NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Grazza

Wonder Boy: the Dragon's Trap

We've got a thread for Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, but I'm not sure we have one for this game, which is also coming to Switch.

It was hard to keep the secret, but finally we can spill those edamame beans…

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap is coming to the Nintendo Switch™ in 2017!

A reunion was held in mushroom kingdom under a veil of absolute secrecy, where Nintendo suggested we could bring the game over to their upcoming platform. Needless to say it was a unique opportunity and as soon as we saw the system we knew we wanted to get the game on it. We started working on it and well, HERE WE ARE!

The game plays fantastic on the Nintendo Switch! It runs at a smooth 60 FPS, the screen and colors in handheld mode are amazing, and it plays just as well in full HD when docked. We can't wait to show you more!

If you don't plan to dock yourself on the Switch bandwagon just yet, rest assured, the game will also be coming to other platforms! We will announce them as well as the game release date as soon as we are ready… and we've got a bunch of other cool news coming.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/01/wonder_boy_the_dragonrs_trap_confirmed_for_nintendo_switch_release_this_year

With Monster Boy seemingly inspired by Wonder Boy III, and this a direct remake, it'll be interesting to see which is the better game.

Whoa, so it's coming back twice? :o

So, I wonder if it was thanks to Nintendo that the franchise got revived in the first place? It would explain why they're exclusive, and they do look like the kind of project Nintendo would support.

Whoa, so it's coming back twice? :o

So, I wonder if it was thanks to Nintendo that the franchise got revived in the first place? It would explain why they're exclusive, and they do look like the kind of project Nintendo would support.

They're not exclusive, mind, as as they confirm it's still coming to other platforms. The other game was confirmed for PS4, XO and Windows.

It's nice Nintendo is getting the W/Monsterboy-love, but it's due to the passion of the developers, not Nintendo's. :)

Edited by Strange Cookie

It's probably an awful lot to do with Shantae. Those games reminded people of the Monster World series, and these Monster Boy/Wonder Boy games are appearing just as Shantae seems to have become more popular with Pirate's Curse/Half-Genie Hero.

Does this game have anything to do with the Tenacious D song? Is Nasty Man in it?

So I'm getting pretty damn super excited about this. They've just announced a "retro feature" where you can switch between the new version and the original in a click of a button. Literally loving everything about this title:

The art/animation and music are top notch - really elevates it. Stylistically, leagues ahead of Monster Boy!

Here's hoping the same team tackle Monster World IV.

The art/animation and music are top notch - really elevates it. Stylistically, leagues ahead of Monster Boy!

Here's hoping the same team tackle Monster World IV.

There's a name I'm pleased to see again! Welcome back!

Regarding the game, the 8-bit mode has really surprised me, in terms of how accurate the remaster must be if you can just switch back and forth. All cleaned up though, so even if you opt for 8-bit, it'll be better than the Master System.

If you look into the dev diary, im not surprised at all. The creator gave the project his blessing as he got to know the lead designer/coder after he contacted him about data mining the original game to find out where the secret dpprs were. He literally knows the game inside and out.

Regarding the game, the 8-bit mode has really surprised me, in terms of how accurate the remaster must be if you can just switch back and forth. All cleaned up though, so even if you opt for 8-bit, it'll be better than the Master System.

The impressive thing is that somehow it seems to transcend a simple reskin job!

I love the idea of being able to flip between 8bit and modern both visuals and music (and independently). They've really refashioned the whole look, giving it a nice sketchy quality.

And again, the music isn't simply a case of 'upgrading' the chiptunes with dodgy samples or whathaveyou - each track has been developed with a special character of its own, perhaps only implicit in the original (and recorded with live musicians).

I'd never heard of this game before but the devs dropped into giantbomb last week and did a playthrough a couple of stages. I'm really impressed with the way it looks and looking forward to it:

I remember having this game as child and spending many an hour trying to complete it (which didn't help as I bought it 2nd hand without a manual so I took a long time before I discovered how to actually use items!). They look like they're going all out with the remake, I think it looks terrific and I'm really looking forward to it! One of the best Master System games!

I remember having this game as child and spending many an hour trying to complete it (which didn't help as I bought it 2nd hand without a manual so I took a long time before I discovered how to actually use items!). They look like they're going all out with the remake, I think it looks terrific and I'm really looking forward to it! One of the best Master System games!

Same here - I don't think I've ever completed it, either due to age / skill (I was like.. 6!) or because I didn't play that many hours. I remember sometimes I got to the last transformation and was able to fly but never knew where to go, or I would die.

Still fond memories though. Nowadays it looks a bit easier.

Release date announced.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap Sidescrolls Onto PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch on April 18

DotEmu, developer and publisher specializing in modern releases of beloved retro games, and Lizardcube, are thrilled to announce that Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap will be available on April 18th for the PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch (and a few weeks after on PC).

Boasting beautiful, hand-drawn animations and a re-orchestrated soundtrack, the cult classic returns with a unique blend of exploration, action, and adventure. Play as Lizard-Man, Mouse-Man, Piranha-Man, Lion-Man, and Hawk-Man, and use their unique abilities to uncover the land’s deepest secrets. Switch in real-time between the original retro graphics and the visually stunning modern remake, and input your old Sega Master System passcode to unlock all of your old saves and progression – just how you left them in 1989.

Wonder Boy : The Dragon’s Trap will be available on April 18 for the PS4, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch

Stay tuned, a last surprise will be announced on March 22nd!

That's sooner than I expected.

EDIT: Just seen that there is a 20% preorder discount for those who are buying it on their PS4s.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Great! This will probably be my 2nd Switch game (if I'm not tempted by others in the meantime).

Ah YEAH! Can't wait for this!

And a surprise on the 22nd? I wonder what it could be?

*secretly hopes for a Wonder Boy / Shantae mashup*

I've put about half an hour into this ( unlocked at midnight on the PS4 ) and it's a lot of fun. It has very retro feel to it but looks absolutely amazing. The graphics are very clean and the animations are superb. You can also flick between new and original visuals at the press of a button and the same goes for the soundtrack. You can even mix and match if you wish.

This will do me nicely for sessions in between Persona 5.

I pre-ordered and had a go on it this morning. I used to have this game on my Game Gear and I'm so happy it's back. Like HoT said it feels very retro. And the art style is bloody wonderful.

Got to add, in terms of UI, it's immaculate.

Definitely give it a go.

What's the gameplay like, is it similar to any other sort of 2D platformers?

Bought myself the Switch version of this. I could use a game to play on the console while I wait for MK8.

What's the gameplay like, is it similar to any other sort of 2D platformers?

Imagine Zelda II - or at least the towns and main gameplay - then extend that into a whole, interconnected overworld. It's basically a very good Metroidvania.

The quality of this game is off the scale. It is hands-down the best 2D art I've seen. They know exactly which outlines to make thick and which to make thin - the ultimate mark of an artist, in my view:

C9t-lRjV0AAuJjb.jpg

C9t-yxYUAAABu-W.jpg

I've also unlocked some clips of the orchestral music being recorded. It's a very professional product and (I think) worth every penny.

Edited by Grazza
Automerged Doublepost

The quality of this game is off the scale. It is hands-down the best 2D art I've seen. They know exactly which outlines to make thick and which to make thin - the ultimate mark of an artist, in my view:

It reminds me of the latest Shantae game. Gorgeous 2D HD visuals and amazing animation.

You can tell a lot of care and attention went into this. This is the kinda of style I imaged 2D games would look like when the HD era hit.

Sign in to follow this