NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Shin Megami Tensei V (Switch)

Gameplay trailer that went up on the Atlus West Youtube channel yesterday is now on the Nintendo UK channel, too.

Story trailer from the Atlus West profile as it is age-restricted on the Nintendo page so might not play directly on the forum.

I'm surprised to see they kept the Tokyo Mirage Sessions UI, I definitely thought that would just be a placeholder. In regards to the game I'm really on the fence havingg loved TMS but I got SMT3 a few months back and enjoyed it initially but hit a road block pretty early on (some pirate skeleton) and it has put me off a bit. 

6 minutes ago, Josh64 said:

I'm surprised to see they kept the Tokyo Mirage Sessions UI, I definitely thought that would just be a placeholder. In regards to the game I'm really on the fence havingg loved TMS but I got SMT3 a few months back and enjoyed it initially but hit a road block pretty early on (some pirate skeleton) and it has put me off a bit. 

matador-nocturne.gif

I haven't even played III, and even I know about Matador and it's crazy difficulty spike. It's one of the most infamous fights in the series.

For what it's worth, SMT IV was probably the easiest the series has been so far. (It's still tougher then TMS, mind)

But it was manageable, because you always had the option to change difficulty (A feature I'm sure is staying for this entry). It was a good balance.

Just make sure you have access to some buffing magic ASAP, because they'll make your life a million times easier in these games. They're really important for boss fights.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

matador-nocturne.gif

I haven't even played III, and even I know about Matador and it's crazy difficulty spike. It's one of the most infamous fights in the series.

For what it's worth, SMT IV was probably the easiest the series has been so far. (It's still tougher then TMS, mind)

But it was manageable, because you always had the option to change difficulty (A feature I'm sure is staying for this entry). It was a good balance.

Just make sure you have access to some buffing magic ASAP, because they'll make your life a million times easier in these games. They're really important for boss fights.

I'm getting PTSD from this gif :laughing: It didn't help that the last save point before him was a few corridors away from the actual battle so I always had to slog through enemies before getting there. In defence of SMT3 they did have the option to lower the difficulty but I didn't out of stubbornness having spent the first 10 hours on normal, alas I had finally lost steam by the time I thought maybe I should drop down a level. 

And thanks I will, after the fight with the TMS Shadow Dragon in the arena I know how obsessed this series can be with buffing and debuffing lol

I most likely will still pick this up but I think I will wait a bit until it's a bit less than the standard 49.99!

Looks like a new edition of the game is coming. Gematsu are reporting that Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance has been rated in Korea. I know that there has been a rumour going for a while now that a complete edition would be getting released on Switch, PS4 and PC. This looks to be it.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Looks like a new edition of the game is coming. Gematsu are reporting that Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance has been rated in Korea. I know that there has been a rumour going for a while now that a complete edition would be getting released on Switch, PS4 and PC. This looks to be it.

A little annoyed, because I just played through that 4 times recently.

Secretly hoping it's more in the vein of SMT IV: Apocalypse with that kind of title. I would totally be up for for a Majora's Mask style seperate game with recycled assets!

Here we have it: coming to everything else (and Switch, again) on June 21st. 

Venture back into a post-apocalyptic Tokyo with an all-new storyline featuring new locations, demons, and choices to make in Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance.

• Thanks 1

5KqgwJe.png

So... from what I can gather, this is essentially an updated version of the original SMT5, but with an additional story path that becomes available partway through.  It's not an asset-reuse sequel like SMT4 Apocalypse was.

Ooh... @Glen-i's not gonna be happy about this...

Edited by Dcubed

More details on Vengeance:

These details are a summary of yesterday's Vengeance Spotlight stream:

Essentially - and it's not exactly a new perspective to have if you've followed their releases over the last couple of years - if you don't want the least definitive version of an Atlus game, don't pick it up at launch and be willing to wait 2-3 years for a definitive version. 

Which absolutely sucks. At least for Persona 3 Reload they had the decency to add that stuff as DLC (that's not confirmed but leaked, mind you, so that's not been communicated yet), but SMT V and Persona 5 have both now had definitive editions with content not made available through other means. 

3 hours ago, Julius said:

if you don't want the least definitive version of an Atlus game, don't pick it up at launch and be willing to wait 2-3 years for a definitive version. 

And yet, that didn't happen for SMT IV, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, or Radiant Historia. I don't think I'm to blame for thinking it would be more of a Persona thing.

Granted, the other two did get updated ports, but at least they were on different consoles.

Anyway, I'm not paying for the "privilege" of starting a fresh file of a game I already have on my Switch. Atlus can get stuffed with that nonsense.

23 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

And yet, that didn't happen for SMT IV, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, or Radiant Historia. I don't think I'm to blame for thinking it would be more of a Persona thing.

To be clear, I wasn't trying to call you or anyone else out as not thinking ahead by saying that, so I'm sorry if it did come off that way – more highlighting how utterly bonkers it is that Atlus and SEGA are getting away with some increasingly anti-consumer moves, like Atlus with this and Persona 5, or what SEGA recently did with NG+ and some other content being locked behind a certain (more costly) edition of Infinite Wealth. 

33 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Anyway, I'm not paying for the "privilege" of starting a fresh file of a game I already have on my Switch. Atlus can get stuffed with that nonsense.

Totally get that, and totally agree that Atlus can get stuffed when it comes to this sort of thing :peace:

• Thanks 1

So let me get this straight, this is just an updated version of the original SMT V?

Which part of this couldn't have been DLC?

Edited by Jonnas

38 minutes ago, Julius said:

To be clear, I wasn't trying to call you or anyone else out as not thinking ahead by saying that, so I'm sorry if it did come off that way

Don't be daft. Didn't read that way at all—there are exceptions to everything; it was clear what you were getting at. @Glen-i'd be all over Pokémon doing this (Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, etc) and now he'll post irrefutable evidence to the contrary.

SMT V came out around the time of the Matrix Resurrections. Me, I grabbed it shortly thereafter in January because I was worried it was already on the verge of becoming scarce. I don't mind being pulled up on this as I only have (mainline) SMT III, IV (original) and V but they didn't seem to do a "Royal" version of these before, so I always reckoned a definitive edition of V would extend no further than going multiplatform + DLC bundle. Vengeance is a surprise to be sure as they're showing they have the cheek to repackage it with added story (as much as SMT has a story). But now you see it, it's obvious. It's 2024, and a lot of releases have gone under the bridge so those million-plus Switch fans might well be ready to go again.

My heart says yes, my head sees the hours required and says wise the bap.

3 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Which part of this couldn't have been DLC?

The new part. ::shrug: 

4 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

@Glen-i'd be all over Pokémon doing this (Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, etc) and now he'll post irrefutable evidence to the contrary.

Pokemon stopped doing this last generation. And before the 3DS, doing it via DLC wasn't possible. It's not a good sign when Pokémon is ahead of you in this regard.

It also differs because SMT hasn't really set it as a precedent to expect. This is Atlus pulling shenanigans because Persona players eat this stuff up.

8 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

It also differs because SMT hasn't really set it as a precedent to expect. This is Atlus pulling shenanigans because Persona players eat this stuff up.

For example, they already did Strange Journey Redux—a mainline game in all but number—which you neglected to mention. But maybe because it's not on the same console it doesn't count? As a company, they have given us updated Etrian Odyssey's with story modes added to originally pretty storyless games, though again, not on the same console.

SMT is the main series and Persona is the spinoff with runaway success so there isn't inherently any shame in taking a leaf out of its book if it keeps the relatively niche main series ticking over. Just because you didn't get on SMT V years ago. 

10 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

It's not a good sign when Pokémon is ahead of you in this regard.

This we can agree on. For anything.

56 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

But maybe because it's not on the same console it doesn't count?

This is the rub. If it was for the next Switch, then I'd be very much "Eh, whatever", but it's the fact that people who bought the original don't get any option to upgrade other then paying full price and starting from scratch, even though it's on the same console.

6 hours ago, darksnowman said:

For example, they already did Strange Journey Redux—a mainline game in all but number—which you neglected to mention. But maybe because it's not on the same console it doesn't count? As a company, they have given us updated Etrian Odyssey's with story modes added to originally pretty storyless games, though again, not on the same console.

Strange Journey Redux was a remake though, not released for the same console.

The mainline SMT series has only ever pulled this stunt once before, with SMT 3 Maniax (and that was also a unique case of an enhanced international version being back ported to Japan; since we never got the vanilla version at all in the west).  I can understand not expecting them to do this with SMT 5, especially with DLC now being an option too.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Glen-i said:

This is the rub. If it was for the next Switch, then I'd be very much "Eh, whatever", but it's the fact that people who bought the original don't get any option to upgrade other then paying full price and starting from scratch, even though it's on the same console.

Fair play because I wouldn't give Pokémon an inch in this regard either... but it's the biggest thing in the world and should be held to a standard reflecting that.

I'm one of the people who bought the original SMT V and I think more SMT in any form (on Switch) is a good thing. So it looks like you're just bitter about Vengeance as a late adopter of a not-evergreen title, as is your wont. That's the way the cookie crumbles as, for instance, I put off getting MK 8 DX thinking a new one had to be imminent.

Sure you can "eh, whatever" it soon enough on your souped-up backwards-compatible Switch successor and it'll be the same diff. 

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Strange Journey Redux was a remake though, not released for the same console.

The mainline SMT series has only ever pulled this stunt once before, with SMT 3 Maniax (and that was also a unique case of an enhanced international version being back ported to Japan; since we never got the vanilla version at all in the west).  I can understand not expecting them to do this with SMT 5, especially with DLC now being an option too.

So we all agree Atlus has previous in this area. With and without SMT in one way or another. Late 2021-mid 2024 isn't a bad stretch for SMT V—longer than IV to IV: Apocalypse which I easily disregarded.

Be less favourable if they took Vengeance multiplatform and left Switch as is. If it was DLC and this definitive edition elsewhere, I'd personally dismiss it as something for a rainy day (perhaps you two wouldn't) but because it's a "new" game for everyone, I'm a bit torn for some reason this time. Not that it's an exact science because there are a couple of games I sometimes wish had DLC expansions that don't.

The release of Vengeance has been moved up one week from 21st June 2024 to 14th June 2024. 

The release date of "Shin Megami Tensei V Vengeance" will be changed as follows.

Before change: Friday, June 21, 2024

After change: Friday, June 14, 2024

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thank you for your continued support.

Posted (edited)

Gotta get out of Elden Ring's DLC blast radius I suppose...

... can't help but feel that one week isn't enough distance though for such a long game.  They'd probably be better off delying the game by two weeks instead of pulling it forward by one.

Edited by Dcubed

Sign in to follow this