NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Glen-i

Kirby Star Allies

I picked this up on a whim and played it a bit with a friend last night and he's not into gaming but enjoyed it (it's why I suggested this particular game). Played some single player today and yeah it's not as good, but it's still just a charming delightful title full of joy and kissing.

After enjoying @Hero-of-Time review, and telling him so but that it convinced me this game is probably not for me (not the biggest Kirby fan going) I suddenly thought just how much I'd enjoyed Super Lucky's Tale on Xbox because of many of the points Hero made...

Really very tempted to pick this up now as another game I can play through quickish and still get alot out of it!

17 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

After enjoying @Hero-of-Time review, and telling him so but that it convinced me this game is probably not for me (not the biggest Kirby fan going) I suddenly thought just how much I'd enjoyed Super Lucky's Tale on Xbox because of many of the points Hero made...

Really very tempted to pick this up now as another game I can play through quickish and still get alot out of it!

It's a shame your little one isn't a few years older. It would be a great introductory game as it's low stakes.

1 minute ago, Ashley said:

It's a shame your little one isn't a few years older. It would be a great introductory game as it's low stakes.

Yeah I thought that when playing the demo. I know @dazzybee has been enjoying the repetition of playing it over and over and over and over and over again with his little one :p

• Haha 2

Kirby has a had cracking start in the UK charts.

Kirby Star Allies was released last week and it seems like the game is off to a good start, sales-wise. It debuted at #2 in the UK sales charts, which makes it the fastest-selling Kirby game in UK history. Previously, the two fastest-selling Kirby games were Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot on the 3DS.

• Like 1

Helps that this is the first Kirby game for a console that isn't being released in its respective console's twilight years!

7 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Helps that this is the first Kirby game for a console that isn't being released in its respective console's twilight years!

Maybe that's the real reason why I didn't think was an amazing Kirby game. Playing it so early on in a consoles life has messed with my head and enjoyment.  :D 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Kirby has a had cracking start in the UK charts.

No copies left in my local GAME, sell out! (To be fair they only got 4 copies of Bayonetta 2 in at launch...)

2 hours ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

No copies left in my local GAME, sell out! (To be fair they only got 4 copies of Bayonetta 2 in at launch...)

It's seems like there was low stock in a lot of places. Amazon had to cancel preorders and Shopto put a limit of 1 copy per customer. 

Ha I thought it was just me! I went into GAME on Saturday to pick it up and it wasn't on the shelf, just the 'coming soon' box art. So I thought they just hadn't got round to putting the proper cases out.

When I went and spoke to the guy he said they had just had enough to fulfil preorders. He was a bit rude actually, for seemingly no reason, but that's another tale haha. 

In the end I managed to get it from Grainger Games.  

13 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

He was a bit rude actually, for seemingly no reason

He'd spent all day dealing with disappointed Kirby fans.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It sold 220,000 in it's first week in Japan too! It seems to be selling crazy well, apparently it's the best debut for a Kirby game for over 10 years (Super Star Ultra on DS shifted 260,000 in its first week).

• Like 1

Two trailers showing off Rick, Coo and Kine (One character, much to my surprise) and Marx were released.

I like what they did with Marx, seems very faithful to his appearance in Super Star. Also looks pretty OP, which is always fun.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

Am I the only person who really hates the friend ability in this game? I just want to play this as Kirby, as a single player experience and not have the cpu play the game for me. Is it alright to just go through the levels without anyone else or do they become necessary to proceed later on? (I don't mind missing out on all the challenge rooms)

6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Am I the only person who really hates the friend ability in this game? I just want to play this as Kirby, as a single player experience and not have the cpu play the game for me. Is it alright to just go through the levels without anyone else or do they become necessary to proceed later on? (I don't mind missing out on all the challenge rooms)

I've not got through much but there's the odd door that needs an indicated amount of people but other than that I don't think so? Not that I can recall anyway. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I'm of a similar opinion when it comes to single player. Thankfully, you can play through pretty much the entire game without CPU helpers.

If you ever need CPU's to progress, there's always a respawning enemy for you to friend. As soon as they do what you need them to do, you can just hold Y near them and "unfriend" (Actual in-game term) them. You're then free to carry on.

The only thing playing solo stops you from doing is mixing copy abilities.

• Thanks 2

Thanks all. I spent about five minutes with three cpu friends walking behind me before I was starting to regret my purchase. Definitely playing without any from now on, it was just way too chaotic.

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Thanks all. I spent about five minutes with three cpu friends walking behind me before I was starting to regret my purchase. Definitely playing without any from now on, it was just way too chaotic.

Let's hope a psychiatrist never sees this post 😋

Hope you enjoy it more though. 

• Haha 4

So did anyone actually beat The Ultimate Choice?

And I mean "Properly" beat it, Soul Melter difficulty, No CPU friends, no amiibos and without cheesing it with Marx or the other Dream Friends?

Because I didn't...
It's really bloody hard!

It's like, my 10th attempt and I only just got to the last (Not entirely sure it is the last) boss and got battered. Stuff to avoid, everywhere!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 2

izcOK4m.gif

100% on a Kirby game makes me one hardcore gamer!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Next update is now out. It adds Dark Meta Knight, Daroach and best forgotten Kirby character, Adeleine.

I played through Guest Star with Adeleine just now (49 minutes, 9.14 seconds, my second best time) and bloody hell, she hits like a truck. All that time being ignored has made her into one proper murderous girl.

On the other hand she gets insane knockback and damage when she gets hit. Effectively making her a glass cannon.

Gonna try out Dark Meta Knight now.

EDIT: Oh, BTW. That Kirby 64 medley that plays during Adeleine's final boss fight? Sublime.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Weird 1

My word, that looks gorgeous!

The soundtrack in this game is proper tops, so it's all a winner.

Sign in to follow this