NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Jimbob

Disney agree to purchase 20th Century Fox

Click here for the full press coverage.

Alternative source

What that means is this, Disney own a great deal of content including

• Acquisition complements and enhances The Walt Disney Company’s ability to provide consumers around the world with more appealing content and entertainment options
  • Transaction to include 21st Century Fox’s film and television studios, cable entertainment networks and international TV businesses
  • Popular entertainment properties including X-Men, Avatar, The Simpsons, FX Networks and National Geographic to join Disney’s portfolio
  • Expands Disney’s direct-to-consumer offerings with addition of 21st Century Fox’s entertainment content, capabilities in the Americas, Europe and Asia; Hulu stake becomes a controlling interest
  • Addition of extensive international properties, including Star in India and Fox’s 39% ownership of Sky across Europe, enhances Disney’s position as a truly global entertainment company with world-class offerings in key regions
  • Robert A. Iger to remain Chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Company through 2021

Newscorp (which will be owned by the Murdochs) is not included in the deal.

• Like 1

So happy with this. Hopefully we will finally get the X-Men in the MCU, as well better treatment in the comics.

What this means is, that Disney want to launch their own streaming service.  They now have two (Hulu in the US, NowTV (part of Sky) in the UK).  

My main concern here is what this means for R-Rated movies. It seems unlikely there'll be another Logan or Deadpool under the Mouse.

Just now, Shorty said:

My main concern here is what this means for R-Rated movies. It seems unlikely there'll be another Logan or Deadpool under the Mouse.

They've said today that any future Deadpool movies would most likely remain R rated.

Well Deadpool sells toys and is established as a franchise, Logan and future experiments less so. But still, that's good to hear.

I'm confused. Have they bought 20th Century Fox or 21st Century Fox? Or are they the same company with different names and leaders or such?

2 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I'm confused. Have they bought 20th Century Fox or 21st Century Fox? Or are they the same company with different names and leaders or such?

20th Century Fox (News Corporation, founded in 1979) spun off into two separate companies in 2013: 21st Century Fox - which consisted primarily of popular media such as TV shows and movies, as well as media outlets - and News Corp - which took on the publishing and broadcasting of assets in Australia.

• Thanks 1

Ah. I had probably missed that back in 2013 and never paid their name much attention afterwards.

3 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Ah. I had probably missed that back in 2013 and never paid their name much attention afterwards.

Honestly, I was clueless about their name change up until I did a bit more research a few weeks ago when the talks between them and Disney were first announced.

Prior to this, I genuinely just thought that they’d finally figured out that it was the 21st century now,and changed their name accordingly! :D 

• Like 1

At 05:02 GMT tomorrow morning, Disney's acquisition of 21st Century Fox will finally be complete, in a move which will cost The Mouse $71.3 billion -- this has been inflated from the $52.4 billion originally reported in December 2017, due to a rival bid by Comcast during this period. 

Edited by Julius

Just makes the 4 billion they spent on Star Wars seem even more of a bargain.

18 minutes ago, bob said:

Just makes the 4 billion they spent on Star Wars seem even more of a bargain.

Seriously. They actually even paid more for Marvel and Pixar individually than they did Star Wars! 

God I hope they came to a deal before hand so the after credits shot of Avengers Endgame is either this emerging from the shadows:

DyldLFIXcAAK9X6.jpg

Or this:

tenor.gif?itemid=8038868

25 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

God I hope they came to a deal before hand so the after credits shot of Avengers Endgame is either this emerging from the shadows:

DyldLFIXcAAK9X6.jpg

Or this:

tenor.gif?itemid=8038868

Now that they own the rights and Avengers arc is coming to an end, X-Men seems the next logical step for Disney's next big franchise. It will be nice to get a X-Men arc story arc that isn't messed up and all over the place. It's a shame that FOX ruined Apocalypse because he would have made for a cracking bad guy for the films to lead up to. Same goes for Dark Phoenix. :( 

Surely F4 will be the first one to be shoehorned in? XMen will take years of scene setting - you'll have to some kind of crises event to explain the sudden appearance of mutants. F4 you can just slip right right in. 

Just now, LazyBoy said:

Surely F4 will be the first one to be shoehorned in? XMen will take years of scene setting - you'll have to some kind of crises event to explain the sudden appearance of mutants. F4 you can just slip right right in. 

I think they may want to wait for a while until showing off the F4. Fox done some major damage to that universe of characters. Saying that, I would love Galactus to be the next big bad.

I think Infinity War/Endgame could easily be used to explain the introduction of mutants to the MCU.

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

6c5c55rca7n21.png

Jesus... that list is terrifying!

And that isn't even half of what they own!

Somebody stop them before they buy everything!

Sign in to follow this