NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Cyberpunk 2077 (10th December 2020)

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Oh dang, that's a meaty patch, best make sure I've got that downloading too :blank: enjoy! 

Also, got to say I appreciate there being a reversible cover with the female protagonist. 

EDIT: also just a heads-up to those playing/will be playing, I've been reading into the settings of the game a bit because I'm fully expecting this game to give me a bit of a headache, mostly down to the first person perspective and multiple settings (nothing serious but I just know what my head can be like at times!), and there are quite a few you might want to turn off if it either makes you nauseous or looks washed out. I read up on the PC settings but not sure if all are on the next gen backwards compatible versions, maybe someone could confirm?

Namely, for nausea, Chromatic Aberration, Motion Blur, and Depth of Field (last one is probably going to have less of a noticeable impact than the others, depends on if it doesn't make you feel off I guess). For looking washed out, might be worth turning off the Film Grain option. Lens Flare is also an option to watch out for, another one where it depends on your tastes and how you find it I guess!

Can definitely attest to switching off Film Grain. The game looks heaps better with it switched off.

I'm gonna try it without Chromatic Aberration later as it's still a little blurrier than I'd like. 

• Like 1

Is it really as bad as they say on the base consoles? May have to wait for more to be patched before I play it on my OG Xbox One.

This did make me giggle though. 

Looks like I might actually have more free time a few days before Christmas...

NOOOOOO. DON'T TEMPT ME :p

Kinda want to pick up a PS4 copy next Wednesday...

4 hours ago, Dog-amoto said:

Is it really as bad as they say on the base consoles? May have to wait for more to be patched before I play it on my OG Xbox One.

This did make me giggle though. 

I played it for 4 hours yesterday on PS4 Slim. I thought it looked really bad. After seeing the comparison video I'm seriously considering waiting until I can get a PS5.

• Sad 1

Just given the game a quick try. Everything seems to run well on my laptop thankfully. Running it on High settings with RT turned off for now. Can never get fraps to show the fps on my second monitor but everything felt smooth with no obvious drops. Noticed a few bits of UI disappear off the side of the screen when on my Ultrawide, something a friend has also experienced so hopefully they can fix that.

• Like 2

My “physical” copy arrived yesterday and I managed to get it installed in a couple of hours, no patch or update either by the looks of things (or it was all just done with the initial download ::shrug:). While there was obviously no game disc inside the box, it was nice to see so much other stuff in there... a soundtrack CD, stickers, a map, postcards, and even what appears to be... a manual?! :o:hehe: I suppose those were still a thing back when the development of this game started. :heh: 

Not messed about with the visual settings much yet, but can already tell that some optimisation will definitely be required in order to hit a solid 60 fps on my PC. On the default settings (high/ultra + ray-tracing) it seems to be anywhere between 45-60 fps depending on how much is going on, but to be honest the variability isn’t really distracting at all, and having now also seen how poorly it runs on the base PS4 (where I was originally going to play it) I certainly won’t complain! :eek: 

But yeah, the game looks absolutely incredible, plays great and is clearly packed with content. Haven’t encountered any bugs yet either, well, other than minor stuff like the occasional floating object or iffy animation, but was expecting those kind of things given the magnitude of the game.

Also, how the hell they got that montage cutscene to work in real-time I’ll never know! Seriously impressive. :bowdown:

Anyway, back to Night City I go... 

• Like 1

Ok, definitely starting to notice more in the way of buggy stuff now. Thankfully still nothing game-breaking, but quite a bit of clipping, characters skating along the floor, cigarettes duplicating and staying in midair... :hehe: visual glitches like that.

Definitely detracts from the immersion somewhat. :blank: 
Noticed a patch downloading last night after I’d finished playing though, so perhaps some of that stuff has already been tidied up.

Took a quick look through the patch notes, and it seems like they have at least addressed the potential issue with lighting effects causing harm during the BD sequences, so that’s good.

In its original state it was certainly quite uncomfortable to watch, especially when playing in a dark room. Will be interesting to see exactly how they’ve adjusted the effect.

Well...I just bought a PS4 copy. :laughing:

Can't wait to get back home later tonight and give it a go on My PS5 :D

I've been playing it on a PS4 Pro and it's pretty good. I've ran into the odd texture failing to load quick enough and a few rare frame rate issues but all in all it's nothing i'm worried about. Started act 2 about ten minutes ago and it's pretty fun so far.

• Like 1

Tried the game on my sister's boyfriend's PS4 Pro and it was...not great. 30fps and not particularly pretty.

Gameplay got me hooked, though.

I did, however, play the game on my PS5 just now and...so much better. 60fps and much more beautiful :)

Early days (I think I'm still doing the prologue) but so far it's everything I expected it to be, which means I'm enjoying it a lot.

• Like 1

Some interesting bugs in Cyberpunk this morning. Sitting talking to Keanu Reeves and cigarettes kept spawning in front of him. My favourite though has to be driving down the street and about 10 cars spawning in the sky and falling into the road.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Some interesting bugs in Cyberpunk this morning. Sitting talking to Keanu Reeves and cigarettes kept spawning in front of him. My favourite though has to be driving down the street and about 10 cars spawning in the sky and falling into the road.

Yesterday I found a cat just chilling underwater. :heh: 

• Haha 2

Almost 4 hours in.

Once I "got access" to Night City I said "fuck the main quest, time to explore" :D
Been doing a few side quests, stopped some assaults, picked up lots of loot, marveled at some street corners and just had an all around blast :peace:

No bugs, yet. Hope I didn't jinx it.

Already can't wait to play this again with the next-gen version. :laughing:
But for now: Back to Night City.

• Like 2

Took a couple of screenshots with the settings on full Ultra with Ray Tracing and then on low for comparison

kkmp1HK.png

0LAbPUe.png

Edited by Happenstance
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Took a couple of screenshots with the settings on full Ultra with Ray Tracking and then on low for comparison

The reflections and shadows really enhance the presentation, but it still looks pretty damn good on low! :cool:

• Like 2

Just now, RedShell said:

The reflections and shadows really enhance the presentation, but it still looks pretty damn good on low! :cool:

Yeah when I knocked it down to low I expected a lot worse. The reason I chose that location though was that it was nicely lit anyway so maybe that helps.

I'd be interested to see a screenshot from the same location from anyone with a base console if they can.

I couldn't tell the difference to be honnest before I noticed the light bloom and shaddows were missing.

3 hours ago, Happenstance said:

I'd be interested to see a screenshot from the same location from anyone with a base console if they can.

Not base, just Pro. Looks worse though for sure.

LlQ6wqf.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RedShell said:

Well that bumped me up from 35fps (which I was happy to play at) with RT on to 55fps so that's good.

Spent a few hours with this game over the weekend, not as long as I might have liked but got to the start of Act 2.

Overall, I'm quite enjoying it. Gunplay is surprisingly fun and tight considering this is CDPR's first go at it (right?), and driving and moving around is pretty tight too. I wouldn't say it's best in class in any of these regards, but it's better than I think it could probably get away with being on the lower side. The game looks visually stunning, but I'm glad I turned off all those settings I mentioned before, certainly looks much better in my opinion without them; weirdly, I started the game up today and it hadn't saved my settings from yesterday, only noticed because I had a Maelstrom member in my face and there were lens flares all over the damn screen!). 

Haven't really found much of a flow to it until the end of the first act (which is a loooooooot of story and set pieces), only popping out of my car on the odd occasion when there's something going on nearby on the mini map. I'm hoping I find a better flow to it in Act 2, but yeah, as far how I normally play open world games, this one has had me far from my normal playstyle, at least up to this point. Still finding myself adjusting to the menus too, and found it really weird how during one set piece where you don't have a weapon, picking one up doesn't automatically add that weapon to a slot, and instead I found myself digging through the menu to equip it? Made for some odd pacing...that and changing weapons after running out of ammo firings encounters. 

Playing it on a PS5 and it has (generally) run well so far, frame rate has been a pretty stable 60 fps from what I could tell, with only a dip or two here and there, and I've only experienced noticeable texture pop-in on two occasions: once during the real time montage at the start (literally blink and you miss it, because I spotted it and suddenly was being shown a different location which looked much, much better), and when you first get into an open area outside of V's apartment building. 

Not to say I haven't come up against bugs elsewhere, though, because I've come across a few. Nothing like floating cigarettes or anything like that, but just bizarre things. Early on in the training courses, I'd complete them, screen would fade to black to send me back to the training hub, and then I would be spinning for no apparent reason. Every. Time. Hasn't happened again at all since I left that area, either, so that was odd. Had another time where I called for my car, and I had a crash in a tunnel down the road from me; my car had spawned in a position where it was clipped into another vehicle, it flipped that vehicle, and it broke out in flames. There was a time super early on where I was still adjusting to the controls and would just randomly wanted to test things, so I punched a civilian, and people ran away and ducked in terror, as they do. A minute late I arrive at my next spot to continue the story aaaaaaaand there's an NPC crouched over at the doorway blocking my entrance, and nothing I would do could move them (I couldn't punch or shoot them), so I had to close the game. Something which has happened multiples times is enemies spawning in walls, or being able to clip through them, which has been...interesting. 

And then there's just the AI in general, which seems really hit and miss. Some gunfights will be tense showdowns, other times I can literally walk up to them in full view of others and shoot them three times in the head, without any acknowledgement by any of them that their buddy is being shot. Also, what the heck is up with the traffic in this game? So far all the traffic I've come across has been crawling along at a snail's pace, to the point I'm breaking my own immersion and driving on the wrong side of the road more often than not, which causes car crashes that absolutely no-one seems to care about or react to! Not to mention the endless onslaught of cars stopped at green lights or halfway through a turn (on the other hand something nice I've noticed is the light changing to green whenever you drive up to a red light, though, which I thought was pretty cool). 

Oh, and I've had two software crashes. One time between loading screens in a string of cutscenes/conversations at the end of Act I, and another time when I opened the phone to send a message. 

Anyways, I don't mean to come down too hard on the game, because I've been enjoying it. Something I've got to mention is what happens at the end of Act I...

Spoiler

...with the Interlude. 

My favourite thing about games is being put in someone else's shoes, especially in situations where you're playing as a revered, legendary character, like when you get to see Sephiroth in action in Final Fantasy VII. It demonstrates just how powerful and bad ass that character is.

So getting to calmly walk through the Arasaka HQ and headshotting everyone I came across as Johnny Silverhand was always going to be my favourite part of the game by this point. I love how his health is so ridiculously high compared with V's too. 

All the yes to the Interlude. 

So, yeah, so far, been enjoying my time with the game, but have yet to really be blown away. But I'm sure there's plenty left to see, so hopefully that will change!

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this