NEurope
Tim B

Mario Tennis Aces

5 hours ago, RedShell said:

So I finished the "adventure" mode, and man... even with low expectations it was a serious let-down. :( It's not just the lack of content that's the problem either, it's also lacking the polish you'd usually expect from a high-profile Nintendo game. There were times when it almost felt like I was playing a knock-off Mario Tennis, :o that's how lacklustre some of this stuff is!
I mean, basic world map design, incredibly bland UI, boring missions that are either way too easy or ridiculously difficult... I could go on and on. :hmm:

It screams of wasted potential. :nono: Quite how it's possible to have access to the entire Super Mario IP yet create something which is severely lacking in variety and more importantly, completely soulless, I'll never know. ::shrug: Actually, I think I do know, and it's probably that the staff at Camelot have simply become sick of making these games, so instead of it being a fun project to work on that receives due love and attention, it's just a chore that they want to get out of the way as fast as possible. Well, that's what the end product feels like this time around, at least as far as the adventure mode is concerned. 

Although having said that, it's not like other aspects of the game aren't showing similar signs of neglect. Stuff like those recycled renders on the character select screen and court banners are also not a good look, and an indication that they either couldn't be arsed to create original content, or weren't given the opportunity/time to do so.

Anyway, here's hoping this game is set to receive free DLC updates in the future (and not just additional characters) otherwise I reckon it's going to leave a lot of people very weary of the series going forward. :blank:

Have to agree with you fully there. I'm playing through it and I want to like it but there's just that something missing. It could have been so much better. I feel like you just play a game of tennis with a super easy CPU then play a puzzle, then beat a boss. Which are OK but they are just hit the ball back, get a zone shot and hit the glowy point. And then to top it all off, you don't even get a cut scene when you collect the stone, just Toad saying "yeah we got another one". Some of the courts in there do have fun gimmicks and I hope we can play them in online matches but none have come up.

Online with friends is where this game is at though, we just need a patch to select full games (or at the least full sets) I'll take a 6 game per set, best of 3 sets match right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Haven't played this for a few days and just booted it up now. Couldn't find anyone to play a match with online. Either people are not playing anymore or there's something going wrong. 

Been searching for 25 minutes! 

Think my time with the game is close to done. Really disappointed in it. Might trade it in tomorrow along with a few other bits and see what I can pick up instead. 

So I finally started Adventure Mode. It's OK so far. Haven't run into any roadblocks that a lot of people seem to be talking about yet.

Well, actually, that's not completely true...

As far as I can tell, I think the ball hit the propeller on the mast right after I activated the Special Shot, so I never hit it because it gets whacked away before I swing.
This caused the game to become very confused and wait for me to hit a ball that I can no longer hit because it's on Blooper's side of the court and he's also waiting for me to hit it.

I couldn't pause the game to quit out of the stage, so I had to close the software. Very weird, and a little funny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I played a few online games yesterday with some randoms, mostly to just get my hands on Koopa.  I'm hoping this game gets a number of patches and extra content added, many are not happy (same as myself) with the one match format the online has. 

Is anyone actually able to play a 'simple' match online? At launch weekend I had player after player when in a room and for the last week I can't match anyone. Nothing happens even with leaving the switch searching for 10 mins plus.

If I try standard (which I'd rather gauge my eyes out with the joy-con than play) I match instantly. 

Whats going on. There can't be no one playing simple when there was so many originally. 

53 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

Is anyone actually able to play a 'simple' match online? At launch weekend I had player after player when in a room and for the last week I can't match anyone. Nothing happens even with leaving the switch searching for 10 mins plus.

If I try standard (which I'd rather gauge my eyes out with the joy-con than play) I match instantly. 

Whats going on. There can't be no one playing simple when there was so many originally. 

I managed to play good number of simple games yesterday (Tuesday) online. Didn’t have too much trouble though I did get matched with a few people that just decided to back out before the match and then got matched with them again. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

There definitely seems to be less players in Simple Mode, but it’s been that way since the game launched as far as I can tell.

12 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

I managed to play good number of simple games yesterday (Tuesday) online. Didn’t have too much trouble though I did get matched with a few people that just decided to back out before the match and then got matched with them again. 

Yep, I’ve been playing simple games exclusively since the start of the July tournament, and that matchmaking issue (if you can call it an issue) is the only thing that’s happened to me occasionally as well.

• Thanks 1

A patch is arriving on Friday, including a much needed Bowser Jr. nerf! :yay: Good to see them responding relatively quickly to some of the balancing problems this game clearly has. Gives me a bit more hope for its future now.

There's a big update for the game that is dropping tomorrow. The changes are only in Japanese at the moment, hence the hilarious Google translation from ERA. :D 

• Change on game balance
  • We increased the minimum consumption of energy when using Ajiriki Serve from 25% to 30%.
    • The energy required to activate it has not changed from 33%.
  • We shortened the distance blown away when we called the shot with the effect of blowing away the other party to the back of the court, such as Max Charge Shot.
    • Top spin and lob are sliced, slices are top spin, flat is flat so you can reduce the effect of being blown away.
  • We adjusted the rebounding of the ball when hitting the central pillar in the coat of the oare sea.

Change in character performance
  • Changed the performance of some characters.
    Character name Changes
    • Kinopio
    • I stretched the distance that I could hit without jumping, slightly.
    • I shortened the rigidity time after hanging on.
    • I increased the height of the bouncing ball.
    • I increased the speed to reach the maximum speed of movement slightly.
    • Kinopico
    • I stretched the distance that I could hit without jumping, slightly.
    • I shortened the rigidity time after hanging on.
    • I increased the height of the bouncing ball.
    • I made the volley ball speed slightly faster.
    • Wario
    • I extended the distance that I could hit without jumping.
    • I upgraded the skill that aims at the side line a little.
    • I made the volley ball speed a bit faster.
    • Kupa Jr.
    • I shorter the distance that I can hit back with the lateral technical shot.
    • I shortened the distance that I could hit back without interruption.
    • I narrowed the distance that I could hit and hit a bit.
    • I reduced the height of the ball to hit a bit.
    • I have downgraded my ability to pursue the side line.
    • I slowed down the ball speed of the counterattack.
    • I slowed down the speed to reach the maximum speed of movement slightly.
    • Waluigi
    • I shorter the distance that I can hit back with the lateral technical shot.
    • I shortened the distance that I could hit back without interruption.
    • I narrowed the distance that I could hit and hit a bit.
    • I turned down the ability to aim at the side line.
    • I slowed the maximum speed of the movement a little.
    • I slowed the volley ball speed slightly.
    • Bow-wow
    • I slightly shortened the distance to hit back with the lateral technical shot.
    • I sharply shortened the distance that I could hit and hit.
    • Bowser
    • I slightly shortened the distance to hit back with the lateral technical shot.
    • Rosetta
    • Theresa
    • Nokonoko
    • While we were in the couler, we adjusted the hit determination as a body shot to the look.
    Add setting
  • 【OPTION】 "R Stick only" can now be selected as a technical shot operation.
    • Joy-Con When using a technical shot with horizontal holding, it is operated by pressing twice on the direction button (or Y button) regardless of option setting.
  • 【FREE MATCH】 The coat "stadium only" can now be selected under the search condition of "someone plays with someone" in Internet communication.
  • 【Free Match】 【Swing】 "Tottoko" (6 game 1 set match) added.

Change on story mode
  • I made it possible to retry at the mission failure without returning to the world map.
  • During the mission challenge, I made it possible to retry from the pose menu.
  • 【How to play】 We relaxed judgment of tutorial block.
  • 【Forest driving range】 We adjusted the charge amount of the opponent's charge shot.
  • 【Destroyed】 Adjusted the charge amount of the opponent's charge shot and the probability of using the target.
  • 【Out of the oare sea】 Adjusted the charge amount of the opponent's charge shot and the probability of using the target.

Change concerning swing mode
  • 【Larry Challenge】 In the swing mode Rally Challenge, we made sure that smash points do not appear.
  • I changed the still picture of how to hold Joy-Con to a movie of how to play.

Other changes
  • Fixed an issue where the "TOO EARLY" indication was displayed to evaluate the timing of the block even when the shot button was not pushed when the ball of the aim and the special shot was hit back with the technical shot.
    • Even during the technical shot, you can block balls of aims and special shots by pressing the shot button at the appropriate timing.
  • Fixed an issue where ordinary blocks became easier to succeed until after hitting a great success technical shot in the one-point rally, and then hitting a technical shot other than the great success.
    • If you strike a technical shot at the best timing, it will be "a great success" and the energy gauge will recover greatly.
    • This problem does not occur in the block during acceleration or technical shot.
  • Fixed an issue where the energy gauge was displayed in yellow instead of red when the energy was slightly less than 1/3.
  • In the online tournament, the problem that the character icon entered in the block on the right side of the tournament table was reversed left and right was fixed.
  • Fixed a problem that was sometimes stopped when the communication status was extremely bad in local communication battle and Internet communication battle.
  • Fixed text notation problem.

Regarding online tournament rating
  • If I lost the game, the rating ceased to rise.
    • If you win the game the rating will not go down and if you lose the match the rating will not rise. The rating varies depending on the game result, but the amount of change varies depending on the rating difference with the opponent and the content of the game. (The amount of change may be 0.)
  • When the software was forcibly terminated during the game, the number of losing times increased and the rating became 0.5% lower.
    • When intentional disconnection is seen many, it may not be published in the ranking.
  • From August 2018, ranking display function in "ranking" order was added to ranking board.
    • Along with this, ratings are not displayed on the ranking board of cumulative points. Regarding your own July rating, please check "grades" displayed on the left of the tournament table.
  • At the time of monthly change, the rating at the start will change according to the play result of the previous month. (It will be reflected from the monthly change from July to August.)
    • Rating 2000 or less → 2000 started
    • Rating 2000 - 2500 - Maintain rating
    • Rating 2500 or more → 1/10 of the value exceeding 2500 plus 2500 

* If you have not played in the previous month or if invalid data is found, it will be reset to 2000.

Crazy amount of changes/updates but i'm still not ready to jump in.

• Thanks 1

I think this is the big main addition out of all that...

【Free Match】 【Swing】 "Tottoko" (6 game 1 set match) added.

This is what people were asking for on launch day, right?

Just now, S.C.G said:

I think this is the big main addition out of all that...

【Free Match】 【Swing】 "Tottoko" (6 game 1 set match) added.

This is what people were asking for on launch day, right?

Yup. It's a big reason why I never bought the game.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yup. It's a big reason why I never bought the game.

Yeah, so this is good that Nintendo seem to finally be listening to feedback on this game. :D

Will you be picking up the game following this update or at a later date when/if game releases quieten down? :)

I picked up the game, didn't have time for it, thought about playing it and then realised that there were a lot of things wrong with it.

It's good to know that the game should be greatly improved by the time I decide to play it... :grin:

...equally though, a sequel could be out by the time I get around to it. :blush:

I was just messing.

Nah. I doubt I'll pick it up, unless it gets a heavy discount. I don't really care for the multiplayer and with the single player mode being so weak I can't see me buying it. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I was just messing.

Nah. I doubt I'll pick it up, unless it gets a heavy discount. I don't really care for the multiplayer and with the single player mode being so weak I can't see me buying it. 

Ah right, fair enough. :peace:

Strangely enough, I mostly got this for the multiplayer but only wanted to bother with it if I could play the game how I wanted without odd match restrictions. :D

I think it might have been better for me to have just repurchased Mario Tennis on the N64 though... I wish I'd never sold that. :blush:

I've got it on the Wii or Wii U VC though but it just isn't quite the same as playing it on the N64... but it's good enough I suppose. :grin:

Come to think of it... Mario Power Tennis on the GC was pretty good too, I think it's just from the Wii era onward that I haven't really bothered with Mario Tennis much.

English patch notes have now been released.

• Game Balance Updates
    • We have increased the minimum energy level used for a Zone Shot serve from 25% to 30%. 33% energy is still needed in order to trigger the shot.
    • We have shortened the distance a character is pushed back when returning a shot that pushes the opponent to the back of the court, such as a Max Charge Shot.
      • The player can reduce the impact of being pushed back by returning a Topspin and Lob with a Slice, a Slice with a Topspin, and a Flat with a Flat.
    • We have adjusted the way the ball bounces back when hitting the center mast on the Savage Sea court.
  • Additional Settings
    • Options: Players can now switch the controls of Trick Shots to use only the Right Stick.
      • When holding the Joy-Con sideways, you can complete a Trick Shot by pressing up on the directional buttons (or the Y button) twice, regardless of the settings.
    • Free Play: You can now choose Stadium Only when entering search conditions when searching for players online via Invite Anyone.
    • We have added Full (6-game, 1-set match) to Free Play and Swing Mode.
  • Changes to Adventure Mode
    • It is now possible to retry a mission without returning to the world map after failing.
    • You can now retry a mission while from the pause menu without quitting the mission.
    • How to Play: It is now easier to hit a Block during the tutorial.
    • Forest Practice Court: We have adjusted the charge amount of the opponent’s Charge Shot.
    • Detour: We have adjusted the charge amount of the opponent’s Charge Shot and likelihood of using a Zone Shot.
    • Savage Sea: We have adjusted the charge amount of the opponent’s Charge Shot and likelihood of using a Zone Shot.
  • Changes to Swing Mode
    • Rally Challenge: The Smash Point will not appear during Rally Challenge in Swing Mode.
    • The image showing how to hold the Joy-Con is now a video demonstrating how to hold it.
  • Fixes to Online Tournament Ratings
    • Your rating will no longer go up when you lose a match.
      • When you win a match, your rating will not go down, and when you lose a match, your rating will not go up. Your rating will change based on the result of the match, but the amount it changes will be based on your opponent’s rating and on the content of the match. (The change may also be zero.)
    • If the software is forcibly closed during a match, your number of losses will increase, and your rating will go down by 0.5%.
      • If multiple intentional disconnections are detected, they may not be reflected in your ranking.
    • Starting with the August 2018 tournament, the ability to sort by rating will be added to the ranking board.
      • Along with this, the ranking board for total accumulated points will no longer display rating. You will be able to check your own rating for the month of July by looking at Results on the left-hand side of the tournament display.
    • At the start of each new month, your starting rating will change based on results from play the previous month. (This will be reflected as of the change from July to August.)
      • Rating of 2,000 or less – starts at 2,000
      • Rating between 2,000 and 2,500 – rating stays the same
      • Rating above 2,500 – 1/10th of the amount over 2,500 will be added to 2,500 to determine the rating
      • Note: If you did not play the previous month, or if any irregular data is discovered, your rating will be reset to 2,000.
  • Changes to Character Abilities
    • The abilities of certain characters have been changed. Click here for details
      Character Name Change
      Toad Slightly increased the distance at which he can return the ball without lunging.
      Shortened the amount of time he is stationary after lunging at a ball.
      Increased the height he can return a ball.
      Slightly increased the speed at which Toad can reach his highest movement speed.
      Toadette Slightly increased the distance at which she can return the ball without lunging.
      Shortened the amount of time she is stationary after lunging at a ball.
      Increased the height she can return a ball.
      Slightly increased the speed of her volley shot.
      Wario Increased the distance at which he can return the ball without lunging.
      Slightly increased his ability to aim for the edges of the sideline.
      Slightly increased the speed of his volley shot.
      Bowser, Jr. Slightly shortened the distance he can return a ball using a sideways Trick Shot.
      Slightly decreased the distance at which he can return the ball without lunging.
      Slightly shortened the distance he can lunge to hit a ball.
      Slightly decreased the height of balls he can return.
      Decreased his ability to aim for the edges of the sideline.
      Slowed down the speed of balls he returns.
      Slightly decreased the speed at which he can reach his highest movement speed.
      Waluigi Slightly shortened the distance he can return a ball using a sideways Trick Shot.
      Slightly decreased the distance at which he can return the ball without lunging.
      Slightly shortened the distance he can lunge to hit a ball.
      Decreased his ability to aim for the edges of the sideline.
      Slightly decreased the top speed at which he moves.
      Slightly decreased the speed of his volley shot.
      Chain Chomp Slightly shortened the distance he can return a ball using a sideways Trick Shot.
      Greatly shortened distance he can lunge to hit a ball.
      Bowser Slightly shortened the distance he can return a ball using a sideways Trick Shot.
      Rosalina Slightly decreased the height of balls she can hit back.
      Boo Slightly decreased the height of balls he can hit back.
      Koopa Troopa Adjusted the accuracy of Body Shot when he is in his shell so that it matches what is seen on the screen.
  • Other Changes
    • Fixed an issue where the “Too Early” block timing indicator would appear when you are not pressing a shot button, while using a Trick Shot to return a ball from a Zone Shot or another Special Shot.
      • It is possible to block the ball from a Zone Shot or another Special Shot by pressing the shot button with good timing, even when while using a Trick Shot.
    • Fixed an issue where it became easy to succeed at a normal block during a 1-point rally in the period between a perfectly timed Trick Shot and the next shot that was not a perfectly timed Trick Shot.
      • Your energy gauge will refill greatly when you hit a Trick Shot with the best timing possible.
      • This issue will not occur during Zone Speed or blocks performed during Trick Shots.
    • Fixed an issue where the energy gauge would show as yellow instead of red when your remaining energy is between 1/3rd and very little.
    • Fixed an issue in online tournaments where the character icon was horizontally inverted as it entered the tournament display block on the right side.
    • Fixed an issue where the game would stop when connectivity was especially poor during local wireless or Internet matches.
    • Fixed various issues related to the display of text.

• Thanks 1

Played through the new area in the "adventure" mode yesterday. Didn't take very long to get through (and the reward for doing so was craptacular) but yeah, better that nowt I guess. :hmm: Hopefully they keep adding to it, although I'm not going to hold my breath.

The new online co-op mode is kind of disappointing too, and playable with swing mode controls only for some bizarre reason. ::shrug:

2 hours ago, RedShell said:

The new online co-op mode is kind of disappointing too, and playable with swing mode controls only for some bizarre reason. ::shrug:

That's disappointing to hear. The mode looked pretty cool but I had no idea it was motion controls only.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

That's disappointing to hear. The mode looked pretty cool but I had no idea it was motion controls only.

I actually like that we now have more or a reason to play with motion controls so, while I haven't tried it yet, I'm excited to try it after having beat the extra trials in Adventure mode this afternoon :hehe: