NEurope
MindFreak

Nintendo Labo

Yeah some of the things people have made with it so far are already brilliant:

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 1

If you really want to see just how long it takes to make the Piano and what it can do then check out this video.

Fascinating stuff, I'm not getting one but... part of me now kind of wishes that I was even though I can't justify it at the moment.

But I do look forward to seeing how everyone else - who is buying Labo - gets on with it. :D

• Thanks 2

Those Game & Watch recreations are great. :D 

It seems you can only generate basic white shapes onscreen when using the toy-con garage, but obviously when combined with overlays like that one there are some pretty cool and creative possibilities. LABO looks to be a perfect example of limitation enhancing creativity. :idea:

I’m really looking forward to experimenting with it, after building the standard stuff of course. :hehe:

• Thanks 1

Ooh! Variety Kit surprise GET! :bouncy:

Wow, the LABO cardboard is insanely thin. :o

Anyway, I made the Toy-Con RC Car and took it for a spin. Man, the noise of the HD Rumble motors freaking out is horrific. BBBBrrrrEErrrErRrRrrrrrrrkrkrkrkkrrrrr.... :shakehead:laughing:
Really fun driving it around though, and using those little reflective targets so it can drive itself. The IR camera/night vision thing is super cool. :cool:

The game itself has great presentation, really quite slick. I'm loving the WarioWare D.I.Y.-esque explanations for the workings of the toy-con too, and the music.

What to make next though? :hehe:
I really want to do the piano, but that is no doubt the most complex and time consuming build, so will probably save it for the weekend. The order in the game suggests the fishing rod, so guess I'll give that a go.

*EDIT*

About halfway through the fishing rod build, damn... this is way more complex than I anticipated. And the game has already mocked me by saying I took longer than expected to build the first part! :laughing: :blush: Some of the smaller bits are super fiddly. But it’s so satisfying when 2 sections attach perfectly with a nice “click” sound. You’ve gotta admire the way this stuff has been designed, it’s incredibly clever!

Gonna have nightmares about making the piano now though... :D

*EDIT 2*

Fishing rod complete! :yay:

Phew! That was hard work. Thought I’d cocked it up a few times when some of the smaller tabs got stuck in the wrong position, but managed to fix them. Just tested it out with the fishing game, and it seems to work perfectly! It’s actually mad how well the movements you make with the rod translate to the game part on the Switch, feels almost magical. :hehe: 

Bravo, Nintendo... Bravo. :bowdown:

Edited by RedShell
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Finished going through the Joy-Con discovery section. There's some great stuff in there (not to mention some pretty humorous dialogue :grin:) and it does a brilliant job of explaining how the various aspects of the Joy-Con work.

Spoiler

actually didn't realise there was also a gyroscope inside the Switch system too. :o

Spoiler

DbuQa4DU0AA-Sqs.jpg:large

DbuQ1_oVwAAphCn.jpg:large

DbuQ6omU0AA5BMP.jpg:large

DbuQ_AnVMAAya0C.jpg:large

DbuRDkEV4AATvbg.jpg:large

DbuRIMDVwAEs3Q4.jpg:large

• Thanks 1
  • Weird 1

Yeah I'm mighty tempted to just go to the store tomorrow and grab the variety pack. But I just bought the Korg app for 40 euros (which I'll get into once I've finished this post), and with so many games this week and May (even without Dark Souls). Gah. I also wonder if things like Smileboom and Phuze will make this obsolete for my purposes. They probably will. Still though, could be fun in the meantime.

I've also heard rumblings of people wanting to combine this with Lego (Mindstorm). Like if it wasn't already expensive enough! :laughing: The possibilities though!

2 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

But I just bought the Korg app for 40 euros

Yeah, I’ve had to stop myself from downloading that. I really want it, but it’s pointless right now when I’m only just getting into Labo.

Will definitely pick it up in the future though and hopefully combine it with the Toy-Con piano to make some awesome Switch tunes! :hehe: 

I assume there is a kit in there and it's not just a picture of an empty bag?  
The bag is the kit.

Ah, missed opportunity to delegate some labor.

"You want packaging?" You can create it yourself!"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I assume there is a kit in there and it's not just a picture of an empty bag? :D 

As if us Nintendo fans are going to pay £54.99 for an empty paper bag just because it says Nintendo on it.............. :blank:

Edited by nekunando
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just finished building the fishing rod. Not sure how long it too but I didn't find it awkward or had, a couple fiddly bits but nothing to make me annoyed. Though I imagine the piano is going to be a task to build.

Loved playing the fishing game too, kept turning the reel the wrong way at first and losing the fish but soon had it going. Now I just want to go deeper and catch better fish. I can see this as a good party game.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2018 at 1:07 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

I assume there is a kit in there and it's not just a picture of an empty bag? :D 

It might as well be an empty bag as I still haven't looked near it :hmm:

Built the house with my nephew, he loved it. I'm really impressed with the build quality and the software, very slick with a lot of personality.

On 30/04/2018 at 9:10 PM, nekunando said:

It might as well be an empty bag as I still haven't looked near it :hmm:

..and now it's gone!

I decided to take my Variety Kit back to Smyths while I was picking up Tropical Freeze and get a refund.

I'm not ruling out dipping into Labo in future but I think it just arrived at the wrong time for me!

• Thanks 1

had fun building this one. I think I like building them more than anything. Can’t wait to get a few people around as I feel they could be good party games. 

• Like 1

Man, I do love myself some Dunkey :D 

Side note: Labo arcade cabinet design coming when? Bundle it with Donkey Kong and Super Mario Bros. and I think you have a monster of a collector’s item.

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Weird 1

Nyko are going to be releasing this Labo kit.

nyko-retro-acrade-kit.jpg?quality=98&str

Be great for all those arcade games that have been released so far on the Switch. 

• Like 5