NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Fitness, Weight Loss & Strength 2018

Finally found an equivalent for Lo Salt/Lite Salt in Germany. It's still quite expensive at 4€ for 200g, but it's better than paying 10€+ for 350g via import. Electrolyte intake won't be a problem anymore.

12 hours ago, drahkon said:

Finally found an equivalent for Lo Salt/Lite Salt in Germany. It's still quite expensive at 4€ for 200g, but it's better than paying 10€+ for 350g via import. Electrolyte intake won't be a problem anymore.

getttt! :D  Losalt is my fave on keto.

Today I channeled my inner kickass and managed to hit a lifetime squat PR of 80kg.  I used to lift a lot a few years ago, but had a terrible time with tendinitis in my knee* and never managed to get past the 70kg mark.  And it went up fairly easily too. 

*Injury acquired on way home from NE meet 2008.. tripped on escalator, landed on my kneecap, straight into the edge of the sharp step, full body weight through it... how my kneecap didn't shatter into a million pieces ill never know... my knee doubled in size that evening though >____< 

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:18 AM, drahkon said:

Been to the gym for the first time in 5 months this morning. Feels good. Decided to make a slight chance to the Stronglift 5x5 program.

Will do 5x5 Deadlift, 5x5 Overhead Press and Biceps curls for one workout, the other one remains the same (Squats, Barbell Row, Bench Press). I started running recently and I think Squats for every workout would be too much stress for my legs.

I obviously have to start from scratch basically...5x5 Deadlift with 30kg (20 + 10) and Overhead Press just the bar (20kg) :D I feel weak. I may be able to use a little more weight for Squats, though.

Sounds good, but 5x5 is not my cup of tea at all. I guess it depends on what your body can handle, but Deadlifts will seriously tax you once you start pushing your limits. You may want to have working sets, e.g. 3 sets building up to 2 "heavy" sets. 5 sets of 5 reps at a heavy enough weight will wipe you out.

11 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Sounds good, but 5x5 is not my cup of tea at all. I guess it depends on what your body can handle, but Deadlifts will seriously tax you once you start pushing your limits. You may want to have working sets, e.g. 3 sets building up to 2 "heavy" sets. 5 sets of 5 reps at a heavy enough weight will wipe you out.

Agreed.. its a very very good beginners programme, and maybe has its use for intermediate level on a short term training schedule...  but once you get to the ceiling of your beginner gains it just becomes a grind and its incredibly taxing on your body squatting heavy weight for so many reps so often.  Towards the end of my SL life I was walking around like a zombie completely physically taxed... and I also did a 4th day every week of heavy cleans.. 

I pretty much owe SL for developing my squats, but it definitely runs its course.  

Interestingly I've started "wave" training with my coach... today we did squats, and cleans.   5-3-1 for 50,60,70, then 5-3-1 again with 60,70,80

2 minutes ago, Raining_again said:

Agreed.. its a very very good beginners programme, and maybe has its use for intermediate level on a short term training schedule...  but once you get to the ceiling of your beginner gains it just becomes a grind and its incredibly taxing on your body squatting heavy weight for so many reps so often.  Towards the end of my SL life I was walking around like a zombie completely physically taxed... and I also did a 4th day every week of heavy cleans.. 

I pretty much owe SL for developing my squats, but it definitely runs its course.  

Interestingly I've started "wave" training with my coach... today we did squats, and cleans.   5-3-1 for 50,60,70, then 5-3-1 again with 60,70,80

Yeah, I agree. I stuck with 5x5 for ages, but then I just modified it and was doing 3x5 for squats and 2x5 for heavy deadlift sets (or even 1x5 at times). 5x5 is great at building your strength and will help you get the mechanics of the lifts nailed down. But, there is a time to move on from it. Even them, 5x5 for deadlifts at the same weight for each set is not something I'd actively recommend. You do have to leave some room for your other lifts.

I've gone back to a more traditional 3x10 with moderate-ish weight, focusing on working the muscles. Quite enjoying it. Although, for deadlifts, I've stuck with 5 reps as 10 reps for deadlifts just sounded like torture! 

I think the most reps I've done in one go on deads is 8, that's pretty taxing at any kind of working weight

The dude that invented SL, Mehdi, usually suggests 1x5 for deadlifts if I recall my time in the IC.

You really do not need to be doing higher than a set of 5 for Deadlifts, if you drop the reps and up the weight. I usually do a couple of lighter sets before doing 3 sets at my working weight.

• Like 1

A friend of mine (M.Sc. Exercise Science and Coaching) recommended what I started doing, so I'm going to stick with it for now.

But he also told me what you guys told me: eventually a time will come when I have to switch things up. :peace:

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Raining_again said:

Its a BRILLIANT beginners programme. You honestly couldn't find better. 

Yeah, I did the regular 5x5 last year until I got injured but I wanted to focus a bit more on my lower back this time. Especially since I suffer from the occasional back pains. After a week of training it feels like it's gotten better already. Might just be placebo effect, though :D

On 3/4/2018 at 10:11 AM, drahkon said:

Yeah, I did the regular 5x5 last year until I got injured but I wanted to focus a bit more on my lower back this time. Especially since I suffer from the occasional back pains. After a week of training it feels like it's gotten better already. Might just be placebo effect, though :D

Sometimes it really is as simple as getting the muscles activated again.  Good for you :)

• Thanks 1

On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:06 AM, drahkon said:

A friend of mine (M.Sc. Exercise Science and Coaching) recommended what I started doing, so I'm going to stick with it for now.

But he also told me what you guys told me: eventually a time will come when I have to switch things up. :peace:

Just to make it clear, I was mainly talking about 5x5 deadlifts. I think Stronglifts 5x5/Starting Strength is a great program to get you going and to get all of your compounds up. But, at the same time, I found 5x5 deadlifts to be just too difficult to do. Certainly not at the working/top weight. As Raining said earlier, Mehdi (guy who created the program) suggests only 1x5 deadlifts, going heavy of course. For me, I found that plenty. Occasionally, I'd throw in a second set. But, eventually you'll be pulling bigger weight and it just won't be sustainable for 5x5. Also...it can be a dangerous exercise if your form starts to suffer due to fatigue. 

• Thanks 1

Doing 5x5 squats (at what could be a mere 5kg from your 1rm) 3 x a week is soooo taxing on your body.  But even the inventor himself says its not really an intermediate or advanced programme, i do believe a lot of people advance onto a 5-3-1 type program after.   

I just loved it.  my strength gains were crazy, i ate food constantly, and i frightened the crap out of the daft gym rats..... never had there been a chick in the squat rack before let alone one using the big plates ;-)

Yeah, I'll see how it goes with the 5x5 Deadlifts. I'm increasing the weight every time by 2.5kg instead of the 5kg that are recommended in the Stronglift program so it'll be slower and safer.

lEUd33u.png

Quick question: What do the abbreviations mean (1RM, PRs)?

The weight is only for plates. The app requires you to put in weights and reps yourself and I forgot to add the 20kg for the barbell :D It's quicker to calculate which plates to use for the next workout, though. But I guess, depending on what exactly the abbreviations mean, I should include the 20kg?

Edited by drahkon

22 hours ago, drahkon said:

Quick question: What do the abbreviations mean (1RM, PRs)?

The weight is only for plates. The app requires you to put in weights and reps yourself and I forgot to add the 20kg for the barbell :D It's quicker to calculate which plates to use for the next workout, though. But I guess, depending on what exactly the abbreviations mean, I should include the 20kg?

RM = Repetition Maximum - the max number of repetitions with a given weight. 1RM is the load that you can lift once. 2RM is twice, etc.

PR is Personal Record. Also called PB - personal best.

You always include the bar (20 kg). Anything else doesn't make sense - you measure the total weight that you lift.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MindFreak said:

You always include the bar (20 kg). Anything else doesn't make sense - you measure the total weight that you lift.

Yeah, makes sense. I excluded the bar weight because it's simpler to calculate which plates to use, but that's stupid :laughing:

3 hours ago, MindFreak said:

RM = Repetition Maximum - the max number of repetitions with a given weight. 1RM is the load that you can lift once. 2RM is twice, etc.

Am I understanding this correctly then: My app calculates the max weight I could lift 5 times? In the picture above it would be 17kg for Deadlifts (+20kg)?

12 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Am I understanding this correctly then: My app calculates the max weight I could lift 5 times? In the picture above it would be 17kg for Deadlifts (+20kg)?

Didn't see the picture before (my work computer blocks images from image hosting sites...). It seems a bit weird that you should only lift 6 kg but I really assume it's the total weight.

What does it calculate the weights from? What are your 1RM on shoulder press and deadlift?

From the site: https://stronglifts.com/5x5/#Starting_Weights

Your starting weights depend on your strength and experience. Download my spreadsheets and apps, they’ll calculate your starting weights for you. Here’s the basic idea…

• If you’ve done these exercises before, with proper form, then start with 50% of your max. So if you can Squat 5x100kg/220lb, start with 50kg/110lb. This will be easy but within two months you’ll be Squatting 110kg/245lb for 5×5 – more than you started with.
  • If you’ve never done these exercise or haven’t lifted in years, then start with the empty bar. You may look ridiculous for a while, but the weight will increase each workout. Within three months you’ll be Squatting 100kg/220lb for 5×5 – more than most people.

Deadlift and Barbell Row you don’t start with the empty bar. You can’t do these exercises with the bar in the air. Each rep must start from the floor. Start with 40kg/95lb on DL and 30kg/65lb on Row (bar weight included). Use full diameter plates so the bar starts at your mid-shin on each rep.

If the empty bar is too heavy to start with, then use a lighter bar. This is a common issue with females who have less upper-body strength. Use the 5kg/10lb bar or two light dumbbells. Add weight each workout. The program will get you stronger. Switch to the bar when you can lift 20kg/45lb.

If the starting weight is too light, you can fix that by using bigger increments for a couple of workouts. Instead of adding only 2.5kg/5lb, add 5kg/10lb or maybe even 10kg/20lb on SQ/DL. Switch back to the recommended increments once the weights becomes more challenging.

Understand you gain little by starting heavy since the weights increase fast anyway. What you lose is time spent working on proper form with lighter weights. This turns into a huge advantage when the weights get heavy. So be conservative with your starting weights.

So 17 kg. on deadlift seems very low to me. 

Edited by MindFreak

10 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Didn't see the picture before (my work computer blocks images from image hosting sites...). It seems a bit weird that you should only lift 6 kg but I really assume it's the total weight.

What does it calculate the weights from? What are your 1RM on shoulder press and deadlift?

No idea. The app is very vague on the RMs. That picture shows weights I lifted without the bar, so it's just the plates' weight.

I added the bar weight to the most recent workout and now it shows:

1RM 39 (I did 5x5 35kg Deadlifts).

The starting weights guide I don't want to use as I took a 6 months break so I basically started from scratch :D

Just now, drahkon said:

No idea. The app is very vague on the RMs. That picture shows weights I lifted without the bar, so it's just the plates' weight.

I added the bar weight to the most recent workout and now it shows:

1RM 39 (I did 5x5 35kg Deadlifts).

The starting weights guide I don't want to use as I took a 6 months break so I basically started from scratch :D

Ah, that made sense. So if you did 50 kg deadlift and only noted down the 30 kg, then it would of course tell you to start with 15-ish kg. And thus, your 1RM shoulder press was about 32 kg?

1 minute ago, MindFreak said:

And thus, your 1RM shoulder press was about 32 kg?

According to the app it's 28kg (did 25kg 5x5).

What exactly is the RM useful for? I think I'm being a little thick here. I don't understand its purpose. I'd never just do 1x5 28kg Shoulder Press, for example.

Edited by drahkon

11 minutes ago, drahkon said:

According to the app it's 28kg (did 25kg 5x5).

What exactly is the RM useful for? I think I'm being a little thick here. I don't understand its purpose. I'd never just do 1x5 28kg Shoulder Press, for example.

It's a measure of your strength. For instance, before beginning some programme like stronglift, you try to go all out and see what you can lift. Then do the programme for like 3 months and try to lift as heavy as you can again. It makes it easy to see the gains and should motivate you somewhat. It's also easier to compare to others (though that in itself doesn't make sense).

For other programmes and more advanced weightlifting, you should also try to increase the weights based on a percentage of your 1RM. You lift 1RM on day 1, in the following weeks you then progress by doing some sets at some percentage of that 1RM. 

In olympics, 1RM is all that counts.

• Thanks 1

Despite not having lifted anything in ages, I managed to do 7 reps of 75 kg front squat today. Also did 7 reps of 50 kg. push press the other day. Both were PBs at so many reps.

Furthermore, I try to run once a week. The past two weeks I did 4.4 km in 18-something minutes with a pace of 4:10 / km. Quite pleased with that. But don't understand it as I do considerately less exercise nowadays than I did a few years ago.

I nearly always achieve PB's when im not training excessively.  And I notice this more and more since I've got into my 30s.  

Sign in to follow this