NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

Concrete Genie (PS4)

Concrete Genie is a game about a bullied teenager named Ash, who escapes his troubles by painting spectacular living landscapes and mischievous creatures throughout his abandoned hometown of Denska. As he masters this magical paint, he discovers it can purify Denska’s polluted walls. Can Ash overcome the bullies and paint his hometown back to life?

This looks beautiful, can't wait to play. Looks like a Media Molecule type of game.

10 hours ago, Jimbob said:

It's got inFamous-type vibes to it.

Is it because the main character has stole Delsin's beanie? :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Is it because the main character has stole Delsin's beanie? :D

Shhh......maybe.

A release date has finally been announced: this'll be out on October 9th in Europe (October 8th in North America. Not sure why there's a day discrepancy) and it'll release at  £24.99/€29.99 with a digital deluxe version on the PS Store for £34.99/€39.99. Full run down on things courtesy of the PS blog here.

Looking forward to this. Was worried that the radio silence bad meant it had slid a bit but with press seemingly getting hands on with it (going by discussions from the Kinda Funny crew) I'm glad that it isn't too far away now. And a nice price point as well. That and Medieval for the equivalent of one game, yes please. Should make it a little lighter on the wallet that's for sure.

Edited by Ganepark32
  • Like 1

Time to dust off my PS4 for this. Wasn't expecting it to be such a budget price, I wonder if that's a reflection of the quality/content or just them realising it wouldn't sell to the PS4 demographic at full price.

It's nice to see a release date for this, more so this year.  There's not a lot left to get on PS4 (for me anyway) this year, and this is one of the games.  It's next year that'll be busy again PS4-wise.

This popped through my letter box today. I've been on it pretty must non-stop all afternoon and this evening and have completed the game and got the platinum.

EGYdcjPW4AADr_i.jpg

Fantastic game. It's amazing what the developers have pulled off here when you consider their last game was Entwined and this is only their second outing. It's a huge step up for. Well done to them.

The story of the game is quite dark but also heartwarming at the same time. You play as a young boy named Ash who lives in a small town called Denska. This town has been ravaged by a disaster and left it in a state of ruin where nobody really wants to live anymore. To make matters worse, Ash is getting bullied by come of the local kids and it's here where the story takes shape. It's was nice to see the bullies be both male and female. Too often you see males as the only ones portrayed in this kind of role and it was a nice surprise to see this wasn't the case here. What was also nice to see was how the game gives glimpses as to why the kids are acting out in the way that they are and you do feel sympathy for them...if only a little.

The gameplay may hold your hand a little too much for some people's liking ( there's not much challenge to the game ) but I didn't mind it one bit. I was quite surprised how simplistic the game was in the first two thirds of the adventure. You are basically walking around lighting up areas in order to progress to the next one. You do this by using your paintbrush to illuminate various light bulbs that are kicking about the place. Some require a little help from your genie crew but it's nothing too taxing. The final third of the game really mixes things up and completely changes the game plays.

Visually the game is stunning. It has a certain stop-motion animation feel to it all and I couldn't help but compare it to something like Kubo and the Two Strings. It's obviously not on that level but the way the characters are animated, especially during the cutscenes, certainly reminded me of that great film. It's not just the stop-motion look that looks great either. The lighting used for the things you draw, as well as the genies, is really top notch and it helps bring the dull town of Denska to life.

The creativity side of the game allows you to play around with as much or as little of the options as you would like. You can sit a make the most amazing and creative genie you can think of. The game gives you plenty of options to do so. Or you can be a boring sod like me and just pick a standard genie and get on with your business. :D It really makes no difference to the gameplay but it does allow for players to customise their adventure.

The game is just the right length, with the main campaign being around 5-6 hours long. There were a couple of more hours added on top of that in order to find everything that the game had to offer. There is also free DLC in the way of a VR mode that I have yet to try out. This also comes with a few extra trophies to obtain so i'll be giving that a go tomorrow.

There's also the added bonus of the game being released at a nice budget price. The asking price is £25 which is a bargain when you consider that what you are getting here is a complete package, with no scummy practices like lootboxes or microtransactions to be seen. It's nice that Sony has priced the game at such a low point, much like they've done in the past with things Ratchet and Clank and Shadow of the Colossus. Sadly, despite the bargain price and how good the game is, I do suspect that this won't perform very well at all. I've not seen much buzz about the game and looking at my PS4 friends list shows that people on there aren't interested in it either. Everyone seems to be playing FIFA. :( While I do appreciate that this is an exclusive game, I can't help but feel it would have suited the Switch audience far batter than the Playstation one. Here's hoping i'm wrong...

This year has already been a bit of a killer for amazing games and this just gets added to the list of my favourite games of the year. If you want a well priced game, that is full of charm, a laid back adventure that isn't taxing on your time and a game that is a complete package, then get out there and pick this up. :peace:

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 2

I forgot about this, it seems Playstation are sending another game like this out to die, yet again. Seriously, why no promotion? Would it really kill them, it's not like they've had much else releasing this year.

Would have done well on Switch, maybe it'll be ported. I'm not sure if Pixel Opus are a PS studio. Certainly a beautiful looking game

Edited by Ronnie

Played about 1/2 hour earlier before work, i'm liking it so far.  Nice to have another game that uses some of the PS4 controller features, and as HoT said, this is only the 2nd game for this developer.  And it's a step up from what i've seen of it so far, no complaints here.

• Like 2

Ordered it... :D I can't really afford it but then, it's £21.45 after discount, it seems like a reasonably priced, decent single player game from a new developer who I'd like to support.

Plus it looks wonderful, it might just be the game to help get me out of this gaming rut I've been feeling like I've been stuck in for ages now.

I really hope this does well. :peace:

• Like 1

Time to raise this thread from the dead :D

Started it just now, played the first 30 minutes
It's gorgeous :o

Other than that: Seems fairly simple. Haven't done much aside from learning how to create paintings/genies.

Had a smile on my face all the time. The characters are lovely (not the bullies, of course) and it's just a joy to see them interact with everything and each other.

• Like 1

Decided to stop playing this for now.

It's a lovely game but not what I'm looking for right now. I'll leave this for another time :) 

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Decided to stop playing this for now.

It's a lovely game but not what I'm looking for right now. I'll leave this for another time :) 

I should be mad at this but seeing as you're eyeing up Kingdom Hearts I'll let it slide....for now. :p 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I should be mad at this but seeing as you're eyeing up Kingdom Hearts I'll let it slide....for now. :p 

Yeah, yeah. I'll play it eventually. :p

Having played through what feels like three quarters of this, I can see why Sony sent it out to die. It's really not much of anything tbh. The puzzles are almost offensively simple and beyond the nifty painting mechanic, there just isn't much here. Nice visuals but otherwise, quite a let down.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this