NEurope
Glen-i

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe League 2018 (Final results now in)

So by my quick counting, we have 50 points up for grabs + the double points on the last race. This is gonna be fun. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

So by my quick counting, we have 50 points up for grabs + the double points on the last race. This is gonna be fun. 

Minus penalty points for slipping on Bananas on Dry Dry Desert.

For the new page...

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Yeah, there's no way I'm ending the year with a boring old Player's Choice.

Next League Night: Tonight 8pm

m9h7LhQ.png

Room 1: @BowserBasher is host

@BowserBasher

@Glen-i

@viceview51

@martinist

@RedShell

@S.C.G

@Vileplume2000

This week's task is something quite special. Prepare yourself for the...

Random Rush!

Each race has a task! Try to complete all 12!

Like every good game, I'm throwing a whole smorgasbord of tasks at you right at the end game. Some of which might be familiar. It's going out with a bang! You can find them all in the following spoiler tag.

Random Rush! (Reveal hidden contents)

Chicken Ramp Dilemma

Thwomp Ruins - Drive over the ramp to the left of the starting line at least once.

• You don't have to use a mushroom or star to pull this off, but it's more advantageous to do so.
  • You don't have to do this on every lap

Constant Misfiring

Mario Kart Stadium - Misfire on the starting line

• A misfire is when you hold accelerate for too long on the starting line.

Everyone into the pool!

GCN Sherbet Land - Jump into water on every lap.

• There's two pools on this course, either one will do.

Puzzle Solver

Hyrule Circuit - Successfully pull off the Master Sword shortcut at least once.

• This is the shortcut that opens up when all three crystals are activated at once.
  • You don't need to be the person that hits the crystals, just jump through the Master Sword afterwards.

The Road Least Traveled

Twisted Mansion - During the water section on the final lap, take the path that the fewest people go for.

• Everyone is doing this particular task this time, so who knows how that's gonna turn out...

Captain Toad's Ultimate Exploration

N64 Yoshi Valley - Take a different path on all 3 laps.

• There are 4 paths, the bridge path (Far left), The cave path, The under-the-bridge path and the cannon path (Far right).
  • The path that goes slightly around the bridge on the far left counts as the Bridge path, so be careful.
  • There are 2 paths that lead to the cave, don't get caught out.

How do I shot item?

GCN Baby Park - You are forbidden from holding items behind you as shields.

• The items I'm referring to are Bananas, Red Shells, Green Shells and Bob-ombs.
  • Triple Shells, Triple Bananas and the Crazy 8 must be used up immediately. You have two seconds from when they appear to do so, otherwise, you fail.

The Troll of Donut Plains

SNES Donut Plains 3 - Drive under the first bridge.

• Pretty self explanatory, right?

Suddenly, Bananas!

GCN Dry Dry Desert - For every banana you hit, you lose a point

• Only bananas make you lose points, so getting hit with anything else is fine, not that you should.

Fear of Flying

3DS Melody Motorway - Finish the race without ever using the glider.

• You'll need to watch out before the bit with the jumping musical notes.

You've got no boost power!

Mute City - On at least one lap, you must hit none of the boost pads on the opening section.

• The section I'm referring to is the very start of the lap, where there are a number of small boost pads dotted around the course.
  • Once you get to the boost pad that leads into the first jump, you're done.
  • This only needs to be done on one lap.

DOUBLE POINT BONANZA

N64 Rainbow Road - Points earned in this race will be doubled.

• Another self-explanatory one. It's not really a task, I guess. But eh, try and win?

Each task (Except for Suddenly, Bananas! and the last task) has 5 points up for grabs. Go for it!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great night. Loved having a task in every race. Made it even more fun and a bit of a challenge. 

Surprisingly, that may have been my best night of the whole league so far. 3 top three places. Few highlights will be up later. 

Well I was able to do everything except Melody Moterway. The ramps decided to change as soon as I drove on the inactive one >_<

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, martinist said:

Well I was able to do everything except Melody Moterway. The ramps decided to change as soon as I drove on the inactive one >_<

Yep, that happened to me as well.

"Suddenly, Bananas" added a whole new element to the Dry Dry Desert race. No-one was using bananas as shields in the desperate hope of making someone lose a point. It was hilarious!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

"Suddenly, Bananas" added a whole new element to the Dry Dry Desert race. No-one was using bananas as shields in the desperate hope of making someone lose a point. It was hilarious

I decided to look behind me on Crossing the line into lap three, didn’t see the banana right in front of me and went spinning. It was a very different race. 

I believe I did all the tasks too. Well I’ll have to see about Haunted Mansion as I was leading on lap three and just went my normal route. 

Edited by BowserBasher

Right, here are the results from last week. Bonus points indicate the team that won in each GP.

xLL7eSF.png

EQT2gRu.png

That last GP was more than half draws! Nuts, right?

Anyway, I'm getting to work on the final results of this year. Check back later.

Oh, by the way, @viceview51. Your score for GP1 yesterday is 23 (Not counting random task points). Lower than your average. You want me to keep it?

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

While I wait for @viceview51 to get back to me on the disconnection, here's the breakdown of the 11 random tasks yesterday. Double point bonanza will be reflected in the GP results. 5 points for each pass and minus 5 for every failure.

Spoiler

Chicken Ramp Dilemma

Everyone passed.

Constant Misfiring

Everyone passed.

Everyone into the pool!

Everyone passed this one too.

Puzzle Solver

Everyone did this. Although @Dcubed had a close call. @viceview51 got disconnected, so he won't be penalised.

The Road Least Traveled

It was evenly split between the two paths, so no-one gets anything!

Captain Toad's Ultimate Exploration

Everyone passed

How do I shot item?

@BowserBasher failed this task. He held on to triple bananas for longer than 2 seconds.

Everyone else passed

Everyone passed, although @BowserBasher had to abandon his first attempt. He got it on the second lap though.

Suddenly, Bananas!

@RedShell @Dcubed and @martinist lost nothing

@Glen-i @Vileplume2000 @viceview51 and @BowserBasher lost 1 point

Fear of Flying

@Glen-i @Vileplume2000 @RedShell @Dcubed and @martinist all failed this one.

You've got no boost power!

Everyone passed.

Well, actually. When I say "Everyone", that's not quite accurate...

Yeah, confession time. I sent @S.C.G a Private Message right after I posted the Random Rush. Let's have a looksee!

So I posted the last Random Task on the board. Feel free to have a look, but know this.

They don't apply to you!

You're exempt from the tasks this week (Apart from the Double Points Bonanza on N64 Rainbow Road) because I have something else for you.

This week you're taking part in...

Super Sudden Sabotage!

Every time you beat someone in a race, you'll steal points off of them.

That's every race! The number of points depends on the current placings of that person. Beating the lower placing people will only net you 1 point, while the middle lot will get you 2 points.
Beating RedShell or me will get you 3 points!

Be aware that you must keep this secret until I post the final results. Blabbing to anyone will get you disqualified from any bonus points.

Good luck!

Yep. that's a lot of opportunity for him, and some very worrying times for everyone else.

So to reiterate...

@Dcubed and @Vileplume2000 are the bottom players and only lose 1 point for each time @S.C.G beats them.

@viceview51 @BowserBasher and @martinist are the middle ones and lose 2 points for each loss.

Meanwhile, @Glen-i and @RedShell lose 3 points.

So after that, here are the points everyone got from their random tasks.

HjOJ3Ve.png

Final results will be up once I get word back from @viceview51

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Glen-i said:

How do I shot item?

@BowserBasher failed this task. He held on to triple bananas for longer than 2 seconds.

Everyone else passed

Everyone passed, although @BowserBasher had to abandon his first attempt. He got it on the second lap though.

I realised that on baby park just too late and frantically got rid of them, just not soon enough. And the Troll one, I actually didn’t abandon it, I thought was the task just going in the water by the bridge or under it, so I did both on the first two laps. 

Well here we are. End of the year. And here are the results of the 2nd half League. But first...

Jk7fyFb.png

DuhkyjLUYAAF8qP.jpg:large

JxyhoAu.png

Note: Obviously this doesn't include the points from Random Rush. Otherwise @S.C.G would be first with 91 points!

But who won? How exciting! I can't wait to find out! You know, if I didn't already know because I update the League table.
Sorry, no pastel drawings this time, don't have a lot of time at the moment.

3rd Place

martinist

avatar2148_19.thumb.gif.a8834eee727f9c4f

He's 3rd, he's Scottish and he doesn't understand the concept of capitalization, but damn it if he isn't great at Mario Kart. Which is all that really matters anyway.
@martinist got an average of 34.6 and a total of 2,247 points. He was a comfortable 2 points ahead of 4th place. He's also one of the 3 people who managed to get 10 GP wins!

@martinist is the person most likely to talk about Mario Kart in the General Chit Chat thread. He must love the game soooooo much!

2nd Place

RedShell

sbava.thumb.png.e7ab9102595fd9f749e82ce3

He was leading until this week, but an unfortunate performance in some races left @RedShell with an average of 40.8 but with a dizzying total of 2,897 points. His top 3 placings were consistently unmatched in this league! I mean, it was flat out weird when he didn't place there.
Creepily enough, he got the same Top 3 percentage as 1st place.

@RedShell is the person most likely to earn a disapproving GIF off of me.

1st Place

Glen-i

glen_by_glen_i-dcd4wbd.thumb.png.08f1df2

Honestly didn't think I'd pull it off this time. But I did, so there! My average was 41.2 and I had a total of 2,103 points. I also had the most GP wins (24)
@Dcubed claims I rigged the numbers, but what does he know? He came in 8th!

I'm the person most likely to come up with incredibly stupid ideas that you all secretly love, but would never actually admit. It's the only explanation!

So here's the final results.

gDyiauu.png

Spoiler

nHQ8Vf4.png

There's still the full year results to come up. As well as the most important part, the awards that have no actual effect on the results! That will have to wait until later this afternoon though.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 6

Well done to the top 3. I can’t complain with 4th. If my results were more consistent with the last GP’s maybe I would have gotten higher, but hey, that’s Mario Kart. 

• Thanks 2

Sorry about the delay, Glen-i... But please include the results of gp1.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Well, it's that time of year. Time for the meaningless award ceremony! And there's two more I came up with! First up is...

The Perfect Attendance Award

This goes to the awesome person who managed an attendance rating of 100% throughout the entire year. That's all 140 GP's! Even if the sword of everlasting disconnection (trademarked) did it's best to smite them down.

@S.C.G is the sole winner of this one. And I've gone all out with your reward. I used an actual template to make a certificate from scratch this year. Is there no expense I won't burden!?

2yTwL06.png

That took me 10 minutes. You're welcome.

Honourable mentions go to @RedShell, @viceview51 and @martinist who all got higher than 90% attendance.

Next up is...

The Blue Shell Award

MisguidedLateChevrotain-size_restricted.

This one goes to the person who got the most 2nd place GP placings. Because dealing with that particular winged monster is just not worth the stress...
Congratulations to @RedShell for a decisive victory in this aspect. Like, it wasn't even close.
That said, @martinist and @Glen-i clinched 2nd and 3rd most, respectively.

The PWMNBD Award

96923.gif?quality=90&lb=620,413&backgrou

The PWMNBD (Person Who Made No Bloody Difference) celebrates the person who is most likely to enter a League night and make no difference to their average what-so-ever. Such stability is commendable, even if it doesn't help them win...

@BowserBasher is the winner of this one. 10 separate occasions where he pulled this off.

@S.C.G and @viceview51 both got 6.

The Ultimate Rivalry Award

050516_hou_orbit_norbit_fighting_med_tw_

This one goes to the two people who had the smallest point difference at the end of the year.
This year's mortal enemies are @Vileplume2000 and @Dcubed with a 0.1 point difference. I mean, there's only one way that could have been any closer! Very stylish!

And finally, there's...

The Taskmaster Award

tumblr_nem8hy0Sbe1r0r092o1_500.gif

This award goes to the person who completed the most Random Tasks. No matter how stupid they might have gotten. Seriously, your eagerness to follow instruction is bordering on worrisome.

@RedShell wins this one. And now I know who to go to when I need something done.
@martinist and @viceview51 did particularly well on this one as well.

But now...

Spoiler

Although, if you remember the results of the first half, 1st and 2nd probably won't be that surprising...

3rd Place

martinist

avatar2148_19.thumb.gif.a8834eee727f9c4f

Total Points: 4,226

Average: 32.5

2nd Place

RedShell

sbava.thumb.png.e7ab9102595fd9f749e82ce3

Total Points: 5,426

Average: 39.6

1st Place

Glen-i

glen_by_glen_i-dcd4wbd.thumb.png.08f1df2

Total Points: 4,619

Average: 41.6

J32Lyj3.png

What, you want me to say something again? I just did so in the last post! Give me a break!

And that wraps up the 2018 League. I like to think it was a successful experiment. And I hope you enjoyed the new twist on the familiar.

Massive thanks to @BowserBasher for being the room host on the majority of the nights and for once again dealing with my shenanigans. And definitely for improvising when I couldn't keep the updates going. As well as providing me with any results screenshots I need.
Let's face it, he's one of the columns keeping this League from collapsing in on itself. And I couldn't do this without his support.

I also want to give thanks to @RedShell for providing me with a not crap logo for this year, as well as providing some secondary support to help me out. I'd like to take this opportunity to ask if you'd able to provide a logo for 2019. Whenever you're able to, of course.

And of course, thanks to everyone who took part. Especially those of you who qualified in at least one of the leagues. You guys rock!

I will once again run the League for 2019. Random Tasks won't feature in the first half for sure, but we'll have to see if it makes a return.

The 2019 League will begin on the 24th of January. I will open a new thread about a week before hand. I hope to see you there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

The PWMNBD (Person Who Made No Bloody Difference) celebrates the person who is most likely to enter a League night and make no difference to their average what-so-ever. Such stability is commendable, even if it doesn't help them win...

@BowserBasher is the winner of this one. 10 separate occasions where he pulled this off.

Wow, I'm so excited to win this award which shows how mediocre I am, I mean 10 times I made no bloody difference in score. That's like not playing that week. :heh:

Massive thanks to @BowserBasher for being the room host on the majority of the nights and for once again dealing with my shenanigans. And definitely for improvising when I couldn't keep the updates going. As well as providing me with any results screenshots I need.
Let's face it, he's one of the columns keeping this League from collapsing in on itself. And I couldn't do this without his support.

No, all the thanks goes to you, @Glen-i without you the.............I can't do it, lol, It's a group effort. I'm pleased to be apart of this great group of fans that have stuck together nearly every week of the year to get excited (hooray, one more time), angry at the blue shells, and mad at the stupid tasks you set us. All to have a laugh at the end of the night at the highlights that are shown. I may not have made 100% attendance this year due to making a few new friends and being a little more social, but I will always try to make the nights. So thanks to whoever steps in when I am not able to make it.

giphy.gif

Now of course it's time for the best part of the week. Highlight time.

If people are still up for races, I will open the room each Thursday as normal for 3 GP's until the 2019 league starts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1