NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Doom

I just wanted to know, if anyone here happened to have played the game already, or knows of any reviews which mention it:

What are the control options? This is one of the things that for me is a factor in deciding if I'm going to get it tomorrow / soon / at all.

I specifically want the option to switch the stick functions.

Oh here, Arlo's review (it's hilarious watching him play (and enjoy!) something like Doom:

Yeah I'm looking forward to this one.  It was great fun on PC and it's very pick-up-and-play friendly, making it a great fit for on the go demon blasting fun! :D 

I've done some research, I (think I) finally found the info I was looking for. Although the control layouts aren't ideal, at least there's one that has the sticks switched.

So I have decided to get this. I'm not sure if I'm able to get it today, but if I am.. Who's here getting it today? Maybe some multiplayer games tonight (or tomorrow) could be fun.

Bought it on the way into work this morning. Looking forward to giving it a blast as I’m getting a little bored of Mario.

Its a shame its capped at 30fps. Its one of the few games where I notice stuff like that with the speed that you play it. Were the other console versions also 30?

8 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Its a shame its capped at 30fps. Its one of the few games where I notice stuff like that with the speed that you play it. Were the other console versions also 30?

Nah. They were 60fps.

Some argued that Destiny had a “cinematic feel” as it was 30fps... maybe this’ll be true of Doom too. ::shrug:

Edited by Kav

Just hammered out the first section after the opening on my commute: it’s fast, frantic, mindless slaughter - great fun!

Nice change of pace after Mario.

7 minutes ago, Kav said:

Just hammered out the first section after the opening on my commute: it’s fast, frantic, mindless slaughter - great fun!

Nice change of pace after Mario.

You'll have to try the online out. I'm intrigued to know if you can play against random players with your friends, as well as wanting to know just how easy it is join them in a game or lobby.

• Like 1

To be fair, the online isn’t really worth it on other platforms so if it’s limited on the Switch it won’t be a massive loss.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get it today. I'm hoping I'm able to get it tomorrow. Lookimng forward to some online battles though.

15 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

To be fair, the online isn’t really worth it on other platforms so if it’s limited on the Switch it won’t be a massive loss.

Given the lack of shooters on the Switch, I'm hoping it can carve out a niche audience, similar to what the CoD games done on the Wii and Wii U.

• Like 1

Really trying to convince myself I don’t need to pick this up yet and that if I want to get a third party game I should get Skyrim.

Ah, so I was right. EA didn't bother. Well then. Time to whack out this badly delivered line again.

• Like 1

Damn it, was just going to say “but ea weren’t being lazy with fifa were they....?”

I never understood why Nintendo got as much blame as EA for the FIFA debacle, when games with development teams as small as five people had managed to implement playing with friends online. I'm really tempted to get Doom this weekend but can't really afford it, will have to wait until after I've got all my Xmas presents sorted.

Just watched the video and they are right, the port seems to be impressive but at the same time be a bit of a mess. On the one hand it's great they've managed to do what they've done but on the other hand it's shows just how rough 3rd party games are going to be if ported from the other systems.

• Like 1

I’m still undecided about which version to get. :hmm: Part of me really wants to get it on Switch, but a more sensible part of me thinks I should get it for PS4. If the map editor wasn’t cut from the Switch version it’d be a slightly easier choice. Having said that, I’d also have to pick up a micro SD card right now to play it on Switch, obviously have to get one at some point regardless, but I’m trying to delay that purchase in order to get a better deal on a higher capacity card. 

At this rate I’ll just end up skipping Doom completely... ::shrug:

12 minutes ago, RedShell said:

I’m still undecided about which version to get. :hmm: Part of me really wants to get it on Switch, but a more sensible part of me thinks I should get it for PS4. If the map editor wasn’t cut from the Switch version it’d be a slightly easier choice. Having said that, I’d also have to pick up a micro SD card right now to play it on Switch, obviously have to get one at some point regardless, but I’m trying to delay that purchase in order to get a better deal on a higher capacity card. 

At this rate I’ll just end up skipping Doom completely... ::shrug:

I suppose it depends on how much you want to play it undocked. Seems a bit daft buying it for £40 when you already have a console that can play a better version of the game for around £10.

Sign in to follow this