Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

Ghost of Tsushima (PS4/PS5)

Here's the State of Play.

The game looks absolutely phenomenal. 

Edited by Julius

Just now, Julius said:

The game looks absolutely phenomenal. 

Indeed. Not just visually, it also looks like a joy to play. Seems like the gameplay actually fits the setting and atmosphere. :)

7 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Indeed. Not just visually, it also looks like a joy to play. Seems like the gameplay actually fits the setting and atmosphere. :)

100%! Don't think it took more than two strikes to take out any of those enemies - will probably be a different sort of case for bosses (?), but it just adds to the realism and immersion.

Having a variety of ways to take everything on, in this case as Samurai or Ghost, is something I am always all for. The way the world (with the wind!) and it's wildlife guide you is going to be great.

The Photo Mode is stupidly detailed. The customisation options are plentiful. Giving us the chance to choose our dub preferences at the beginning is wonderful.The Samurai Cinema mode with the film grain and black and white filter looks incredible. The fact that they've put years into making the game look as vibrant and varied as it does in colour emphasises just how much this team clearly has a passion for the samurai films of old. 

Oh man, I'm so stupidly excited for this! What a way for the PS4 to bow out (at least in terms of exclusives)!

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Looks incredible, love the black and white cinema option with Japanese voice overs. Music sounds awesome also.

Shiiiiiit, this looks fantastic. That black and white mode is an ace addition. Hnnnggggg.

giphy.gif

It's obviously impressive but I actually find myself less excited for it after watching the State of Play. I must have known it was open world before tonight but the resource collection in particular just killed my interest. Maybe it's because I just played through Death Stranding but open world doesn't seem too appealing at the moment, I'll probably get around to playing Tsushima eventually but I'm more interested in playing The Last of Us at the moment.

30 minutes ago, killthenet said:

It's obviously impressive but I actually find myself less excited for it after watching the State of Play. I must have known it was open world before tonight but the resource collection in particular just killed my interest. Maybe it's because I just played through Death Stranding but open world doesn't seem too appealing at the moment, I'll probably get around to playing Tsushima eventually but I'm more interested in playing The Last of Us at the moment.

I'm kind of with you. It looks impressive certainly but the gameplay in the openworld seems a bit hit and miss from what little we see here. I don't think it helped having them show 5 minutes getting to a shrine and then "Press R2 to honour shrine", a progress bar fills up and you walk away. 

Combat looks great though and it's visually stunning.

Only thing I want from this game: Black and white option with red blood. GIVE ME THEM FRANK MILLER VIBES :D 

This really looks fantastic, glad to see the Japanese audio track too (seemed really strange to me that they were using English voices as the default). It's nice to see Sony providing such strong support for their console right at the end of the generation.

It's pretty crazy that we're getting both The Last of Us 2 and this game so soon. It's an incredibly strong end to the PS4's lifecycle.

I'm tempted to jump on board as the game looks fantastic, but a part of me is tempted to wait until the PS5 comes out so it looks a bit prettier and I don't have to worry about my PS4 sounding like it's about to take off. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

It's pretty crazy that we're getting both The Last of Us 2 and this game so soon. It's an incredibly strong end to the PS4's lifecycle.

I'm tempted to jump on board as the game looks fantastic, but a part of me is tempted to wait until the PS5 comes out so it looks a bit prettier and I don't have to worry about my PS4 sounding like it's about to take off. 

I think it's definitely worth waiting for PS5. It'll be boosted at the very least, and possibly even get a full upgrade for PS5 if they decide to release a PS5 version.

Watched the State of Play for this this morning and it looked gorgeous. Visually, Sucker Punch have done a fantastic job bringing that world to life as it looks so vibrant and lush. The combat looked visceral and I love how they're using less intrusive signposting for exploration of the island. It's such a small touch but losing the golden/bread trail for going to quest markers and locations and having it be that you need to use environmental cues, wildlife and the wind to find your way is such an obvious but nicely done piece of game design.

It's looking great but I do have some slight handups about whether it'll be an island full of bandit camps and checklists and hopefully further info in the coming weeks will dispel that notion. I don't mind the occasional bandit camp but making them a bit more meaningful than the standard Far Cry trope would be great and even better would be to build up stronger story/side missions to give more reasoning behind then being there. Hopefully it won't be the standard open world trope there and be something a bit more engrossing (and this is something that I hope that both the Horizon and Spiderman sequels take note of too).

Can't wait to play though. I can already hear the sound of my PS4 at the mere thought of playing this.

Edit: Also, that black and white Samurai Cinema mode. God damn that got me going. I don't know if I'd play the whole thing like that but I'm so tempted to play some of it that way. I instantly went to things like Rashomon when I saw that and its just such an awesome inclusion.

Edited by Ganepark32

3 hours ago, Ganepark32 said:

Watched the State of Play for this this morning and it looked gorgeous. Visually, Sucker Punch have done a fantastic job bringing that world to life as it looks so vibrant and lush. The combat looked visceral and I love how they're using less intrusive signposting for exploration of the island. It's such a small touch but losing the golden/bread trail for going to quest markers and locations and having it be that you need to use environmental cues, wildlife and the wind to find your way is such an obvious but nicely done piece of game design.

It's looking great but I do have some slight handups about whether it'll be an island full of bandit camps and checklists and hopefully further info in the coming weeks will dispel that notion. I don't mind the occasional bandit camp but making them a bit more meaningful than the standard Far Cry trope would be great and even better would be to build up stronger story/side missions to give more reasoning behind then being there. Hopefully it won't be the standard open world trope there and be something a bit more engrossing (and this is something that I hope that both the Horizon and Spiderman sequels take note of too).

Can't wait to play though. I can already hear the sound of my PS4 at the mere thought of playing this.

Edit: Also, that black and white Samurai Cinema mode. God damn that got me going. I don't know if I'd play the whole thing like that but I'm so tempted to play some of it that way. I instantly went to things like Rashomon when I saw that and its just such an awesome inclusion.

The openworld is the biggest question mark for me too. It's a problem I had with Spider-Man, just how cookie cutter and dated the the world felt with meaningless towers, checkboxes and repeated encounters. This one seems really empty which is fine but even points of interest like shrines don't seem to be up to much beyond "press R2 to get an experience point".

11 hours ago, drahkon said:

Only thing I want from this game: Black and white option with red blood. GIVE ME THEM FRANK MILLER VIBES :D 

I was thinking this exact same thing! :laughing:

The black and white mode looks awesome, but I wonder if I'd have to play the game twice, with maybe the second run through being the black and white one. The game looks beautiful, so I wouldn't want to miss out on that.

1 hour ago, Map said:

Two new combat videos

More info here

Looks fantastic. Feel like the combat shows much better in these videos than in the dedicated State of Play. 

Cannot wait! 

• Thanks 1

Oh god, that looks so pretty. Combat looks incredibly satisfying, too. Hnnnnnngggg.

I'm still very much interested in getting this, to me, it looks like the game which I wanted Sekiro to be, except this has the potential to be better.

After watching that short video clip a few times over, while reading the interview with the developer on the article, the gameplay mechanics seem very promising.

Everything about this game, from the setting, general theme, visuals and sound design just seems like it resonates with me, and I have enjoyed Sucker Punch games a lot.

Ghost of Tsushima might well be a day one purchase.

I forgot this came out next month so it was a nice surprise. Had it preordered since last year.

The usual PlayStation CG trailer looks brilliant as ever. Looking forward to this!

• Thanks 1

There's something about this game that does it for me. That trailer...it just looks amazing.

I'm in two minds whether to get it now or wait until the PS5 shows up before going for it. That's a long time to wait though and I'm weak.

Launch trailer:

Hype is really starting to kick in ahead of Friday, and I am very much in the mood for an open world game right now. Confident that they'll deliver, but it honestly feels like we've still seen so little at this point!

Reviews have just dropped.

Currently sitting at an 84 on Metacritic after 48 reviews. 

Edited by Julius

Sign in to follow this