NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ronnie

Celeste

Anyone picking this up, just out on the eShop I believe. Thought it deserved its own thread.

Getting great reviews, IGN gave it a 10!!

Edited by Ronnie

Hmmm, not my thing. But I can consider it, because I have a Switch now.

I really like the look of it but I can't really afford to spend any more on games for a couple of weeks. Glad its getting such a good reception, I was worried it might be too similar to Super Meat Boy but it definitely seems to have its own vibe. 

Tempted by this as it looks great! It's actually all I ever wanted from a Ice Climbers reboot - take note Nintendo.

My one concern is that I don't have a Pro Controller and the precise movements in this game would definitely be better with that analogue stick and not the joy con ones. Think I'll nab Gungeon and Shovelknight first....

• Thanks 1

This wasn't really on my radar but seeing the reviews come out and how positive everyone seems to be over the game has grabbed my attention. Will probably pick it up over the weekend but most likely on the PS4 seeing as the Switch version is the more expensive option out of all formats and as there are quite a few games coming out in the next couple of weeks (especially indie games as the likes of Crossing Souls, Fe and Owlboy are all released within a couple of days of each other), saving a couple of quid will definitely help cover those purchases.

Looking forward to trying it though. Not sure how many of the B side levels I'll go for if they really ratchet up the difficulty but it'll be a nice little interlude between some of the other games I'm playing at the moment.

Didn’t know this. Why the fuck is Celeste more expensive on the switch then on other platforms? Was going to buy it tonight. Tempted not to to now. ThesE companies disgust me. 

On 1/26/2018 at 8:10 AM, dazzybee said:

Didn’t know this. Why the fuck is Celeste more expensive on the switch then on other platforms? Was going to buy it tonight. Tempted not to to now. ThesE companies disgust me. 

Ouch yeah your not kidding $24.61 here. Not excuse when it's digital only, seems perfect for handheld though!

This game is amazing. I highly, highly recommend it! Art style is beautiful, storyline is intense and the gameplay is so addictive.

• Thanks 1

Absolutely in love with this game! The level design is great and whilst it's difficult, the instant respawn goes a long way to stop you from getting frustrated. It reminds me of Hotline Miami in that sense.

Story is surprisingly deep and handed really well. A must play.

• Like 1

Picked this up tonight after reading some reviews and I'm impressed. Finished the first 2 chapters along with collecting a fair few strawberries. Absolutely love how tight the controls feel, it's a pure joy to pull off some moves. The music and atmosphere are superb. Can see why it's been scoring highly.

• Like 1

Picked this up on Wednesday myself and I'm absolutely loving it. The platforming is so crisp and clean and although my death count on some chapters went through the roof, it never frustrated because I felt I was learning the minutiae of the of the areas as I progressed. It's very much of the same ilk as Super Meat Boy in that regard and I definitely agree with giving it the that title of the new SMB for this generation. I'm also really loving the little story bits which really is what helps to elevate it beyond SMB in my eyes. It's just a superb game and nails it in every area and then some.

I did come across a little secret yesterday while playing Chapter 4, the one with the wind, that had me smiling because as soon as I saw it, I knew instantly what I needed to do. I've spoilered it in case people want to discover it on their own but it doesn't really dilute anything if you read it, just a nice little easter egg. Makes me wonder what other little things are tucked away like that.

Spoiler

I went into a secret area and saw a white rectangle box with the two black screws in opposite corners reminiscent of Super Mario Bros. 3 and so jumped on top of it hoping it would do what I thought it would and sure enough, after a couple of seconds of holding down I dropped into the background and was able to climb up and get a Crystal Heart. It's a small thing but it was genius and really awesome nod to an amazing classic game that will perhaps go over some younger gamers' heads but instantly came into my head as I saw it.

I was feeling as though I was in a bit of a gaming funk the last couple of weeks as nothing was really sticking with me but sitting playing this, it's go me excited to go home and get back on it, that's how good it is. Everyone should give it a go as you won't be disappointed.

Edited by Ganepark32
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I dismissed this initially, as I'm not that interested in Super Meatboy style platformers (I am somewhat, but in extremely small quantities). But this seems to be more than that, and I'll probably give it a chance someday (which means I'll add it to the ever growing wishlist).

Chapter 4 was frustrating until I (belatedly and stupidly) realised you could control the moving platforms! D'oh.

So satisfying making it through a screen without dying once.

Finished this late last night, loved it. A wonderful experience.

That said, I never want to play the post-game level ever again. Insane and often frustrating.

Oh and I've just heard there's not only B-sides, but C-sides to every chapter as well.

• Like 2

Finished it last night as well and building on what I said earlier, it really is a fantastic game. Absolutely loved it from start to finish and really loved the challenge that it brought. It never once got frustrating (even with my final death count being 1500 or there about) and I loved figuring out how to get through areas as they were intended or through finding alternate ways that took some patience to nail.

That platforming was superb, it worked so well, the controls were spot on and i really liked that although the game used a very simple set of mechanics, the variety of ways they test your skill and the mechanics for each level were fantastic.

Loved the story, it didn't need it but it was so heartfelt and handled well. And tho there seems to be people disliking the visuals, I really liked it. Thought the game looked great and the soundtrack was similarly well done.

I was sad when I got to the credits and seeing the game being over. I've got the post-game chapter to do as I missed some crystal hearts for it and I have the other half of the strawberries, some b sides to collect and the c sides as well do looking forward to getting stuck in for those. Not always a completionist with games but I loved this so much that I really want to play more.

So glad I picked it up. Was hesitant beforehand but it really has turned out to be a real gem and my favourite game of the year so far.

Edited by Ganepark32
  • Like 3

I almost wished I hadn't done the post-game chapter last night after finishing the game, sort of soured the experience at the time, but I have to applaud the level design of it, very clever.

The visuals were a mixed bag for me, majority of times they were lovely (incl. the UI, character designs, animations etc) but at the same time there were a couple of very ugly levels.

• Thanks 1

I finished the main story mode and really loved it for the most part. However, I've just tried the first B-Side and found it very, very difficult. So I doubt I'll go back to it for a while. It's a must if you love platformers though, and now I'm very tempted to get Super Meat Boy.

So, no ones mentioned it here, just saw on a stream of Celeste that Theo actually does have an Instagram, and it details some of his life prior to the game. In fact, the posts go back to May (I think) 2017.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

The soundtrack is available on Spotify now.

Even if you haven't played the game, give it a listen. One of the best soundtracks in recent years. It's wonderfully atmospheric. 

Here are a couple of my favourites:

I envy everyone that bought this on a platform that isn’t the fucking Switch. It’s just such a pain in the ass when I’m clearly holding a direction and that damn tiny joystick doesn’t register quite right annnnd I’m dead. Again. And again. And again. And again. 

6 hours ago, Nolan said:

I envy everyone that bought this on a platform that isn’t the fucking Switch. It’s just such a pain in the ass when I’m clearly holding a direction and that damn tiny joystick doesn’t register quite right annnnd I’m dead. Again. And again. And again. And again. 

Yeah, that sucks. Are you using thumbstick caps? Things are cheap and I’m reading a lot of positive reviews about ‘em. An out of the box solution would’ve been better but I guess they went with shorter sticks because of durability and portability?

Wait... doesn't this game support the D-Pad at all?

Yes, I know the Direction "Buttons" aren't great but if you're using a Pro Controller, I would have thought the D-Pad to be the best option, unless I'm missing something.

If it's a game where only analogue sticks are used for control then... I'm going to use my Wavebird when I get the game.

10 hours ago, Nolan said:

The guys on Radio Free Nintendo also complained about this on a recent episode. It's one of the reasons why I'm reluctant to buy it on the Switch.

I find 2D platforming is at its best when the controls are tight and a d-pad used.

Sign in to follow this