NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Soul Calibur VI

There are rumors that it will be announced for Switch on either the Namco Bandai event on the15th of December, or in the upcoming Nintendo Direct in January. It might have been put on hold because Nintendo is having cameo characters, just like Soul Calibur 2 did with Link.

I hope the rumors are true, but as with every rumor, it is best to take it with a grain of salt.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

There are rumors that it will be announced for Switch on either the Namco Bandai event on the15th of December, or in the upcoming Nintendo Direct in January. It might have been put on hold because Nintendo is having cameo characters, just like Soul Calibur 2 did with Link.

I hope the rumors are true, but as with every rumor, it is best to take it with a grain of salt.

Just imagine... in a Nintendo Direct if it got announced and had Link again as a guest character, perhaps Breath of the Wild version of Link this time.

And then someone from Nintendo says... "Remember this?" *trailer rolls of Soul Calibur II for GameCube*

Boom! Virtual Console launches with GameCube games with Soul Calibur II leading the line-up. :D

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

That would be bloody awesome!

I’d snap this up on Switch if that was the case.

1 hour ago, S.C.G said:

Just imagine... in a Nintendo Direct if it got announced and had Link again as a guest character, perhaps Breath of the Wild version of Link this time.

And then someone from Nintendo says... "Remember this?" *trailer rolls of Soul Calibur II for GameCube*

Boom! Virtual Console launches with GameCube games with Soul Calibur II leading the line-up. :D

TBH, I wouldn't be surprised that if the Switch didn't get VI, then a HD re-release of Soul Calibur 2 was on the cards for the Switch instead. Change the Link character model, or even add the BotW one on top of the existing one, and put it out at a reasonable price with some online play. I'd go for it, more so because 2 was the last time I played/enjoyed a Soul Calibur game, though the first is still my favourite but that's perhaps nostalgia tinged from spending so much time playing it on the Dreamcast back in the day.

• Haha 1

I'd buy both if they come for the Switch. Soul Calibur 2 is the only fighting game I've played as much as Smash. Great rooster, really well balanced, and even with the best cameo fighter in a fighting game. Link just made a lot of sense in the Soul Calibur universe. 

If I could pick though, I'd go with SC VI. I'd rather have a fresh experience with a new game rather than yet another port of an old game. Not that I really mind, but if I can have a brand new game, I'd rather give that a go. 

48 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

I'd buy both if they come for the Switch. Soul Calibur 2 is the only fighting game I've played as much as Smash. Great rooster, really well balanced, and even with the best cameo fighter in a fighting game. Link just made a lot of sense in the Soul Calibur universe. 

If I could pick though, I'd go with SC VI. I'd rather have a fresh experience with a new game rather than yet another port of an old game. Not that I really mind, but if I can have a brand new game, I'd rather give that a go. 

Bruh, I love Soul Calibur a whole lot, especially 2, after which Namco commenced to fuck both the art and the mechanics almost beyond repair, but that whole series is the most wonky, broken ass set of games you can imagine in terms of balance. From messed up shit like lizardman's infinite combos in the first game to the fact that there were a grand total of about 4 tournament viable characters in SC2. Things that could have been fixed with a post launch patch or more through QA such as the fact that Voldo can't actually do any forward facing grab attacks on Nightmare or that Xianghua not only has one of the smallest hurtboxes in the game but also the best range, damage and speed.

I love the games because there aren't many others like it, but I seriously hope they do something to make this something you'd watch at the Evo finals rather than something you'd mash buttons on after a few drinks with your pals.

Whatever they do though, I can see from the footage they've presented already that it isn't going to be a shitfest on the level of SCV. Meterless guard impacts are back for a start, so I'm there day one. Soul Calibur's always been something I can get people who aren't into fighting games to play, but it's always come at the price of a lowered skill ceiling for the games because most of the game is to do with spamming target combos. I'm really hoping they make this one something special.

Edit: Also, best Cameo in a fighting game is Akuma in Tekken though.

Edited by The Bard
  • Thanks 2

Truth be told, those few gameplay clips restored my faith in a series that had lost me for a decade or so. Soul Calibur 2 is legit one of the best fighting games I've ever played, but SC3 decided to change shit (movesets and aesthetics) for no reason other than to change shit, SC4 made some horrendous aesthetic choices, and SC5 decided to throw away the series' identity in favour of following other games half-heartedly.

This entry's giving me Soul Calibur 2 vibes right now, and the director is someone who hasn't directed the series before, and is apparently being vouched for by Tekken's Harada. I'm cautiously optimistic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Bold move to use the good old Ivy character design in this day and age :D

Anyway, can't wait...for the game...you know... :p

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Bold move to use the good old Ivy character design in this day and age :D

Gotta love the Japanese developers. They generally don't care what the West thinks. :D 

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Gotta love the Japanese developers. They generally don't care what the West thinks. :D 

Rightly so. I could go into how I hate all the "movements" these days but fuck it. It's a video game, I like video games, I like boobs. Day-one.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I like video games, I like boobs. Day-one.

Pack it up. Drahkon has already won quote of the year.

• Haha 6

37 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Pack it up. Drahkon has already won quote of the year.

256px-SuccessKid.jpg

• Haha 3

Awesome, much like Link in Soul Calibur 2, it's making me want a game I had no interest in before.

I can imagine a conversation CD Projekt Red might've had amongst themselves... "should we let them use Ciri too?" "have you seen the female characters in the previous games?!" "oh, scrap that idea!". 

• Haha 1

This is just looking better and better! Makes me sad that there are no Switch version coming :(. 

Oh, and Ivy nude PC mods are bound to happen :P.

This is just looking better and better! Makes me sad that there are no Switch version coming :(
Oh, and Ivy nude PC mods are bound to happen :p.
And Geralt.
  • Haha 1

The Soul Edge - a legendary sword and devourer of souls - is more powerful than ever before. But fate is carved with your own hands. Fate has chosen you, but how will you heed its call? SOULCALIBUR VI will return on the stage of history this October 19th 2018 on PS4, XB1 and PC.

They couldn't have chosen a worse time to release the game...

Edited by drahkon

Bah, I was hoping this would be revealed for Switch during the E3 presentation, but no :(. I guess I'll get it for the PC instead :cry:

Sign in to follow this