NEurope
Nick81

Best game intro ever?

This was a recent hot topic on Teletext's GameCentral magazine, it got a good response so I thought it'd be interesting to ask here!

What is everyone's favourite game intro, and why? What intro sequence or title screen really sets the tone?

For me, I really like the way Half-Life immerses you in the Black Mesa facility before all hell breaks loose. In this generation, I thought that The Wind Waker intro was excellent, as it tells the story of Ocarina of Time as an ancient legend.

Tales Of Symphonia.

Brilliant. I love the way you look at it, everytime you start the game. And you don't really understand much, but the more deeper you get into the game, the more you understand of the video, and then, when you finish the game, the intro almost turns into an ending, as everything makes sense. Sad in a way :aww:

I also absolutley love the intro to Chrono Trigger, don't know why. It just a showcase of the game really, bloodly good showcase at that.

I know i'll think of more..

Hmm; The Final Fantasy Intro's are always visual tour de forces, especially FF VIII and X. They were just amazing to watch. The Metal Gear Solid insertion was a great way to start the game off but my favourite has to be Majora's Mask on the N64.

The intro sequence(which I class as the opening scene, and then the chase after the deku scrub) was a joy to watch as it unfurled and then you take control, flipping and somersaulting through the initial act.

Shenmue, no question. Hollywood quality music, brillinatly choreagraphed fighting, decent voice acting (for that bit anyway) mystique - it's all there.

I cant think of it remind me.... I only remember the part... Oh is it when Ryo's father is murdered.

I thought the voice acting on that was dodgey.

Yes the Shenmue intro was quite good, but i laugh every time at the "FARTHER.... NOOOOOO!!!"

The SSBM intro is a favourite of mine.

Yeah probably shenmue for me aswell, and I love the voice acting in shenmue. Just so cheesy I find it adds more to the game than takes away :p

secret of mana. Simple text on the screen, but very effective. Also like ALTTP with the rain falling down.

Shenmue, no question. Hollywood quality music, brillinatly choreagraphed fighting, decent voice acting (for that bit anyway) mystique - it's all there.

I'm so glad you mentioned Shenmue as i was only thinking of Nintendo games before i read your post;

The Shenmue intro is FANTASTIC!

- Majoras Mask - sprang to mind; the lonely walk through the forest, the chase, the music, the acrobatics! I love it!

- Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast) - I was in AWE the first time i saw the intro title movie; i'd never seen graphics like it before and the music was great,

- SSBM - for the great music and animation,

- Ocarina of Time - Links nightmare and Navis flight,

- Resident Evil 4 - this game kind of has a short opening chapter before the title appears after the first village attack; but what a beginning!!

"Where'd everybody go? Bingo?"

Majoras Mask! I love that start, I felt sorry for little old Link. Just saved the world then he gets robbed and lost.

Final Fantasy VIII's intro is possibly my all time favourite. 'Liberi Fatali' is such a fantastic opening theme.

Majora's Mask really sets the mood for the rest of the game, and gives an interesting depiction of Link as an unknown hero; he saved Hyrule, but in a way it never really happened.

On a similar note, Ocarina of Time's title screen is the best I've ever seen. Epona, the piano, the sun slowly rising above the grassy plains.

Ico's opening is another great mood capturer. There's a pervading air of silent remorse, an undertone that underlines the entire experience.

As many have already mentioned, Shenmue is a classic. And I know we aren't talking abut endings here, but the entire 4th disk of Shenmue 2 acts as a brilliant transition to a more magical third game.

There are 2 that automatically spring to mind. The first being Soul Calibar 2, which just had a plane fantastic intro. It started with the immortal line "Transending history and the world; a tale of souls and swords eternally retold", and then just showed the most amazing clips of the characters 'in life' (the one that I remember well, was mitsurugi's battle upon the boats, fighting off some army, and then just managing to reflect a bullet with his blade^^). It should win an oscar for that, in my humble opinion.

The second one is Mortal Kombat: Deadly Aliance. I don't think I've seen an intro set the mood for the whole game as well as MK: DA. It's basically about Quan Chi escaping from hell looking for revenge, and teaming up with Tsang Sung, to find immortality, because they are both gits. To achieve this they both go ahead and bump off Lui Kang, and threaten the world for power, immortality and such, but Raiden vows to stop them. It's more immense watching it, and knowing the story behind previous MK's aswell. It's very graphic, too, for example where Tsang broke Lui Kangs neck is a prime example of this, and is excellent cinematography, too.

However, seeming as this is the retro board, I better say something about an intro from a game from a console of the past, which will be SM64. Y'know, where you mess about with mario's face when you turn on the game. At the time, I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. I wasted hours (well, minutes) seeing what the silliest face i can put on Mario. However, going back to it now, it is quite dull, but good while it lasted.

Metal Gear Solid 2:sons of liberty intro movie, much like a opening for a movie featuring highlights of scenes in the game itself

I just though Goldeneye's opening was awesome, first time I saw it I was like 'omg! just like the film!', 'omg! photo-realistic!', lol.

I loved ToS,Baten Kaitos and Wind Waker intros but they've been mentioned so i'll say this.

Soul Calibur II

Absolutely fantastic intro.

Donkey Kong 64, wot a rap lol

WH-H-H...Here we go!

So they're finally here, performing for you

If you know the words, you can join in too

Put your hands together if you want to clap

As we take you through this fun-ky rap! HUH!"

So glad you mentioned that as I had completely forgotten!

Aswell as DK64 I think Smash Bros Melee, Tales of Symphonia and also Sonic Adventure (as Retro mentioned - did we see it for the first time together? can't remember)

So glad you mentioned that as I had completely forgotten!

Same here!!

Huh, DK, Donkey Kong, DK, Donkey Kong is here

He has no style, he has no grace,

yet this kong has a funny face,

he can handstand, when he needs to,

and stretch his arms out, just for you!!

Come on Kranky, take it to the fridge!!

Oh and Banjo Kazooies intro also had a great intro song from memory!

Sonic Adventure (as Retro mentioned - did we see it for the first time together? can't remember)

It's quite likely!!

Along with OOT, MM, and many other classic games!

Good times hey!! :happy:

I just though Goldeneye's opening was awesome, first time I saw it I was like 'omg! just like the film!', 'omg! photo-realistic!', lol.

Yeah, GoldenEye's intro was pretty special to Bond fans! I got out the N64 the other day, I still love this game.

Silenced Walther, setting off remote mines with your watch, gunning down crack Soviet troops with an AK-47 - superb :yes:

..Banjo Kazooie.. where they play the instruments.. :heh: (loved that game..)

..or the first time I saw the intro to Goldeneye 007..