NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Cyberpunk 2077 (10th December 2020)

Sorry to bump this out of the blue with no news, but I've finally watched the gameplay reveal and I'm 100% in, looks great, love how all the systems interact. Made my peace with the fact that it's first person, the shooting often feels like a cover-based third person game tbh, which makes it all more appealing to me.

As for a release date, they do seem to be ramping up with something new each month so it wouldn't surprise me to see a release date announcement soon (which will probably then be delayed as per the video game industry rules)

Bandai Namco has also been confirmed to be distributing the game, across several of the European markets, meaning that the distributors of the game across much of Europe and North America (WB) will be the same distributors as those for The Witcher 3 in 2015. From a few minutes of looking around for some old articles, it would seem that the distributors for the game were revealed roughly a year prior to the release of the game. 

I believe that I have previously mentioned the grant awarded to CDPR by the Polish government for their efforts with the game, but I don’t believe that I mentioned a key piece of information from the same grant (and if I did, well then I guess it’s worth repeating now in light of everything that’s happened this year anyway): the grant which they [CDPR] applied for stipulated that development goals of the projects applying for said grant must be completed by June 29th 2019. 

• Like 1

From Techspot’s recent article summarising the events of CDPR’s most recent conference call, in which it was confirmed that there was indeed truth to the rumours going around about the game’s entire campaign being playable — and it remains in the polishing stage for now:

During a recent conference call between the studio and investors, CD Projekt Red CEO Adam Kracinski was asked if he felt Cyberpunk 2077’s story, graphics and polish would be as good as Red Dead Redemption 2’s.

“Without a doubt, quality is of paramount importance. We strive to publish games which are as refined as Red Dead Redemption 2, and recent Rockstar releases in general. That game is excellent, by the way, we are rooting for it. Rave reviews, excellent sales.”

Kracinski says the studio is confident in the success of Cyberpunk 2077, but that they’ve learned a thing or two from the community’s reaction to Red Dead Redemption 2. Primarily, they’ve seen how important it is to launch with a bug-free game – something that The Witcher 3 definitely wasn’t.

For reference, Red Dead Redemption 2 has a Metacritic score of 97, while The Witcher 3 received 92. “Once the game is complete, we can begin to patch various bugs, both major and minor, and we are setting aside time to complete this process,” Kracinski said.

According to the studio, if the Red Dead Redemption 2 launch proved anything, it’s that players will ignore the little games for big hits in today’s saturated market. The player base is expanding, but more and more players will stick to popular titles exclusively due to time constraints in everyday life. Cyberpunk 2077 aims to be one of the biggest hits ever.

Regarding development of the game itself, CD Projekt Red executives confirmed that it is “progressing fast and according to plan.” They also confirmed the rumors that the entire campaign is already playable but said that they intend on polishing it to perfection before launch. Still, that’s a strong sign that it will launch sooner rather than later.

So, a 2019 release of Cyberpunk 2077 still remains a distinct possibility at this point, but I could certainly see CDPR polishing the game until the launch of the next generation of consoles — if they really are serious about chasing down Rockstar’s numbers in the sales charts, that would seemingly be the best time to launch. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Beep boop.

A 2019 release is still not totally off the cards...

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

PlayStation's YouTube channel have released a great four-part miniseries on CD Projekt Red, which I think is well worth checking out:

Apparently the devs said the demo from last year are a small fragment of the game but they are still working/polishing the core elements and add more details/things to the game in the recent interview. 

Apparently the devs said the demo from last year are a small fragment of the game but they are still working/polishing the core elements and add more details/things to the game in the recent interview. 
Isn't that a description of every demo?
  • Like 1

Keanu truly is the coolest guy ever, making an already incredible looking game seem even better. Disappointed we didn't get more gameplay today but I guess there'll be plenty of hands on impressions during E3 so its not that big a deal they didn't show more. 

I kinda want them to have an option to activate censor bleeps after seeing that footage.

I'm easily entertained.

Not a big fan of Keanu Reeves being in the game, just seems a bit wtf and will pull me out of the experience. The male protaganist seems a bit annoying, might go for the woman instead.

Shame no gameplay but otherwise looks good.

The release date is awkward with the next Xbox coming 6 months later.

I'd have liked to have seen some actual gameplay but getting a release date, and it being a 2020 one and not the rumoured 2019 with a delay, was great and I'm so excited to get my hands on it. I think that's a very reasonable date to hit though I do remember that they were still hiring for the project a few months ago.

The Keanu Reeves thing was a bit weird. It's not as if the game didn't have enough cachet already from the hype that's generated over the years. But guess they wanted something a bit extra. Whether it'll add anything to the overall feel and narrative is to be seen.

There won't be any hands on from the show as CD Projekt Red have said it's only behind doors demos with their reps playing so we'll have to wait to hear hands off impressions on Tuesday from outlets. I do wonder if they'll do something at or around Gamescom like they did last year but they kind of need to get some hands on impressions from people outside the studio.

Still, April 16th. I'm excited. I just wish I could see more of the gameplay.

So, play at release or wait 6-12 months for the inevitable next gen port?

12 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

So, play at release or wait 6-12 months for the inevitable next gen port?

Neither.  :p

There are so many games being scheduled for 2020 I imagine publishers are really going to milk the ports when it comes to the launch lineups of the next Playstation and Xbox. 

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Neither.  :p

There are so many games being scheduled for 2020 I imagine publishers are really going to milk the ports when it comes to the launch lineups of the next Playstation and Xbox. 

Next year is shaping up to be pretty amazing, and that's just the stuff we know about. Heard a couple of reports the next 3D Zelda is 2020 too.

For Playstation 5, it feels like Sony are going to do a Switch and go big on their first year. Wouldn't be surprised to see Horizon 2 and God of War 2 out in the first twelve months. Oh and Dreams :laughing:

Edited by Ronnie

11 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

For Playstation 5, it feels like Sony are going to do a Switch and go big on their first year. Wouldn't be surprised to see Horizon 2 and God of War 2 out in the first twelve months. Oh and Dreams :laughing:

Dreams out in the first 12 months of the PS5's life? That's a bold bet. :D That game still baffles me. ::shrug:

Awesome interview from Ben Moore over at EZA with CDPR, asking a lot of questions about the game which I haven't seen asked yet: 

:bowdown:

Thanks will give it a watch later. The game certainly seems to be something special. Still put off by the first person perspective but I'll put up with it, everything else sounds amazing.

After RDR2 I was wondering what the next BIG ambitious, top quality game would be, and this looks to be it.

CDPR are doing a livestream at 7pm UK time showing 15 minutes of gameplay. I think it's what the media saw at E3 behind closed doors, but edited down for time, but I could be wrong.

Edited by Ronnie

Sign in to follow this