NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
RedShell

Mario Kart Tour (mobile)

That’s awesome, and this game will probably do great.

It does make me wonder if that means that Mario Kart 9 is already in the works (I suppose a 2019/2020 release for the next Mario Kart wouldn’t actually be too crazy).

Pokémon GO launched a few months ahead of Sun and Moon; Super Mario Run launched a month ahead of the Super Mario Odyssey announcement; Fire Emblem Heroes launched not long after the announcement of Fire Emblem Echoes, Warriors and Switch; we’re (kind of) expecting the announcement of an Animal Crossing game for the Switch by the end of the year to capitalise on Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp’s release, etc. 

Given that the Switch is a hybrid console and that most of Nintendo’s focus is now on their flagship piece of hardware, I think Nintendo have been doing an excellent job of using the mobile game market to both increase revenue and to tie into brand awareness ahead of reveals/releases/etc. 

They called it an application, so it's not a game or have they usually been calling them applications?

Not terribly surprising.  MK is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, so a mobile adaptation was inevitable really.

I wouldn't expect it to resemble a proper MK game, but I do expect it to build on the idea of Smart Steering that was introduced in MK8dx,

Edited by Dcubed

They talked about this recently on Radio Free Nintendo. The guys were wondering how Nintendo are going to go about monetizing the game. Given how little money Super Mario Run brought in you have to assume they will go with the FTP model and make money back some other way.

The guys also speculated that Nintendo may not be in a rush to release this due to how well Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is selling. 

And here I am waiting with 14€ saved for the Google Play Store.

But this was to be expected, there was just too long of a radio silence.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The guys were wondering how Nintendo are going to go about monetizing the game. Given how little money Super Mario Run brought in you have to assume they will go with the FTP model and make money back some other way.

This is the most likely option I reckon, as they will definitely want to avoid what happened with Super Mario Run.

I still find it unbelievable that Fire Emblem has been way more successful for Nintendo on mobile than both Super Mario and Animal Crossing! :o Here's hoping this game hasn't been delayed to change it to Fire Emblem Kart. :heh:

19 minutes ago, RedShell said:

I still find it unbelievable that Fire Emblem has been way more successful for Nintendo on mobile than both Super Mario and Animal Crossing!

It was always going to be. It's a game that was easy to add gatcha style mechanics to and they filled the game with skimpy outfits and cleavage shots. Sex sells. :D 

3 hours ago, MindFreak said:

There's not enough sex in Animal Crossing. In general.

What do you think happens when you turn the game off?

• Haha 2
  • Weird 1

Screenshots of the game are starting to surface.

wtSbMJz.jpgD7KI4NdV4AA4RLu?format=jpg&name=4096x409D7KMMBfWsAAq683.jpg

ixdGsl9.jpg

mMIBUBt.jpg

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It doesn't feel quite as chocolatey as the SNES game but I'll take it!

Be interesting to see what financial model they use, and whether they want to make a ton of money or not lol

Some details from NintendoEverything:

– 115MB download
– Played in portrait mode
– Auto accelerate
– Has retro tracks
– Play with swipe
– Seems like the amount of items you can have depends on the character
– Two laps per race
– Character unlocks are the gacha mechanic
– Ex: Luigi is a rare character
– Each character has a special item

• Thanks 3

Looks like complete shite.  A total waste of Nintendo’s development resources.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, RedShell said:

WTF!? Portrait? :hmm: 

Something had to go wrong with this I guess. :heh: 

If any mobile Nintendo game needed to be played in Landscape mode then surely Mario Kart Tour would be that game... this is just bizarre. :blank:

But then it is a mobile game, so I never held out too much hope and I'll admit that they aren't something I really understand or probably ever will. ::shrug:

It's just that the bar never seems to be set very high at all for these kind of games. :hmm:

I get that they are just quick "fixes" but I always thought of Nintendo games as a lot better than that but this just seems to be very low effort generally. :sad:

Especially with the way in which they've implemented the gacha mechanic with the characters.

Ah well, at least we'll always have the old classic portable Mario Kart games, I guess Mario Kart Super Circuit on a GBA Micro is still the ultimate in terms of portability. :D

Anyway, I know that this game isn't aimed at me as I'm not the target audience, so that's fine but it all just feels like a wasted chance to make something worthwhile.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S.C.G said:

Ah well, at least we'll always have the old classic portable Mario Kart games, I guess Mario Kart Super Circuit on a GBA Micro is still the ultimate in terms of portability. :D

Nintendo-Switch-Presentation-Screenshot-80.png

:D 

I haven't played Super Circuit in AGES. I played that to death back in the day and I always found it to be very underrated. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Nintendo-Switch-Presentation-Screenshot-80.png

:D 

I haven't played Super Circuit in AGES. I played that to death back in the day and I always found it to be very underrated.

Oh yeah, granted... the Switch version of Mario Kart 8 DX is the best portable Mario Kart game easily but I was just thinking in terms of anything that can fit easily in your pocket. :)

Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart 7 are both worth mentioning as well as they are pretty much easily portable and playable on the same system if you have a 3DS. :D

There was always something about playing Mario Kart Super Circuit on that GBA Micro though. :peace:

Mind you, I also quite like playing it on the big screen on the GameCube via the GBA Player as well with that Hori controller. :heart:

I don't mind the portrait mode, I figured they would go that way with the whole "one handed" commuter-style gameplay ethos they like so much.

The gacha system is really disappointing though, I imagine they'll pick and choose depending on the game but I hoped Mario Kart wouldn't stoop that low.

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Looks like complete shite.  A total waste of Nintendo’s development resources.

How much resources do you honestly think this is taking up? Barely anything in the grand scheme of things and if their job is to push people into the Nintendo ecosystem, Mario Kart on mobile is a good way to do that.

Sign in to follow this