NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Your Gaming Bucketlist

Looking back at the insane amount of releases this year, and how many games I had to pass up on and have yet to play, got me thinking about games from other generations that I missed out on and never got around to playing. Some of these games I simply didn't know about until later on, sometimes a generation or two afterwards, others I didn't have the means to play them. Here's a selection of games from that list that I would love to sit down and play one day.

6037_front.jpg

Domstercool would be saddened by this news if he was still on the forums. :D This is one of those games that I never got to play due to it never being released over here. I played the sequel but that was more of a Resident Evil clone, whereas the original was more like an RPG. It was released as part of the PSOne Classics range on PSN over in the US but it still never made it over here.

3644_front.jpg

Here's another game that I couldn't play due to it never being released over here at the time. The game did eventually get a PSP release over here and it's also available to play on the Vita via the PSN store. Many Final Fantasy fans rave on about the story, characters and soundtrack but it's sadly something I have yet to experience.

5985_front.jpg

Ah, the Holy Grail for many Sega Saturn collectors. Most Sega Saturn games have risen in price over the years but this games price has skyrocketed and can go for around £300-£400, depending on what condition it is in. I sold my Saturn before I got the chance to play it and I have never picked it up due to the price it sells for. I know the game is short but I would still like to see what all the fuss is about. I wonder how it will play these days, given that I have no nostalgia for it.

204450_front.jpg

I've tried a few times to play through this ( both vanilla and Golden versions ) but it just didn't stick with me. This year I picked up, played, finished and LOVED Persona 5. Now that I know how the games work I may finally get to play through the whole thing and see what it's all about. I will say that i've done quite well to avoid any spoilers about the game for all these years. :D 

265785_front.jpg

Sorry, @Blade but I still haven't played this game, despite having it on my shelf for well over a year. The game is loved by gamers and critics alike but i've just never felt the desire to play through the game. I dunno if it's because its a Western RPG or that I know the game would be a massive time sink but, whatever the reason is, I have yet to play the game.

60653_front.jpg

This is a weird one. Usually I have played most Nintendo games that are out there and have been released in the UK but this one I have never bothered with. I bought it on release day back in 2005 and to this day I have yet to play it. It's just sat in my GameCube collection for all these years. The game is supposed to be really good and you apparently can see bits of Mario Galaxy in the game. I think what has stopped me playing it is the fact you have to use bongos to play the game, although many would argue that is a reason to play it. :p 

So, are there any games out there that you would love to play but haven't had the opportunity to do so? 

• Thanks 2

xenogears_box_art_001.jpg&client=cbc79c1

16314-suikoden-ii-playstation-front-cove

These two are supposed to be great JRPGs and since I'm a sucker for those I always wanted to play them. I bought Suikoden II for my Vita but never started it (also got the predecessor but the second installment is apparently far superior).

Xenogears is quite expensive to obtain and sadly it hasn't been released on the PSN store, yet. Not sure if I'll ever going to play it unless I resort to some emulation magic.

Conker's_Bad_Fur_Day_Cover.jpg

I really want to know what all the fuzz is about with this one :D It's crazy expensive these days, sadly...same with Xenogears, looks like some alternative means to play are necessary.

61jut9gKTaL._AC_SX430_.jpg

I own the game but never played it. Really want to, though. It's supposed to be weird and I like weird stuff :D

• Like 1

Good shout on Xenogears. I almost included that on my list but didn't want to hog everything for myself. :D 

I own Suikoden 1 and 2 on the Vita but haven't played them. I picked them up when they were 2 quid each.

• Like 1

A couple of old PlayStation games come to mind, PS4 was my first Sony console.

777_front.jpg

I've not had the best track record with Final Fantasy games, I couldn't get into FF6 and regret bothering with FF13. Feel like this is the one I need to play.

2293_front.jpg

After watching the animated series on Netflix and playing Super Castlevania IV on my SNES Mini, I really want to give this a go. A PS4 remaster would be very welcome.

7463_front.jpg

Fancied playing this for ages, definitely buying it if I ever see it in my local retro game store.

566153_front.jpg

Never played a single Uncharted, I'll get this if my PS4 backlog ever ends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So...I’ve only recently dove deeper into gaming in the last year or so, and haven’t been able to play as much as I’d like for personal reasons (in that last year or so more than ever before). However, I have greatly enjoyed finding some footing in the community and grounding myself in some gaming knowledge (mostly through listening to a number of gaming podcasts).

Growing up, I didn’t play too many video games, so the odds of me playing games which are appreciated as “greats” were very, very low. 

This year has been a bit of a conservative effort to play some newer games (such as Horizon Zero Dawn) as well as some older games (such as Mother, Final Fantasy VII, Super Mario World, and Ocarina of Time...which are all older than myself).

I’m hopefully going off to university next year, and so plan to bring a few consoles with me: I plan to get a PS3, as I’ve only really played games for the Wii from that generation, and also plan to get a Switch next summer after my exams are out of the way (I pray to Mario that the Virtual Console is up by then).

I’ve started writing a (very, very long) list of games consisting mainly of games released on either PlayStation or Nintendo consoles, and it’s safe to say that the list is going to be difficult to work my way through, and could take a few years beyond university to complete. I’ve really found that I’ve enjoyed some of the older games (even if they can be difficult to navigate), so I’m planning to start from a series’ first release and continue from there. 

With a lot of unnecessary exposition out of the way (I wonder if this is how George Lucas felt writing the prequels? I’m only kidding. Sort of.), here are some of the games I’m most excited to play from my list.

Metroid Prime

Metroid-Prime.jpg

I greatly enjoyed playing Super Metroid earlier this year, and have had this game recommended to me by quite a few here. I’m really interested to see how the franchise plays out from a first person perspective, compared to the ‘Metroidvania’ platforming of Super Metroid.

Metal Gear Solid

8i2hgv3w6fbx.jpeg

This will be my first step into the franchise, so I figured that it’s best to start from the beginning (especially after being told about how nods to past games are pretty noticeable in its sequels). In particular, I’m interested to see how it’s stealth mechanics hold up after all these years.

The Last of Us

TheLastofUs2.jpg

I’ve only heard good things from fans and friends, and with the sequel only a year or two away, I thought that it would be best to get to grips with the game’s  mechanics to give myself a greater appreciation for Part 2. I also heard that it has a terrific story, so of course I’m looking forward to seeing that play out too!

The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask

zelda_majoras_mask_3d.0.0.jpg

In a weird position with this one, as I haven't completed any other Zelda games, but this is the one which calls to me. Not quite sure why! 

Persona 5

persona5_feature.jpg

Playing Final Fantasy VII has filled me with the confidence to dive much, much deeper into JRPGs (as you’ll see, there are quite a few I want to play). The art style of the Persona series immediately caught my eye, a quick listen to the soundtrack caught my ear (and then some), and a quick look into mechanics and gameplay convinced me that this is definitely a game I want to play.

Xenoblade Chronicles

Xenoblade-Chronocles-3D.jpg

Easy Allies’ Ben Moore, Michael Damiani and Daniel Bloodworth have all testified to the greatness of this game. One of a few games where I’ve listened to the soundtrack before playing the game, but I don’t regret that for a second. Seriously excited to dig into this game’s story!

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

82238d2212bb78e189baaf310869806a_1920_KR

So, to give some context, I rounded out my Studio Ghibli collection last summer. I didn’t know it before, but Ghibli and Miyazaki have me convinced: I love the stories that they’re involved in telling, and the humanity depicted in their art style. This game looks beautiful, supposedly has a great story...pretty easy choice :p

Super Mario 64

238001-ss05.png

So, I only have to play what is supposedly one of the best 3D platformers of all time to give myself some additional context to the 3D Mario games before playing Super Mario Odyssey? Count me in.

Red Dead Redemption

Red-Dead-Redemption-2-1080P-Wallpaper-14

I’ve never played a Rockstar game, and GTA isn’t really my sort of thing, but this is a game I’ve only heard great things about, and it adds some great variety to my list in being a Western, at the very least! :p

Chrono Trigger

chrono-trigger-1.jpg

I heard about this game a whole lot from a cousin growing up, and he played some parts of the soundtrack for me a few times – it was wonderful. I’m really hoping that the SNES version of the game comes to Switch’s Virtual Console (if and when it gets it?), as I heard that some of Frog’s dialogue was changed between the SNES version and the DS version, and that just sounds like a whole lot of fun. 

If any of you have any recommendations (given my situation, odds are, I haven’t played it!) to add to my list, I would greatly appreciate it! 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Star Fox 2 was one of them, but that's actually come out now so...

title.png

This one in English and the first 6 Fire Emblems in English.  There are plenty of others, but those are the big kahunas left for me!

Edited by Dcubed

@Julius Caesar Duuuuuuude. What a list.

Outdated controls might be a problem for a few of those but if you can get past that... strap yourself in.

What I'd give to play Metroid Prime with fresh eyes.

• Thanks 2

On 18/11/2017 at 11:03 AM, dwarf said:

@Julius Caesar Duuuuuuude. What a list.

Outdated controls might be a problem for a few of those but if you can get past that... strap yourself in.

What I'd give to play Metroid Prime with fresh eyes.

Trust me, those few games only scratch the surface!

And thanks for the heads up! I was sort of expecting some outdated controls going into it, to be honest; I loved FFVII’s story when I played it earlier this year, but walking around rooms with a bird’s eye view was an absolute nightmare...

I’ll be sure to post my thoughts on Prime once I’ve played it! :)

Edited by Julius Caesar

There's always gonna be a few games in my list. Sure, it changes over time. Currently, for me, it's...

Terranigma_PAL_release.jpg

Terranigma is always praised as one of the SNES' hidden gems, and that's got me curious. I've actually just started playing this on my modded SNES Mini (Hey, if it gets re-released on Switch, VC or otherwise, I'll happily pay for it), so we'll see how that goes.

53738-romancing-saga-snes-front-cover.jpg

The Romancing SaGa series is another hard to access bunch of SNES games that I want to try. But I can't read Japanese. I might have to rely on a fan translation to play these. But I do love me some SNES RPG goodness.

Digimon-Cyber-Sleuth-9.jpg

I actually have access to Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. @Ugh first aid has a copy and @Dcubed has a PS4 and some of you guys have bigged this game up a lot when it came out that it's made me morbidly curious. Probably not now though, I have some Pokemon to play at the moment.

Fahrenheit_pc_boxart_899.jpg

Farenheit (also known as Indigo Prophecy) is, well not really classed as a masterpiece, not even that good a game. But it's known for having one of the most amazing (and hilarious) plot-related implosions in video games. And that's just something I want to experience at least once.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Julius Caesar said:

Trust me, those few games only scratch the surface!

And thanks for the heads up! I was sort of expecting some outdated controls going into it, to be honest; I loved FFVII’s story when I played it this earlier, but walking around rooms with a bird’s eye view was an absolute nightmare...

I’ll be sure to post my thoughts on Prime once I’ve played it! :)

Another heads up - go into each one with the respect you'd give to a new release. They need room to breathe, especially Prime, which is exceptional. It's been 15 years since that came out yet nothing save Portal competes in the same league.

• Like 1

All of the games. Like, my backlog alone could fill five shelves. So I'll just list games that I'm unlikely to play unless a rerelease is announced.

-Panzer Dragoon series

Panzer_Dragoon_logo.png

Seeing as I never owned a Saturn or a Dreamcast, I feel bad for not ever having played this series. Portuguese forums from a decade ago kept singing its praises along the same breath of Skies of Arcadia, and that's a pretty strong recommendation.

-Shenmue 1 & 2

617THvy13WL._SX466_.jpg

Ditto. I feel like I missed a generation-defining game, and I want to understand the phenomenon of the time.

-Valkyrie Profile

220px-Vpbox.jpg

I played a spin-off from this series for the DS, and it stands as one of my favourite games in that system. I hear the original is a cult classic, and if it follows the same beats as the DS game, I'm sure I'll love it.

-Vagrant Story

Vagrantstorybox.jpg

One of those experimental PS1 RPGs made by Square, nowadays a cult classic. That description alone makes it interesting, and critical acclaim often puts it as one of the best games in the system. I'd like to know how true that is.

-Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

250px-PMTTYD.jpg

I liked Paper Mario, and I keep hearing the sequel blows it out of the water. This is one of the Gamecube games I missed from back in the day, and it's practically a collector's item at this point.

-Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon 1&2

latest?cb=20160412051950&path-prefix=pro

Loved the first one, but never completed it (lacked a memory pak), and never touched the sequel. I'd love to finally cross this one off my bucketlist.

-Tetrisphere

40277-Tetrisphere_(USA)-7.jpg

A cool puzzle game that I also never fully completed. N64 classics are hard to come by.

-Excitebots, Baten Kaitos Origins, among others

Zr04J.png

...*sigh*

And that's all I remember right now.

• Like 2

Another vote for...

566153_front.jpg

Uncharted 4 and the recent standalone look so good, but when I fired up Uncharted 1 I was bored to tears after an hour. I'd like to get through the first three games, but not sure I ever will.

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Another vote for...

566153_front.jpg

Uncharted 4 and the recent standalone look so good, but when I fired up Uncharted 1 I was bored to tears after an hour. I'd like to get through the first three games, but not sure I ever will.

There were parts of Uncharted that I enjoyed, but it is definitely the weakest in the series, imo. 2,3 and 4 are all a noticeable improvement. 2 in particular is such a good game, although I have a major soft spot for 3. 

I'll go back through them all again, one day. 

Sign in to follow this