NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Doom

This should please a few people on here. The latest patch has added gyro aiming to the game.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've just updated DOOM and I'll try out the motion controls a little later. The menu icon has now changed to reflect the boxart, which is what I wanted all along!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just tried out the new controls! OH MY GOD YES!!! They're EXACTLY what I wanted! :D

They work SO damn well! I want these controls for ALL FPS games on Switch! They work just as well as you'd hope they would!

This is how it should've been from the beginning! The only thing that's a bit of a shame is that you can't have the glory kills mapped to a shake of the controller and have gyro aiming at the same time for some silly reason.  Hope they fix that, because that would work very very well if they do... (even if it's mapped to the other Joy-con!)

The game also seems to be running at a higher resolution now too; it's especially noticeable in handheld mode! The text is a lot more readable now :D 

• Like 3

Full update notes! (most important bit is in bold!)

Get ready to blast through demons on-the-go in new ways thanks to a brand-new game update for DOOM, arriving today on Nintendo Switch. With today’s update, we’ve added Motion Aiming to DOOM, a much-requested control option that allows you to utilize the built-in gyroscope of the Joy-Con for more precise aiming. The option can be used in conjunction with traditional aiming using the controller’s analog stick for the perfect blend of immersion and accuracy.

For multiplayer fans, we’ve made it even easier to group up and play with your friends. We’ve added a new party system to DOOM multiplayer, so you can easily get your friends together and throw down with foes.

We know how important the game icon is to Nintendo Switch fans, so we wanted to give ours an upgrade. With today’s update, you’ll now see a shiny new game icon to match the game’s boxart – as seen on the main menu of the Nintendo Switch below. We hope you like it as much as we do.

DOOM SwitchUpdate Icon

Along with the new features, we’ve implemented several fixes to make the game better. Below are the full patch notes of what’s included in the new update:

DOOM for Nintendo Switch: February Patch Notes

New Features!

• Motion Aiming – New control scheme option allows you to tilt the Nintendo Switch for more precise aiming

DOOM SwitchUpdate Tilt

• Multiplayer Parties – Added new party system, making it easier to group up and play with your friends in multiplayer
  • Updated Game Icon – Game icon now matches the DOOM for Nintendo Switch boxart

Improvements

• Increased the average resolution in lower-res areas of the game
  • Implemented CPU optimizations
  • Added Traditional Chinese language support

Fixes

• Fixed an issue that resulted in a possible crash when using the BFG
  • Fixed an issue that caused audio issues while playing
  • Fixed an issue that caused stretched textures to appear in multiplayer
  • Fixed an issue where controls became unresponsive on the game menu
  • Fixed an issue where players may have incorrectly received a ban notice in multiplayer

• Thanks 3

Such a fun game, it deserves more sales, especially so given this ongoing support!

I've always intended to get it but there are other games above it on my list, will definitely pick it up soon though!

Now I'm tempted. Might have to give this a go now that I'll be able to actually aim.

Such a fun game, it deserves more sales, especially so given this ongoing support!
It is on my list, just waiting for the new "tax" law to kick in in my country.

How much did it sell actually?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L21 using Tapatalk

57 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Aww. I actually really liked the original icon.

Lol same.  It was hilariously metal!

Personally much prefer the new icon. Sounds like a great update, I think analog stick + gyro precision aiming is the way to go for console FPS

The post doesn’t mention it but I assume gyro also works with the Pro controller?

I might pick this up when it’s cheap, I do like the motion aiming in Splatoon but that’s deliberately not a very vertical game, would be curious to see how it works in an FPS.

Old Wii style pointer aiming was pretty shite though so pleased it’s not a return to that.

I just got this game and I have to say that this is a brilliant port.

The game's pace isn't at all what I expected. I thought this was supposed to be a super-quick old-school shooter, but I actually found it most playable with a more reserved pace.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this