NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

New Year's Resolutions for 2018!

It's that time of the year where we look at last year's resolutions and see how we did. Also, what are your hopes and plans for 2018? Has it been a good year? A successful one? 

I'll go first.

Last Year's Resolutions

Result

Resolution for 2018

To save up and organise a wedding...

We are saving up...but it hasn't been for a wedding! We've had a few things go wrong with the house, with the more recent one being an issue with our kitchen ceiling. I think that this is going to have to be a major priority for 2018, to save for a Wedding. I think it's the next thing to work towards and we just need to get a firm idea in our head with what we want, how we want to do it and how we're going to do it with getting @Eenuh's family over to the UK, and other logistics. It's a plan.

To save up and actually, finally organise a wedding.

Improve the house!

The house is barely recognisable from the one that we bought. We redid the bathroom straight away and it's a billion times better than what was there before. We knocked some plasterboard down, redid all of the flooring, redid the walls, replaced almost all of the plug sockets and light switches. The electricity has been redone and we've now also got an induction hob in the kitchen. Basically, it's getting closer to how we envisaged it to be. The next steps are to sort out the garden and maybe begin to plan for extensions to the front and back of the house.

Make even more improvements to the house!

Begin to think about extensions...

Make my music room an actual music room!

Figure out what to do with garden

Get a powercage/rack and transform the garage into a home gym.

This was actually done quite easily and quickly. We replaced the up-and-over garage door/shutter with a beautiful pair of French doors/windows. We bought some rubber flooring/gym mats that we cut to size. That took an effort doing, as it was almost 3cm thick! I bought a power cage, which I'm absolutely in love with. The ceiling was plastered and we redid the lights in there, added an extra plug socket and also mounted the tv to the wall. We had the whole thing done in roughly a week. I'm really pleased with the result and it's great having all that space to be able to go in there and exercise. So, great success here!

To look ab-solutely fabulous.

Most of the year has been spent doing house stuff and work has been getting busy (for reasons that'll be detailed later). So, unfortunately, this hasn't happened. I have to be better with food next year!

To actually become harder, better, faster, stronger

Keep improving the football team and conquer the world

We had a semi-successful, semi-disappointing season. First of all, we got to a cup final and were on course to win a trophy. Unfortunately, we conceded a goal roughly 30 seconds from the full time whistle and the dream was over. So, amazing to get to a final, but heart-breaking to finish as a runner up when we should have finished as winners. We played an away fixture against another team and thrashed them 8-0, so that was great. So, I guess the plan is to keep going with this and we are getting closer...but, still, I think this was the one and it didn't quite happen.

To get to another final and win more games

A holiday! Much needed!

Holiday to Italy booked for March 2018! We went to Spain in the summer and are in Belgium at the moment to see @Eenuh's family. But, it'll be my first time to Italy! Really looking forward to it! As a kid, I had an obsession with Italian football and always wanted to go and see the most famous stadiums there. Hopefully I can do that now. :D

To enjoy Italy and begin to look at other holiday destinations

To improve my languages, especially Flemish/Dutch.

I think this has been a huge success. I have made tons of progress using Duolingo and Memrise and am much better when constructing sentences and also when understanding conversations. At the same time, I also worked very hard with improving my Spanish when we went to Spain, so that was successful, too. Not only that, but I've also started looking at Italian and Japanese, too. Both are fun, for different reasons. Hopefully I can get my Italian to a decent-ish standard before we go. Japanese will always just be for fun and will probably be the language that I'll be least likely to use out of the lot. On a side note, I've always been fascinated by Russian ever since I was a kid. I know that I'll get around to it one day, so maybe that I'll have a little go at it at some point in 2018.

To become fluent in Flemish/Dutch. This is really doable.

To improve my Spanish! Maybe start to read more books and watch tv shows in Spanish.

To get better with Japanese.

To get better with Italian.

Bonus resolution...to start thinking about Russian.

Become a music God! Get a drum kit!

Right, @Eenuh has been putting my money into a saving's account and I now have enough money to buy an electric drum kit. So...it is going to happen in 2018! I'm really excited. I've been talking about it for years, but it's finally going to happen. This'll be the first time since about 2005 that I will have had constant access to my own drum kit. Really looking forward to it. The downside is that it's going to cost a loooot of money as I'm planning to go top of the line with this. I've got my eye on three possible kits, so it'll just be a case of somehow testing these and choosing one. Yaaay!

To choose an electric drum kit!

To sort out the music room!

To play the guitars a lot more.

To improve with the keyboard

New resolution: To gain recognition for all of my efforts at work.

There has been a lot of change at work!

This time last year, I was seriously thinking about leaving my school and went to two other job interviews. I was successful with both and was offered both jobs. I turned both down and said to my Headteacher that I'd wait a bit longer to see what comes up at our school, as I wanted more responsibility.

A few months later, I was then awarded a HUGE role as Head of Junior School. I'm now in charge of the Junior School, which makes up roughly half of our entire school. So, a lot has happened for me in a year. I am now at the stage where I have to conduct staff meetings, introduce events to parents, send out letters more frequently and lots of other things. It's a LOT more work, and there is a lot of shit to go with it, but I think I'm doing well at this job and have made a good start. Hopefully it'll keep going!

To finish my first year as Head of Junior School positively

To make bigger and better changes

To be a success and gain more recognition at what I do

Overall, it's been a very, very successful year in lots of ways. Lots of big changes. It's been busy, but I think it's been worth it. Hopefully 2018 will be a great year for us!

Over to you!

• Thanks 1

I’ve never really made real resolutions. I like to keep it simple and with low goals. 

Make it to 2019. 

Things I’d like to do but likely won’t.

Make a housing purchase. Either a land lot and build (leaning towards) or something on market but I’m cheap and picky. 

Fix the brakes on my dune buggy and finally get that damn thing to the dunes this summer and get away from work.  Bonus, get the other buggy an engine and running period. 

Uhhhh....yep that’s it. 

• Thanks 2

I don't really set resolutions for myself, but last year was an exception, I told myself I'd draw at least one piece of artwork a week.

Yeah, it doesn't sound like a big deal. But some of my arty followers over on DeviantArt would agree that I am usually notoriously slow at drawing. So I wanted to get some kind of consistency going.

I managed to pull it off though! Well, I still have to upload a picture this week, but that's been ready to go for a while now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I need to amend mine to include...

CATCHING AND TAMING THE FOX LIVING UNDER MY PORCH. THAT BASATARD HAS BEEN FROLICKING IN MY SNOWY YARD WITHOUT ME!!

and now we have the most unrealistic resolution :)

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

I need to amend mine to include...

CATCHING AND TAMING THE FOX LIVING UNDER MY PORCH. THAT BASATARD HAS BEEN FROLICKING IN MY SNOWY YARD WITHOUT ME!!

and now we have the most unrealistic resolution :)

Well, that's a story you shouldn't just end there.

That’s pretty much it. I was going out to check my mailbox. Heard a noise and looked over to see the silhouette of a Fox hauling ass for the field. There are a ton of tracks going all through the snow in my yard. And a handful of rabbit tracks. 

Well, not to put a damper too much on this thread but, here's mine:

Live to 2018. 

Most of you know its been a rough year for me. I had major surgery, the loss of my grandad and I'm set to have a hysterectomy in 2018. Things are rough, but I made it!

Join the gym

I actually did this one too! I started a couple of months ago. 

Start a skincare routine. 

I made this one as well, which means I ended up with much better skin towards the end of last year :)

For 2018? Well I've not made anything, I'm just kind of grateful to be alive at this point. 

• Like 4

2017 resolution.

Play more GameCube games.

Yeah, that went well... I thought the Switch would have Virtual Console games by now including GC titles so I neglected my actual GameCube but in fairness it's the Switch's fault. :p

2018 resolutions.

Write more reviews.

I was ill in the Summer and in some ways I don't feel like I really recovered though I did manage to cover a few large reviews which I was pleased with in 2017. :D

This year though there will surely be more reviews for Switch titles and possibly retro consoles, which ties nicely into...

Optimise picture quality.

RGB scart for most of my old consoles because I'm fed up with the lousy picture quality on certain machines and not being able to easily have them set up ready to play, which brings me onto...

Sort stuff out.

And there's a lot of it to sort through, 2018 will be the year of buying less stuff, selling/giving away/getting rid of things I don't want or need and only keeping the best of my collection which I'm damn lucky to have in the first place.

More importantly, I'm still living at home, my parents aren't getting any younger and they need as much of their house back as possible, so I'll be sorting out loads of stuff, not just my own but any general clutter in the house which needs to go, it really is time to sort it all out so I've got to stop making unintentionally stupid decisions and focus on what matters. :peace:

Make a career out of gaming.

It's fair to say that I put a lot of time into games, I still enjoy reviewing and will continue to do so, it would be nice to also make some videos as well though about video game topics which I haven't figured out yet, they may end up on N-Europe (I hope) my own channel or a mixture of the two, it will take a bit of figuring out but it's what I want to do and if I can make it at least semi-sustainable then all the better; one thing is for sure though... I'm going to have fun doing it. :)

There's no way that I'm going to get another part-time job in retail unless I really have to, where I am at the moment isn't bad at all, I mostly get on with everyone and I enjoy helping people where I can by just talking to them and trying to be positive where possible... but it can be really draining, as all jobs can be I suppose. ::shrug:

And finally...

Play more GameCube games! (for real this time)

I love the GameCube, it has a special place in my heart, I officially joined this place when it was Cube-Europe I believe, the console has quite possibly my favourite controller (which I still use on my Switch) and some of the best games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. :smile:

Love this thread. Didn't actually post this last year but mine went quite well

Buy a flat - Success!

Read 15 books - Just made it in time, success!

Finish an out-of-work animation project - Just about a success!

Run 120 Miles - Pretty tepid target in hindsight, smashed through it halfway through the year

Make decent headway into learning Italian - To my girlfriend's dismay - a failure

So, 2018!

Read 15 books (again)

Run 250 miles

Finish an out-of-work animation project on my own rather than with a colleague

Do two pages of sketchbook work a week

Make a little bit of headway into learning Italian.. again.. suggestions and tips welcome..

Gonna update this post when I think of some others!

• Like 1

I can't remember if I made any last year but I've probably failed it if it included weight loss and starting a project but I'm definitely going for it this year.

- Lose weight and gain muscle my way
- Do at least 1 obstacle course (like Tough Mudder)
- Do at least 1 running event
- Train using boxing methods
- Get the qualifications to be a personal trainer or anything related to the fitness industry

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Not really that into new years resolutions, but I've made a few for this year.

Do a 365 drawing challenge.
A friend of mine did this, and it's been really inspiring to see his development and how his joy for art has expanded. I love to draw, but it can be months without anything. So, if I can at least do a small doodle each day, I'm sure I'll get a lot out of it in the end.

Work out twice a week
Started working out last year. I'm not fat or anything, but I know it will be good for me :).

Ride my bike to and from work
Started doing this last year as well :p. But I need to keep at it. At least twice a week during the warmer periods. It's around 7.5 miles each way, so if I can get 15 miles on my bike twice a week, that will be really nice. Also, I want to do more long trips for exercise as well.

Record more music
If I can, I really want to get back into making more Zelda cover songs, like I did before. I love recording stuff, but I really, really suck at taking the time to do it. 

FINISH THE WITCHER 3
This game has been looming over me ever since it got released. And I thought I had a good run going now, but then I discovered Xenoblade Chronicles 2. God dammit. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Do a 365 drawing challenge.

Oh great, someone's already trying to one-up me.

Good luck with that though.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Oh great, someone's already trying to one-up me.

Good luck with that though.

Have you tried lowering your standards as to what counts as a drawing? It’s kinda like dating. Just keep widening what’s acceptable. 

• Haha 2

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 1:23 PM, nightwolf said:

Well, not to put a damper too much on this thread but, here's mine:

Live to 2018. 

Most of you know its been a rough year for me. I had major surgery, the loss of my grandad and I'm set to have a hysterectomy in 2018. Things are rough, but I made it!

Join the gym

I actually did this one too! I started a couple of months ago. 

Start a skincare routine. 

I made this one as well, which means I ended up with much better skin towards the end of last year :)

For 2018? Well I've not made anything, I'm just kind of grateful to be alive at this point. 

We're all rooting for you! 

• Like 2

This will be the only artwork I'll post, I swear, but it's related and inspired by this thread :P. So thanks for helping me get this idea :D.

DSk4MAqWAAUJFEl?format=jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

At least the second one is conducive to the grow a beard resolution.

Pro-tip on that on, just stop shaving. Power through that awkward trashy stage after stubble and before trimmable bears length. 

• Thanks 1

I didn't make any last year so don't have any progress to report on but I have a few things I'd like to do this year

Read Some Books

I somehow managed to go through all of 2017 without reading a single book so I'm pretty keen to get back into the habit of reading at least one a month. 

Watch 52 Worthwhile Films

I probably watch more than 52 films in a year without even thinking about it but the majority of them tend to be just schlocky or shallow films to pass the time, this year I plan on watching at least one quality film that i've never seen before each week. I've been pretty successful at doing this with video games over the past two years (just missing out on 52 for 2017) so it shouldn't be too much of an issue to repeat the task with films. 

Make Progress On A Creative Pursuit

I probably need to be a bit more focused, I have interest in writing, making music, films and game design but haven't made anything substantial in a long time so I plan on making this the year when I finally produce something and see it through to the end. 

To Get Well

The main resolution I have set myself for 2018 if to get better. I spent the latter half of 2016 basically housebound and made some progress towards getting better in 2017 and I can now get out about my neighbourhood and go to the local shops but I still suffer a great deal with anxiety and agoraphobia and haven't been able to see my brothers new house since he moved in, which is something I hope to be able to do by the end of the year. It's the most important resolution for me but also the one I have the least control over, although success in this resolution should help me achieve success in the others and vice versa.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Only have the 1 resolution this year, which is to cut down/stop drinking so many fizzy drinks.  So far this year, i've had 3 cans.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2018 at 6:13 PM, Jimbob said:

Only have the 1 resolution this year, which is to cut down/stop drinking so many fizzy drinks.  So far this year, i've had 3 cans.

I need to copy your resolutions bro.

Drink water, and just stick with it. For a while it's boring as hell, but when you don't mind it, you'll never really want fizzy drinks again. Except for Jack & Coke though :p.

Sign in to follow this