NEurope
Tim B

Mario Tennis Aces

Very happy with what was shown, even the crazy gameplay mode needs some actual skill. Good job!

Edited by Nintendo Fan

Mario Golf and Tennis were both brilliant on N64 and have gone backwards ever since. All they need is to update these with HD and online and you've got 2 classics.

I guess Strikers struggled because of Fifa and PES, whereas there aren't many tennis and golf games.

I'm currently watching the Nintendo Direct again with Easy Allies reactions and looking at everything in a lot more detail.. and this game looks GREAT :yay:

The game looks great indeed, but for some reason I am not a big fan of Mario Sports titles except for Kart (and Golf but never played that one). So I will probably skip this one, since at the moment I am already quite busy with Nintendo multiplayer games anyway.

The gameplay depth looks insane! These new mechanics basically turn it into a fighting game! :laughing:

Looks to be pretty much everything I was hoping it would be! (though it does look like the Story Mode is more like a series of challenges and mini games, rather than an RPG mode - which is fine, even if it wasn't quite what I was hoping for).

It actually reminds me of Mario Strikers. That was far from a realistic football game mainly because the mechanics made it more like a fighting game, just as @Dcubed mentions in regards to Aces.

I’m looking forward to it, it looks an extremely lot less barebones than Ultra Smash was.

2 hours ago, markderoos said:

It actually reminds me of Mario Strikers. That was far from a realistic football game mainly because the mechanics made it more like a fighting game, just as @Dcubed mentions in regards to Aces.

I’m looking forward to it, it looks an extremely lot less barebones than Ultra Smash was.

The items in Mario Strikers Charged Football definitely added to the strategy and chaos of each match (Man.. I love that game :love: ) and I suspect the new abilities in Mario Tennis Aces may offer similar depth here providing, as I mentioned before, that they get the balance right :smile:

I'm definitely not going to dismiss them outright and actually may appreciate the chaos of this as I may get my realistic tennis fix from World Tour Tennis in May!

2 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

This is up for preorder on the Nintendo store, Preorder bonus of either Mario or Luigi visor.

£50. Decided to put mine in there as I like Nintendo stuff I most likely never use but look cool. 

I'm already locked in at just shy of £40 elsewhere but don't feel like it's worth paying extra for a visor I'm unlikely to ever use.. though I do quite like them :grin:

This game continues to look great to me, gives off a nice Strikers Charged vibe.

Definitely buying it!

Looking a lot better than the Wii U Mario Tennis game. I may actually get this one.

I don't know if I will buy it, but I will definitely give the pre-release tournament a go. 1-2-3 June, apparently including unlockable characters during the tournament and an unlockable outfit for the main game.

• Like 2

So fucking hype for this game!!! I need it NOW!!

This will be the anti-Breath of the Wild for me! It's pretty much everything I've always wanted in Mario Tennis! :D 

Edited by Dcubed

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

This adventure mode sold me on the game

Looks fun :yay:

Weirdly, this has been the game I've been most looking forward to in 2018 so far!

• Thanks 1

I don't think I'll be going out tomorrow evening.

After some fun Splatoon games, let's join up for the Mario Tennis Acces Demo? I don't even know if it's possible to join up in the demo, but there's a big chance I'm online tomorrow evening anyway.

I suggest 20:00 UK.

I'll be very surprised if you're able to play a friendly match with people on your friends list.

But if you can, I am so up for that!

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I'll be very surprised if you're able to play a friendly match with people on your friends list.

But if you can, I am so up for that!

Same here. But yeah, count me in too if it’s possible.

I've had a quick go of the demo and there doesn't seem to be an option to play with friends.

Im not a fan of the trick shot. The whole thing feels a bit cheap, with people able to fly across one end of the court to the other with just a flick of the stick. 

Ive got the Mario outfit unlocked now so I doubt I'll bother with the demo anymore.

This is pretty great, have won a couple of tournaments so far and unlocked all the characters.

Some things are annoying me though...

l keep triggering and then instantly hitting zone shots accidentally. A few times this has been advantageous (I mean if I wasn’t expecting it, my opponent sure as hell wasn’t! :heh:) but more often than not the lack of aiming means the ball either goes out or straight into the net.

I’m also missing the old-school button combo way of doing drop shots and lobs, don’t like having to hold up/down on the stick and then pressing X. :hmm:

The little power-up taunt you do when receiving seems really laggy in this, as does the ball toss.

Other than those issues though, I think this is looking to be the best Mario Tennis in a long time. :) 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, RedShell said:

This is pretty great, have won a couple of tournaments so far and unlocked all the characters.

Some things are annoying me though...

l keep triggering and then instantly hitting zone shots accidentally. A few times this has been advantageous (I mean if I wasn’t expecting it, my opponent sure as hell wasn’t! :heh:) but more often than not the lack of aiming means the ball either goes out or straight into the net.

I’m also missing the old-school button combo way of doing drop shots and lobs, don’t like having to hold up/down on the stick and then pressing X. :hmm:

The little power-up taunt you do when receiving seems really laggy in this, as does the ball toss.

Other than those issues though, I think this is looking to be the best Mario Tennis in a long time. :) 

You can do the lob by pressing A then B.

I've won my second tournament and just unlocked Chain Chomp. Spike is an utter Beast though.

EDIT: Scratch that, Chain Chomp has redonkulus reach!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 2