NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie

Nintendo Event - TONIGHT 10pm

As someone who was obsessed with K'Nex and Lego growing up...this is simply fantastic!!!! I can imagine kids loving this - there's something about creating your own toys that's pretty exciting!

Hopefully they can support this with some really good software.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay, that was a really cool promo video! I can picture this is probably the most awesome thing ever for my nephew :D. But probably not something I'm gonna buy :P.

Honestly its probably something kids will love but the more of this kind of stuff that appears the more it feels like Nintendo is drifting back towards the Wii style of gaming and that is something I really don't want.

• Like 2

Oh God, I’m gonna have to take out a Safestore subscription to store all this junk aren’t I?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It's a really cool idea but not something I'm interested in (my wallet is thankful).

When I was thinking earlier about what it could be I was hoping that it would be some sort of music creation thing so I'm really happy that there seems to be that aspect to it. It seems like a really cool idea and the fact it uses cardboard really appeals to me, really not sure how it all works yet but i'm pretty intrigued by the promo, seems like it'll be great for use in schools to try and teach kids about robotics and engineering.

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

Honestly its probably something kids will love but the more of this kind of stuff that appears the more it feels like Nintendo is drifting back towards the Wii style of gaming and that is something I really don't want.

Had a year of hardcore games, just had a direct with lots of core games.

We get one thing to build diversity.

Yeah they're definitely going back.

Come on.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

You can always find comfort in the fact that Gal Gun 2 will be releasing on Switch. That's not for kids. Enjoy :3

It actually looks pretty cool but not for me. I think it has potential to be a hit with the kids, I know my cousins will love this.

1 minute ago, ArtMediocre said:

You can always find comfort in the fact that Gal Gun 2 will be releasing on Switch. That's not for kids. Enjoy :3

Yeah, because that’s what I meant

• Haha 1

Yo! Namco!

panicprk.png

Port this to Switch with a Toy-Con holder that has two Joy-Cons bound together by string!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Well, Nintendo have manufactured things out of card before - Hanafuda Cards - plus they have had a fair few products which were either toys or full instruments - Nintendo Eleconga - and they've been in the videogame market for a while now.

I see this as them utilising many of their previous strengths along with the technology within the Switch and making something which kids can enjoy while also showing off the console as much more than just a gaming machine.

It's an interesting approach, I can understand enthusiasm and scepticism towards it on both sides but ultimately even though it's possibly not something I'll invest in myself I can't deny that fun will be had with it which can only be a good thing.

Though it does lead to more interesting questions about just what can be done with the Joy-Cons in the future for other games as well. :D

Surprising, and somewhat cool, but I can't see the long-lasting appeal of this. With plenty of games in the months around it, I'll pass on it.

Edit: Probably.

Edited by Sméagol

155137.gif?b64lines=IERJRCBZT1UgU0VFIFRI

Register your interest for UK event: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Labo/Nintendo-Labo-1328637.html (you need to take a kid)

Variety Kit

With the Variety Kit, you can create many different Toy-Con, including Toy-Con RC Car, Toy-Con Fishing Rod, Toy-Con House, Toy-Con Motorbike and Toy-Con Piano.

• Toy-Con RC Car: Insert the Left and Right Joy-Con into your newly built RC Car and control its movement using touch screen controls on the Nintendo Switch. The HD rumble feature in the Joy-Con controllers will cause vibrations that move the car in the direction you choose. Materials to construct two RC Cars are included.
  • Toy-Con Fishing Rod: Construct the Fishing Rod with an active, rotating reel that is attached by string to a cradle holding the Nintendo Switch console. Catch one of many exotic fish shown swimming on the Nintendo Switch screen by casting your Fishing Rod and unwinding the reel to lower the hook. Once you feel a vibration from the Joy-Con inserted in the reel, you must crank the reel quickly and tug the Fishing Rod upwards to try and complete the catch.
  • Toy-Con House: By inserting various assembled blocks into openings in the sides and bottom of the House, you can interact, feed and play games with a cute creature on the front-facing Nintendo Switch screen. Each differently shaped block is detected by the IR Motion Camera on the Right Joy-Con inserted on top of the House.
  • Toy-Con Motorbike: Insert each Joy-Con into an assembled set of handlebars to drive a motorbike on the Nintendo Switch screen. Pressing the ignition button starts the engine, twisting the right handle activates the throttle, and leaning your body or turning the handlebars left and right controls the motorbike.
  • Toy-Con Piano: After assembling a beautifully crafted 13-key piano and inserting the Nintendo Switch console and Joy-Con, you can create your own music by pressing different keys. You can even insert different assembled knobs to create new sound effects and tones.

Robot Kit

• Toy-Con Robot: Create a wearable robot suit, and insert the Left and Right Joy-Con into the designated slots on the backpack and visor to assume control of the robot, which is shown on the TV when the Nintendo Switch console is docked. Enjoy a variety of fun game-play experiences, including Robot mode, where you can destroy in-game buildings and UFOs.

http://n-europe.com/news/nintendo-announces-nintendo-labo-allowing-you-to-create-your-own-games-and-toys

Fun fact! The press kit was a zip file, containing a zip file...containing a zip file...containing the assets.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Well, Nintendo have manufactured things out of card before - Hanafuda Cards - plus they have had a fair few products which were either toys or full instruments - Nintendo Eleconga - and they've been in the videogame market for a while now.

I see this as them utilising many of their previous strengths along with the technology within the Switch and making something which kids can enjoy while also showing off the console as much more than just a gaming machine.

It's an interesting approach, I can understand enthusiasm and scepticism towards it on both sides but ultimately even though it's possibly not something I'll invest in myself I can't deny that fun will be had with it which can only be a good thing.

Though it does lead to more interesting questions about just what can be done with the Joy-Cons in the future for other games as well. :D

Yeah, this is Nintendo clearly leaning on their legacy as toy makers here.  But not just that, it’s also a way for them to revisit abandoned game prototypes (like Project Giant Robot and that Wii Motorbike patent that they never ended up using until now) and give them a new purpose!

It’s also such an important push for the kids demographic; which have largely stopped getting into video games at all (outside of Minecraft... which is... well... basically a construction toy set!).  Not only does it have potential to expand what the Switch can do with traditional games (come on Panic Park!! I’ve wanted a home port for so long!!), but it has very real potential to get the kiddies back into buying video game hardware again!

Nintendo (and the industry as a whole) can’t afford to just focus on their established, adult audience; we’re gonna die off eventually! They need to keep bringing in new fans that’ll go on to sustain them in the distant future; and this is exactly the kind of thing that can pull it off!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is pretty amazing. And reminds why I love Nintendo so much. It’s expensive, I’m not sure families would buy a switch just for this, but I think it’s incredible. And someone with a small child, it will be amazing doing all this with him. 

Sign in to follow this