NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Glen-i

Dark Souls Remastered

Just announced via the Nintendo Direct Mini.

Comes out May 15th apparently.

So yeah, obligatory "Switch finally gits gud" joke or whatever.

Edited by Glen-i

Never played this (Dark Souls II was my first souls game) so I’ll be keeping an eye on it for sure. This game will be so at home on Switch though, such a great fit for quick pick up and play die action. :hehe:

I have this on Steam, but never finished it, and the PC port isn't fantastic. Getting this.

Edit: though hopefully plenty of other people will get it as well and / or the online functionality is cross platform. Hate to see it going to waste. Would love to play some hide and seek.

Edited by Sméagol

I had it for Xbox 360, but I got the RROD, briefly replaced my Xbox but then decided to jump ship to Playstation with everyone else and never got Dark Souls again to complete it (heard the PC port was dog shit too), so for me this is brilliant

I played through it on PS3 last year after hearing good things about the series and after the initial frustration, I loved it and have since played through Demon's Souls and Dark Souls II. I'm mostly buying it in the hope that if it does well they'll bring 2 & 3 to Switch (I've been holding off playing 3 in the hopes I can just play it on Switch) but I'll be interesting to see how many hours it takes me to complete now I've got some experience under my belt, expecting it to be a hell of a lot less than the 120 hours it took on PS3.

Current rumors are saying that there are plans to bring across 2 and 3 to the Switch as well. 

I’m probably going to end up getting this on PS4 and Switch. I played but never got terribly far into the game on PC. I do recall killing the asylum demon with the starting equipment, it’s funny how skill level grows in these games. 

• Like 1

I'm definitely getting this on Switch.

Bloodborne was 30 FPS right? If so I should be able to cope with the Switch version.

43 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

I'm definitely getting this on Switch.

Bloodborne was 30 FPS right? If so I should be able to cope with the Switch version.

Yeah, I think all the console Souls games have been 30 FPS apart from Dark Souls II on PS4 (and maybe Xbox One) because it's essentially a last gen game running on current gen hardware. I ran into a few performance issues with the first Dark Souls on PS3 so hopefully it's a steady 30 FPS now that they've tinkered with it a bit, I don't think it severely hindered my progress at all but there were definitely a few instances of slow down during particularly busy fights.

Like Wolfenstein this was playable at PAX and there are plenty of videos floating around online. The snobs on ERA were ragging on it but as someone who played it on PS3 I think it looks noticeably better than that version and the target resolution is higher to boot. Still remains to be seen how it handles choppier areas like Blightown but I never found it to be unplayable on PS3 so I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into Lordran again.

• Thanks 1

The Switch version has been delayed, 6 weeks before release, and Bandai Namco have just given the vague window of Summer 2018 for the new launch date. All other versions will still come out on May 25th. 

I think this is Nintendo pushing the release to August. May looks to be really busy with releases from both Nintendo and others but July and August are a lot less busy. An August release is my bet.

I imagine this is gonna hurt the Switch release in the long run. 

2 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I think this is Nintendo pushing the release to August. May looks to be really busy with releases from both Nintendo and others but July and August are a lot less busy. An August release is my bet.

I can't see this being Nintendo's decision, especially for that reason. Why would they want what is their biggest third party releases of the year to be released after every other version? Doing this would leave a bad impression and hands sales to their competitors. Multiplatform owners  looking to buy the game at launch had a choice between better graphics and framerate or portability. The choice has now been made for them.

• Like 1

May is busy I believe. I believe there are quite a few indie games getting physical releases in May, that plus Donkey Kong. Oh and the Capcom compilations.. That said, in Summer or Autumn (or Winter?) it may get competition from bigger hitters like Fire Emblem, Octopath Traveler, Valkyria Chronicles and Smash Bros.

Slightly disappointing though. Was looking forward to getting this day 1. Playing it again, and finishing it for the first time last month hasn't diminished my anticipation whatsoever, it may have even increased it. I am even considering getting a capture card and do a let's play of it. That does mean I can postpone a 180 euro purchase.

Well that sucks balls.  The clouds are gonna be out when Namco want Nintendo fans to praise the sun thanks to this...

The only thing I can think is that there is a problem with the game card manufacturing, the game seemed to be in a pretty complete state at PAX, it wasn't a gated demo as people seemed to be able to go wherever they liked after they reached the Firelink Shrine. It sucks to have another third party game launch late on the system and especially one that I was really looking forward to playing through again.

There might also be issues with production of the Solaire amiibo as Bamco are probably pretty keen for it to launch alongside the game. I agree with HoT, I think it's really going to hurt the Switch version as a lot of people will just buy the PS4 or PC remaster to play with their friends and not miss the boat.

I’m stupid and will probably buy it twice.....er, second and third times. But obviously first purchase will be PS4. Switch will come much later if and when I’m feeling like playing out of home.

Had it hit the Switch at the same time the choice would be a bit harder. 

Not much harder though. I’d like to support that version plus the portability is nice. And Sony isn’t possibly to lose the next installement if the remaster doesn’t do well. 

Rumours apparently point to the Solaire amiibo and the game coming out on August 31st, I'm hoping it isn't any later than that. I've definitely been craving Dark Souls on Switch for a while now so can't wait to get my teeth into it, if it does come out on August 31st then its only 10 days after the Shenmue 1&2 remasters, as if August/September/October weren't stacked already.

Yeah can't wait. But I really hope the game sells well, and there's a big enough online community as a result. The game wouldn't be the same without invasions and co-opping.

Gah, finally we get a release date! Huge sigh of disappointment when I saw it won't be out until October, but so pleased to finally have confirmation of when it's coming. The radio silence and the constant rumours since it was delayed have been infuriating, such is my desire to play through this in handheld mode.

Not too long to wait, especially with the number of other games I still need to get through but if September and October weren't packed enough already now I have to try and fit playing this around playing Red Dead just a week later.

content-4-35585-darksoulsremasteredbanne

Release date news now up on site, thanks to @Vileplume2000 for putting the article up so promptly. :D

Also thanks to @Sméagol for the heads-up. :peace:

So, who's getting the game when it comes out? I have it pre-ordered on the Nintendo Store. (gotta get that metal plate) ;)

I also ended up pre-ordered the Solaire of Astora amiibo on the Bandai Namco Store.

They sent me an e-mail about it this afternoon which I thought I'd share the contents of...

"Hello,  You have ordered the DARK SOULS - SOLAIRE OF ASTORA AMIIBO and we thank you for that! 

Due to the new release date communicated for Dark Souls Remastered for Switch, the delivery of the Dark Souls Amiibo will be pushed to October 19th.

Despite the delay, we promise we will do our best for you to be one of the first to receive the product as soon as it is available!

Best Regards, 

The BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINEMENT Store Team"

(I just thought that opening line was particularly brilliant and worth sharing.)

Only two months to go now then!

(praise the sun!)

:bowdown:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1

I've got it pre-ordered on the Nintendo store too, I'll probably get the amiibo too but waiting for it to go up on their site.

Sweet, good to finally see the launch date. Are we going to get an open beta/test first? I think I remember something like that.

It will be interesting to see if the Switch version gives the game some life. By all accounts this remaster pretty much bombed on the PS4 and One, so maybe this version will be able to be actually make a dent in the charts? I've got it preordered but whether I keep said preorder is another matter. It's being released at a crowded time of the year, so i'll see what i've got left to play before committing to buying it.

3 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Sweet, good to finally see the launch date. Are we going to get an open beta/test first? I think I remember something like that.

Yeah, Namco reiterated they will be doing a beta before launch.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this