NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dog-amoto

Nintendo Direct Mini

Mario Tennis looks good but it will love and die by the online modes and options for me as I’m not interested in story mode.

Really disappointing overall, kind of feels back to normal after the magic of 2017.

Dark Souls remake is cool as I’ve not played it but that’s an Xbox purchase for me.

Well, to be fair this seems like it's only part of the content they are going to bring to Switch during the spring. Nothing here reached out further than May.

Though the amount of remasters was disappointing to previous Wii U-owners, the Direct itself was really good with a nice rythm and speedy announcements.

I'll probably only dip into Fe of the lot.

3 hours ago, Serebii said:

This is a prime example of when rumours get way out of control and can be detrimental. If word of this hadn't leaked and it had just dropped, then we'd be happier.

Don’t agree. We don’t know whatbwe’ll Be playing first half of this year so was expecting some nice surprises. Whatbregail gsmes do we get? Bayonettas (ports), payday (port), Kirby (fine), donkey Kong (port), dark souls (port) TWEWY (port), Hyrule warriors (port) mario tennis (great). Feels incredibly underwhelming. For me. I’ll be buying tennis if it’s good, and maybe TWEWY. 

Maybe it’s a good selection of games. But not ignore you owner lol half of them on ds/wii u. There’s nothing there. There’s no big game for the first half of the year. 

So a huge disappointment. Throw in the fact we all thought we’d be playing virtual console games, never mind still not hearing about it; no updates to the os since launch, still no word on the onmine service....

It was pretty awful really.

Also, after al the buzz about 3rd parties and such. Even that offered pretty much nothing. Not saying they won’t come in the second half of the year. But i thinks it’s a piss poor first half. 

Nintendo have barely made anything for years. They’re now only developing for one platform. And the only new games they’re doing ste Kirby and tennis which will be staggeringly simple to develop relatively. 

I'll probably pick up DK as I never got round to it before, but had always hoped it would be a two pack. Oh well. 

Easy now, there will be more titles to play this first part of 2018. Not everything can or should be be crammed into a Direct (especially not one lasting 15 minutes). And while Dark Souls for instance is a port, it's a port of a game that never hit a Nintendo console before. TWEWY is a port and remaster of an old game. Yes, porting Wii U games is a bit cheap for Wii U-owners, especially when there is nothing added (DKCTF adds nothing at all - Funky Kong is easy mode) but there were also some new things, and Kirby releases way sooner than expected.

Yeah, they really missed a trick not packing in the first DK game. Don't have much of a wish to play through Tropical Freeze again. Other than that I thought the direct was pretty solid, will be picking up a lot of stuff. Though I do want to get Fire Emblem Warriors before I buy Hyrule Warriors again. Might wait til that's cheap. Was actually surprised there wasnt a 3DS game in sight, but it looks like we're getting one fairly big hit a month again for the Switch. Never played The World Ends With You but heard so many good things about it, so that's a must buy. I guess they are saving the big hitters until the end of ghe year so E3 should be massive. 

32 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

Don’t agree. We don’t know whatbwe’ll Be playing first half of this year so was expecting some nice surprises. Whatbregail gsmes do we get? Bayonettas (ports), payday (port), Kirby (fine), donkey Kong (port), dark souls (port) TWEWY (port), Hyrule warriors (port) mario tennis (great). Feels incredibly underwhelming. For me. I’ll be buying tennis if it’s good, and maybe TWEWY. 

Maybe it’s a good selection of games. But not ignore you owner lol half of them on ds/wii u. There’s nothing there. There’s no big game for the first half of the year. 

So a huge disappointment. Throw in the fact we all thought we’d be playing virtual console games, never mind still not hearing about it; no updates to the os since launch, still no word on the onmine service....

Do note that the Switch has outsold the Wii U and many Switch owners will not have played these games.

WHERE'S MY CHIBI ROBO YOU MOTHERFUCKERS.

<ahem>

I liked the Direct, though I would have liked a Mario Maker Switch surprise announcement. And well, Chibi Robo.

The World Ends With You: Final Remix (2018) - Probably not getting this. I have the original, and to me it seems this is not a game you should play on anything else but a DS. Extra content however.. Hmm.
Pokkén Tournement DX Battlepack dlc (wave 1 31-01-2018; wave 2 23-03-2018) - Looks nice if you're into the game, which I'm not really. But if I were, I would have liked more than 2 extra characters. But since I hear nobody talk about this game, I guess two is already more than can be expected.
Dragonquest Builders demo - I'll comment in it's own thread once I've played the demo.
Kirby Star Allies (16-03-2018) - For someone who likes Kirby, I own surprisingly few Kirby games. I wish they'd give Kirby the tripple A treatment for once (i.e. like Mario), but I'm getting this.
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (Spring 2018) - Musou, I'll pass.
Mario Tennis Aces (Spring 2018) - I've never been big on (Mario) Tennis games (I would have preferred a new Mario football game announcement), but could be a fun addition to my multiplayer library. Especially if it has motion controls, which wasn't mentioned.
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Summer 2018) - Maybe. I've never played an Ys game, but could be interesting, especially after Xenoblade. I'd need to see more.
Super Mario Odyssey update (February 2018) - That's genius.
SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy (Summer 2018) - Eh, why the hell not. I only play the women anyway. :D
ACA NEOGEO Art of Fighting 2 - Once I have a fighting stick, I'll get a couple of these ACA NEOGEO titles, but not this one.
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Spring 2018) dlc - They went with the obvious choice. Looking forward to it!
Payday 2 (23-02-2018) - Never had any interest in this.
Fe (16-02-2018) - Most likely getting this.
Celeste (25-01-2018) - Probably not getting this.
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (04-05-2018) - Missed out on this, and with all the praise it's getting here on NE, I'm definitely getting this.
Dark Souls Remastered (25-05-2018) - The most exciting thing for me in this Direct. Getting this. Hope we'll get the other two as well, as haven't played the sequels before.

• Haha 3

Bit surprised at the negativity. Seemed a lot of content for the next few months.  Bit gutted I traded in Mario as the balloon game looks like a riot. But it's all about Mario Tennis. I want N64 gameplay, GBA career mode and online with friends (Yes I'm looking at you EA) and life will be good.

32 minutes ago, Serebii said:

Do note that the Switch has outsold the Wii U and many Switch owners will not have played these games.

I completely get that. I don’t begrudge them alongside new games. But this attitude also sticks two fingers to the big Nintendo fans who even bought the disastrous wii u 🤣

Just now, dazzybee said:

I completely get that. I don’t begrudge them alongside new games. But this attitude also sticks two fingers to the big Nintendo fans who even bought the disastrous wii u 🤣

This was just a Direct Mini, we had a great year last year and we only have up to May and even then not everything.

Patience

21 minutes ago, Clownferret said:

Bit surprised at the negativity. Seemed a lot of content for the next few months.  Bit gutted I traded in Mario as the balloon game looks like a riot. But it's all about Mario Tennis. I want N64 gameplay, GBA career mode and online with friends (Yes I'm looking at you EA) and life will be good.

Because it’s 90% old stuff ported over. Why is there for me who owns most of this stuff? I just thought there’d be more. 

But yes on tennis. I’m cautious, but could be amazing. It isn’t going to be 64. But as long as it plays a great game of tennis then I’ll be delighted. 

Just now, Serebii said:

This was just a Direct Mini, we had a great year last year and we only have up to May and even then not everything.

Patience

JBS said the same, thinking there’ll be another direct with more stuff soon. Can’t see it. Hope so though, it needs it. This looks mega bare bones to me. But this up to May (and TWEWY is this year so May miss it) is pretty poor. Going to need a hell of a 2nd half to sell 20m units!!

I agree with @dazzybee that it’s currently not looking so great for the big Nintendo fans that supported Wii U. :hmm: Really did hope there would be more in the way of brand new stuff hitting Switch soon.

And while I picked up MK8DX and would almost certainly get a potential Smash 4 or Super Mario Maker port, there’s no other Wii U titles that I’d want to buy/play again on Switch.

So yeah, with Kirby and the other stuff not really appealing to me, that basically means it’s just Mario Tennis on the horizon at the moment, and based on recent titles in the series that could unfortunately go tits up too. :heh: 

But like I said before, it’s great stuff for newcomers and I’m sure these Wii U rereleases will sell very well on Switch. Of course that also means less incentive for Nintendo to get original titles out there in a hurry, so I guess patience is in order once again.

Edited by RedShell
  • Like 1

There aren't many games left for Nintendo to remaster so I think and hope they are hard at work making new ones.

I'll probably spend more time with indie games this first half of the year but that's fine with me. Xenoblade 2 is still on for me for weeks to come.

16 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

JBS said the same, thinking there’ll be another direct with more stuff soon. Can’t see it.

Yeah, I’m pretty much convinced that there’ll be another Direct, if typical 25-50 minute length, in the next 1 - 6 weeks (i.e. by the start of March). 

A quick look at the Wikipedia page for Nintendo Directs tells us that Direct Minis are typically followed up by a typical Direct in 1-4 weeks, but focusing mainly on Direct Minis followed up by a Direct which aren’t both exclusive to Japan narrows it down to only three separate occasions where there’s a range of 8-37 days following the Mini before a Direct.

I’m fairly confident in this: we have games which we’ve known about for over a year, such as Fire Emblem and Project Octopath Traveller, which remain without a release date, and whilst it’s of course possible that they’re H2 (or worse yet: delayed), I think that such announcements belong in a Direct, and might have been delayed to one accordingly.

Honestly, I just hope we hear about Virtual Console sooner rather than later. If they take too long, I’m going to get a bit nervous about how they might be attaching classic games exclusively to the purchase, and use of, the Switch’s online service.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dazzybee said:

Complains about ports, begs for Virtual Console games which are basically ports :p

Theres already a huge Switch library. Its full of fresh content. I'm not surprised of the Wii U ports. I welcome them and appreciated the PS3 ports when I bought a PS4.

A great direct in my eyes. This is not everything releasing in the next six months.

The Switch's first year hasn't even finished!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MindFreak said:

There aren't many games left for Nintendo to remaster so I think and hope they are hard at work making new ones.

Yeah, happy when we get there :)

So, what Wii U games are left that could get a port?

Mario Maker, Captain Toad, W101, Smash, Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Xenoblade Chronicles X have a good chance I think.

I don’t think New Super Mario Bros U/New Super Luigi U, Nintendo Land, Star Fox, Yoshi, Kirby or Animal Crossing Party. And Mario Tennis is a definite no now.

Wii Ports and Fit maybe? And that’s it I think as far as original Wii U first party games.

Edit: I forgot a few; Game & Wario, Mario Party 10, both Mario Olympics games, Dr. Luigi, Mario vs Donkey Kong, Amiibo Challenge, NES Remix, Paper Mario, Pushmo and Wii Party U.

Edited by markderoos

9 minutes ago, markderoos said:

Yeah, happy when we get there :)

So, what Wii U games are left that could get a port?

Mario Maker, Captain Toad, W101, Smash, Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Xenoblade Chronicles X have a good chance I think.

I don’t think New Super Mario Bros U/New Super Luigi U, Nintendo Land, Star Fox, Yoshi, Kirby or Animal Crossing Party. And Mario Tennis is a definite no now.

Wii Ports and Fit maybe? And that’s it I think as far as original Wii U first party games.

Star Fox with and ordinary control scheme would perhaps be a possibility.

3 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Star Fox with and ordinary control scheme would perhaps be a possibility.

Yeah, that could happen.

Forgot about Star Fox. That’s actually another game I’d consider buying a Switch port of, seeing as I never did get around to playing it on Wii U. So yeah, that brings the total number of rereleases I’d be interested in to 3. :hehe: 

I'd be keen to see a Star Fox Zero re release as well, I actually enjoyed the game on Wii U but didn't get a chance to go for all the medals etc, so I'd like to have a proper bash at it!

Sign in to follow this