NEurope
Tim B

Mario Tennis Aces

Please be good. :D

If the story mode is up to scratch, and they don’t mess up with online features then this could be a right classic. :) Fingers crossed.

Well that’s aces indeed! Can’t believe that the madmen are attempting a story mode in a HD Mario Tennis game...

... No really, I don’t believe it.  I don’t expect it to be anywhere near the full fledged RPG Tennis experience that the GBC and GBA games were (It’ll probably be more akin to a Mario Party style “story mode”).  Still, the fact that they actually look like they’re trying brings joy to my hear!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Mega hyped for this. Although I still see these stupid power shots. Let them go already. 

Or please allow us to turn them off at least! 

Just now, Aneres11 said:

Mega hyped for this. Although I still see these stupid power shots. Let them go already. 

Or please allow us to turn them off at least! 

They’ve allowed you to turn off Chance Shots ever since Ultra Smash (which is blatantly a beta version of this game here on Switch).

Either way, they had better fix the physics.  Ultra Smash’s (And by extension, Mario Sports Superstar Tennis’s) core gameplay is utterly terrible (lobs are literally 100% useless!).

10 minutes ago, markderoos said:

Weird that we get another Mario Tennis while Strikers skipped both Wii U and 3DS.

Hey @Dcubed, would I be right in thinking the Strikers games didn't do nearly as well as Golf or Tennis?

Like the initial look of this haven’t played a Mario Tennis game in ages. 

45 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Hey @Dcubed, would I be right in thinking the Strikers games didn't do nearly as well as Golf or Tennis?

Speaking of Mario Golf, why haven’t we had a new one of those yet?

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

That would make sense, also knowing the lack of popularity of the sport in NA. Too bad...

I’ll add it to the list of great Nintendo (sports) titles that we’ll probably won’t see anytime soon; F-Zero, 1080, Wave Race, Excite Truck, Pilot Wings and now Strikers.

Ultra smash was painful to play, it better ignore that ever existed. My main issue was the players would fly across the  court, imoossible to hit winners. It’s was utterly disastrous. Eternal rallies just pressing a button. No flying players. If a player is passed then don’t get them to be able to hit it. The footage looks promising in this regard but you never know...

5 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I actually don’t know TBH! I have no idea what MSC sold on Wii, but it probably did pretty well, considering that it was included in the Nintendo Selects range and came out pretty early in the Wii’s life.

@BowserBasher Speaking of Mario Golf, why haven’t we had a new one of those yet?

I’d wager that’s coming next...

Edited by Dcubed

I'm just going to think of Scott Bakula every time I see this game name.

tumblr_ndg6da34gy1u0shzto4_250.gif

11 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I actually don’t know TBH! I have no idea what MSC sold on Wii, but it probably did pretty well, considering that it was included in the Nintendo Selects range and came out pretty early in the Wii’s life.

It was also the first online multiplayer game for Wii iirc. It gave the game some extra buzz and most likely some extra sales.

What can I say? That box looks... well... Ace! (Also strongly reminds me of MK8dx, with its rainbow colours)

Looking at those new screenshots... Do I see the return (ace) of Power Shots? (Look at the meter in the top left corner).  I think I do!

Hopefully the power shots being there is a sign that they've heavily re-worked the physics from Ultra Smash, which had some utterly ludicrous recovery shots you could do (lobs were literally completely useless in that game, since you could always catch up to the ball and return it before it bounced twice!).  After all, Power Shots are there to serve (hah!) that purpose anyway!

Looks fantastic! Can't wait to see the new footage and details in tonight's ND! (Praying that the story mode turns out to be the full fat RPG experience we've all been pining for!)

Edited by Dcubed

Nice box art, I actually think Nintendo have put up some poor stuff in that regard recently, after the highs of the Wii/Wii U. Odyssey and MK8DX ones are pretty messy/ugly IMO. They look way too messy on the Switch home screen.

As for this game, if the story mode looks good I'll buy, if it seems pretty barebones I likely won't.

Proper looking forward to this and think they've managed to right mix of zaniness and being a regular tennis game!

3 hours ago, flameboy said:

Proper looking forward to this and think they've managed to right mix of zaniness and being a regular tennis game!

I'm just happy to see that there is a normal mode in it. I was very worried when they started to show off all the crazy moves and power shots, so there was a big sigh of relief when they gave a glimpse of the standard mode.

• Like 1

Gameplay wise this looks good but I have to say visually it looked really rough and in some places quite ugly.

I was glad to see an option to play standard tennis but I'm perfectly fine with all of the special moves if the balance is right :smile:

If anything feels unfair, it'll ruin yet another iteration of the franchise!

Online is key for me, though, as local multiplayer is all but dead and we need to be able to have some epic matches with the N-Europe crew!

8 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Online is key for me, though, as local multiplayer is all but dead and we need to be able to have some epic matches with the N-Europe crew!

From what they showed on the Direct it does look promising. We just need to hope that joining friends matches is easy and there is some kind of lobby/invite system.

Really looking forward to this. The fundamental gameplay looks really solid and quite possibly the best I've seen Mario Tennis look since Mario Tennis on the N64. Can't wait.

Looking forward to this too. Will be great to play some standard tennis as well as mixing it up with some craziness when wanted. 

Now where’s Mario Golf?