NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Shin Megami Tensei V (Switch)

Today, Atlus announced that the new Shin Megami Tensei game for Switch is actually Shin Megami Tensei V. The news was just shared during a brief live stream held by the company’s Japanese YouTube account.

• Thanks 2

Nice to have re-confirmation that it’s a Switch exclusive.  Dunno why they were being coy about it.

Speaking of which, I dunno why they were being coy with the name either :heh:

Looks a bit more Persona/TMS esc than previous games.

Atlus were asked why the game is on the Switch.

Atlus decided on going with the Nintendo Switch so that fans can enjoy the game’s story in HD at home on their TVs, while playing portable or tabletop mode to put in the grind to level up and fuse demons at the comfort of your own bed.

It makes sense, I mean, there was a big outcry from Persona 5 fans to get the game on the Switch for this very reason, especially as many loved the portability of the Vita version of Persona 4.

Yep, turn-based RPG's are better to play on a portable device. I mean, why do you think Pokemon does so well?

On 10/23/2017 at 5:06 PM, Dcubed said:

Looks a bit more Persona/TMS esc than previous games.

After playing TMS, this can only be a good thing. The game's hilarious.

• Like 1

Back in December, Shin Megami Tensei V’s producer, Kazuyuki Yamai, said that the game’s development was in a “build-and-scrap” phase.

In a recent interview with 4Gamer, however, Yamai revealed that the game is now in full-scale development.

At the start, the production of this project only had a few people at its core, with more and more people gradually becoming involved. Although this number is still increasing, I feel that the production staff has come together considerably to a point—and reaching a milestone—where we can say we’ve started full-scale development.

Yamai also added that he wants to make Shin Megami Tensei V in a way that works well for both home consoles and handhelds, by featuring impressive content for TVs as well as elements that lend the game to the casual feeling unique to a portable device, similar to what was in Shin Megami Tensei IV and Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse on 3DS.

Yamai thinks that the production time for one demon’s model is about three times as much as previous titles, due mostly to Atlus’ ambitions of including many demons suited to a higher hardware specification. 

• Thanks 1

*New Year's bump*

Please look forward to follow-up news on Shin Megami Tensei V.

Next Direct, right? Riiight?

Edited by Julius

Is that a female protagonist? If so, neat! The Atlus RPG protagonist is a proper sausage fest.

Do I need to play the previous games to enjoy/understand the story or are they independent from each other?

Even if you play the originals, you won't understand the story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

42 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Do I need to play the previous games to enjoy/understand the story or are they independent from each other?

They're independent from each other. Although, there's bound to be nods and references to previous games and all that. But the plots stand on their own.

The only exception I'm aware of is Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, which assumes that you've gotten the hardest ending in Shin Megami Tensei IV.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apparently, some info on Shin Megami Tensei V leaked via the official Japanese website last week with the release date of November 11th 2021 being listed. Here is an excerpt: 

The game will deliver a new demon experience like never before.

Story / Character
The main character, a high school student living an ordinary life, wanders into another world called “Da’ath.” The hero fuses with a mysterious man and becomes a “Naobino,” a forbidden being, throwing himself into a battle between gods and demons.

SMTV-Trailer-768x432.jpg

Da’ath
In the mysterious world “Da’ath,” where desert is found all over, various gods and demons are scattered about, including demons as large as mountains and giant birds flying in the sky.

Demons
As you explore Da’ath, you’ll face over 200 demons.

In addition to familiar demons, several demons newly drawn by Masayuki Doi, the character designer of this title, will also appear.

Shin-Megami-Tensei-V-Screenshot-3-768x43

System
Da’ath, an untamed land, is under attack by powerful demons. The protagonist clears his way through to pursue the truth. Make use of various means to advance, such as growing the power of Naobino and sometimes utilizing the power of the demons themselves.

The end of the game can diverge in many ways. What is the future you will choose?

https://personacentral.com/shin-megami-tensei-v-release-date-details-leak/

Fingers crossed we will find out more from the E3 Direct. 

Yeah people were alluding to it in the E3 thread, but careful not to spoiler it. :indeed:

Though I'm personally not that fussed about finally a releasedate for an long announced game. Looking forward to gameplay footage though.

Will spoiler if you think it is sensitive info but to me it reads like a generic SMT premise so...!

3 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Will spoiler if you think it is sensitive info but to me it reads like a generic SMT premise so...!

I haven't actually looked at the info, I think it's more the general sense of getting an update on this game.

Yeah, it was more of a case of avoiding spoiling what could be in the E3 Direct.

At this point, I think that cat's out of the bag now that this thread got bumped. So it doesn't matter now.

Edited by Glen-i

My bad. Didn't know you's are putting everything through a catchall thread before disseminating the info into individual game threads. Maybe a stickied notice or something would be good if you's plan to keep things in check.

Three Houses was my first thought as well. It's really ugly.

But I'm looking forward to the game.

It looked ok from trailers but I wasn't totally sold until I watched the treehouse stream last week. Battle UI and various other elements are straight from TMS so I should feel at home. It looks nice to have the same kinda gameplay as TMS but with a more open world as oppose to lots of corridors. Also the main character is so fabulous, I long to have hair as lush as his. 

I haven't actually played a SMT game so it might be a regular feature but I liked how you could decide to hire enemies to fight alongside you as well as just all out fighting against them. I'll be there day one for this. 

6 hours ago, Josh64 said:

It looked ok from trailers but I wasn't totally sold until I watched the treehouse stream last week. Battle UI and various other elements are straight from TMS so I should feel at home. It looks nice to have the same kinda gameplay as TMS but with a more open world as oppose to lots of corridors. Also the main character is so fabulous, I long to have hair as lush as his. 

I haven't actually played a SMT game so it might be a regular feature but I liked how you could decide to hire enemies to fight alongside you as well as just all out fighting against them. I'll be there day one for this. 

Oh yeah, Tokyo Mirage Sessions plays very similarly in battles. You'll be right at home here.

The key feature of Shin Megami Tensei is the Demon-collecting aspect. You recruit demons as you go. Leveling them up and learning skills from them. (Think of it like having the actual carnage from TMS as playable characters) Then fusing two together to get a stronger demon. Rinse and repeat.

One thing I did notice is that bar at the top right in battles. That's new to this series, but it looks to be very similar to the Special Performance bar from Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Josh64 said:

It looks like this one is shaping up to be a really good, player-friendly jumping off point for newcomers. But then if you've played Tokyo Mirage Sessions you're hardly a newcomer!

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this