NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Nintendo Q2 Financial Results

The latest financial results are starting to pop up. RE is starting to post them now and this is what we have so far.

Nintendo Switch 
Hardware: 2.93 million for the quarter/ 7.3 million LTD
Software: 13.98 million for the quarter/ 27.58 million LTD
 (Only counts Digital software that has a retail version)

3DS 
Hardware: 1.91 million for the quarter/ 68.98 million LTD
Software: 7.97 million for the quarter/ 343.07 million LTD

2nd Quarter Results

Hardware Sales

Software Sales

The Switch forecast for the end of the fiscal year has now been increased from 10 million to 14 million. 

Splatoon 2 has had a crazy good start and i'm happy to see that ARMS seems to have been a success for them. 

Just now, Blade said:

Switch may pass Wii U's lifetime sales in its first year!

Yup. It would be hilarious if that happens. :D  As much as I enjoyed the software on the Wii U, the Switch just highlights just what a bomb it was for Nintendo.

• Like 1

Great to see ARMS has sold over a million, hopefully they continue to support and, more importantly, we get more new IP as well :)

• Like 1

1-2 Switch doing 1.37 millions units must have made them an absolute killing when you consider it probably cost about a fiver to produce.

• Haha 6

Very strong results, they must be confident in their supply line to increase their target from 10m to 14 mil. Crazy if it can sell that many in 12 months, isn't that what the PS4 sold its first year??

Only sad news is that Metroid hadn't hit 1 million, which is a shame if not totally surprising. Would have sold far more had it been on Switch and I suspect we'll see a port at some point.

As for amiibo....
2016: 3.8m figure, 1.7m card
2017: 5.1m figure, 2.8m card

Yeah they're not going anywhere!

Just saw this posted on RE: "Took WiiU 21 months to do what Switch did in 7. Wii did it in 6. " wow

Edited by Ronnie

(Almost) Everything seems to trucking along nicely.  Only surprising thing here is the lack of legs for ARMS.  It seems to have fallen off a bit of a cliff...

Pokemon S/M is only 290k away from beating X/Y and becoming the first ever Pokemon generation to outsell the previous gen on the same console... Too bad US/UM will stop that from happening :heh:

Edited by Dcubed

Regarding ARMS, I think the Q2 sales are pretty disappointing. Seems it didn't have the... LEGS (sorry) one might have hoped.

I remember the board being really into it on release, then it dropped off completely. I picked it up at the same time as Splatoon 2, and obviously largely ignored it. After getting burned out by Splatoon 2, I took it for a spin and it is a fantastic game. Easily one of the most unique and rewarding fighters I've played in a long time. I'm getting to grips with it now and trying out different characters (Twintelle is my main). I'm still surprised by the depth and how each fighter is drastically different from the rest. Yes, it's lacking in content a bit (still), even if the online is up there with Nintendo's best efforts.

Here's what I'd do with the game: keep releasing content (maybe at a quicker pace), keep updating the roster, add a couple of new modes / stages / options, integrate the online app for stats and voice chat and that will keep the early adopters happy and the community playing. Then, on update 6 / 7, whatever we're on during a quiet patch next year, re-release the game with new packaging and a $10/£10 price drop, with the latest version on the cartridge. A little marketing campaign could push it further, and they could highlight the fact the game is packed with content, which was one of the main criticisms on launch. The game deserves to be played by more people and I am APPALLED that 1-2 Switch managed to out-sell it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

Regarding ARMS, I think the Q2 sales are pretty disappointing. Seems it didn't have the... LEGS (sorry) one might have hoped.

I remember the board being really into it on release, then it dropped off completely. I picked it up at the same time as Splatoon 2, and obviously largely ignored it. After getting burned out by Splatoon 2, I took it for a spin and it is a fantastic game. Easily one of the most unique and rewarding fighters I've played in a long time. I'm getting to grips with it now and trying out different characters (Twintelle is my main). I'm still surprised by the depth and how each fighter is drastically different from the rest. Yes, it's lacking in content a bit (still), even if the online is up there with Nintendo's best efforts.

Here's what I'd do with the game: keep releasing content (maybe at a quicker pace), keep updating the roster, add a couple of new modes / stages / options, integrate the online app for stats and voice chat and that will keep the early adopters happy and the community playing. Then, on update 6 / 7, whatever we're on during a quiet patch next year, re-release the game with new packaging and a $10/£10 price drop, with the latest version on the cartridge. A little marketing campaign could push it further, and they could highlight the fact the game is packed with content, which was one of the main criticisms on launch. The game deserves to be played by more people and I am APPALLED that 1-2 Switch managed to out-sell it.

The problem is that Splatoon 2 was released. ARMS needed more breathing room to be allowed to grow but once Splatoon 2 arrived it was pretty much game over. Had it had a chance to stand on its own I think it would have done a lot better. Even before it was released I seen many saying they weren't bothering with it as they were just holding off until Splatoon arrived.

Yeah they should have spaced those two releases out far more. I didn't actually pick up either, even though I was tempted by both, Splatoon more so.

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Slightly related to the earnings report, the Switch has now passed 300,000 units sold in the UK.

I saw a bloke playing Odyssey on the train yesterday, think he was in the Cap Kingdom and was playing as a frog (sigh, I know too much)

Just now, Ronnie said:

I saw a bloke playing Odyssey on the train yesterday, think he was in the Cap Kingdom and was playing as a frog (sigh, I know too much)

Get it bought and played you crazy fool.

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The problem is that Splatoon 2 was released. ARMS needed more breathing room to be allowed to grow but once Splatoon 2 arrived it was pretty much game over. Had it had a chance to stand on its own I think it would have done a lot better. Even before it was released I seen many saying they weren't bothering with it as they were just holding off until Splatoon arrived.

Yeah, that's why I didn't pick it up at launch. I only did so because I had an Amazon voucher. It's a shame, but they must've expected it putting them so close together. I just don't know if there's much point, from a financial standpoint, in continuing to support a game with a low player base. Unless of course the content is already largely ready to go.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Get it bought and played you crazy fool.

Next Monday. I have next week off and am traveling a lot that weekend. Finishing off Steamworld today and will give Thimbleweed Park a run to tide me over till then

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Great to see ARMS has sold over a million, hopefully they continue to support and, more importantly, we get more new IP as well :)

Will be interesting as those sales were heavily front loaded and it was over a mil early on. 

ARMS is think was at 1.15 mil months ago so its only done about 200k in Q2. 

Not sure it's shown enough legs. 

I didn't get as single player content seemed light to me. 

Edited by liger05

I didn't bother with ARMs either as single player didn't look to being much. I opted for Splatoon 2 instead.

Arms is an amazing games, but yeah, Splatoon 2 killed it dead a bit, Ill definitely get back to it though at some point, haven't played Lola pop or looked at the badges yet

0Qwwfb.jpg

No wonder they're still making games for the 3DS!

9K2R8M.jpg

Interesting, so just under two thirds of Switch owners are over 20

26 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

0Qwwfb.jpg

No wonder they're still making games for the 3DS!

9K2R8M.jpg

Interesting, so just under two thirds of Switch owners are over 20

Or it just means that that age demographic are more likely to fill out a questionnaire??  I never trust this type of information without knowing the full statistical picture.

• Like 3

Super Mario Run has hit the 200 million mark for downloads.

Although we have not yet reached an acceptable profit point

:eek:

Huh? :heh:

5 hours ago, RedShell said:

:eek:

Huh? :heh:

It means that a lot of people downloaded it but almost none bought the full game.

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

It means that a lot of people downloaded it but almost none bought the full game.

But “almost none” of 200 million is probably still quite a lot. :heh: Seems crazy to say they haven’t reached an acceptable profit. Makes me wonder what the hell the budget was for it. :blank:

Maybe they only reluctantly put a Mario platformer on mobile because they thought it would make crazy money to keep their investors happy, but in the end didn't.

Sign in to follow this