Tim B

Mario Tennis Aces

29 minutes ago, bob said:

One of them best be Rick!

Wait, who am I?

You're bob.

• Haha 1

I had to get rid of this game. 

I had put well over 80 hours into it and was constantly playing online. Think i got up to like 4th in England in the rankings for the ‘simple’ class. 

But it was taking over my life and making me angry haha. I’d always end up being drawn against players who were really good and it was virtually impossible to beat them. 

So i traded it in. I haven’t missed it, but seeing the three new characters makes me wish I still had it so I could try Pauline out! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm loving the major new update that this game just received. I'm not so much into Doubles matches yet, I tried a couple but it's very, very different and not so great being paired up with a random person online. I like playing as both Petey Piranha and Shy Guy, which is nice as I haven't enjoyed playing as any of the other new characters. It makes SO much difference being able to play on different themed courts online, I like the new shorter tournaments and new ranking system. A great update, but it's all stuff that could've and should've been in the game since the start.

• Like 1

I like how the online co-op mode can be played with traditional controls now. 

Had a few goes on it yesterday and unlocked Blue Yoshi. 

Teaming up with randoms can be interesting though... as always. :hehe: In one of the games a player decided not to serve the ball when their turn came around, so it was just 30 seconds of the rest of us taunting them until the inevitable disconnection. :laughing: 

Anyway, it’s nice to see this game getting more updates.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Would anyone be interested in playing Tennis until I own my copy of Smash Bros? I would love to play doubles with N.Europe inhabitants.

Would anyone be interested in playing Tennis until I own my copy of Smash Bros? I would love to play doubles with N.Europe inhabitants.
I think your comment may be falling on deaf, Smash-playing, ears...
  • Weird 1

Another day, another one of my Switch games is done and dusted.

Spoiler

Duhz88iU0AABvyC?format=jpg&name=medium

Duh0ELrUwAA4Vlm?format=jpg&name=medium

It's crazy just how short the campaign is in this game. It baffles me how there is so little content when the Wii U Mario Tennis game was criticized for the same thing. You would have thought they would have listened but clearly they didn't. Just what the hell were Camelot doing all of this time?

To show how short and rushed it is I point you to the Savage Sea area of the game. I had just done a boss fight to unlock that area. I then had 1 challenge to do and then I I had another boss fight to unlock the next area. Crazy.

The series really has fallen from grace. You think back to the N64 game and how the tennis matches were about skill and you take a look at this and you realise just how cheap and ridiculous it's become. This is very evident in the doubles match near the end of the game. The AI, both opponents and partner, are constantly using trick shots, zone shots, speeding around the place and slowing down time. It's just stupid. The fundamentals of tennis are completely disregarded and thrown out the window when stuff like this happens.

It wasn't all bad. I did enjoy the boss fights and some of the challenges that the game had you do. It's just a shame that the tennis matches were full of gimmicks. Not that there were many of them.

This could have been a return to form if the tennis was able to do the talking and the campaign fleshed out. What we've got here is some kind of weird middle ground between a single player game and a game that wants to be a GaaS title. The fact that players are unlocked as and when Nintendo decide is something that really annoys me. This is why I hate the GaaS model. Just let me unlocking the characters and extras by doing single player stuff. Don't drip feed me such things just in order to keep me coming back to the game.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1

On 16/12/2018 at 9:38 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

Another day, another one of my Switch games is done and dusted.

Ending Screens (Reveal hidden contents)

Duhz88iU0AABvyC?format=jpg&name=medium

Duh0ELrUwAA4Vlm?format=jpg&name=medium

You think back to the N64 game and how the tennis matches were about skill and you take a look at this and you realise just how cheap and ridiculous it's become. 

I completely agree. 

I know i put over 80 hours into it, but that was all either online in ‘simple’ mode - which does annoy me, as it is not simple at all. This mode is where the real skill is at in my opinion. Not some crap cheap gimmick of breaking someone’s racket in order to win a rally or backflipping across the court to an unrealistic position to win a point. 

I played a lot against the AI on the hardest difficulty and found some fun with that too in free play mode. 

But re the ‘fall from grace’ - i echo your thoughts. I never actually finished the single player as i had no desire to return to it. 

Anyway, would i buy it again for more online play? Yes, yes i would. :heh:

• Like 1

An update for the game is being prepped for this week and Boom Boom will be getting added in February.

The new update will add a Court Selection screen in Free Play and Swing Mode, a Hosted Match mode, characters changes, and more. Continue on below for the full patch notes.

• Changes to Menu
    • Added Court Selection screen to Free Play and Swing Mode. If you go to Change Rules and choose Select every time under Court, the Court Selection screen will appear after the character-selection screen.
      • You will still be able to choose All, Stadium Only, or Custom.
    • The character-selection screen for Online Tournament, Standard Class, and Simple Class will start with the cursor on the character you used the previous time.
    • Changed the menu flow after Online Tournament match is done.
  • System Changes
    • Changed amount of Energy increase from pulling off a successful block when Doubles Partner is using Zone Speed to half the amount of a successful block without the use of Zone Speed.
      • Using Zone Speed in Singles and pulling off a successful block or Trick Shot will not restore Energy, but it will restore Energy when your partner uses it in Doubles.
    • Slightly increased the length of the period that time is frozen after blocking opponent’s Special Shot in Doubles.
    • Added Shot Button + X Button to Powerful Shot controls. Press the A Button and X Button at the same time for a topspin Powerful Shot, press the B Button and X Button at the same time for a slice Powerful Shot, and press the Y Button and X Button for a flat Powerful Shot.
  • Co-op Challenge Boo Hunt Returns
    • This Co-op Challenge will be available again from the distribution of Ver. 2.2.0 until 9:00 AM on March 1st, 2019. Co-op Challenge is a mode for online play which will only be held for a certain period of time.
      • Nintendo Switch Online membership is required to play Co-op Challenge.
    • Boo Hunt is a Challenge played in Swing Mode where a four-player team is formed among friends or players encountered at that time online to achieve an objective together. (If each player has a controller, up to four players can play on one Nintendo Switch.)
      • You can acquire three different-colored Boo visors by achieving objectives.
    • If there aren’t four total players, the necessary number of COM players will be added after a certain amount of time has passed.
  • Added Hosted Matches
    • Added the Hosted Match mode which allows players to easily compete against each other in singles matches through LAN Play or Online Play.
    • Besides the two players in the match, an additional player will participate as the host and control match settings as well as which screen to show on the monitor.
    • Three Nintendo Switch systems are required for a Hosted Match—one for each of the two players and one for the host.
      • A LAN cable (sold separately) is required for LAN Play.
      • Nintendo Switch Online membership is required to play an online Hosted Match. Players must also be registered as a friend on the host’s Nintendo Switch system.
    • Access the Hosted Match mode from the main menu by pressing in the Right Stick while holding down the L Button and R Button at the same time. The host will select Host and make a room, while the players will select Player and join the room created by the host.
      • A LAN cable (sold separately) is required for LAN Play.
      • All participants must decide the date and time, rules of play, and game progression amongst themselves before the actual match.
    • After all three participants are ready, the host will control various settings and game progress.
    • The host’s screen will be split left and right, showing both P1 and P2 play. (Players’ screens will not be split.) Pressing directional buttons during the match will change the host’s screen: Up Button for split screen, Left Button for P1 screen, and Right Button for P2 screen.
    • The characters that are available to play depend on the respective game progress (save data) on each system.
    • All courts will be available to play regardless of respective game progress on each system.
    • The host controls whether the first to serve will be random, P1, or P2.
    • The host controls whether the character-select screen of each player is visible to the other.
    • The host can select whether the menu can only be controlled by the host, or whether players can control it too.
  • Changes to Character Abilities
    • The abilities of certain characters have been changed.
      Character Name Change
      Mario
      • Slightly increased the distance he can hit a ball without leaping.
      • Slightly increased his ability to aim for the edges of the sideline.
      • Increased his cutback speed.
      Birdo
      • Slightly increased the power of her shot.
      • Slightly increased the power of her volley shot.
      • Slightly increased the top speed at which she moves and her pace of acceleration.
      • Made it a little harder to slip when moving.
      Diddy Kong
      • Slightly increased the power of his shot.
      • Slightly increased the top speed at which he moves.
      Chain-Chomp
      • Adjusted position in which he’s able to return balls so that there are fewer swings and misses.
      • Decreased length of time between getting in position and leaping during a Leap Shot.
      Spike
      Rosalina
      • Slightly increased the distance she can hit a ball without leaping.
      Bowser Jr.
      • Slightly increased the velocity of his volley.
      Koopa Paratroopa
      • Increased his pace of acceleration.
      Luigi
      • Slightly increased his pace of acceleration.
      Toad
      • Slightly increased the power of his slice returns.
      • Slightly increased the length of the period that time is frozen after leaping for a ball.
      Yoshi
      • Slightly decreased velocity of his topspin and slice shots.
      Shy Guy
      • Slightly decreased the power of his shot and volley shot.
      Toadette
      • Slightly decreased her pace of acceleration.
      Bowser
      • Slightly increased the length of the period that time is frozen after leaping for a ball.
      Boo
      • Slightly decreased his ability to aim for the edges of the sideline.
      • Slightly decreased the velocity of his slice shot.
      Blooper
      • Slightly increased freeze time after leaping for a ball.
      • Slightly decreased his ability to aim for the edges of the sideline.
      • Slightly decreased the velocity of his slice shot.
  • Other Changes
    • Online Tournament: Made adjustments to the amount that ratings will increase. Also increased the amount that ratings will increase when points are earned from breaking your opponent’s racket.
    • Made adjustments to visibility of the ball in Bask Ruins, Piranha Plant Forest, Mirage Mansion, Snowfall Mountain, and Savage Sea.
    • Improved AI for COM players.
    • Decreased amount of time that controls are locked while saving the game.
    • Adjusted Koopa Paratroopa’s flying animation.
    • Changed the angle of Rosalina’s hair before she serves when playing left-handed setting.
    • Adjusted height that the ball bounces after hitting a drop shot in The Great Mirror Mystery mission and Adventure mission.
    • Other adjustments have been made to improve gameplay.
    • After you download the latest update, you won’t be able to do Local Play or LAN Play with someone who is using previous update data.

• Like 1

I want to know what nutter is pressing B and X at the same time.. :blank:
This guy?aa8039a3026652e5defcf30f4bd0359b.jpg

Pauline’s special shot actually plays a bit of Jump Up, Super Star! :grin: Gonna be spamming that like there’s no tomorrow then. :laughing: 

• Haha 2

There’s a free demo on eShop at the moment. Along with a free 7 day Online trial. 

• Like 1

A new update has dropped. Here are the notes.

• Added Shy Guy Train Tussle to Swing Mode
    • Shy Guy Train Tussle, which is played with one Nintendo Switch system, has been added as a Special Game in Swing Mode.
    • This game can be played cooperatively or competitively. Up to four players (including a COM player) can play.
  • Additional Settings
    • Added a Select Each Time option to Doubles Partners when playing the Doubles Only match type in Free Play and Swing Mode.
    • Made it so you can select the same character as your opponent when your doubles partner has been decided even before character selection.
  • New Characters Added
    • If you play at least one match of the June Online Tournament, you’ll be able to use the new character Fire Piranha Plant. Fire Piranha Plant is a Technical-type character type whose Trick Shots will all generate topspin.
    • Fire Piranha Plant will become available to use as of 9:00 AM on July 1st, 2019, even if you haven’t played one match of the June Online Tournament.
    • If you play at least one match of the July tournament, you’ll be able to use the new character Dry Bowser. Dry Bowser is a special Defensive-type character type whose racket will not get damaged even if he fails to block his opponent’s Zone Shot. Unlike regular Bowser, the blue-flame-breathing Dry Bowser is good at hitting slice shots and can hit an especially powerful backhand.
    • Failure to block a Special Shot will result in racket damage.
    • Dry Bowser will become available to use as of 9:00 AM on August 1st, 2019, even if you haven’t played one match of the July Online Tournament.
    • Nintendo Switch Online membership is required to play the Online Tournament.
  • Additional New Costumes
    • If you play a match in the June Online Tournament and collect the necessary bonus points, you’ll be able to use Bowser wearing tennis attire.
    • Only people who earn the necessary amount of points in June will acquire the Bowser in tennis attire.
    • This Bowser has the same abilities as the regular Bowser.
    • Bonus points will be reset the following month.
    • Nintendo Switch Online membership is required to play the Online Tournament.
    • Only people who earn the necessary amount of bonus points in July and August, respectively, will acquire Wario and Waluigi in classic overalls and Koopa Troopas and Koopa Paratroopas of different colors. After that, different costumes from past bonus points will become available again every month.
  • Co-op Challenge Boo Hunt Returns
    • This Co-op Challenge will be available again from the distribution of Ver. 3.1.0 until 9:00 AM on July 1st, 2019. Co-op Challenge is a mode for online play which will only be held for a certain period of time.
    • A Nintendo Switch Online membership is required to play Co-op Challenge.
    • Boo Hunt is a Co-op Challenge played in Swing Mode where you’ll work with other players to get back coins stolen by Boos.A four-player team of friends or players from online is formed, and your goal is to complete the objective together. (If each player has a controller, up to four players can play on one Nintendo Switch system.)
    • If there aren’t four total players, the necessary number of COM players will be added after a certain amount of time has passed.
    • Co-op Challenges Boo Hunter, Shy Guy Train Tussle, and Yoshi’s Ring Shot will rotate monthly starting from June 2019.
  • Other Changes
    • Online Tournament: Slightly decreased the amount of time that the bonus points addition screen is displayed. Also made it so that player can press the A button to skip ahead when they have acquired all costumes through bonus points. (Players cannot skip ahead if they formed a team on two Nintendo Switch consoles.)
    • Snowfall Mountain: Changed it so that the Shy Guy passengers who appear when hazards are turned on will no longer sometimes return shots that are Max Charge Shots.
    • Chain Chomp: Changed its voice when it taunts.

I did end up buying this again... Lol. 

150 hours play time in... haha. I've managed to be A+ ranked in 'simple' online tournaments the last two months. 

I have to give them props for the updates and support this game has had. Each additional character has really been fun to play with, and there's such a difference between each one. 

I actually like the depth it gives the game when you come across a character you haven't played against for a while online - and you have to work out a different way to win. It's easily one of my favourite ever tennis games and Switch games overall. 

• Haha 1

Number 2 in the world rankings for December. Going for number 1!! 

(I still play this too much...) 

• Like 5