NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Cyberpunk 2077 (10th December 2020)

Surprised its reviewing as well as it is with the numerous bugs and issues that are apparent in the game. A big pre-launch patch is being released for the Xbox version today I think on top of the day 1 patch so god knows how the console versions have fared going by the reviews being based off of a buggy PC version.

I'm in no doubt that the bugs and issues will largely get fixed but I suspect it'll be some ways down the line before its fully sorted. And thats where I can't decide whether to wait or not. Do I drudge through the mire of bugs and issues on the PS4 version (played on a PS5) to find what is supposedly a good game underneath or do I wait?

I didn't have any real hype for the game and on going issues with CDPR and how they've handled things (reviews included) hasn't helped. Finding out the following also is a major flag for me as someone who takes seizures:

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/12/07/cyberpunk-2077-epileptic-psa

My plan was the pick it up on Thursday but I do technically have more than enough to play right now and I do have my eyes set on a bunch of indie games that I want to play before the end of the year (Huntdown, Wildfire, Ghostrunner) and maybe pick up Crusader Kings 3 on Steam to play through GeForce Now so I don't know.

I think what'll seal my choice will be how much the day 1 patch improves things and how the console versions run. There's a reason they've been so cagey about showing those versions in any depth so I'll hold out for updates on them on Thursday before making my choice.

Does make me want to jump back into Deus Ex Mankind Divided as I started a second play through of that a few months ago. That'd probably suffice in the mean time and I at least know I'm not going to have the game bug out as badly (even if the ending is abrupt. Still waiting for the final part of the trilogy).

I really don’t understand why in this day and age all of these new blockbuster games need day one patches and are full of bugs.

I can understand the PS5 and Series consoles having bugs with games like CoD and AC:V (to a degree) because they’re new consoles etc. So there will always be some bedding in.

But it’s just ridiculous that this is a common thing these days. 

Edited by Aneres11
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ganepark32 said:

I didn't have any real hype for the game and on going issues with CDPR and how they've handled things (reviews included) hasn't helped. Finding out the following also is a major flag for me as someone who takes seizures:

Wow, the bit about how the player has to use a device literally designed to induce seizures is just crazy (which is possibly a coincidence but sounds too close that it may actually be done on purpose).

I seems very likely that someone who doesn't know they're epileptic will have a seizure from that section. 

• Like 1

Think i'll wait until more of these bugs and issues have been ironed out before picking it up, i've got a few games to get through at the moment.  And with Christmas coming up, probably will have a few more added to the pile

I've got this on preorder, but I'm playing Ghost of Tsushima currently, so I doubt I'll play it straight away.

Hopefully it'll be more stable when I get round to playing it, but if not I'll just pretend it's a Bethesda game.

11 minutes ago, Goafer said:

I've got this on preorder, but I'm playing Ghost of Tsushima currently, so I doubt I'll play it straight away.

Hopefully it'll be more stable when I get round to playing it, but if not I'll just pretend it's a Bethesda game.

Unfortunately playing it on a base PS4 you might get rid of some of the bugs but I still expect it to run pretty poorly whatever they do.

Got a dispatch confirmation from ShopTo this morning. Might appear tomorrow though i doubt it. Probably just confirming its "ready" for dispatch. Either way i'm not too bothered.

3 hours ago, Cube said:

I seems very likely that someone who doesn't know they're epileptic will have a seizure from that section. 

Whenever I see the warning at the start of a game, I always wonder how many people would be starting the game unaware that they have epilepsy? Are the warnings mainly aimed at people who are already aware of their condition?

4 hours ago, Ganepark32 said:

I am actually fucking disgusted by this and hope CDPR receive some serious backlash and remove it immediately - this should be higher priority than any other bug fixes.

I have epilepsy and whilst it isn't photosensitive I remember how horrible having the EEG/IPS tests done was, I have also had two seizures in the last 3 months and so know how bad they can be.

I was never going to play this game right away anyway, I knew there would be a ton of bugs and wanted to wait for the PS5 version, but if CDPR don't take this seriously and add some way to turn this effect off, or change it all together, as soon as possible then I may just boycott it all together.

The fact that this got past accessibility testing and general QA astounds me!

• Like 4

Well ShopTo failed me, no Cyberpunk today :(

Although my limited edition strategy guide got dispatched from Amazon this morning so they'll both turn up tomorrow :)

I won't be using the guide for the first few runs through the game, might use it for rare gear or sidequests though.

Playing no PS5, and looks very Dark and washed out... HDR May need calibrating 

It's funny, this arrives today and I still have no idea if I'm going to end up playing it yet or not based on the comparisons coming out for the console versions. 

I mean, it looks fine on the PS5 and Series X with backwards compatibility, but yikes at that PS4/One performance, especially on the One S going sub-20 fps. Might find myself saving it until Saturday to see what other comparisons show, because I'm especially interested in what Digital Foundry will have to say. Or I might just boot it up and cross my fingers it's all fine :laughing:

Either way, it's a massive shame, and if ShopTo hadn't started prepping this so early compared to news of the console versions and that shocking news about the potential for the game to cause seizures (?! seriously, the hell were they thinking?!) I would have cancelled my order. I know we expected it to not run as well on the PS4/One consoles, but there's not really an excuse for it running as poorly as it does. 

Also seen a lot of photos showing off bugs, such as billboards showing 'Debug' during gameplay but then the actual advertisment in Photo Mode.

Really on the fence with this for now, but in good news for CDPR:

That's pretty insane! 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Given the impressions I'm happy I don't have time to game these days. :D:(

Will definitely get this next year when it's optimized for PS5 :peace:

32 minutes ago, Julius said:

That's pretty insane! 

Hey now..."insane" is a strong word :p

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 1

I played for an hour on Steam last night. I've had no issues with the PC version - no bugs, no crashes, everything seems to run fine.

I can manage 1080p30 on my PC at medium / high settings and while it's not jaw-dropping (yet) it still looks great and runs without any hiccups. HDR also doesn't seem to be properly calibrated on PC. When I switched it on, I didn't notice that much of a difference, but it definitely isn't "dark and washed out" as Stuwii said, it still looks fairly bright and colourful on my setup. 

I've started as a Nomad and done the first mission which was fairly straightforward, followed by a pretty decent chase scene and half of the next mission. Really enjoying playing this in first person, the world feels very immersive and interactive.

• Like 3

I got this yesterday and have been playing on PS5. No bugs yet and 60 FPS is very nice. I can tell already this game has a lot of depth and that I haven't even scratched the surface yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

I got this yesterday and have been playing on PS5. No bugs yet and 60 FPS is very nice. I can tell already this game has a lot of depth and that I haven't even scratched the surface yet.

And just like that...

P4010.gif

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Julius said:

Also seen a lot of photos showing off bugs, such as billboards showing 'Debug' during gameplay but then the actual advertisment in Photo Mode.

This one is pretty unique...

Spoiler

• Haha 1

Copy arrived while I was on lunch and do the install has started!

Eo4UZIIXYAAfTxc?format=jpg&name=large

Really appreciate the inclusion of a physical Night City world map, can definitely see myself using it! 

Don't know if I'll get to the game before Saturday as I want to finish Uncharted 4 first (I know what I'm like, I'll just shelve it otherwise) and really want to dig my teeth into this when I do get the chance to play it (lord knows I'm spending a good chunk of time creating my V!), but hope everyone else has a good time in Night City! Fingers crossed everything runs smoothly :peace:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 3

Game's installed but I'm still downloading the 47gb day 1 patch! I'm sure there may be problems anyway, but given everything I've heard I don't want to start the game without it. 81 minutes go :)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tales said:

Game's installed but I'm still downloading the 47gb day 1 patch! I'm sure there may be problems anyway, but given everything I've heard I don't want to start the game without it. 81 minutes go :)

Oh dang, that's a meaty patch, best make sure I've got that downloading too :blank: enjoy! 

Also, got to say I appreciate there being a reversible cover with the female protagonist. 

EDIT: also just a heads-up to those playing/will be playing, I've been reading into the settings of the game a bit because I'm fully expecting this game to give me a bit of a headache, mostly down to the first person perspective and multiple settings (nothing serious but I just know what my head can be like at times!), and there are quite a few you might want to turn off if it either makes you nauseous or looks washed out. I read up on the PC settings but not sure if all are on the next gen backwards compatible versions, maybe someone could confirm?

Namely, for nausea, Chromatic Aberration, Motion Blur, and Depth of Field (last one is probably going to have less of a noticeable impact than the others, depends on if it doesn't make you feel off I guess). For looking washed out, might be worth turning off the Film Grain option. Lens Flare is also an option to watch out for, another one where it depends on your tastes and how you find it I guess!

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Julius said:

Oh dang, that's a meaty patch

Saw this in the recent posts sidebar and thought it was in response to the bug I posted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Namely, for nausea, Chromatic Aberration, Motion Blur, and Depth of Field 

CDPR's motion blur is atrocious. Moving the camera in Witcher 3 was the only time I felt nauseous in a video game (turned it off after I realised it was that).

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this