NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Cyberpunk 2077 (10th December 2020)

14 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Goldeneye was a first person shooter.

Cyberpunk is an RPG.

So was Deus Ex HR and that worked a treat.

9 minutes ago, Kav said:

So was Deus Ex HR and that worked a treat.

Not saying it hasn't worked before, just responding to the Goldeneye jab.

• Like 1

It make sense to make the game FP if the protagonist aka V are our own custom-made made character and the Witcher game are in TP because the protagonist is already exists in the book and you can't alter him beside changing the clothes or grow a beard etc. Also someone said you will see a guy implanted an cyborg eye into V in FP. 😂 

Could not give one single fuck if it's first person or third person. I've played enough games in both viewpoints and I think most gamers these days have experienced both, too. Plus, more importantly...if there is one single developer that should be given a free pass and full support over making the game that they want to make, it's CD Projekt Red. If they think first person is the way forward, then I'll back them 100%. I don't even consider it a controversial move and I'm surprised that there's such a backlash to it. I remember all the complaining about Metroid Prime being first person (oh my god, all of the "it's a first person ADVENTURE" arguments were hilarious) and I thought that gamers had moved on from that.

• Like 4

I doubt there is a particularly big backlash, just as usual the vocal minority. 

I have absolutely no issue with it being in first person, it’s a viewpoint not a style of game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

I doubt there is a particularly big backlash, just as usual the vocal minority. 

I have absolutely no issue with it being in first person, it’s a viewpoint not a style of game.

I think its been mainly certain game site's fan bases (which seem to be a mix of the same people across all of them)

i've not been on era since it was set up, but having just come back to gaming site it does seem to be almost the same as GAf in it has randomly bandwagon style hatred for games over no reason.

@Ronnie Did you/Have you every played Deus Ex? or any other games that inspite of being first person you've liked?

23 minutes ago, Agent Gibbs said:

@Ronnie Did you/Have you every played Deus Ex? or any other games that inspite of being first person you've liked?

Never played Deus Ex, nor any of the Metroid Primes. I just find the perspective to be quite unsettling, I don't like melee combat or bad guys coming up behind you in FPSs, it just freaks me out. Third person at least I'm more of an observer to the action. Also movement in first person games tends to give me a headache. The Witness was pretty much unplayable for me because of this.

By the way, you can toggle between FP or TP for driving. It got confirmed by Kotaku. 

I was a little disappointed to hear it was first person and then I remembered Fallout 3 and Metroid Prime, both of which are in my top 5 games of all time. Projekt Red seems to be the sort of dev who could easily shake up first person exploration games. Imagine a sci-fi FPS with strong RPG elements, tons of non-weapon gadgets, and a Mirrors Edge-style traversal system... that shit would be insane. OK that's not necessarily what we'll get, but I'm curious about the possibilities.

1st person works better for shooting, whereas 3rd works better for melee. I imagine this will feature more shooting than melee, so the 1st person perspective makes sense.

I generally prefer 3rd person, but I can see why they've chosen the way they have.

I'm still waiting for Rare to explain why they went first person for GoldenEye, when the film was CLEARLY in third person.

Goldeneye was a first person shooter. Cyberpunk is an RPG.  

You're totally missing his joke by responding seriously, but that only adds to the humour.

In relation to this decision, combat in Witcher 3 was shite. That's enough justification for them to try their hand at first person.

• Thanks 1

I don't care if it is 1st or 3rd person. I just want the game! Its looking so good.

• Haha 1

Great video by Gamespot, in which Cyberpunk creator Mike Pondsmith breaks down the universe home to Cyberpunk 2020 and Cyberpunk 2077

17 minutes ago, Map said:

Awesome. Love the “v. 2. 18” :D

Maybe a first public look at the behind-closed-doors demonstration that the press got during E3? But perhaps condensed into a shorter gameplay trailer?

Hyped for Gamescom now. Shenmue III, Cyberpunk 2077, possibly some Splinter Cell... :bowdown:

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Watching it now, nice of CDPR to release it in 4K. It looks very impressive in terms of visuals and animations but Mark Brown will be tearing his hair out over the lack of accessibility if it ends up releasing looking like this. There is also way too much going on with the UI for my liking, from what the E3 previews said I had imagined the UI would feel like a seamless part of the world thanks to the player characters cyber implants but it looks really tacked on/videogamey.

Hidden towards the end of the gameplay demo: 

Sorry to have kept you waiting for this for so long!

Did you like what you saw? Because for us, the fact that we're finally showing you Cyberpunk 2077 is HUGE. Please go to our forums, twitter, facebook, discord, and do tell what you think. Is the game world how you imagined? Do you see what we meant by "immersion" when we talked about CP2077 being an FPP RPG? How does our vision of "cyberpunk by day" make you feel? We really want to know.

Aside from that, we think we owe you a few words of explanation on why we're showing you this gameplay now, some time after industry professionals and media saw it at E3 and gamescom.

Each time we discussed the idea of showing the game to you (and we discussed this idea a lot), we were ending up in this "we're not 100% sure" limbo. Why? Because (for most people), when a game dev shows gameplay footage from their game, it means that this is how the game is going to look or play like. It's not the case here. Cyberpunk 2077 is deep in development. We have a lot of design ideas, a lot of mechanics being playtested, but we don't know what we'll end up with at launch. This makes publishing videos like what you just saw risky --we don't want gamers saying 'but in that previous video that gun was shooting differently', or 'why did you change the interface?'. Change is inherent to game development and there's a ton of things being modified each day. Our fear was (and kind of still is) that you'll think what you just saw is how Cyberpunk 2077 will look like.

What gave us that extra confidence to show you a work in progress game? Good initial feedback from people who are accustomed to see games at various stages of development. What they told us (and they told us they really liked what they saw) gave us the boost we needed to show the current version of Cyberpunk 2077 to the most passionate and insightful audience --you.

So here's what Cyberpunk 2077 looks like today (or rather looked like when we recorded the video). We sincerely hope you liked it.

Again, thank you for your patience and all the thoughts you shared with us.

Yours,

CD PROJEKT RED

• Thanks 1

Looks fantastic. I'm in love! Just hook it to my veins!

I'm interested to see just they approach the open world in comparison with The Witcher 3 and how the quests change that world. They've been saying that they want to continue going down this route and expand it even more, which is very exciting for me. Just in that video alone, there seemed to be multiple ways of approaching that mission. As for release date, I would be delighted if we somehow had this for next year, but who knows? I imagine it's a really complex game to make, so it'll take time.

3 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

As for release date, I would be delighted if we somehow had this for next year, but who knows? I imagine it's a really complex game to make, so it'll take time.

I do think that a 2019 release date is at least on the cards, but considering that it’s based on a tabletop RPG called Cyberpunk 2020, I could see it releasing in 2020, too. Either way, unless something goes terribly wrong, it’s not five years off like everyone was making out was the case after the trailer was released and it was shown behind closed doors at E3. I’m actually surprised that people thought that in the first place, to be honest, considering that it has been in development for six years, and their higher-ups have previously talked about how they are envious of Bethesda’s fast turnaround from announcement to release, so I doubt that they came out of hiding only to have us wait another five or six years.

Last I checked, they had over 500 people actively working on the game, with 10 different writers. I imagine that these numbers have come down now, as they revealed that the game is playable from start to finish, but requires polishing for the most part. They also mentioned in a brief investor’s Q&A held after their Twitch stream that work has already begun on their next AAA game, though of course their focus is on CP2077 for now. Actually, interestingly enough, they did mention during the same meeting that they will reveal the IP for their next game prior to the release of CP2077. It’s probably too early to go speculating about that, but I’d love to see them realise an ancient civilisation or go hard sci-fi. If they’re going to continue taking on existing IPs and realising them in video games, I’d love to see something like the Condor trilogy (often referred to as China’s Lord of the Rings) given the CDPR treatment. 

I’m in total agreement with you in that I think this game looks spectacular. I couldn’t get into The Witcher 3 after giving it an honest try, and though I do plan to return to it (hopefully having read the books and maybe even the other games; I really just think that I was missing some context to attach myself to early on), but this has clicked with me completely since we got a first look at it. I’m still curious to see if and how they might implement online functionality (they’ve spoken openly about GTA V’s success before) into the game, too. 

Hmm...

CD PROJEKT RED, creator and publisher of The Witcher series of games is excited to announce that Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, a global leader in the entertainment industry, will distribute the studio’s highly anticipated role-playing game, Cyberpunk 2077, in North America.

Cyberpunk 2077 is a narrative-driven, open-world RPG set in the most vibrant and dangerous metropolis of the future — Night City. The game follows the story of V, a mercenary on the rise in a world of cyberenhanced street warriors, tech-savvy netrunners and corporate life-hackers. Featuring CD PROJEKT RED’s hallmark concept of choices and consequences, players will face difficult decisions that ripple through the entire game. Winner of over 100 awards at E3 2018, Cyberpunk 2077 is set in the universe of the classic pen & paper RPG system, Cyberpunk 2020.

“We’ve worked with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment on The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and both releases turned out to be really successful, so we’re entering this new stage of our cooperation with great confidence,” says Michał Nowakowski, CD PROJEKT’s Member of the Board and SVP of Business Development. “Cyberpunk 2077 is our biggest and most ambitious project to date, and I’m really looking forward to all the amazing things we can achieve together.”

“CD PROJEKT RED is one of the best game development studios in the world and it’s great to be working with the team again,” said Kevin Kebodeaux, Senior Vice President, Sales, Americas, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.  “Cyberpunk 2077 is a standout title and we are expecting great things from our continued collaboration with CD PROJEKT RED.”

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment will be responsible for the distribution and promotion of Cyberpunk 2077 in North America, and will bring the game to PC, PlayStation®4 and Xbox One.

Hmm...so we’ve gone through five years of silence, from its January 2013 reveal, to a tiny little nudge in January 2018 to remind us that the game still existed; got a trailer at E3 in June; got our first public look at the game during Gamescom in August; and, out of the blue, in October 2018, they’re revealing the (North American) distributor for the game? Anyone else smelling the potential for an upcoming release date announcement? 

I know I keep saying this, but...every single time we hear/see something about this game, 2019 just seems more and more likely. I maintain my optimism. 

Edited by Julius Caesar

Sign in to follow this