NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Cyberpunk 2077 (10th December 2020)

I can understand what they're trying to say, but I don't consider it to be true. Yes, typical cyberpunk would give off images such as many of the scenes that you would find in Blade Runner. High-tech futuristic societies that also combine with the breakdown of society, leading to those feelings of isolation or loneliness. I'd picture crime-ridden streets, lowlifes, all amongst a backdrop of bright neon street signs and tall buildings, with the dark sky helping to make those flashes of colour stand out. Society should be a utopia, but is much closer to a dystopia. But, that is a stereotypical view of what cyberpunk is. It's a bit like saying that all rock should sound like AC/DC or Aerosmith. That's not really telling the whole story.

To me, I instantly thought of the game as Cyberpunk much as in the same way that Blade Runner 2049 was Cyberpunk, despite much of it being set in the daytime. Those feelings of the breakdown of society or where people live in slums and poverty amidst the backdrop of all of this technology around them were present in both Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049. To say that all Cyberpunk should be set in the night time is silly or that a game that features daytime isn't Cyberpunk is just daft, tbh. Yes, the stereotypical images will always be set at night, as it makes those neon colours and bright lights stand out. But, the darkness is but just one feature. It doesn't encompass all of what Cyberpunk is.

I assumed they were talking about the literal "Cyberpunk" board game and thats why they were disappointed. From what I can see the game is set somewhere called Night City so if want the video game to follow the setting then seeing sky might be weird...

Edited by Happenstance

6 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I assumed they were talking about the literal "Cyberpunk" board game and thats why they were disappointed. From what I can see the game is set somewhere called Night City so if want the video game to follow the setting then seeing sky might be weird...

Ah, if they're talking about the source material then I'm at a loss as I don't really know of it. 

Saying that, apparently it's called "Night City" due to the person who founded the city, Richard Night. So, Night City isn't named it because it's always dark. But rather, I guess the name works on multiple levels.

What an odd complaint; what, the world stays a permanent state of night in a 'true' Cyberpunk game/setting?

This game looks amazing and is the one to watch for me now. Can't wait.

Oh my God...now we have a historically inaccurate Cyberpunk game.
The gaming industry is turning to shit. It's all doomed. DOOMED.
We'll have to wait another 59 years to find out if it was historically accurate.

But when we do, and it isn't... I'm going to riot!

Just now, bob said:

We'll have to wait another 59 years to find out if it was historically accurate.

But when we do, and it isn't... I'm going to riot!

I'm still waiting for everything that Back to the Future Part II promised me.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nolan said:

No, and frankly I’d appreciate it if you didn’t bring happenings of that cesspool here and make me read it with my own eyes. 

That shit is just depressing. 

Sorry ;(

this topic was a little light so I went there for the first time in months expecting everyone to be as happy as I was and well yeah

i think they are literally clinging to the so called “source material” of some board game and just, uhhhh

anyway thugs looked cool and I really want some game play

First person........so this going to be Cdprojects own spiritual Deus Ex? Oh man oh man oh man

right now someone at square enix is saying that they

792.gif

They threw away away a franchise and the RPG kings are cloning it, Christ they should just sell the rights to them

Edited by Agent Gibbs

There were supposed to be two Tweets in my post. No idea what's happening. Anyway, here is the second:

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Sweet Jesus. Why don't they show this to us :(

20 minutes ago, drahkon said:

There were supposed to be two Tweets in my post. No idea what's happening. Anyway, here is the second:

Not surprised at all by all the good things Reiner has to say about this. This was always going to be much further along than they were willing to share with the general public.

I maintain my stance that a 2019 release is on the cards; there’s no way that they’ve come out of the blue in the last six months only to have a two year wait remaining. It would just seem to go against the customer relations they currently have.

Also, @Fierce_LiNk, @Happenstance and others interested in the lore of the tabletop RPG (much of which will find its way into this game, I’m sure), I posted a link to this (links are being funny atm for me: https://www.pcgamesn.com/cyberpunk-2077/cyberpunk-2077-factions-classes-characters-story-setting-lore) excellent piece on the previous page, which goes into detail on the setting/story, megacorporations, characters and NPCs, and classes and roles in 2013 and 2020. Well worth a read :) 

• Thanks 1

I'm quite shocked that they got a playable demo behind the closed area. The game must be around 70-90% done and might come out within a year or two. Won't surprised me if it's 7/7/20 haha 

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Almost certainly; they’ve been saying this was a possibility for quite a while now, and this seems to be more of the same vagueness. Not that surprising for a developer that puts the quality of its games above all else.

21 minutes ago, DriftKaiser said:

I'm quite shocked that they got a playable demo behind the closed area. The game must be around 70-90% done and might come out within a year or two. Won't surprised me if it's 7/7/20 haha 

I can’t wait that long! :p but seriously, I’m not shocked at all (maybe more shocked that the rumour that it would be playable behind closed doors turned out to be true?), and I think it’ll be out by the end of next year, probably sooner. You don’t go dark for as long as they did on the game only to come back with a game which is 2+ years off. Plus, they’ve had hundreds of people working on the game for the last year or so. And they never stop talking about their want to do what Bethesda did with its short turnaround from announcement to release for Fallout 4

I think next year’s E3 will be the platform that they choose to really push the game hard and dive relatively deep into the early sections of the game. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if we saw another trailer at TGA in December.

• Haha 1

Huh some press mentioned that the game will be on the current generation consoles and next generation consoles as well. 🤔 Maybe we might get the multiplayer feature after the launch. 

When asked by Eurogamer if Cyberpunk 2077 is "purely" a single-player game, quest designer Patrick Mills answered yes. 

"We have multiplayer in R&D, but the game we're shipping to you, the game you're going to buy is the single-player experience," Mills explains to EG. "That's really what we're concentrating on now, the single-player RPG experience. That's what we want to nail down before we start looking at any of these other things."

Mills explains that said multiplayer R&D refers to both CD Projekt Red as a studio, but also Cyberpunk 2077 explicitly. When asked if this means multiplayer might be a post-launch consideration, Mills tells EG: "Maybe, no promises. Nothing at launch. At launch we're concentrating on the single-player game. That's what we want to give you."

Edited by DriftKaiser

Excellent technical analysis as ever by DigitalFoundry:

What they suggest is that what we see here is the game, which is seemingly confirmed by Daniel Bloodworth of Easy Allies during their Impressions video for the game: the trailer looks slightly cleaned up compared to the gameplay that he saw, but is not a CG trailer.

His impressions can be found here, and it’s well worth a watch — it’s not every day that someone like Bloodworth seems so enamoured by the quality of a game demo, but he clearly is here:

Absolutely gutted this is first person. That's me out. Oh well :(

32 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Absolutely gutted this is first person. That's me out. Oh well :(

Why?

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Why?

I just don't like first person perspective games.

I don't think I'm a small minority who think that, half the ResetEra thread was people moaning when it was revealed to be first person.

Just now, Ronnie said:

I just don't like first person perspective games.

I don't think I'm a small minority who think that, half the ResetEra thread was people moaning when it was revealed to be first person.

I think that’s fair, though I do think that this one will at least be worth a try, just because of how they’re going to be doing so many things differently. I also hover towards TPP over FPP a lot of the time, but I think that this will be a special exception, just considering the quality name attached to the title in CDPR. I love just how immersive they’re trying to make the world, so I do find a FPP quite fitting: this is supposed to be about us viewing the world through the eyes of one of its inhabitants, and feeling like a citizen of Night City. If this were something like a Zelda game, then I don’t think that this approach would work.

Then again, I did find it a bit odd initially that there isn’t going to be a choice between FPP and TPP (at least from what we’ve heard so far), and we will have fully customisable characters that we’ll only be able to see during cutscenes and the like, but that’s less of a gripe and more of a “oh, what we heard about the game before wasn’t totally accurate”/it’s been a mixed message up to this point. I really appreciate them coming out and being straight to the point about the way that the game is (as opposed to say EA, who hide everything that could be a potential problem from the limelight).

I also wouldn’t bungle yourself in with the ResetEra crowd, just because they’re the same crowd complaining about how the game looks like a complete detour from the Blade Runner, neo-noir cyberpunk game that we first saw back in 2013 simply because of it being daytime. 

This game is about CDPR pushing the limits of gaming technology and innovating the role playing genre as a whole, not refining it, and I think it is a wise move to make such a grand departure from the third person open world adventure of The Witcher 3 — which by all means is, at least critically, the bar for an excellent modern RPG — with this game, to keep themselves sharp and to show off their vast range of expertise.

• Like 1

Yeah of course I'll certainly be keeping an eye on it, I'm sure it'll be fantastic even if it's not for me. Hopefully seeing gameplay might change my mind

• Like 1

Just read over at Eurogamer that CD Projekt Red explained why they went first-person.

They don't have to explain or justify anything. If they think FPS is the way to go for Cyberpunk 2077 then that's how it's going to be.
I don't understand what the big deal is. ::shrug:

• Like 6

I'm still waiting for Rare to explain why they went first person for GoldenEye, when the film was CLEARLY in third person.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sign in to follow this