extra gold items and badges:

https://mariokarttour.com/en-US/goldpass

That is... Fairly aggressive! Could understand if they made it a one-time purchase, but a monthly fee on top of the already included micro transactions?

Nothing is sacred anymore. :nono:

To those just starting this, make sure you check out the settings at some point. There’s some bizarre stuff enabled by default, including an option which automatically uses any items you currently have when driving over an item box. That’s right, it’s possible to pick up a Super Horn... use it pointlessly just by driving into an item box... and then get hit by a Blue Shell, if you leave that option enabled. :heh: 

• Thanks 2

Oh shit...

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/character/mario/collection/search.html#?g=series&v=mariokart

Mario Kart Tour is considered a mainline game and the direct sequel to MK8dx (note how the arcade titles are completely absent).

Yes, this is indeed Mario Kart 9.

This probably explains why NIntendo EPD have put out such few original titles on Switch over the past two years... They've probably pumped the majority of their EPD staff into mobile development and have likely been prioritising mobile game development over Switch :( 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Sad 1

I imagine it's also to give a bit of weight to Tour as well; if it's considered the next game in the series then people will take it more seriously than just a throw away mobile game.

I'd love to know either way, apparently my error code means I need to uninstall and reinstall the app (done that) restart my phone (done that) and if neither of those work (they haven't) the I've got to wait for a version update...great...

Well, I certainly don't count it as mainline, it's completely missable unless it's on a console one day as far as I'm concerned. ::shrug:

If it doesn't have a traditional controller option and if it isn't presented in landscape mode then it just isn't really Mario Kart is it?

It's an approximation of Mario Kart shoe-horned into the confines of what can be done with a platform which isn't really best suited to gaming beyond time-killing, cash grabs.

This is why I don't like mobile games, it's nearly always a compromise no matter who's involved in making the games and there is no game which would make me buy one... ever.

49 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Mario Kart Tour is considered a mainline game and the direct sequel to MK8dx (note how the arcade titles are completely absent).

So, if multiplayer comes available I guess we need to move to this for Mario Kart League! Someone tell @Glen-i. :grin:

• Haha 2

Unless Nintendo are planning on launching a more fully-featured version on the Switch at a later date, I really don't see how this can be Mario Kart 9.

Anyway, if Mario Kart Tour is enjoyable enough for anyone playing it on mobile then that's great, I don't agree with the way it's being monetised though but it was always going to happen with a game on this kind of platform.

I'm always happy to play Mario Kart on a console, if we get more games on the Switch then that's brilliant but if Nintendo decide to only make Mario Kart for mobiles from now on... well, what is there left to say except that it's a sad day indeed.

I don't think they'll do that though, the Switch is too popular to not have another Mario Kart game on it or at least the next iteration of Switch if not, or even dlc for Mario Kart 8 DX.. I wouldn't rule out anything at this point.

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

So, if multiplayer comes available I guess we need to move to this for Mario Kart League! Someone tell @Glen-i. :grin:

I think he'd sooner move back to MK8 on Wii U before resorting to that :p 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Interesting. Surely that means this game (or more likely a modified version of it) will come to Switch at some point then. :hmm: 

Having spent some more time with it today, I have to say there are some interesting aspects to Tour. The combo system is actually very cool, and building up a massive chain of drift boosts, jump tricks, item hits etc. (each accompanied by a higher pitch of orchestral hit) is really satisfying and something I’d like to see in a console Mario Kart with decent controls.

Levelling up vehicle parts and drivers adds a nice form of progression to the game too and although nothing out of the ordinary, it’s still somewhat more compelling than just the online rating thing that the recent games have. Add missions and challenges into the mix as well and it makes playing this game feel a bit more rewarding than previous games in the series as you’re pretty much always working towards some type of achievement/goal.

At the very least I hope Nintendo will consider updating MK8DX with some of the content from Tour, although I’m still waiting for that Labo VR update too and so far that hasn’t gone very well. :heh: 

• Thanks 1

I'm guessing a Switch version of this will be coming in the not too distant future.

As a mobile title, it's not bad.  Still getting used to the controls, but i'm liking it so far.  Saw the monthly fee to access a few items, not a chance unless it's included in the Switch online sub costs.

13 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I think he'd sooner move back to MK8 on Wii U before resorting to that :p 

You're damn right!

It's exploitative, pay-to-win mechanics and I will not have that muddying up my league.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Played it last night for about 20 minutes. I find the controls a bit wonky, trying to just adjust the kart a little often resulted in a small drift and then trying to correct that would again make me drift - just the other way. It's also not possible to fire items during a drift which is a shame. I also found that I couldn't control how sharp my turn would be but I guess that's just down to experience and adjustments.

Other than that, I actually think the game seems fun. It seems totally possible to play the game and enjoy it without paying.

6 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

It's also not possible to fire items during a drift which is a shame.

I thought this at first too, but it actually is possible. You just need to tap (or swipe) the screen with another finger while holding the drift.

So much for that one handed play concept. :hehe: 

• Like 1

I couldn't get used to auto drifting so I turned that off and it controls a bit easier. Gyro doesn't work for me at all. 

Haven't lost a single match though! Am I playing against bots or real people? As multiplayer is not active yet but I see user names as my competition.

Ah well, it's a fun time waster as you can quickly jump in a match. But it's not the Mario Kart I know and love.

4 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

I couldn't get used to auto drifting so I turned that off and it controls a bit easier. Gyro doesn't work for me at all. 

Haven't lost a single match though! Am I playing against bots or real people? As multiplayer is not active yet but I see user names as my competition.

Ah well, it's a fun time waster as you can quickly jump in a match. But it's not the Mario Kart I know and love.

I’ve noticed this too. The few games I’ve played I’ve thrashed everyone. 

I might have to turn that auto drift off too, I just don’t like going into a drift when I just want a slight turn. 

Apparently, you are racing other people's ghost data. This also makes it possible to race while offline.

I think I managed a few 1st places and a third place at some point. But I see that the requirement for getting 5 stars increase little by little.

Multiplayer beta is on the way....but only if you splash the cash.

You'll need Mario Kart Tour's £4.99 monthly subscription to be the first to try its upcoming multiplayer mode.
Nintendo will launch the mobile racer's real-time multiplayer offering in December, it has announced, but this beta test will only be for those subscribed to its Gold Pass.
On the one hand, it makes sense Nintendo would test the game's multiplayer mode with a smaller section of the Mario Kart Tour audience. On the other, well, it's a feature many assumed would be in the game at launch - for everyone.

I wonder how many beta-players they'll get then... but as long as multiplayer isn't locked behind a paywall, I can wait.

23 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I wonder how many beta-players they'll get then... but as long as multiplayer isn't locked behind a paywall, I can wait.

That would be hilarious. I now kinda want it to happen just to see the meltdowns. :D 

2nd online beta test is currently running, this time those without the gold pass can also take part.

If you want to see just how quickly a mobile phone can lose its charge, give it a go! :laughing:

Sign in to follow this