NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
RedShell

Mario Kart Tour (mobile)

This game is already giving the auto-acceleration feature in MK8DX a bad name...

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

This game is already giving the auto-acceleration feature in MK8DX a bad name...

What I am liking the look of with this (and still hoping it’ll feature in the next main MK game) is the MK Arcade style popup, showing who you hit/whoever hit you. Sure this already happens in battle mode, but just as boring text. Having the character picture show up and also during actual races is so much better.

Plus, I’m sure there are some occasions in the N-E League when you’re not exactly certain who threw a Red Shell backwards at you :heh: and this type of notification could solve that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, RedShell said:

Plus, I’m sure there are some occasions in the N-E League when you’re not exactly certain who threw a Red Shell backwards at you :heh: and this type of notification could solve that.

That wouldn't help most of the time with Theme nights making people choose the same character.

Anyway, whenever a Red Shell gets thrown backwards by someone who isn't first, I know exactly who it is anyway.

• Haha 1

Here's an article that explains how the game works. It seems to be a typical mobile game.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/05/mario-kart-tour-beta-hands-on-microtransactions-land-like-a-nasty-blue-shell/

MKT has timers. Your ability to play the game is gated behind a "hearts" currency. Every start of a race costs one heart, and your default meter maxes out at five hearts. It takes roughly 12 minutes for a single heart to refill, while the game's opening portion constantly refills hearts as part of the early leveling-up process. It's unclear at what point this ample heart supply runs out and players are stuck either waiting on timers or spending an "emerald" currency for more hearts, which can either be earned in-game or (eventually) paid for with real-world money.

Additionally, the game's progression system to access new racetracks, through a single-player campaign, is hard-gated by its own set of timers. As I type this, I'm waiting a full hour before I can unlock the game's "Toadette Cup" of three racecourses, even though I've otherwise met its requirement of other progress. There's no way to pay in-game currency or real-world money to speed that unlock up.

MKT also has loot boxes. The game's aforementioned emeralds are required to access the game's loot. Spend five emeralds (no idea how much that will cost in real-world money) to get a single, random unlock of a mascot character, a go-kart model, or a "glider" accessory. Unlike past games, differing characters and karts don't appear to come with standard control trade-offs like strength, acceleration, top speed, and so on.

Crazy that there is no multiplayer. Of course that could change for the full release. 

Welp, there's lootboxes. Time to post obligatory Snow White GIF.

XfJq5V2.gif

I'd advise you all to copy her fine example.

• Like 4

It is weird that this game is vertical, you are missing so much context by not having the game in landscape.

Looks dashing though! Cool to see there are new tracks like the one in Paris. And there are some things I wouldn't mind having in the main game, like costumes and character-exclusive items.

Too bad this is a mobile game and not MK9.

Those courses look so boring, super wide tracks with barely any challenging turns.

content-4-35951-mariokarttourreleasedatebanner.jpg

Up on the front page. ::shrug:

Aside from seeing what bits of this they choose to put into the next Mario Kart game or even MK8DX I don't have any interest in this.

But I understand its purpose, to drive up brand recognition, tempt people into buying a Switch or the latest game and to make money for the shareholders. :indeed:

The same as all the Nintendo mobile titles thus far and I can't really blame Nintendo for doing it either.

Sorry Nintendo but the target audience you're looking for is in another castle. :p

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only good thing about it is Diddy Kong's triumphant return to kart racing. Include him in the next proper Mario Kart please Nintendo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

It is weird that this game is vertical, you are missing so much context by not having the game in landscape.

Most mobile games are designed to be played with one hand.

13 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Most mobile games are designed to be played with one hand.

I know, doesn't make it less weird. :p

• Like 1

Yeah, still pretty disappointed with how this is turning out. If they'd have just gone with a horizontal view and tilt steering controls I feel it would've been a much better fit for Mario Kart.

Anyway, will still check this out when it finally launches (seriously, why soooo much pre-release faff for this? ::shrug:)  hopefully it's more enjoyable than it appears in those videos. :hmm:

Well it looks like the game is out! It’s appeared on my main screen, although I can’t get past the title screen as it is undergoing”maintenance” until 8am.  I guess I’ll be playing it then!

9 hours ago, WackerJr said:

Well it looks like the game is out! It’s appeared on my main screen, although I can’t get past the title screen as it is undergoing”maintenance” until 8am.  I guess I’ll be playing it then!

Yeah. I saw them saying that you could download (preorder) the game and it may appear on your device but won’t be playable until today. I have mine appeared today too. Gonna give it a go. 

Well, it looks like Mario Kart. It sounds like Mario Kart too. But it sure as hell don’t play like Mario Kart! :heh: 

Controls are pretty horrendous actually. Why the hell didn’t they just go with the standard landscape setup, would’ve improved this immensely. ::shrug:

Sonic Racing on Apple Arcade is set to portrait mode by default, but you can switch to landscape in the settings and it makes it sooo much better. That game is way more playable than Mario Kart Tour!

I’ll stick with this, hopefully I can get used to the way it plays over time, but yeah, it’s just disappointing knowing that a very simple change could improve it so much. :hmm: 

33 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Well, it looks like Mario Kart. It sounds like Mario Kart too. But it sure as hell don’t play like Mario Kart! :heh: 

Controls are pretty horrendous actually. Why the hell didn’t they just go with the standard landscape setup, would’ve improved this immensely. ::shrug:

Sonic Racing on Apple Arcade is set to portrait mode by default, but you can switch to landscape in the settings and it makes it sooo much better. That game is way more playable than Mario Kart Tour!

I’ll stick with this, hopefully I can get used to the way it plays over time, but yeah, it’s just disappointing knowing that a very simple change could improve it so much. :hmm: 

At least you've got to play it, can't get it loaded up at all yet!

13 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

At least you've got to play it, can't get it loaded up at all yet!

Yeah, it took me a few tries to even get past the title screen. The servers are clearly getting bombarded.

Anyway, just did a couple more races and it appears I’ve hit the daily limit for earning coins/exp. :heh: 

I imagine if you purchase the “Gold Pass” it removes the limitation, but yeah... that ain’t gonna happen. :laughing: Seriously, good luck with that, Nintendo. A £4.99 monthly subscription to play a bit more of one game, when Apple have an entire catalog of games  already available at the same price! Absolutely crazy! :o 

On a positive note, it’s cool getting to race on retro courses in this, and the MKDS style missions are a nice touch too. 

8 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Apparently a monthly subscription fee is needed to unlock 200cc and extra gold items and badges:

https://mariokarttour.com/en-US/goldpass

That is... Fairly aggressive! Could understand if they made it a one-time purchase, but a monthly fee on top of the already included micro transactions?

Holy Jesus! That's insane! That'd cost you £60 for a single year, with microtransaction hell on top of that! For a single player only mobile Mario Kart!?

Nintendo are utterly bonkers! This game is gonna crash and burn!

Edited by Dcubed

5 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

That is... Fairly aggressive! Could understand if they made it a one-time purchase, but a monthly fee on top of the already included micro transactions?

Yeah, it’s insane.

Going to be very interesting to see  how that works out for Nintendo. I imagine not very well at all, but you never know when it comes to the mobile games market, there’s blatantly (not to mention worryingly) some people out there who will subscribe to it. :shakehead

I've been doing "Google Opinions" which is answering questions on where you've been shop wise etc, which gets me some pennies every time I fill one out; I've saved up about £7 so far, so once I actually get to play this I may be tempted to try the pass for a month, see if it's worth it or not!

Sign in to follow this