NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Mega Man Legacy Collections (Switch)

Well that answers my question then!

In for MM9 and MM10.  Don't care about the rest as long as they're crappy Digital Eclipse ports like on other systems...

Im confused about all of these collections. Ive not really played Megaman before. What are the difference between the games? Whats this and X series? Are they all similar?

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Well that answers my question then!

In for MM9 and MM10.  Don't care about the rest as long as they're crappy Digital Eclipse ports like on other systems...

I'm looking forward to this but haven't been keeping up... what were the issues with the Legacy ports?

10 hours ago, Lens of Truth said:

I'm looking forward to this but haven't been keeping up... what were the issues with the Legacy ports?

Slowdown that wasn't in the original games, audio glitches, input lag, various graphics bugs at certain points.  Also they removed the famous MM1 pause trick...

There's probably more I'm forgetting too.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Blade said:

Im confused about all of these collections. Ive not really played Megaman before. What are the difference between the games? Whats this and X series? Are they all similar?

They are similar in that they are both jump and shoot games but the X series is more refined, looks better and is just generally a lot more fun, IMO. It makes sense seeing as they took what they had learned with the original MM games and built upon that foundation with the X series. The X games are a lot easier to play, whereas the early MM games are brutal.

I thought you had played some of the early games/X series on the Wii U Virtual Console? 

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

They are similar in that they are both jump and shoot games but the X series is more refined, looks better and is just generally a lot more fun, IMO. It makes sense seeing as they took what they had learned with the original MM games and built upon that foundation with the X series. The X games are a lot easier to play, whereas the early MM games are brutal.

I thought you had played some of the early games/X series on the Wii U Virtual Console? 

I think i did a stage or two on Megaman 2. Thats it though. I didn't realise there were so many games!

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The X games are a lot easier to play, whereas the early MM games are brutal.

Spoken like a noob :p

• Haha 2

So would I be right in saying there are 8 Mega Man X games and 11 Mega Man games? Or is Mega Man X just Mega Man 10? Is it like the iPhone X, did they skip 9? Or are 1-8 called X, and 9,10 and 11 aren't X?

Is 1-8 included in the Legacy collection? Because they appear to have a different thread. 11 is a totally brand new game right, not a remake? Are the others remakes or remasters? Or re-releases?

Is Mega Man related to Astro Boy?

15 hours ago, Blade said:

The first Megaman Legacy Collection includes all the NES games, that is, Megaman 1 through 6. It also includes a few challenges (defeating multiple bosses in a row, playing through specific level segments in a gauntlet, etc.). These games play very similar to each other, with a few incremental changes from game to game.

The second Legacy Collection includes Megaman 7 through 10. That's a SNES game, a PS1/Saturn game, and two NES-style, retro-throwback games. I'm assuming it has challenges as well. The first two games are attempts revamping the series into better systems, the other two are made to be similar to the NES games (though they have unique aspects of their own, like other playable characters).

(There's also a game called "Megaman & Bass" that's made in the style of Megaman 8, but I don't think it's included in either collection)

The X series is a full-blown revamp made back in the 16-bit era. The classic was/is about an idealistic robot battling an evil scientist, the X series is set a hundred or so years later, in a bleak future where androids rebel against humanity. Gameplay-wise, it's much smoother and faster paced. There have been three X games on the SNES, three more on the PS1, and then two on the PS2

31 minutes ago, bob said:

So would I be right in saying there are 8 Mega Man X games and 11 Mega Man games? Or is Mega Man X just Mega Man 10? Is it like the iPhone X, did they skip 9? Or are 1-8 called X, and 9,10 and 11 aren't X?

Is 1-8 included in the Legacy collection? Because they appear to have a different thread. 11 is a totally brand new game right, not a remake? Are the others remakes or remasters? Or re-releases?

Is Mega Man related to Astro Boy?

Yes. No. Nothing like that. Also no.

X1-X8 are included in a Legacy Collection, the one from the other thread. Exactly. No. Yes.

Kinda.

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Slowdown that wasn't in the original games, audio glitches, input lag, various graphics bugs at certain points.  Also they removed the famous MM1 pause trick...

There's probably more I'm forgetting too.

Is that all in the 3DS version as well? Because I didn't experience any of that.

That one feels buggy at times, but it's consistent within a specific game (for example, Megaman sometimes jumps late when charging the buster, but only in MM4). Even then, the only technical problems that bothered me were stuff that was already in the originals (disappearing blocks in MM2 will occasionally clip you out, Bright Man's platforms will sometimes move before you fully land on them, etc.) and slowdowns in MM3 (they're exclusive to that game, and consistent with ROMs I played before. Never played it on the NES, though).

Also, the MM1 pause trick is absolutely there.

• Thanks 1

Personally much prefer the original NES games to the X games. 2 and 3 are well known as being two of the best Mega Man games. Brutal difficulty though, but the precise platforming is part of the fun IMO.

• Like 1

Collection 1 comes on the cart but you have to download collection 2. I'm getting a little tired of the download BS that keeps happening. Resident Evil, Bayonetta and now this.

• Angry 1

Weird it's cheaper to buy them individually digitally, than it is both in a retail bundle, half of which s a digital download anyway...

22 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

Weird it's cheaper to buy them individually digitally, than it is both in a retail bundle, half of which s a digital download anyway...

Not weird at all. You get a very nice handkerchief. Or cleaning cloth or whatever. That totally makes it up for the price difference. Totally.

• Like 2

Yeah that's an really awful, awful trend. "Here a physical collection of 2 games. With only one game. Here have a code."

I may get it for convenience, though I'd still like to get 1, 2, and 3 for the NES some day. But this will be the easiest way to get 6, which I was waiting for back in the day, but it never came.

Just now, Sméagol said:

I could be wrong, but don't the Playstation Mega man games feature cutscenes?

MM8 is the only PS1 MM game and the PSN iso is 235.42MB.  How on earth they managed to turn that into 5GB, I have no idea!

• Weird 1

Wait, do we even get the physical edition to begin with? Capcom have previously left out Europe when releasing physical games.

12 hours ago, Dcubed said:

MM8 is the only PS1 MM game and the PSN iso is 235.42MB.  How on earth they managed to turn that into 5GB, I have no idea!

Man, that leaves a bad taste in your mouth... Oh wait, only the first collection does, that's the physical one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sign in to follow this