Sign in to follow this  
RedShell

Mario Kart Tour (mobile) March 2019

This game is already giving the auto-acceleration feature in MK8DX a bad name...

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

This game is already giving the auto-acceleration feature in MK8DX a bad name...

What I am liking the look of with this (and still hoping it’ll feature in the next main MK game) is the MK Arcade style popup, showing who you hit/whoever hit you. Sure this already happens in battle mode, but just as boring text. Having the character picture show up and also during actual races is so much better.

Plus, I’m sure there are some occasions in the N-E League when you’re not exactly certain who threw a Red Shell backwards at you :heh: and this type of notification could solve that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, RedShell said:

Plus, I’m sure there are some occasions in the N-E League when you’re not exactly certain who threw a Red Shell backwards at you :heh: and this type of notification could solve that.

That wouldn't help most of the time with Theme nights making people choose the same character.

Anyway, whenever a Red Shell gets thrown backwards by someone who isn't first, I know exactly who it is anyway.

• Haha 1

Here's an article that explains how the game works. It seems to be a typical mobile game.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/05/mario-kart-tour-beta-hands-on-microtransactions-land-like-a-nasty-blue-shell/

MKT has timers. Your ability to play the game is gated behind a "hearts" currency. Every start of a race costs one heart, and your default meter maxes out at five hearts. It takes roughly 12 minutes for a single heart to refill, while the game's opening portion constantly refills hearts as part of the early leveling-up process. It's unclear at what point this ample heart supply runs out and players are stuck either waiting on timers or spending an "emerald" currency for more hearts, which can either be earned in-game or (eventually) paid for with real-world money.

Additionally, the game's progression system to access new racetracks, through a single-player campaign, is hard-gated by its own set of timers. As I type this, I'm waiting a full hour before I can unlock the game's "Toadette Cup" of three racecourses, even though I've otherwise met its requirement of other progress. There's no way to pay in-game currency or real-world money to speed that unlock up.

MKT also has loot boxes. The game's aforementioned emeralds are required to access the game's loot. Spend five emeralds (no idea how much that will cost in real-world money) to get a single, random unlock of a mascot character, a go-kart model, or a "glider" accessory. Unlike past games, differing characters and karts don't appear to come with standard control trade-offs like strength, acceleration, top speed, and so on.

Crazy that there is no multiplayer. Of course that could change for the full release. 

Welp, there's lootboxes. Time to post obligatory Snow White GIF.

XfJq5V2.gif

I'd advise you all to copy her fine example.

• Like 4