MindFreak

Nintendo Labo

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, RedShell said:

Very intriguing announcement. Going to be a shame if “VR” on Switch remains exclusive to LABO, but I’m guessing it probably will. 

If they somehow got it working with other games though... Imagine Mario Kart 8 + Toy-Con steering wheel + VR! :o

I’m pretty certain that’s gonna happen.  MK8dx already runs at 60FPS in splitscreen, so its already good to go as far as VR Rendering goes.

 

Looking forward to the beautiful motion sickness when you get hit by a banana!

Edited by Dcubed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Looking forward to the beautiful motion sickness when you get hit by a banana!

Pretty sure the spinning wasn't shown when playing in First Person Mode on Mario Kart 7 and I don't see why that situation would be any different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I’m pretty certain that’s gonna happen.  MK8dx already runs at 60FPS in splitscreen, so its already good to go as far as VR Rendering goes.

Oh yeah, I’d not thought about it like that. Here’s hoping then. :) 

4 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Pretty sure the spinning wasn't shown when playing in First Person Mode on Mario Kart 7 and I don't see why that situation would be any different.

Be good if it was though... Suddenly Bananas = Suddenly vomit. :heh: 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RedShell said:

Be good if it was though... Suddenly Bananas = Suddenly vomit. :heh: 

I'm not drawing a movie poster for that...

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I’m pretty certain that’s gonna happen.  MK8dx already runs at 60FPS in splitscreen, so its already good to go as far as VR Rendering goes.

 

Looking forward to the beautiful motion sickness when you get hit by a banana!

If it happens, I'll buy whatever LABO is necessary to experience it :grin:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow that’s not how I saw Nintendo announcing their return to the VR market! 

I like the idea of a VR-headset that’s cheaper than the competitors, but with Labo still being quite niche along the announcement coming via a tweet without a video suggests that even Nintendo don’t see this as being a big seller. I can’t see developers making many games with this in mind, so it will be interesting to see what Labo creations can be made by users, as this is the only way I can really see this being promoted.  I am happy for Nintendo to prove me wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bored of waiting 4+ years for Dreams to finally come out? Try VR Elephant, from reveal to release in three weeks.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So finally a trailer for it? Weird way of announcing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wow! That looks rad as hell!  The foot pedal shooting gusts of wind at you as you jump is an absolute stroke of Nintendo-grade genius!

 

And VR Garage looks shockingly robust! You can even make your own 3D models and environments!  Actually looks like it might legitimately give Dreams a run for its money! :o 

 

Defo up for nabbing this! :D 

 

Also that Toycon Camera is so hilariously perfect for Pokemon Snap 2 that it almost makes me want to cry... COME ON NINTENDO!!! YOU CAN'T IGNORE IT THIS TIME!!!

Edited by Dcubed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

The foot pedal shooting gusts of wind at you as you jump is an absolute stroke of Nintendo-grade genius!

I was going to say a similar sort of thing. Only Nintendo could be crazy enough to come up with something like that :laughing::bowdown:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else want there to be a Metroid Prime 4 VR kit too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anyone else want there to be a Metroid Prime 4 VR kit too?
Maybe that's why it got rebooted?
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my dispatch email, Labo VR is on the way!

I went with the starter set as I'm hoping that like the first game, some of this will be playable without the additional cardboard. :hehe: It looks like the Elephant Toy-Con requires reflective markers for the IR camera, but it should be possible to get that done D.I.Y style ;) because the less stuff I have to store, the better. And if it turns out to be a more complicated setup than that, I can always just get the expansion set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So mine arrived today... first impressions?

 

 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've spent a few hours with Labo VR and I have to say I'm impressed! :cool: One really cool feature is how the Switch can detect when it's inside the goggles, and activate or deactivate the VR mode automatically.

However, even as someone that's had minimal experience of VR (have only used mobile phone VR before) the resolution is a pretty massive problem here. It's literally the very first thing you notice when you look through the goggles, the entire picture is just way too soft and there's also a crazy amount of motion blur going on whenever you move around. :hmm: Despite this issue though it still manages to create a fantastic sensation of immersion, objects jump right out at you and it definitely feels like you've stepped into another world. It's funny as well. I have been laughing my head off trying the various mini-games. :laughing:

Love the VR videos that are included too. My favourite has to be the deer feeding vid, that one is absolutely amazing and so god damn cute! :love: I've actually watched it several times already. In fact, I think I could watch it forever... :heh:

So yeah, first impressions are good, but at the same time it is such a shame that the image quality isn't better. Still excited to try out the Mario Odyssey and Zelda VR stuff, but having seen just how incredibly low the resolution on this is, it's probably not going to be quite as impressive as I was originally anticipating.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So I finally had a chance to give it an actual go this time...

 

I’m actually quite impressed by the image quality! It looks a lot better than I thought it would! There isn’t a huge screen door effect like I feared there would be; but there is quite a bit of motion smearing when you move your head around (no doubt thanks to the use of an LCD display).  Bit unfortunate, but not a deal breaker really, since it really looks fine when you’re not rapidly moving your head around.  Don't go in expecting anything that's gonna rival a HTC Vive, or even a PSVR, but it definitely looks better than the Oculus DK1!

 

Speaking of which, I’m VERY impressed with the head tracking! I’ve not had it drift off and lose calibration at all so far! It’s surprisingly good!

 

It’s also pretty comfortable to use too.  I actually don’t really feel a huge need for a strap outside of games that use two separated joy-cons! The fact that it's completely wireless is a big plus as well.

 

I’ve only tried the tennis minigame so far, but I think the thing I’ve been most impressed by is the HD rumble! It’s sick!! You can actually throw the ball in the air, have it land on the side of the racket, roll it around and you can feel EXACTLY where the ball is on the racket!! It’s insanely good!!!

 

It’s the most mind blowing thing I’ve seen since Ball Count in 1,2,Switch! It’s nutso! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I’m actually quite impressed by the image quality! It looks a lot better than I thought it would! There isn’t a huge screen door effect like I feared there would be; but there is quite a bit of motion smearing when you move your head around (no doubt thanks to the use of an LCD display).  Bit unfortunate, but not a deal breaker really, since it really looks fine when you’re not rapidly moving your head around.  It definitely looks better than the Oculus DK1!

I've not used the Oculus DK1, but I'm pretty surprised by that! :o Have you used PSVR? If so, how would you say Labo VR compares there?
If there's one thing Labo VR has actually done, it's make me even more tempted to get a dedicated VR headset. :heh:

I mean I am enjoying this, but there's no getting around the fact that it can be bloody cumbersome to use. The games that also require detached Joy-Con would be infinitely more comfortable to play if you also didn't have to hold the VR Goggles up to your face. Definitely want to try creating a makeshift head strap for it at some point.

Anyway, I've just been messing around with more of the mini-games. Major WarioWare Vibes on some of them. :D If WarioWare is headed to the Switch, I hope Labo VR support will be included.

11 hours ago, Dcubed said:

but I think the thing I’ve been most impressed by is the HD rumble! It’s sick!!

Yeah, HD rumble has always been fantastic in Labo. :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, RedShell said:

I've not used the Oculus DK1, but I'm pretty surprised by that! :oHave you used PSVR? If so, how would you say Labo VR compares there?
If there's one thing Labo VR has actually done, it's make me even more tempted to get a dedicated VR headset. :heh:

I mean I am enjoying this, but there's no getting around the fact that it can be bloody cumbersome to use. The games that also require detached Joy-Con would be infinitely more comfortable to play if you also didn't have to hold the VR Goggles up to your face. Definitely want to try creating a makeshift head strap for it at some point.

Anyway, I've just been messing around with more of the mini-games. Major WarioWare Vibes on some of them. :D If WarioWare is headed to the Switch, I hope Labo VR support will be included.

Yeah, HD rumble has always been fantastic in Labo. :)

I haven't used PSVR, but I have used HTC Vive (the super duper high end one), Oculus Rift DK1 and DK2/CV1.  Labo VR is certainly nowhere near as sharp as the HTC Vive, but I thought it looked a lot better than the DK1 and not too far off of the DK2/CV1 really (which is the same resolution as the PS VR).  The big difference for me though between the fidelity of the DK2/CV1 and the Labo VR though is not really the resolution; its the use of OLED and its high refresh rate.  You don't get any of the smearing and after-images with proper headsets that you get with Labo VR and it feels a lot better to move your head around as a result than with Labo.

 

That being said though, the wires are a nuisance.  I do really like the fact that Labo is totally self-contained and wireless and you'll miss that with proper headset setups.  The motion tracking is a lot more robust with those headsets though; since you have external tracking devices that can detect your position in 3D space, there's just a lot more you can do.  You can actually move your head back and forth and move around the room; and of course the same is true of their motion controllers.  Labo VR is obviously limited in nature and in what you can do in terms of gameplay, but the general experience is surprisingly not that far off! I reckon that with some smart design, you could get some very comparable experiences (and I'm sure I'll see some of that when I eventually build the other Toy-Cons - I know that the Elephant one basically gives the Joy-Cons 6DOF motion tracking; which would make more complex experiences possible!)

 

I'm not really big on VR as a whole (its just cumbersome in general), but I just found Labo VR to be a lot better than I was expectng really.  And the Joy-cons do a better job than I was expecting, given the limitations of 3DOF.  While Labo VR certainly can't compare to "real" VR headsets, I'd certainly like to see Nintendo think about putting in a 1080p OLED screen into the Switch Pro to improve the VR experience further!  I'd also like to see them put out an official strap as well (Which I think they'll do.  Those washers on the left and right of the headset are surely meant for a strap!? And selling the strap seperately, like the Labo Customisation Kit, would also allow them to get around the age rating restrictions that would otherwise have had to make Labo VR for ages 12 and up).

 

Also I totally agree.  I was saying as much to @Glen-i that the whole package gives me huge Wario Ware vibes! Right down to the font choices! Those videos were also horrifying awesome in how much they evoked the feel of Wario Ware too :D (And that VB tease is so aggrovating!! They know how much people want to see them re-released :laughing:)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I know that the Elephant one basically gives the Joy-Cons 6DOF motion tracking

Yeah, my D.I.Y Toy-Con Elephant (done using only the face section from the Labo parts website and some leftover reflective stickers from the Variety Kit) didn't really work out due to the way both Joy-Con also need to be moved simultaneously with the trunk. Looks like I'll have to order that Expansion Kit after all. :laughing:

I have managed to successfully play the Camera, Bird and Frog Jumping games without building any of their respective Toy-Con though, so I'm glad about that at least, as it means I don't need to worry about buying those and then finding storage space for 'em. :grin: 
I'm yet to make the Blaster, but that looks like another one that might require the actual Toy-Con to play properly.

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Also I totally agree.  I was saying as much to @Glen-i that the whole package gives me huge Wario Ware vibes! Right down to the font choices! Those videos were also horrifying awesome in how much they evoked the feel of Wario Ware too :D (And that VB tease is so aggrovating!! They know how much people want to see them re-released :laughing:)

Have you checked out all the vids yet? Some nice Nintendogs + cats and Tomodachi Life Vibes in there too. ;) Oh, and there's a mini-game which took me back to Wii Music.
Labo VR is like a celebration of Nintendo's quirky catalogue, and I am loving it! :yay: No sign of any Mario Paint references so far, but I've not been able to properly use the doodle section yet. They must have snuck something in there though... MPface.gif

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Yeah, my D.I.Y Toy-Con Elephant (done using only the face section from the Labo parts website and some leftover reflective stickers from the Variety Kit) didn't really work out due to the way both Joy-Con also need to be moved simultaneously with the trunk. Looks like I'll have to order that Expansion Kit after all. :laughing:

I have managed to successfully play the Camera, Bird and Frog Jumping games without building any of their respective Toy-Con though, so I'm glad about that at least, as it means I don't need to worry about buying those and then finding storage space for 'em. :grin: 
I'm yet to make the Blaster, but that looks like another one that might require the actual Toy-Con to play properly.

Have you checked out all the vids yet? Some nice Nintendogs + cats and Tomodachi Life Vibes in there too. ;) Oh, and there's a mini-game which took me back to Wii Music.
Labo VR is like a celebration of Nintendo's quirky catalogue, and I am loving it! :yay: No sign of any Mario Paint references so far, but I've not been able to properly use the doodle section yet. They must have snuck something in there though... MPface.gif

Yeah, I instantly thought of Nintendogs + Cats when I watched those videos! VR versions when Nintendo?

 

I’d be surprised if there wasn’t at least a nod towards Mario Paint in the doodling minigame; but if not? Then I’m sure that SMM2 will be absolutely loaded with them! SMM was basically a Mario Paint game anyway MPface.gif

Edited by Dcubed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look who I found*: ;)

*made. :heh:

Oh man, it's even more terrifying in VR! :laughing:
Nintendo, take note, Baby Face is the perfect character for your entry into the VR horror market. :D

 

  • Haha 4
  • Weird 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is absolutely horrifying amazing @RedShell! It’s a damn shame you can’t share your creations because I’d love to scare the crap out of surprise some people with that! :peace:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Oh snap! Youtube VR videos work with Labo VR!!! (No headtracking support yet, obviously), but the 3D effect does indeed work (mostly) as intended!

Depends on the video mind you, some aren't formatted well, but that's the nature of user-made videos...

Edit: Virtual Boy games (in Youtube VR video form) actually look really good in Labo VR! Very sharp and clear (in contrast to the video included in the Labo VR Kit, which was super blurry).  The resolution seems to be a good match for Labo VR, and pretty close to the real thing (outside of the chromatic abberation, which is sadly unavoidable with an LCD display).  I'd be very happy to be able to play VB games on this thing! Now make it happen Nintendo!! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Oh snap! Youtube VR videos work with Labo VR!!! (No headtracking support yet, obviously), but the 3D effect does indeed work (mostly) as intended!

Depends on the video mind you, some aren't formatted well, but that's the nature of user-made videos...

Edit: Virtual Boy games (in Youtube VR video form) actually look really good in Labo VR! Very sharp and clear (in contrast to the video included in the Labo VR Kit, which was super blurry).  The resolution seems to be a good match for Labo VR, and pretty close to the real thing (outside of the chromatic abberation, which is sadly unavoidable with an LCD display).  I'd be very happy to be able to play VB games on this thing! Now make it happen Nintendo!! :D 

Cool! Might have to actually download YouTube for Switch now. :hehe:

*EDIT*

@Dcubed, just been checking this out. It’s cool that it works, but most of the vids I saw were unwatchable! Waaaay too much separation on the 3D so it just makes everything look like you’ve got double vision! :heh: Funnily enough the Virtual Boy vids are much better. And yeah, they look great compared to the Labo vid. :cool: 

Any good non-Virtual Boy 3D YouTube vids that you’d recommend?

Edited by RedShell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG! The Toy-Con Blaster is an absolute riot! :bouncy: It's no wonder Nintendo chose it for the VR Starter Kit, best Toy-Con of the entire Labo series so far I reckon. :cool:

It features actual reload and firing mechanisms (powered by elastic bands :heh:) which produce a super satisfying click and "recoil" effect every time you use it. The feedback feels great and syncs up perfectly with the in-game gun. It's just so much fun!

The main blaster game is also pretty intense, with many targets to take out and limited time to do so. Luckily the slo-mo feature of the Toy-Con Blaster is very handy for setting up multiple shots. ;)

This is easily the most fun I've ever had playing Labo. :yay:

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now