NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Kaepora_Gaebora

Wolfenstein II: The New Collosus

Couldn't see a Switch specific thread, so...

I'm so excited for this to come to Switch, as soon as I heard it was I cancelled any plans to buy the game on my Xbox One.

The New Order is still my favourite game of this generation (on my Xbox One) along with the original Titanfall, so I was pleased to see the positive reviews for the sequel and have done well to resist the urge so far! 

What has actually prompted me start this thread is the news that Panic Button are, once again, on port duty. After Doom and Rocket League this is expected but also fantastic news and hopefully after the wonders of getting Doom portable this will be even better :)

This game is even more demanding than Doom so be prepared for some more cuts to possibly exist. 

It is a damn great game though and a good continuation of The New Order. 

Would get it, if I didn't hate FPS with thumbsticks. I'll probably end up playing it on PC when my backlog gets shorter (in other words, never...)

14 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Would get it, if I didn't hate FPS with thumbsticks. I'll probably end up playing it on PC when my backlog gets shorter (in other words, never...)

They added gyro aiming into Doom and it apparently works really well, it's the same team porting this so there's a good chance it'll make an appearance here too (maybe not a launch though)

I'm really impressed by the work Panic Button are doing, never played a Wolfenstein game but looks like a lot of stupid fun.

• Weird 1

Is it just me or does this look sharper than Doom on the Switch does? I guess there’s less particle effects going on so they’ve been able to use that power keep the res up.

Great to see that gyro controls are in! Really glad to see 3rd party devs listen to fans and put the effort in! :D 

There's currently a concern that all the European releases are censored. I'm not buying censored games. They don't need to be censored over here.

Edited by Sméagol

In what way will it be censored? Is it just a toning down of Nazi symbolism or is it more narrative censorship?

In what way will it be censored? Is it just a toning down of Nazi symbolism or is it more narrative censorship?

Didn’t they make a certain dictator lose his mustache in the German version of other platforms, so he looked less iconic?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

As far as I can see, they removed the Swastikas and the mustache. And changed the dialogue a little. Hitler is never referenced as Führer.

Anyway, I don't care for even the slightests form of censorship, so this is something they need to address if it's true.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm with you @Sméagol, I would be pretty bummed if there was even a hint of any censorship. I assume it's to do with Nintendo looking to release an identical package across all of Europe rather than having any objections of their own, the game is censored in Germany on PS4/Xbox One isn't it? So hopefully they can work out some way to retain the censorship just in the German release, surely there is a way to patch the content out of the game if it's downloaded or inserted into a German registered Switch but keep the game uncensored in other territories. 

On the game pre order page on the eShop it says this is the international version and that the version with nazi symbols removed is intended for German and Austrian versions...and you'll get in big trouble if you try and sell that version over there. 

Basically, no censorship :)

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

On the game pre order page on the eShop it says this is the international version and that the version with nazi symbols removed is intended for German and Austrian versions...and you'll get in big trouble if you try and sell that version over there. 

Basically, no censorship :)

Nazi symbolism, check! Mustache, check! Game launch date on my birthday, check!

That's a guaranteed sale for me then, it's like it was meant to be. ;)

Besides, I've been playing Wolfenstein since the MS-Dos days, which has symbolism galore, Hitler in a mech-suit and much more... it just wouldn't be Wolfenstein without it. :D 

580x580_Email_Wolfenstein-II_Bundle_v2-061928.jpg

Why ruin the boxart though? :(

• Sad 1
  • Angry 2

Interesting watch. There seems to be a lot of tricks being used to get the game running, which is no surprise given the hardware it's running on.

While I appreciate the effort that Panic Button have put in with this, it appears the game looks like a blurry mess a lot of the time. DF mention that the game sometimes drops to 360p in some areas. 

Like Doom, I'm interested to see how this sells, seeing as you can now pick up superior versions of the game for the other consoles for around £20, whereas this is around £45.

• Thanks 1

Looks like they've prioritised a (mostly) locked 30fps, geometry and most effects work ... over resolution and texture detail.

5 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Looks like they've prioritised a (mostly) locked 30fps, geometry and most effects work ... over resolution and texture detail.

Yup. But you have to question if the effort is worth it when it looks like your Switch screen is smeared with a layer of vasoline. :D 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yup. But you have to question if the effort is worth it when it looks like your Switch screen is smeared with a layer of vasoline. :D 

Games seem to sell on Switch, people just keep buying for this thing!

Amazing achievement getting one of the best looking FPSs of this gen working on something that fits in your pocket.

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Games seem to sell on Switch, people just keep buying for this thing!

I'll guess we will see how it does once the all format chart hits on Monday. There's been a few 1st party games in there recently so it's certainly not out of the question.

13 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Amazing achievement getting one of the best looking FPSs of this gen working on something that fits in your pocket.

Now, now. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I have the most humongous pockets and there's absolutely no way of getting a Switch in there. Not without it poking out and serving as a "Please mug me" sign.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this